Error Message: TCD's Spring Break 2012 Trip Report!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the trip report that almost didn't happen. The TCD gang finally hit the Fort for a stay from March 24th through the 27th. Everything was going great until the morning of the 27th when TCD Twin

Since I have some momentum going here, and a bit of time, you are going to get another update. Right now. How's that for everyone? On other boards, you have to wait for days for an update. But not her

You must have rushed if you were only at Tea for three hours. We spent 7 hours, not to shabby one hour hour per lady fiend!!

I'm going to share a secret with you (Ok and all 5,000 other people who read TCD reports) I too have only seen Fantasmic once. It was a long time ago, it was packed, it was freezing, it was a long wait and I wasn't overly impressed.

You know that patience is not my strong suit and I was bored to death. Maybe I needed a book & a pretzel too. Thank Goodness, it was New Years eve and they gave us noisemakers to entertain ourselves.

Thatta Boy! :hah:

006.jpg

Wow, that is a great photo of Nathen, Stef.

And I see Trevor peeking in the back.

Awesome!

But if this is from the last time you went to Fantasmic, then it has been a while.

Nathen looks like he got dressed by the people in charge of the costumes for that Camping in Disney World video. I'll bet he has a bowl haircut under that hat!

Fantasmic: Mickey is having a dream about various Disney characters that turns into a nightmare when the villains take over the dream, then he realizes "Hey, this is MY DREAM" and defeats the vilians and rescues all the good characters on his steamboat Willie ship!!

Then at the end "Some Imagination, Huh" Meaning, this is all about Mickey's Imagination.

Really?

How did I not figure this out?

I guess I was thinking about that pretzel.

Ok, that makes sense. :)

I guess.

I say it's still confusing.

If this is a representation of Mickey's imagination, then I say keep your kids away from that weirdo.

I agree that the boy and girl decoration was weird.

Darn it! I haven't been to Fantasmic in a very long time!!! Glad you got some great photos for me to remember it by. :)

Hmmm.

Another Fiend who has not been to Fantasmic in a long time.

I am sensing a pattern here.

Great updates and love the behind the scenes day - must have been a blast!

Thanks for the Fantasmic report. It kind of confirmed for me that I'm not really missing a lot in missing this show.

We've seen it exactly once... I think in 2000? 2004? I don't recall exactly when, but it was a while ago and was back when it showed every night.

I don't recall it being awesome or even all that memorable. Not sure exactly why, as I'd watch Wishes! and/or Illuminations twice a night every night if I could. I'll even park myself somewhere 30 minutes ahead of time to get a decent view.

That said, my in-laws saw it 5 or 6 years ago and still rave about it. They ask us every trip if we went to see it. (no)

We were actually going to this past trip... until we saw the line mass of people queuing up an hour prior... on a slow-ish night... when there were 2 shows. No thanks.

Maybe next year.

...or the year after that.

Well, it looks like we do have a pattern here.

Which is odd, because Fantasmic is obviously very popular.

Just not so much with the Fiends.

Signing on ... As always, love your trip reports, TCD!

Thanks for signing on and letting me know you are reading along.

I always appreciate a compliment.

I love fantasmic but hate the lines... so if we go the Fantasmic package is a must!

So, tell me about the Fantasmic packages.

I have heard of them, but never really looked in to it.

My understanding is that you book a meal at one of the HS sit-down restaurants, and then you get reserved seating at Fantasmic. Right?

So, where do you get to sit?

I'm not sure it's worth it, but it might be fun to try this some time.

My son slept through Fantasmic the first time (he was 1). It is a good show and the stadium holds a ton of people. We try to hit it on a mid week if we can and the crowds are a little better than on a weekend. Thanks for the updates TCD.

You are right that the stadium holds a ton of people. It's kind of surprising to see that many people all in one place and think that all of you had been out in that one park along with a bunch of other folks who are not in there watching the show.

Does anyone know how many people that Fantasmic theater holds? If I had to guess, I would say 5-10K.

Wow, never had to wait in a line that long Fantasmic. We usually try to go on a night that there are two shows and hit the second show.

