Carol is POPin around the "World" at RADP XVI!! - December 1 - 7, 2011

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love the pictures, Carol!! Thanks for taking us with you. :)

Mini Golf! :jumpforjoy I hope you remembered to "swing those hips and suck in that gut" :rofl2:

Come on, that is way too easy. It has to be the part where they feature Ricky Bobby! Oh, sorry, I forgot that they don't have any movies from this century. So, I will change my guess. It's got to be t

I love the HDDR photos!

But that danged new Six Bits seems to work every night!

You have turned your friends into real Disney fans, huh?

TCD

Yeah, they have actually been visiting with us since 2004 (or 2003). They probably go down as much or more than we do.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Just a quick post before I run out to lunch.

Today is Animal Kingdom Day!!

The schedule of events for today!!

Everest Fastpass

9:00am @ Animal Kingdom

Attention explorers! If you plan on riding during our 10:30am Expedition Everest meet, make sure to head directly to Expedition Everest and pick up a Fastpass before going to the safari meet!

Kiliminjaro Safari Meet

9:30am @ Animal Kingdom

Location: Meet to the left of the Kilimanjaro Safari entrance

Hosts: Sean and Pam

To kick off our 16th annual RADP Holiday Meet, we're going on a safari through the African savannah of Disney's Animal Kingdom! Our wildlife reserve tour gathers at 9:30am, just to the left of the main entrance of Kilimanjaro Safaris. The elephants and warthogs aren't the only wildlife we're likely to see on this RADP adventure! Be prepared to reunite with old friends and make some new ones as we say "Jambo!" to our 16th annual meet!

Expedition Everest Meet

10:30am @ Animal Kingdom

Hosted by: Carol

We're headed straight to the heart of the Himalayas for a treacherous train ride and a close encounter of the yeti kind! Our trek begins at 2:00pm at RADP base camp, which is across from the main entrance of Expedition Everest. If you plan on riding during this meet, please pick up a Fastpass earlier in the day, and ensure that your return time is 2:00pm or earlier.

Festival of the Lion King

1:00pm @ Animal Kingdom

Meet near the attraction sign in front

Hosts: Bruce and Jack

Come experience the pageantry and tribal rhythms of Festival of the Lion King with RADP! Please meet in the area just past the stroller parking area for this colorful and energetic interactive show. Due to the popularity of this show, please plan to arrive promptly at 1:00, we so can be assured to get into the 1:30 show.

It's Tough To Be A Bug Meet

2:00pm @ Animal Kingdom

Meet just outside the entrance

Hosts: Sean and Jan

Whether we're talking about ants, grasshoppers, stink bugs or spiders, it's TOUGH to be a bug! So at 2:30pm, we're meeting at the main entrance sign for It's Tough to be a Bug so we can pay a little respect to our millions of creepy, crawly friends. They've made us honorary bugs, so now we're making them honorary RADPers! Be sure to grab your 3D glasses and get ready to bug out!

Dawa Gift Fight

3:15pm @ Animal Kingdom

Meet at the Dawa Bar

Host: Julie

RADP's turning sweet 16! And no 16th birthday party is complete without lots and lots of presents! In order to participate, please bring a wrapped or bagged $5 gift (it can be a nice gift, or a silly gag gift) and get ready to trade those gifts "Bad Santa" style! The Dawa bar will be nearby if you would like a spiked drink from the punch bowl, and the parade will be cheerfully passing by in the background as well. Last year's gift exchange meet was a blast, so don't miss your chance to join in the fun this year!

So that was the schedule for the day!! The “actual” coming soon!!

So now for my first FULL day at the World.

The day started with a stroll to the bus stop

100_4643.jpg

The bowling pin pool and the laundry area themed to a bowling shoe rack

100_4644.jpg

YoYo Stairwell

100_4645.jpg

Resort Map

100_4646.jpg

POP has a Golf Cart!!!

100_4648.jpg

Then I get a bus to Animal Kingdom

The AK tree!!

100_4649.jpg

Waiting on Rope Drop at Animal Kingdom

100_4650.jpg

Now my friend David uses an ECV at Disney, so he ran off on the scooter to fetch the Everest Fastpasses for us.

