A Trip Report Sure to Win Applesauce. . .TCD's NYE 2011 TR!

are you falling down on the job? No EWP to torture Lou, who does not read TR, with...... :rofl2:

I know. But I like Lou. I don't want to torture him. And the poor guy has good reason to dislike the EWP.

I love hearing the EWP I knew we had 10 mins to get to the beach for the Fireworks

Well, that isn't always true though.

The EWP is always at 9:45, but the fireworks aren't always at 10.

I suggest you check out Where the Blacktop Ends by Keith Urban.

Its on my Friday after work playlist.

I usually listen to a sports station in the car, but sometimes I listen to country music. I don't recall hearing this song before. I like it. I'll add it to my list.

TCD

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're going to visit the Four Seasons, am I right??

YEA DAVE!!! WHERE?!?!?

This whole "spankula" thing...am I the only one reminded of the movie "Stripes", where Bill Murray gives the girl "The Aunt Jemimah Treatment"?

We have reached the point in this report where it is time for me to reveal the meaning of the odd title to this trip report.

Didn't any of you wonder what the heck "win applesauce" means?

I left out a little incident that happened on our drive to Sea World on Friday.

So, I need to back-track just a bit to explain things.

As I mentioned earlier in this report, I was a bit rushed in my packing and leaving for this trip. As a former Boy Scout, I truly live the motto Be Prepared. So, usually, I am quite careful with planning our visits to the Fort- from what I am going to bring all the way to the grocery purchases.

But on this trip, I got held up in Tallahassee helping my oldest DD move, so I had just the morning of our departure to get ready. I usually take the evening before and the morning of to get ready. That meant I had to delegate. Mrs. TCD offered to do the grocery shopping, and the twins helped with gathering everything and getting it packed.

One of the food items that we always make during a NYE visit to the Fort is pulled pork. The recipe I use calls for a big Boston Butt Roast. Mrs. TCD called me from the grocery store as I was packing for our trip to let me know that they didn't have a big Boston Butt Roast. I asked her to see if they had some pork tenderloins, and they did. So that is what she bought. That meant I needed a new recipe. I know S70 has shared her pulled pork recipe, and that she uses pork tenderloins, but I did not have time to go online to look for it, so I asked the twins to see if they could find a pulled pork recipe on-line. Twin #1 found one and printed it. I asked her to read just the ingredients to me real quick, and she did. It just called for the tenderloin, root beer, and bbq sauce. Easy. I told her to be sure to bring it along, and thought no more about the recipe.

So, that brings us up to our visit to Sea World. I planned to cook the pulled pork the next day, and while we were driving back, I asked the girls if one of them would read the recipe to me as I was driving. I wanted to plan for when I would get the pork started. And, I wanted to make sure there was nothing else we needed, as we would be passing some grocery stores on the way back to the Fort.

So Twin #2 read the recipe to me. It was simple, and we had everything we needed.

Then she asked, "Hey Dad, what does guaranteed to win applesauce mean?" I asked her what she was talking about. She said that at the beginning of the recipe, it said that this recipe was guaranteed to win applesauce. I told her I had no idea what that meant. My first thought was that it must be some country saying that I had never heard before. Mrs. TCD has a book of country sayings, and there are a bunch of them in there that I haven't heard before and make very little sense, so I figured that "guaranteed to win applesauce" was just one of those phrases. But, to be sure, I asked Twin #2 to read exactly what it said. Maybe the context would help explain it. I heard her pick up the paper again, and there was a pause as she looked for what she had seen. Then she said "oh no!," and we asked her why she said "oh no!" She then said she had mis-read the sentence.

It actually said that the recipe was guaranteed to win applause.

Applause. Not applesauce.

D'oh.

Twin #2 said "oh no" because she knew what a little mistake like that meant.

In the TCD gang, it means a lot of teasing.

That's how we roll.

So we now have a new saying in the TCD gang.