Thanks for your Trip Reports! It's getting hard to keep up with all the reports and that is a great thing!

That crowd was for the second show and it was a Monday night. This was an EMH night, and it was spring break, so that probably contributed to the crowd. I guess they need to hold everyone outside of the theater before the second show so they can clean up after the first show, but I do not like how you have to stand for so long in a mob of people like we did.

TCD

Finally dug out my pictures of Diamond Horseshoe. I'm sorry they are not bigger. I am Photobucket challenged. No matter what I do, I can't seem to make them any bigger.

These pictures are also 17 years old so they are not the best..

5-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

3-2-1.jpg

We were seated in the stage left balcony.

Edit - I have no idea how I got the pictures to be that big! But yay me!

In addition to seating 6,500 guests, specially designed Hollywood Hills Amphitheater also can accommodate 2,500 standing guests.

OR:

Seating: Approximately 6,900 seated, 3,000 standing

Finally dug out my pictures of Diamond Horseshoe. I'm sorry they are not bigger. I am Photobucket challenged. No matter what I do, I can't seem to make them any bigger.

These pictures are also 17 years old so they are not the best..

5-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

3-2-1.jpg

We were seated in the stage left balcony.

Edit - I have no idea how I got the pictures to be that big! But yay me!

Yay, you, indeed!

Those photos are great!

I think that bar is still in there, but I did not pay much attention to it. I believe they are now using it as a serving line for the quick serve meals.

And, what the heck are those people doing with beer inside the MK?

Did they used to serve beer in here?

I always thought that was a big no-no in the MK, out of respect to Walt.

I am not sure I understand this, given how they are more than happy to let everyone get liquored up good at the other parks.

I didn't get a photo of him, but there was a guy walking up and down the Fantasmic line while we waited selling those $7.00 beers they love to sell.

In addition to seating 6,500 guests, specially designed Hollywood Hills Amphitheater also can accommodate 2,500 standing guests.

Hey, you're quick.

Good job.

I didn't know that they let people stand for the show. The folks who stand must not have a very good view.

TCD

You had it basically right. You pay for dinner at select Studios sit down restaurants. They dining time is in the 3 - 5pm range. You get seating on the far right.

I've never thought much about the crowds and hassle of Fantasmic seating. Since we always have an ECV with us, except on the most crowded times, we usually roll right in about 20 minutes before showtime and get seating along the back row. That gives us time for one of us to wait in line at the concession and get drinks, and we try to get caramel popcorn from one of the strolling vendors.

You had it basically right. You pay for dinner at select Studios sit down restaurants. They dining time is in the 3 - 5pm range. You get seating on the far right.

I've never thought much about the crowds and hassle of Fantasmic seating. Since we always have an ECV with us, except on the most crowded times, we usually roll right in about 20 minutes before showtime and get seating along the back row. That gives us time for one of us to wait in line at the concession and get drinks, and we try to get caramel popcorn from one of the strolling vendors.

Oh, for some reason, I figured that you would be eating right before the show. I had this vision of feeling rushed to make sure that you got to the show on time. It looks like maybe they are just using this as a tactic to get folks to eat during the earlier, slower times. But that's not bad. I guess you get wristbands or something to show you are allowed in the special seating area?

With the ECV you have missed the unpleasant line experience. I just remembered that there was a time that we did try to avoid the line and show up right before the show, but we were not allowed to enter, and were turned away because the theater was full. Which makes me wonder if they ever use the standing area, wherever that might be.

TCD

I am not a huge Fantasmic! fan, but my wife is. I waited in the ampitheatre over 1 1/2 hours last week for the first show. Was I bored.

The Little Mermaid statue is still at DHS, I saw it last week. It is over by the Backlot Tour now.

jon

1 1/2 hours for Fantasmic. No way is that worth it.

Except if your wife wanted to see the show, of course.

I wonder why they moved the Mermaid statue? I will have to look for it in its new location. I had not heard anything about this, and could not find anything about it online after I noticed it was missing. Is it still a fountain?

