Carol is POPin around the "World" at RADP XVI!! - December 1 - 7, 2011

radp-logo2.jpg

OK, first off a little introduction here. What is RADP, you ask??

RADP stands for rec.arts.disney.parks. OK, what is that??!!

Before the widespread use of web-based discussion groups, there was USENET. (Before that, compuserve, and there was probably something else before that).

A lot of internet providers carried USENET, and so did AOL. You subscribed and accessed it through your email account.

Now really the only way to get USENET is through Google groups, and that is how I read.

But honestly, I don't read the actual "group" much anymore. The SPAM posts are more prevalant than the real posts (totally unmoderated), and really not much content any more. Most folks have moved on to web-based groups, facebook, and so on.

I keep in touch through a private Yahoo group, and through the RADP group on facebook.

RADP also has a small website that lists the scheduled meets for each December and has a photo album of mosts years events. www.radp.org

Way back in 1996, Deb Wills (founder and webmaster of www.allearsnet.com), decided she wanted to get a group of folks together near Walts birthday. The first RADP meet was held at the Fountainview Cafe on Saturday, December 7th, 1996. From what I have read, there were about 25 folks in attendance.

The 2nd year, it was held the same Saturday in December near the Fountainview Cafe, but there were well over 100 people in attendance, and the group picture taking blocked traffic in Epcot.

From then on, it just got bigger and bigger, with events covering up to 2 weeks, and a cruise involved!!!!

Then Mousefest was born, (www.mousefest.org) and the event got HUGE!!!! Actually too huge. Mousefest only lasted 5 years. The webmasters of the various sites wanted to keep everything low budget for attendees, and for groups of that size, and the scope of events they were trying to organize, Disney and low budget just didn't mix. The biggest obstacle was they really needed an "Event Planning" professional to deal with Disney, and that just wasn't in the budget.

However, the core RADP group has lasted because we don't plan "events". We just plan times to meet up at various attractions and restaurants, and have a great 4 - 6 days every December doing silly stuff!!!

So now with the history out of the way, on to my report!!!!

I've been attending this annual pilgrammage since 1998, and have LOVED it every year. Since 2001, I've done the event while staying at the Fort, and my trip grew every year to where it was 2 weeks!!!

Well, last year, I had to cancel completely due to work issues, and this year, I made the trip shorter and stayed at Pop Century with Free Dining.

As ya'll know, since traveling in my T@B and going to the Fort, we have really turned into Fort relaxin folks!!! If we are in a park 3 hours in a day, that's a LOT. Well, this trip is the COMPLETE opposite of that. Park and resort hopping filled, 7 am to midnight days for 6 days straight!!

I had frequent flyer miles on Delta, so got a flight departing on December 1st, and returning home at the crack of dawn on December 7th.

Hope you enjoy this report!!! First day coming up soon!!!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love the pictures, Carol!! Thanks for taking us with you. :)

Mini Golf! :jumpforjoy I hope you remembered to "swing those hips and suck in that gut" :rofl2:

Come on, that is way too easy. It has to be the part where they feature Ricky Bobby! Oh, sorry, I forgot that they don't have any movies from this century. So, I will change my guess. It's got to be t

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Well, I know I said my trip started on December 1st, but as usual, there was a snag in my plans.

In my original flight schedule, I was leaving around 3pm, and getting to Disney 8ish in the evening.

Well, my flight times changed, and the 3pm flight to Atlanta was cancelled, which moved me to a noon flight out of Huntsville, and 4 hours in Atlanta.

I called Delta, and they agreed to move my ATL – MCO leg back also, which got me into Orlando around 4pm!! What to do??

Because of the earlier arrival, my friends who were listed on my room reservation to get the free dining, but staying off property, suggested we try Hoop De Doo. So we booked the 8:30 show!!! Cool!!

Well, then my flight time changed again, and my arrival to MCO would be 5:30pm. Still doable.

However, when I go to check-in online on the 30th, the system told me I had to check in at the aiport.

Uh Oh, what did that mean? Well, I looked at flights, and the ATL-MCO leg, there was not an empty seat on the plane, which meant it was probably overbooked. Frequent Flier tickets have the lowest priority as far as bumping goes.

I didn’t want to miss Hoop, but more importantly, I didn’t want to miss having a chance to go visit Christmas decorations at the Fort, and shopping at Meadows for the new merchandise!! I knew my busy schedule would only allow for visiting the Fort on Thursday night!!

