A Fiendtastic DREAMY Cruise!! and Chillin in the Big Easy

What I like best about this room (well besides the awesome balcony) is that it truly is an handicap accessible. I have a cousin who has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair. I can't tell you how many times she has gone places and my uncle and aunt will call the hotel and ask a question such as, "Do you have roll in showers in your handicap rooms?" When told they do and book the room only to get there and find out nope no roll in showers. :argh: So, they have to find a different hotel. Every detail in this room goes to show that it was truly made to be an accessible room. Way to go Disney!

I absolutely agree!! Every detail was awesome. The automatic door, the pulldown clothesrod, and the bathroom were really awesome! The room was close to the forward elevators, and if you went to the balcony of the Disney Theater, you could go directly to a couple rows without any stairs at all.

Even in Accessible rooms at Disney, the doors are impossible, and really hard to find room for the scooter. I was really glad to find the plug on the nightstand as we really didn't want to duct tape an extension cord on the floor for Rick's CPAP. Also most accessible roll in showers, you get water EVERYWHERE on the floor. This had a drain all the way around and water didn't go past that drain!!! And while it wasn't pictured, there was a bench in the shower too.

The only slightly unaccesable item was the lock for the verandah door was way up high. Also, if the door wasn't locked you had to push it pretty hard to get it to latch.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, have time for another installment. OOOOOH, this is soooo cool. I just got back to my office and my dual wide ratio monitors were waitin on me!!! Photobucket on one monitor and Fort Fiends on the

What did Dave have to eat? Did they serve cheeseburgers? LOL

Thanks Carol! I really enjoyed this trip of yours. I too liked the pictures of the inside of the DME bus. As for Rick's surgery, if there is anything I can do to help out let me know. I don't know w

That video is amazing!

I can't believe the web cam operator zoomed in on you like that.

Fiends Rule!

But, I have to ask.

How much "liquid sustainment" did Lorna have?:

cruise.jpg

TCD

What makes you say I had any "liquid Sustainment" :rofl2:

Monday, September 5th, NASSAU

We woke up to the Nassau pier this morning.

100_3204.jpg

100_3205.jpg

100_3206.jpg

100_3207.jpg

100_3208.jpg

100_3209.jpg

100_3211.jpg

100_3212.jpg

100_3214.jpg

100_3217.jpg

100_3218.jpg

We had the "Sea and See" Tour scheduled, so we made our way to the meeting spot in the 687 Lounge

100_3219.jpg

100_3221.jpg

100_3222.jpg

After checking in, the group had a short walk to where the first boat was docked

100_3223.jpg

100_3224.jpg

100_3225.jpg

100_3226.jpg

100_3227.jpg

Coming next, lots of "famous" homes and fishies!!

One little note about gathering for the tour and exiting the ship. Everyone one on the ship was super diligent about making sure you had what you needed to get back on the ship before we left. We had to show our Key to the World Card and picture ID when checking in for the tour AND show it again before exiting the ship. You needed those items to get back on, so they wouldn't let anyone leave without them in their possession.

Also, the tour we scheduled was not accessible. We actually got a call from Special Services a few days before the cruise to remind us that this tour was not accessible. We discussed with them the details of the tour and definitely knew that Rick could still join. He uses the ECV for long distances, and the walk in shower is needed cause it's rough for him to get his knees over a tub. It was a short walk to the boat and with help, he was able to transfer to the excursion boats.

I just thought it was really thoughtful for them to think of these things.

OK, have time for another installment. OOOOOH, this is soooo cool. I just got back to my office and my dual wide ratio monitors were waitin on me!!! Photobucket on one monitor and Fort Fiends on the other, pickin pics is EASY!!!!!!

IMG_20110916_113408.jpg

(Sorry about that, just had to share)

As I said, the tour we booked was the See and Sea. It is a semi sub, similar to the Disney Subs, where you sit on little chairs and can see out the window. There is also a bus tour portion. What we didn't realize is you first board a regular boat and you get a narrated tour of the harbor as it takes you out to the semi sub.

Here are some of the pics on the regular boat. Some of the famous homes mentioned were Oprah Winfrey, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, The Jackson Estate, Tom Cruise.

First Off - Atlantis

100_3228.jpg

100_1574.jpg

Now the rest of the boat ride

100_3229.jpg

100_3230.jpg

100_3232.jpg

100_3233.jpg

100_3234.jpg

100_3236.jpg

100_3237.jpg

100_3238.jpg

100_3239.jpg

100_3240.jpg

100_3241.jpg

100_1584.jpg

100_1585.jpg

100_1575.jpg

100_1576.jpg

100_1577.jpg

100_1584.jpg

100_1586.jpg

We then met up with the semi sub and transferred over there.

