Old pics of the Fort, River Country, etc.

Hi gang! I found your site recently and have been enjoying reading the trip reports. We used to visit the Fort years ago but then we bought DVC (I know, we went to the dark side, lol). But every trip we try to visit Fort Wilderness, go to the campfire, maybe eat at Trail's End. The kids have great memories there and on our trip a few weeks ago they asked if we could stay at the Fort again. So hopefully next time we will get a cabin for a few days to enjoy it.

Anyway, I was inspired to go dig through some old pictures and thought I would post them for you to enjoy. This first set was from my first visit to the Fort in 1988. I went with a group of friends from college on our spring break. We rented a 'cabin'...really just looks like my grandma's mobile home! We had a blast, rented golf carts, drank a lot of beer. As a result, I think Disney put up a lot of the barriers for golf carts after we visited. We drove those things everywhere, up on sidewalks, around trees, etc. Sorry about that!

Here are a few pictures of our cabin:

IMG.jpg

As you can see from that pic, no deck, kind of blah. But hey, we were 21....who cared?

The next one I remember my then-boyfriend (now husband!) standing on the arm of the couch to get a good shot of the kitchen. I think we only used it to keep the beer cold. Oh, and maybe toast.

IMG_0001.jpg

The bedroom doesn't give off any type of rustic feel like they do now in the cabins.

IMG_0003.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And this one again pretty similar. I think I must have been taking them side by side, for kind of a panorama. I know this was the exit for I believe, Raft Rider Ridge. And here we have a picture o

Okay, continuing with shots of the bedroom, they did give you this handy little sink...in the bedroom. Kind of weird, but okay.

For some reason I am now having troubleposting anything under the picture. I was doing okay on the last post but I don't know what I've done. Grrr. I will post the next few each in it's own reply box.

IMG_0002.jpg

We didn't have a deck but apparently we had a picnic table and grill. And a squirrel.

IMG_0009.jpg

This next one is I believe the trading post...is it the Meadow Trading Post (darn this dvc brain for forgetting something like that!).

IMG_0004.jpg

Welcome you will love the folks here, thanks for posting the photos of the old cabins, not as nice looking as the ones now. Don't forget you can use points to get a site also( hint, you gotta get a camper) and you will be hooked on the Fort. We use DVC also but still return to the Fort just can't hel ourselves.

Pretty sure this is behind the trading post...I think I have seen it in TCD's trip reports. It's someone's dock...is his name Bob? And TCD scares people off of it?? (I could be way off on this). But as you can see, no one was fishing off it on this day back in '88.

IMG_0007.jpg

Pretty sure this one was taken from the bridge that the previous pic was taken, just looking the other way towards the pool. I have a picture from our honeymoon years later (yes, we visited the Fort on our honeymoon) and DH took a picture of me on that bridge and in the background caught a lightning bolt off in the distance. It's kind of cool, I'll see if I can find it.

IMG_0008.jpg

Welcome you will love the folks here, thanks for posting the photos of the old cabins, not as nice looking as the ones now. Don't forget you can use points to get a site also( hint, you gotta get a camper) and you will be hooked on the Fort. We use DVC also but still return to the Fort just can't hel ourselves.

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I did know we can use our points there, I think that will be the plan next time we go. We own at the Wilderness Lodge, which we love, but lately have been trying out the different resorts. We just stayed at AKV. Loved it, but we still love the rustic feeling of VWL and FW.

Just one more for now (I have to get to work). This is a scan of my ticket stub for the hayride. I have no recollection of going on it, but I guess we did. I can only imagine what they are charging for it now.

IMG_0021.jpg

Great pics! You are exactly right, that's Bobs dock and TCD has been known to run people off of it.

I don't recall ever seeing that Moose topiary?!

So glad you found us and shared your pictures, looking forward to more.

dvccamper,

What cool pictures!! Brings back some great memories!!!

The cabins have certainly come a longggggg way! I stayed in one back in 1983, but I really couldnt remember what they were like. It was great to see your pics! Its amazing the amount of bushes/trees that they used to have aorund the cabins.

You can barely see it, but if you look over the guys head in the boat (the pic of Bobs dock) you can see a couple totem pools. They were smaller than the other ones around the fort, but I always took a picture of my boys there every year, until they disappeared.

I am looking forward to more.......thanks for sharing!

Heidi

Wow, thanks for all the encouraging comments! My husband thought no one would care about seeing these old photos, but you've proved him wrong!

Since Mouseketab...Carol has a nice thread going on the 2500 loop swimming pool, I will start with one from there. But this was not from my '88 trip, I think this was around '92.

IMG_0028.jpg

This next one is also from the '92 trip, you can see the cabin is a little different from the '88 picture.

IMG_0025.jpg

Here is the living room. I think they were trying to make it a little more rustic...notice the furniture is a little different, more woodsy I guess, haha.

IMG_0027.jpg

Here is the bedroom. They had added bunkbeds by this point. We didn't have kids yet so as you can see, the bunks made a nice place for our luggage.

IMG_0026.jpg

I think this one is also from the '92 trip. From the roped off area in the water it looks as though they were still allowing people to swim in it...yikes!

IMG_0031.jpg

Who remembers the petting farm? I am so sad that they ever got rid of that. My older two remember it but my youngest never got to experience it. Boo Disney, bad decision on that one!!

IMG_0029.jpg

And one more from the petting farm.

IMG_0030.jpg

How far is to far from Disney for you we are like just under 1,000 miles!!!!!! Seems longer when we pull the camper.

Too far is southern New England. It would be about a 24 hour drive. Therefore, we fly down. Since we tent camp it isn't feasible to bring all our stuff with us. That is why we bought points at the Wilderness Lodge...we love the atmosphere, so similar to Fort Wilderness.

Now let's go back to the 1988 trip. I think this is the swimming pool behind the Meadow Trading Post (it definitely isn't the pool near the cabins). I don't know who the group of people are sitting there. Maybe they are enjoying an afternoon cocktail, discussing last night's episode of Dallas. Or maybe they are talking about the man over to the left, kind of slumped over in his chair. He doesn't really look like he's enjoying his pool time.

IMG_0011.jpg

Notice the surrey bikes. Do they still have those?

IMG_0022.jpg

We'll finish off tonight with a shot of the beach, taken from the boat dock. Notice the hammocks in the background.

IMG_0006.jpg