So Buff and myself were able to leisurely stroll to Africa to wait on the Kilimanjaro Safari meet to start.

Our group picture before riding Safari

100_4651.jpg

In line for the safari

100_4652.jpg

Now, unfortunately, we DID NOT actually ride the safari this morning.

We got through the line and the backup for the accessible vehicle was so long, and the rest of our large group went through the regular line, so we decided to bail and wait on the large group at the exit.

It’s not so much the attractions, as spending time with our friends and running our mouths.

So, what does the schedule say next?? Oh Expedition Everest!! And I was the host.

Now being the host is no big deal, it just means being at the appointed spot a few minutes early wearing a Red RADP button so that any new folks, or folks that were coming to just specific meets knew where to go.

Folks arriving at the appointed spot

100_4653.jpg

He was doing “something” silly with that small sign above his head

100_4654.jpg

More folks gathering

100_4655.jpg

In line for Everest and LOTS of laughter

100_4656.jpg

Some of our attraction photos

100_4657.jpg

100_4659.jpg

100_4660.jpg

A great shot of Everest as we continued on through the park

100_4661.jpg

Now we are heading for Camp Minnie Mickey for Festival of the Lion King!!

100_4662.jpg

This is a peek into the old Pocahontas Theater

100_4663.jpg

100_4664.jpg

The gang just relaxin with a fishin pole

100_4665.jpg

Donald is not having much luck

100_4666.jpg

Chillin out enjoying each other’s company

100_4668.jpg

100_4669.jpg

AK Christmas decorations

100_4670.jpg

David and Buff

100_4671.jpg

Inside the Festival of the Lion King Theater

100_4673.jpg

100_4674.jpg

After FOTLK, a lot of us went over to Flame Tree Barbecue for lunch

100_4675.jpg

More to continue soon!!

One last update before the weekend.

Then it was time for It’s Tough to Be a Bug!!

Flik

100_4677.jpg

Waiting in the preshow room

100_4678.jpg

Some of the little details

100_4679.jpg

100_4680.jpg

100_4681.jpg

100_4682.jpg

100_4683.jpg

More of the group waiting

100_4684.jpg

The big mean grasshopper whos name escapes me at the moment

100_4685.jpg

After that it was time for our Dawa Gift Fight Meet.

Just another excuse to sit around and enjoy each other’s company, have a drink or two, and we did our Dirty Santa Swap.

I ended up with some cool glasses that if you wear them during fireworks or light displays, you get neat designs.

100_4687.jpg

At that was it for the group meets for the day. Some of the group went to EMH at Epcot, some went to dinners, it was just kind of a do whatever evening.

After the bar meet, Dave, Buff, and myself decided to give the Safari another try since we missed it this morning.

100_4688.jpg

Some animals on the savannah

100_4691.jpg

100_4692.jpg

100_4693.jpg

100_4694.jpg

100_4696.jpg

100_4697.jpg

100_4701.jpg

After the safari we headed out of Animal Kingdom to go to Downtown Disney, we had some shoppin to do.

The Animal Kingdom Tree at night.

100_4702.jpg

100_4703.jpg

For some reason David and Buff had parked at TTC. I guess they thought we would be doin more park hoppin, but anyway, we took a bus to TTC, then took their car over to DTD.

We completed our purchases, then went our separate ways.

It was still early, so what to do?? Go back over to the Fort of course!!!!

So I waited on a Fort bus at DTD, and one pulled up almost right away.

The bus driver specifically asked me if I was going to the campground. He also asked the family getting on behind me and got a positive answer.

Well, we pull up to the Outpost Stop, and of course this family exclaims, “THIS ISN’T WILDERNESS LODGE”

GEEZ, LOUISE

I took pity on them, and directed them to a Yellow Bus, and told them to stay on once I got off at Settlement.

People just don’t read, listen, or turn their brains on!!!!!, OY!!

The bus driver specifically asked me if I was going to the campground. He also asked the family getting on behind me and got a positive answer.