So, I decided then to try for an earlier flight. I called Delta, and changing the flight in advance was going to be mucho dollars, BUT for a mere $50, they had something called same day standby.

So instead of working half day and then heading for the airport, I decided to head for the airport early Thursday morning.

Oh, FYI, my friends were driving, so my suitcase left for Disney on Tuesday!!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Rick takes me to the airport and I arrive about 9am. I was shootin for the 11am flight that would get me to the World about 3.

Well, the ticket agent said the 9ish flight was delayed and not leaving till about 10am, and would get me to the World about 1pm. Did I want it, YES!!!!!

So through security I went, and for me these days security takes a little extra time because of my electric cigarettes. They don’t know what they are, LOL!! So my carryon gets hand search EVERY single time.

Flights went well and I arrive at MCO.

Since many of us campers don’t see the airport much, I snapped a few pictures on my way down to Magical Express.

100_4539.jpg

100_4540.jpg

100_4541.jpg

My DME Bus was actually a cruiseline bus.

100_4542.jpg

100_4543.jpg

Some pics along the way.

100_4544.jpg

100_4546.jpg

100_4548.jpg

100_4549.jpg

100_4550.jpg

100_4551.jpg

100_4552.jpg

100_4553.jpg

100_4554.jpg

Caribbean Beach was our first stop

100_4555.jpg

100_4556.jpg

100_4557.jpg

100_4558.jpg

100_4559.jpg

100_4560.jpg

Upon arriving at POP, I went to the online checkin desk to see if they would let me check in. I caught my friends by surprise by arriving early, and they were busy at the moment and couldn’t arrive till about 5pm.

With the Free Dining, there were reports that your entire party had to be present for checkin.

Apparently some folks were booking extra Imaginary guests in their room just to get the extra dining credits.

They were holding on to the extra tickets for future use or just ditching them.

No problem!! I showed my drivers license, she handed me the online checkin package and gave me my room location.

I was in 2157. A first floor room in the 50’s section (Jukebox building) overlooking Hourglass lake.

The only request I had put in was 1st floor. My room actually had some bushes right outside, but it was a quiet room!

I called my friends with my success, so we set up a meeting at the Settlement Bus Stop at 7:00pm!

Here are a few pics as I walked toward my room.

Lady is getting a new paint job

100B4564.jpg

100B4565.jpg

100B4566.jpg

Here are my room pics.

100_4568.jpg

100_4570.jpg

100_4571.jpg

100_4572.jpg

100_4573.jpg

100_4574.jpg

While in the room, I got my various “plugs” plugged in, ditched my little carryon bag, and transferred what I needed to my cargo pockets. I am a no bags kind of gal. Cargo pants or shorts are the name of the game for me!!

I then proceeded to the bus stop to head for the FORT!!!!! I had some exploring time!!!

Some pics of Art of Animation construction across the lake.

100_4575.jpg

100_4576.jpg

100_4577.jpg

100_4578.jpg

The Bowling Pin Stairwell

100_4579.jpg

The “Decades” signs out front

100_4580.jpg

The wheelchair line rules. I wish more of the bus stops had signs like this!!!

100_4581.jpg

Well, my initial plan was bus to MK, and boat to the Fort, but just as I walked up a Studios bus arrived. Why not!! I got on.

I got to the Studios and transferred to a Fort bus.

100_4582.jpg

100_4583.jpg

100_4584.jpg

The Magic Kingdom Toll Booth

100_4585.jpg

Now, I’m pretty sure that when I arrived at the Lodge, I got off there and transferred to a Fort/Yellow bus as I wanted to go to Settlement first.

Coming next, merchandise pics, Fort decoration pics, and the Hoop De Doo Revue!!!!

Carol, I am really enjoying your TR, I especially like the Studios Bus Depot pics.

Sometimes it's the most common, frequently traveled, but rarely pictured spots

that I really like. I guess it's the way they invoke good memories.

So thanks, good job. :)

I'm in!

I have heard you speak of this group before.

It will be interesting to see how the hard core Disney freaks do it!

TCD

Thanks!! We've actually calmed down a lot!! Remember, we've been doin this for 16 years now, and we're all 16 years older!!! I was feelin the pain this trip!!

I'm in too!!

Thanks!!

:popcorn:

You gonna share??

Great Start. Looking forward to this one!