If we think something is going to be good, we say that it is guaranteed to win applesauce.

Twin #2 hates it when we say that.

So that's where the title came from.

Now you know.

I am telling this all to you now, because we have reached the part of our trip where I put the pork in the crock pot and got it going.

In case you are wondering, here's the recipe that I used:

IMG_2774.jpg

Originally, I planned to get a cup of root beer from the Meadow Snack Bar.

But, I have seen recipes like this that use Dr. Pepper or Coke rather than root beer.

So, we decided to use something that we call "brew."

That is half Mr. Pibb Extra and half Cherry Coke. That's a drink that the twins invented based on the fact that both of these soft drinks are available at the Trail's End drink machine. We often stop at the Settlement for a brew.

So, I did a TCD tweak to the recipe.

Instead of root beer, I used brew.

After I got the crock pot going it was time to go out for my normal morning patrol.

And that is what I did next.

TCD

So we now have a new saying in the TCD gang. If we think something is going to be good, we say that it is guaranteed to win applesauce. Twin #2 hates it when we say that.

As I said before, you better keep an eye out for #2. :rofl2: As in sleep with one eye open. :clint:

:heart:

So how did the BBQ turn out?

We kind of jumped around a bit there with the video and the story about the thread title.

So, to keep this all straight, we are picking up with Saturday morning, December 31.

It was a beautiful, sunny morning.

It had not gotten as cold overnight as it had on the other nights, and it was very pleasant out as I set out to check on things.

As I looped around the 1500 loop on the way out, I stopped for a moment to take this photo. This small Class C had been parked on this site the whole time we had been here, and according to the parking pass, these folks were staying until January 9th. The thing is, I never saw them. I have posted a lot of photos of campsites loaded with all kinds of stuff, but these folks had nothing. To each his own:

IMG_2757.jpg

In some ways, I envy people like that. Keep it simple. Just sleep at the site, and then go have fun. When it's time to go, you've got nothing to pack. Maybe I will try that some time. Probably not.

When the holidays roll around, I always see lots of folks who put up a tent on their site. It's a great way to host visitors. On this trip, more than normal, I noticed folks setting up tents further and further from their actual sites. As far as I can tell, nothing is ever said about this. I think one of these days I'm going to show up and pitch a tent half-way in between the back of two sites. The plan would be that each camper would think the tent was pitched by the other, and I would get to stay for free. I think it's a brilliant plan. Anyway, here's a tent way off the pad in the 500 loop:

IMG_2758.jpg

And, here's a tent way off the pad on the 300 loop:

IMG_2760.jpg

This was the third morning of this visit, and this is the third time I have posted a photo of this view. Each day was prettier than the next:

IMG_2761.jpg

I decided that I needed to go and look around the horse barn, so I headed that way. Along the way, I passed Clementine's beach and saw this boat heading off with some early risers to the MK:

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

I noticed that something was perched up on the old River Country pavillion:

IMG_2765.jpg

It was a small hawk:

IMG_2766.jpg

There wasn't much to see around the barn. I did get this photo of one of the sleighs, since they would soon be put away for another year:

IMG_2767.jpg

I first saw this little pony wagon during my Thanksgiving visit. It looked to me like they had added the lights and some other things since I last saw it. I still don't know what this will be used for, but it obviously has been brought here and prepared for some type of use. It is too small for the big horses that they have pulling the big wagon, and a castmember told me this is a pony wagon:

IMG_2768.jpg

I picked this document up at the office when I visited the day before. I kind of just scanned over it then, but I had a moment to read it this morning, and I took a photo of the front and back so I could share it in this report:

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

I found it interesting how WDW management was clearly trying to direct the resort guests to either Epcot or Hollywood Studios on the 31st. Note how they don't even mention the MK fireworks on the 31st. I'm sure that this is an effort at trying to keep the MK from getting over-crowded. I would like to know more about the fireworks at Hollywood Studios. I haven't heard anything about them. If our passes were good, I would have gone over there to check them out- plus Hollywood Studios was staying open until 3. That would be fun. I am thinking about maybe springing for full passes next year so we can try that.