Well, we pull up to the Outpost Stop, and of course this family exclaims, “THIS ISN’T WILDERNESS LODGE”

Can't say the driver didn't try. I guess it must happen to him on regular basis for him to feel that he needs to check.

Can't say the driver didn't try. I guess it must happen to him on regular basis for him to feel that he needs to check.

Yeah well as you know the Fort and WL are at the same bus stop at DTD, but are seperate buses, so I'm sure that is why he asked.

I'm am enjoying every minute of your trip, Carol. I'm exhausted just reading it but it sure looks like you were having a blast!

Thanks!! I was pretty exhausted by the end of the trip myself, but I wouldn't miss it for the world!!!! (Secretly, I sometimes wish I had brought Rick's ECV)

Great TR! There are definitely folks who don't have a clue out there! I just try to remember that everyone doesn't even realize there is more than one park, much less all the different resorts.

Yeah, I also forget that there are folks that don't absorb as much information as they can before going somewhere

Haven't had a chance to reply yet, but wanted to let you know I am really enjoying your report. I especially like the pictures you took on your way to the POP while you were on the bus. Having only been to the Fort it was neat to see some other resorts.

Well thanks!!! I've been fortunate that I've at least visited or had a meal at all of them. It really is neat to see other places. You should go resort hopping sometime, it is fun!!!

Love it Carol! I actually really like the POP. My parents have stayed there a few times and enjoyed it ! Great photos!

Yeah, I like the theming at POP just fine, and they did some neat things to the rooms to make them just a bit nicer than All-Stars, however the size of the resort exceeds the "facilities" capacity sometimes.

One bus stop, one food court, one checkin desk for almost 3,000 rooms can make for crowded situations. We really like All-Star Music, but I won't go NEAR the All-Stars during Pop Warner weekend, so POP it was!!!

If they start sharing a bus with Art of Animation, OY!!!!!

:whew: I leave for a few days and you are on page 3! But I'm caught up now. Sounds like a you had a good time, even though you stayed in a HOTEL!

It's funny, looking through your pictures, I happen to have some very similar ones. ;)

Sounds like a blast doing all this with a large group. Sometimes it can be tough coordinating the actions of that many people, so it's good they plan things well and allow for folks to go do their own thing too.

It is much simpler than even that Dave. The planning committee decides on a few attractions at each park and an activity or two at resorts and announce the schedule. Folks show up when and where they desire.

as always Carol, an excellent TR.

Thank ya, thank ya very much!!

Enjoying the TR!!! Thanks for sharing. :jumpforjoy

My pleasure!!

:whew: I leave for a few days and you are on page 3! But I'm caught up now. Sounds like a you had a good time, even though you stayed in a HOTEL!

It's funny, looking through your pictures, I happen to have some very similar ones. ;)

Your excused, I mean you were at the Fort!!!! I would have LOVED to have been at the Fort instead of a HOTEL!!!

Continuing on.....

As I got to the Fort, the first thing I did was go to Dave's Site.

Here are a few pics of his castle display. Now, you really need video to appreciate this, but my camera battery was gettin low and there were a few more Fort pictures I wanted to take.

100_4704.jpg

100_4705.jpg

100_4706.jpg

100_4707.jpg

I then wandered through the rest of 700 Loop

100_4708.jpg

100_4709.jpg

Then headed through the Meadows area over to see 1600 Loop

100_4710.jpg

100_4711.jpg

100_4712.jpg

100_4713.jpg

And here it is, the large display in the 1600 Loop

100_4714.jpg

100_4715.jpg

100_4716.jpg

100_4718.jpg

100_4719.jpg

100_4720.jpg

100_4721.jpg

100_4722.jpg

100_4723.jpg

100_4724.jpg

100_4726.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my little taste of the Fort that I enjoyed this trip!!

After leaving 1600 Loop, I headed back to Settlement and caught the late Hoop De Doo buses that take folks back to the resorts. However, I was stop #6 of 6. We went to the Poly, the Grand, Beach Club, Dolphin, and Carribbean Beach then to POP. It had gotten chilly again though, so wasn't feelin a boat ride at the moment.

Tomorrow, another action packed day at EPCOT!!