Old pics of the Fort, River Country, etc.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And this one again pretty similar. I think I must have been taking them side by side, for kind of a panorama. I know this was the exit for I believe, Raft Rider Ridge. And here we have a picture o

Surrey bikes!!!!!!!!

Check my recent TR!

Someone had one at the Fort while we were there last!

Wonder if they got it when the Fort got rid of them?

Okay, will do! There are so many great trip reports that I've started reading. If only I didn't have to do things like work, laundry, cooking, lol!

Love the pictures, wish I had pictures I could find from back then.

I know when we started camping there in I think 1978 or 79 there was no pool at FW, does anyone know what year the pool was put in??

I believe you can still rent the surrey bikes at the WL, can't you? I saw someone a year or so ago on the trail between the Fort and the Lodge riding one.

LOVE these pics dvc....please keep them coming!

I know a few years ago we rented a surrey bike at WL and did that trail between the two. It was actually a pretty nice ride, we saw a deer and an armadillo which made it worth it for the kids.

Will put up my River Country pics later today hopefully.

Now let's go back to the 1988 trip. I think this is the swimming pool behind the Meadow Trading Post (it definitely isn't the pool near the cabins). I don't know who the group of people are sitting there. Maybe they are enjoying an afternoon cocktail, discussing last night's episode of Dallas. Or maybe they are talking about the man over to the left, kind of slumped over in his chair. He doesn't really look like he's enjoying his pool time.

IMG_0011.jpg

We'll finish off tonight with a shot of the beach, taken from the boat dock. Notice the hammocks in the background.

IMG_0006.jpg

That first pic made me :rofl2:

Maybe the slumped guy was tired of hearing the discussion about Dallas.

I miss the days of swimming and enjoying the hammocks at the beach.

Tell hubby that we are Fiends, we LOVE all pictures! Old, new, good, bad, blurry...bring em on!! :)

Love the pictures, wish I had pictures I could find from back then.

I know when we started camping there in I think 1978 or 79 there was no pool at FW, does anyone know what year the pool was put in??

Lorna-

I have always heard that the Meadow Pool was added in 1985.

Before that, the only place to swim was the lake.

And, DVCcamper- THANK YOU so much for posting the photos. I love them.

I recognize where most of them were taken, and I already have plans to take shots of the same areas on my next visit so we can compare the changes.

TCD

And, DVCcamper- THANK YOU so much for posting the photos. I love them.

I recognize where most of them were taken, and I already have plans to take shots of the same areas on my next visit so we can compare the changes.

TCD

Wow, I feel privileged to have TCD comment on my pictures!! I love looking at all your pictures and honestly, it was your trip reports that inspired me to go dig up these old photos. I love that you take pictures of things that most of us would just rush right by, not even really seeing what's there. I just look back on what I have and wish I had taken so many more (of course these were the days of film, one was less inclined to take so many pictures).

As for everyone else's kind words, thank you, I'm sorry I don't have the time to reply to each comment, but again thanks. My time is really limited so I'm just going to get right into some more pics.

This one is obviously at River Country. I remember it was a cool day in March, maybe we reached 70 degrees. Maybe that's why it looks pretty empty. I remember the water was cold, too.

IMG_0012.jpg

And this one again pretty similar. I think I must have been taking them side by side, for kind of a panorama. I know this was the exit for I believe, Raft Rider Ridge.

IMG_0014.jpg

And here we have a picture of Raft Rider Ridge in action. I know you got into your inner tube at the top, went under a FREEZING waterfall, and then you were on your way down.

IMG_0015.jpg

Oops, I have one more River Country one. Nice view of the Contemporary. And don't you love the avocado green umbrellas? It must have been to match the water.

IMG-1.jpg

Up next I have a few old Magic Kingdom photos.

Okay, I think I will just finish up with what I have. These are a few pictures from the Magic Kingdom, 1988.

First off, this was our admission ticket, designed I guess for spring breakers in mind. We must have done a day at the Magic Kingdom, one day at Epcot, a day at River Country and then I think we had a day just hanging around Fort Wilderness.

IMG_0019.jpg

Now check out the price!!!

IMG_0020.jpg

Here's a picture taken from the old Skyway ride.

IMG_0016.jpg

And here's one of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It must have been taken from the Skyway as well.

IMG_0017.jpg

Now let's see if anyone can guess where this last one was taken. When I first looked at it I really couldn't place it, but I think I have it now. Let's see how you guys do.

IMG_0018.jpg