The driver took us to the reefs and fed the fish and we saw lots of fishies:

100_1581.jpg

100_1578.jpg

100_1582.jpg

100_3251.jpg

100_3266.jpg

100_3256.jpg

100_3263.jpg

100_3266.jpg

I "think" this will ve a video. Hope it works

th_100_3250.jpg

Well that's probably my picture limit, so coming next, the bus portion!!

Great update as usual, Carol. I have on question. In the semi-sub did you fell claustrophobic? I've been wanting to do it but am afraid of embarrassing myself if I feel like I can't breathe.

No, not at all. There were only about 10 on our trip and the sub holds probably about 30, so we had plenty of room.

There is also plenty of room on deck, so if you need to go up top that isn't a problem either.

I am really enjoying your TR! :banana:

Never have I ever been on a cruise. But, if I do go on one, I will certainly get a room with a veranda!

Looks like a very nice dinner! Do you have to eat at a certain time and a certain place? Do you make reservations like ADRs?

And what if you run out of something, like booze or diet Coke, in your room? Is there a shop on board or do you wait until you stop?

I will have lots of these kinds of non-cruise-goer questions...

Keep it coming!

Great update as usual, Carol. I have on question. In the semi-sub did you fell claustrophobic? I've been wanting to do it but am afraid of embarrassing myself if I feel like I can't breathe.

I'm a bit claustrophobic, myself Doodle - I was thinking the same thing!

Never have I ever been on a cruise. But, if I do go on one, I will certainly get a room with a veranda!

Looks like a very nice dinner! Do you have to eat at a certain time and a certain place? Do you make reservations like ADRs?

And what if you run out of something, like booze or diet Coke, in your room? Is there a shop on board or do you wait until you stop?

Keep it coming!

Good questions -- I'd love to know, too!

Fantastic TR. The photos are amazing! I'm also amazed at the size of the ship. I knew they were big, but I couldn't picture just HOW big until compared to cars and such.

So cool that they recorded the departure. I was in such a hurry to race up to the computer that day and watch that I crammed my chicken curry in so fast I *still* have heartburn, lol. Good to watch it at a more leisurely pace. :lol:

Good questions -- I'd love to know, too!

Fantastic TR. The photos are amazing! I'm also amazed at the size of the ship. I knew they were big, but I couldn't picture just HOW big until compared to cars and such.

So cool that they recorded the departure. I was in such a hurry to race up to the computer that day and watch that I crammed my chicken curry in so fast I *still* have heartburn, lol. Good to watch it at a more leisurely pace. :lol:

On a DISNEY cruise you can bring your own booze/beer aboard (rooms have a small fridge) and they supply endless coke, sprite etc. If you run out of booze you can get some in port I imagine, but it's only a 4 day cruise so plan ahead. Disney does sell a cruise pack of rum, 5 small bottles but I don't know whether you can take that to your room right away or not

If you are on most other cruise lines you cannot bring booze on board, you have to buy theirs and coke etc costs as well. On both if you buy bottles from the duty free store you don't get it delivered to your room until your last night at sea. Both also have a corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the table

A lot depends on the cruiseline. There are some ships that have freestyle dining, where they basically have restaurants with 24/7 buffets and you just show up whenever.

With Disney, yes you do have a set dining time every night. Ours was "late" dining which was at 8:15. They have rotational dining. They have 3 main dining rooms. We were scheduled for a different restaurant each evening, but our servers came with us. There are also two different "fine dining restaurant" where you can pay an upcharge and eat there instead. You can also order room service (for free), or go up on Deck 11 to the Casual restaurant where we had lunch the first day and have dinner. So it's completely up to you.

There were free soda fountains up on Deck 11 near the pool to get what you wanted. If you wanted something and were far away from Deck 11, any of the bars would sell you soft drinks. I didn't see anywhere you could "buy a six pack" or individual soft drink in a bottle like you can at Disney. You can buy liquor on board in the shop by the bottle. It was actually pretty reasonable, but once you crack the seal on board, you can't leave with it. We brought individual wine coolers and the little Kahlua mudslides with us. We decided not to fool with mixing drinks. I brought 3 8 packs of Diet Dew with me. We didn't bring Diet Coke for Rick, but should have, cause hunting down the soft drink machine got to be a pain.

Keep it coming!

Thanks for reading!!!!!!

We saw a behind the scence tv show on one of the other cruise lines and they actually make their profits off the alcohol sold during the trip.

Doodle must have been on one of those ships. :rofl2:

Probably was :rofl2: And just a little hint - get friendly with a bartender, they will make better drinks for you :banana:

room service will bring a bucket of beer on ice to your room or any of the bars will sell you one. We used room service a couple of times and even went down to the bar next to the Walt Disney theater for one. We stopped at the bar just off the main lobby a couple of times and sat and people watched also.