I mentioned earlier that they were changing over the menus in the Polynesian quick serve restaurant to the breakfast menu when we were there the night before. We all noticed the Tonga Toast. DIT mentioned how good Tonga Toast is in his Thanksgiving trip report. Well, none of us had ever tried Tonga Toast before. I've heard people rave about it, but we have never gone to the trouble of going over to the Polynesian at breakfast time. When our passes are active, if we are up early, we are not going to breakfast, we are going to a park. But we did not have active passes on this trip, and we all decided that night to come back in the morning for Tonga Toast.

Since the twins love to sleep, the plan was for me to wait until about 9:30 to get them up, and then for us to head over to the Polynesian by 10. I planned to drive. That way, we knew we would make it before they stopped serving breakfast.

So, I got the girls up, and while they got ready, I headed down to Trail's End for one more cup of coffee.

My efforts were rewarded when a guy with the best mullet I have seen in years walked by and stopped at the check-in area of the restaurant. I just had to take a photo:

IMG_2775.jpg

I know you can't see that great mullet in that photo, so here's a zoom:

IMG_27751.jpg

That, unfortunately, is the best I can do.

You can see how nice that hair is from the back view.

Trust me, that was one sweet mullet.

We headed out from the Fort right at 10, and were at the guard shack at the Polynesian before 10:15. I flashed the guard my resort ID, and I had my parking pass displayed, so I expected him to just wave me on, like they always do. But that's not what happened. They had a sign posted, like they do on a lot of holidays, that parking in the parking lot was restricted to registered guests of the resort and those with dining reservations. I've seen that sign before, but they have always still let guests of other resorts in. Not today. The guard said sorry, he couldn't let me park there. I said that I don't think that rule applies to other resort guests, he said it did today. And, he said I couldn't park in their lot. I looked over, and there were all kinds of empty spaces. I told him we would be in and out within an hour. He said he couldn't let us in. Wow. I guess they had to really crack down this year because of how crowded it had been.

The bad part of this was that by the time we got back to the Fort, parked, and tried to get back, breakfast would be over. I did suggest to the girls that I could go park at the Contemporary, and we could hop the monorail over to the Polynesian. That would get us there in time. But we all agreed that none of us wanted Tonga Toast that bad.

So that was a fail.

And we still have not had Tonga Toast.

But, no biggie.

I had planned to make pancakes that morning before we came up with the Tonga toast idea.

And not just any pancakes.

Cars pancakes!

This was the second part of the gift that came with the Snow White spatula:

IMG_2777.jpg

Check that out!

When we all looked at this, I noticed that the photos of the pancakes on the front didn't look all that great. I told the girls that I was skeptical about how these molds would work.

But, what the heck.

I tried them:

IMG_2778.jpg

I don't have a photo of the finished product.

Because there really wasn't a finished product.

When I tried to slip the molds off to flip the pancakes after they had set, the batter stuck to the molds bad.

I ended up with a mess.

Fail #2.

And it was still early in the day!

To prove that I can make pancakes, I made a few batches of good old round pancakes.

The way God intended them to be:

IMG_2780.jpg

Yes, I did flip them with the Snow White spatula. Which, as I expected, didn't really work all that well. That woman's head was too thick.

I also fried up a package of bacon.

So, we finally had a nice breakfast.

All in all, despite the couple of failures, it was a great morning.

We were planning on hanging around the Fort for the day, but we didn't have a real plan of what we would be doing.

So, the girls headed off to the showers, and I cleaned up.

We would discuss a game-plan for the day when they got back.