Thanks!!!

Yahoo for scoring an earlier flight! Can't wait for more!! :)

I was happy!! I would have been really pissed to spend my afternoon sitting in Atlanta!!!

Carol, I am really enjoying your TR, I especially like the Studios Bus Depot pics.

Sometimes it's the most common, frequently travel, but rarely pictured spots

that I really like. I guess it's the way they invoke good memories.

So thanks, good job. :)

Thanks H!! Since I was basically solo, I spent a lot of time just walking and snapping away!! However, that has a bad side effect, I usually missed some good picture opportunities later each day cause my battery was TOAST after about 200 shots.

Whoa, you are flying through this report!

I can't believe how smooth everything went for you.

I love the fact that you just checked in to your hotel, but instead of hanging around in that nice room you hopped a bus to the Fort.

You are a true Fiend!

Way to go!

TCD

Well, that's how I roll!!! Also, I was pretty sure that Thursday was gonna be my only Fort visit of the week, so I wanted to maximize the opportunity!!!! Plus, what is there to do in a hotel room, except lay on the bed, or sit in the teeny chairs and watch TV. My suitcase hadn't arrived yet, so didn't even have to unpack :-)

I'm in! You know I have actually seen a thread "on another board" where peopled were throwing a fit because they didn't actually have a DME bus. I don't remember if they said it was a mears bus or a cruise bus. You can't please some folks! I'm so glad you had such a smooth start!

Well, let’s fly along some more!!!

I arrived at the Fort and my first destination was to be the Settlement Trading Post. As I passed by Judy’s site she was out and about, so I sat and chatted with her for a bit!!

She was still in the process of swapping out from Thanksgiving to Christmas, but her site was beautiful as always!!

I then stopped in the trading post and snapped these pictures of available merchandise.

100_4586.jpg

100_4587.jpg

100_4588.jpg

100_4589.jpg

I also learned that Settlement only carries the clothes, to get the magnet, car tags, etc. had to go to Meadows, so I took a stroll to the Meadows.

Some pics along the way.

100_4590.jpg

I just loved the colors on this motorhome. Most RVs actually have some pretty BAD colors and graphics on them. I’m sure this was mucho money, but I liked it all the same

100_4591.jpg

Some more decorations

100_4593.jpg

The wagon ride

100_4594.jpg

100_4595.jpg

I made my purchases at Settlement. I got the fleece pullover and the brown t-shirt and the license plate frame. They were sold out of the tags and magnets.

I also got my first Snack Credit of the trip, a slushie!!!

I started walking back to the Settlement and a bus pulled up to the 800 Loop stop just as I was passing, so I hopped on.

I then wandered around the Settlement for a few pics.

The Fort Tree

100_4596.jpg

TCD mentioned in his report that the Hoop De Doo signs were missing. Well they are BACK, with the revised times.

100_4598.jpg

100_4599.jpg

The Trading Post Sign with decorations

100_4601.jpg

The transportation sign posted at the marina also has the updated times.

100_4602.jpg

Marina decorations

100_4603.jpg

I didn’t hang by the marina long cause the wind was CHILLY.

So wandered some more and got video of the Trans Siberian Orchestra Setup across the main road from Hilda. (Click on the picture and it brings up the video).

th_100_4604.jpg

Part of Hilda’s decorations

100_4606.jpg

I believe this is Jeannie?

100_4608.jpg

Minnie and her bubbles

100_4610.jpg

100_4612.jpg

It was then close to 7pm, so I went to the Settlement Stop to wait for my friends.

Because of the extra web browsing and facebooking and fort fiending I do on my phone while I’m on the road, my phone was about dead at that point, so didn’t want to miss them.

Some garland at the bus stop

100_4613.jpg

Bus stop pictures

100_4615.jpg

100_4616.jpg

Another wagon ride pic

100_4617.jpg

100_4618.jpg

My friends arrived and I showed them a couple sites near the Settlement, then we picked up our Hoop De Doo tickets and waited on the show to start.

Pioneer Hall

100_4621.jpg

Coming Next the Hoop De Doo!!!

I'm in! You know I have actually seen a thread "on another board" where peopled were throwing a fit because they didn't actually have a DME bus. I don't remember if they said it was a mears bus or a cruise bus. You can't please some folks! I'm so glad you had such a smooth start!