TCD

As I looped around the 1500 loop on the way out, I stopped for a moment to take this photo. This small Class C had been parked on this site the whole time we had been here, and according to the parking pass, these folks were staying until January 9th. The thing is, I never saw them. I have posted a lot of photos of campsites loaded with all kinds of stuff, but these folks had nothing. To each his own:

IMG_2757.jpg

In some ways, I envy people like that. Keep it simple. Just sleep at the site, and then go have fun. When it's time to go, you've got nothing to pack. Maybe I will try that some time. Probably not.

Yes, I did flip them with the Snow White spatula. Which, as I expected, didn't really work all that well. That woman's head was too thick.

I also fried up a package of bacon.

1. That is the same length and style of our RV. However, we do have a EZ-Up Canopy we use to cook under. In fact we have never cooked inside our RV since we purchased it in 2008. But I can see those people being able to live like that if they don't care to sit outside. That unit is small, but livable for a couple. :clint:

2. I was agreeing with you 100% until you got to the spatula. :beathorse: Don't you know it isn't the size of the tool, but how you use it? So don't blame Snow's big head, when you don't have the flipping down right. :hah:

3. Bacon makes everything right. :heart: Your forgiven for #2. :rofl2:

Funny, that's how I cook my pulled pork. Tenderloin, root beer and bbq. I've heard a lot of people also substitute coke, Dr. pepper, or you use OJ. I think it's just the sugar that makes the meat tender. My "boy's" love it, but they've never awarded me with applesauce. ;)

While I understand people that don't set up much at camp, I would be very hurt if your site didn't include a gnome at the very least.

Nice mullet! Business in the front, party in the rear.

Sorry about your tonga toast adventure. I haven't had it either, but I don't do breakfast very often. (I know, shame on me and I have been taught better, I preach the importance to clients, but don't do it myself) You can let me know if you enjoy it, and maybe I'll make it a "to-do"

So basically you've just verified that your Snow White tool is a spankula more than a spatula.....Lucky for Mrs. TCD. :))

Anxious to hear about your meat. NO!...Pork tenderlion with the brew.

So not only is she an elusive biotch, she's also got a fat head. Awesome!

Discipline! :popo:

OMG! Dave - I just had a flashback.....and I think I am recalling some issues you have with Snow White.

Wasn't it you on the other board who's avatar was a picture of SW being arrested?????

If so....I rememeber showing that picture to Hubs and us both having a good laugh over that.

Fun sucker!

I thought it was brilliant to put the truck camper on a trailer.

Ya know, that's not the first time that I've been called that. In fact, DD informed me just the other day that I am no fun. Something to do with no cartwheels in Wal-Mart. Or maybe it was the sharpie marker on the furniture. It all blurs together.

To answer your question, though... We have a truck. That's why we bought the slide-in. What's the point of having a truck and a slide-in if you're just going to put the slide-in on a trailer? Save the trailer for a golf cart. After all, who wants to rent one at those prices? :bugeyes:

Another great update. Did you spray the molds with PAM? That may have helped. Honestly though give me a plain old round pancake and I'm a happy camper. I guess this proves that the Cindy Spankula is really only good for one thing. :rofl2:

Pam?

No.

The instructions that came with the molds said to do that.

But I'm a man.

I read them after the fail.

I don't have a Cindy Spankula.

I have the Snow White one.

Is there a Cindy Spankula?

Maybe her head isn't as thick.

1. That is the same length and style of our RV. However, we do have a EZ-Up Canopy we use to cook under. In fact we have never cooked inside our RV since we purchased it in 2008. But I can see those people being able to live like that if they don't care to sit outside. That unit is small, but livable for a couple.

2. I was agreeing with you 100% until you got to the spatula. Don't you know it isn't the size of the tool, but how you use it? So don't blame Snow's big head, when you don't have the flipping down right.

3. Bacon makes everything right. Your forgiven for #2.

1. I like that size of an RV. And, I never cook inside of my camper either.

2. No, the big head was definitely the problem.

3. We agree on #3.

So not only is she an elusive biotch, she's also got a fat head. Awesome!