Geez, what a thing to throw a conniption over. Hey I was happy!! I walked downstairs, walked through the line and boarded a bus, then we left about 2 minutes later!!! Good DME experience!!!

The wheelchair line rules. I wish more of the bus stops had signs like this!!!

100_4581.jpg

I don't think people are reading them though.

You know I have actually seen a thread "on another board" where peopled were throwing a fit because they didn't actually have a DME bus. I don't remember if they said it was a mears bus or a cruise bus.

DME, CL, & the yellow or white buses are all operated by Mears, not Disney. No pixie dust.

Carol - Great TR so far. Talking about RADP and especially MouseFest brought back some great memories. A pile of us used to do our best to make it to MF every year. We always had such a great time. Crazy to think that our paths may have crossed back then and we didn't even realize it!

Carol-

I love the Fort photos, and can't wait to hear about the Hoop Dee Doo!

I am sorry for you that the magnets and license plates were sold out, but it's good for us all that those things sold that well. Hopefully that will lead to even more Fort-themed merchandise.

The camper on the site across from Hilda is Jeannie. Very nice lady, and a FOTCD.

TCD

I don't think people are reading them though.

DME, CL, & the yellow or white buses are all operated by Mears, not Disney. No pixie dust.

Yeah, only so much can be done if people aren't aware of their surroundings

You know that and I know that, but once again folks don't read or pay attention. I've seen somebody frantically putting their yellow tags on their bags as they were boarding the DME BUS!!!!!!

Carol - Great TR so far. Talking about RADP and especially MouseFest brought back some great memories. A pile of us used to do our best to make it to MF every year. We always had such a great time. Crazy to think that our paths may have crossed back then and we didn't even realize it!

Wow!! That would have been cool if we had seen each other!!!!

You ought to try and make a RADP meet next year. It is still a LOT of fun!!!

Carol-

I love the Fort photos, and can't wait to hear about the Hoop Dee Doo!

I am sorry for you that the magnets and license plates were sold out, but it's good for us all that those things sold that well. Hopefully that will lead to even more Fort-themed merchandise.

The camper on the site across from Hilda is Jeannie. Very nice lady, and a FOTCD.

TCD

Yeah, I was bummed about not getting those. But yes, selling out is a GOOD THING!!!

You know what's funny is I haven't actually met/spoken with Hilda or Jeannie yet. It wasn't until the last couple of trips that I got to know Judy very well. I just feel weird, like a crazy fan trying to talk to a celebrity. That is basically their home, and don't want to invade. I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Hoop De Doo pics coming up soon!!

Someone say RADP?

69360_120847821305872_100001419647492_145331_3953422_n.jpg

I made it to the AK day last year and for the Meet & Greet Photo Shoot at International Gateway ...

74671_136102783113709_100001419647492_225006_5106218_n.jpg

I've got one of those buttons!! Except mine is the original Mickey Ear @@@ symbol. (There is also a story about why it changed too).

Oh, that picture makes me cry!!! The one and only one I missed!!!!

On to the Hoop De Doo!!!

Here we are waiting on things to get started.

We were towards the back. But our table and seats were elevated, so we had a good view.

Personally, I really don’t like stool type chairs, like my feet on the floor, but it was fine.

100_4622.jpg

My friends. Remember our “Fiends by Proxy” from the cruise. David and Buff

We weren’t takin food pictures, but you can see the salad in the bucket, and cornbread crumbs on our plates.

100_4623.jpg

Yours truly

100_4624.jpg

Some show pictures

100_4625.jpg

100_4626.jpg

Six bits and a wide shot of the room

100_4628.jpg

They don’t always perform on the stage, they come into the audience.

100_4633.jpg

Playin with the wash boards. It gets LOUD with those goin.

100_4634.jpg

100_4635.jpg

100_4636.jpg

100_4637.jpg

100_4640.jpg

100_4641.jpg

And that’s it!! It was the Christmas themed show, so no napkin waving.

After leaving the Hoop, we hopped on a bus to go to Outpost, but then remembered I had left my purchases at Judy’s site, so got off at Loop 2000 to wait on a bus to go back.

Retrieved our stuff, then went to the parking lot, and David and Buff gave me a ride to Pop. (They had my suitcase, remember).

I got my stuff unpacked and got online. I had to use the Disney internet. The one bad thing about a first floor room at the Values, is little to no phone signal. Couldn’t use my wifi connection on the phone.

Night night!! A busy day coming tomorrow!!!