Yes. I never had anything against SW until she started treating you bad.

I'm now Team Dave for sure.

That passive aggressive little snip needs to go.

Funny, that's how I cook my pulled pork. Tenderloin, root beer and bbq. I've heard a lot of people also substitute coke, Dr. pepper, or you use OJ. I think it's just the sugar that makes the meat tender. My "boy's" love it, but they've never awarded me with applesauce.

While I understand people that don't set up much at camp, I would be very hurt if your site didn't include a gnome at the very least.

Nice mullet! Business in the front, party in the rear.

Sorry about your tonga toast adventure. I haven't had it either, but I don't do breakfast very often. (I know, shame on me and I have been taught better, I preach the importance to clients, but don't do it myself) You can let me know if you enjoy it, and maybe I'll make it a "to-do"

So basically you've just verified that your Snow White tool is a spankula more than a spatula.....Lucky for Mrs. TCD. :))

Anxious to hear about your meat. NO!...Pork tenderlion with the brew.

I will be reporting on how my meat pulled pork turned out later. Be sure to check back.

OMG! Dave - I just had a flashback.....and I think I am recalling some issues you have with Snow White.

Wasn't it you on the other board who's avatar was a picture of SW being arrested??

If so....I rememeber showing that picture to Hubs and us both having a good laugh over that.

Yep. That was Dave. See below.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

snow-white_arrested.jpg

:rofl2:

That is one of the funiest photos of all time.

I wonder what was going on here?

Those were not JUST... good old round pancakes... those were the wheels from the cars. You need to keep the dream alive.

Boy, I wish I was as fast on my feet as you!

Pancake tip: use PAM to spray the mold before you pour the batter in.

Great report as usual!!

I know.

I know.

No need to rub it in.

TCD

Ya know, that's not the first time that I've been called that. In fact, DD informed me just the other day that I am no fun. Something to do with no cartwheels in Wal-Mart. Or maybe it was the sharpie marker on the furniture. It all blurs together.

To answer your question, though... We have a truck. That's why we bought the slide-in. What's the point of having a truck and a slide-in if you're just going to put the slide-in on a trailer? Save the trailer for a golf cart. After all, who wants to rent one at those prices? :bugeyes:

I would allow the cart-wheels in Walmart, but I am your side with the Sharpie.

I am also going to have to agree with you about the trailer. You're right- if you can bring your own cart, then that is the way to go.

TCD

Cindy, Snow, after a certain age they all blur together. I won't comment on men and directions, I live that. :rofl2:

This mention of a Cindy spankula got me to thinking. I wonder if the folks at Williams-Sonoma make other Spankulas:

Well guess what?

They do!

Who likes the Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man and Spider Man?

They all have spankulas! :

http://www.williams-...&cm_src=AutoRel

img63o.jpg

How about Darth Vader?

Spankula! :

img35o.jpg

A Star Wars Storm Trooper?

Spankula!:

img7o.jpg

Lightning McQueen?

Mater?

Check and check!

img2o.jpg

http://www.williams-...-_-NoMerchRules -_-

Y'all can have a lot of fun with these!

TCD

You say there are only three RCFD stations. So, why does this photo show four

Oh man, there is a fourth station. I guess, out of sight out of mind. And I go by it, or at least where it's located all the time.

I totally forgot about that one. I've even had to wait at the McDonalds/All-Stars intersection to allow the fire trucks to get out, duh.

As you can see by the photo, it's pretty ordinary looking when compared to the others.

It services the AK Resort Area and is tucked away behind the McDonalds near the All-Stars Resort.

There is nothing to see from the road though. To see it, you'll have take the road as if you're going to McDonalds, but go past it. You still won't see much, not that there is much to see, unless you follow that road. It's really out of the way, but it's there.

Got a kick out of the title exlpanation she will never live that one down :rofl2: also spry the molds before you add the batter every time,mywife does that when she uses molds like to make pancakes it will help.