TCD

I don't think that was real beer in those mugs...or even real liquid. They were dancing and swinging those mugs around during that number. That was the when they sang "Belly up to the Bar." It really was a super cute show. Anybody know how long it was there. These pictures were from 1993...when I went back in 1999 it was already gone.

I've never been to Fantasmic due to the lines, but if we go it will probably be through the dining package. Not sure if it's worth it.

Fantasmic! Meal Experiences

Enjoy dinner and a show—the popular Fantasmic! fireworks spectacular—with Fantasmic! meal experiences at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park.

After your meal, be dazzled by the dramatic spectacular, Fantasmic! Follow Mickey Mouse into a dream world as he and his friends battle Disney Villains in an action-packed conflict of good versus evil.

The Fantasmic! Meal Package

The Fantasmic! Meal Package gives you an unforgettable dining and entertainment experience. Reserve a table at 1 of these 3 restaurants in Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park:

Whether you prefer buffet service, casual dining or fine dining, you're sure to enjoy an outstanding meal before the show.

Reserve a Fantasmic! Meal Experience

Reserve restaurant reservations online or call (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463 up to 180 days in advance. Guests under age 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Fanstasmic! meal experiences are available on all days with a Fantasmic! show scheduled. Fantasmic! is performed on select nights only and runs approximately 30 minutes.

Enjoy the Show!

Pick up your VIP voucher for Fantasmic! at the time of your meal. Please plan on arriving at Hollywood Hills Amphitheater 30 to 45 minutes prior to showtime. The entrance for Meal Package seating at Fantasmic! is located on Sunset Boulevard next to Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage.

Be sure to check the Times Guide at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park for schedule and show times.

http://disneyworld.d...-meal-packages/

Price: Varies...

I've seen the standing area used before. It is a raised concrete area behind the Mickey section toward the left side of the theater.

Sometimes they also use that section for semi private events with tables set up in that area.

Oh, I will have to look for that the next time we go. Which may be sooner rather than later, as the girls liked the show. I am willing to give it another go. I'll just bring a book and pretzel.

I don't think that was real beer in those mugs...or even real liquid. They were dancing and swinging those mugs around during that number. That was the when they sang "Belly up to the Bar." It really was a super cute show. Anybody know how long it was there. These pictures were from 1993...when I went back in 1999 it was already gone.

Sorry, I know nothing about the Diamond Horseshoe. It is weird that they would include a number called Belly up to the Bar in a place that doesn't serve liquor.

I've never been to Fantasmic due to the lines, but if we go it will probably be through the dining package. Not sure if it's worth it.

http://disneyworld.d...-meal-packages/

Price: Varies...

Thanks for the link. I didn't know that you could qualify for the package by eating lunch at one of those places. Maybe we will give this a try. We have never tried the Brown Derby, and have always said we would.

TCD

It is weird that they would include a number called Belly up to the Bar in a place that doesn't serve liquor.

TCD

I am pretty sure there are a few drinking references in Country Bear Jamboree. I am also pretty sure even during the Horseshow Revue days, MK was still alcohol free.

TCD,

Wow, I can't believe all the fiends that don't care for Fantasmic too much!!! Our family doesnt either, but I have always read about what a much loved show it is and I thought that we were the odd ones out. We have been three times. The third time we went, the only reason we did was because we had friends with us, who had never seen it. We don't have plans to ever watch it again.

Course, we don't care much for illuminations either, which is another much loved show.

Now, I could watch Wishes EVERY night of the week......go figure!

I'm sad that this report is winding down.......

Heidi

Yes, there will be an update today.

When, you ask?

How about now.

As I warned you, we have now arrived at Tuesday morning, which means we will be heading home today.

But, I still have a few updates worth of photos to post, so don't leave just yet.

This was a trip of late nights and early mornings.

That's the way things usually go on a TCD trip to the Fort.

So, I was up early on Tuesday morning too.

We had great weather on this trip.

Except for a very light drizzle late Saturday night, we had no rain.

Which is kind of unusual for us. It seems like we always get at least some rain. And it's usually the night before I need to pack up, and I end up with a bunch of wet stuff that I have to dry out when I get home.

But not this trip.

Tuesday morning was a bit cooler than the other mornings. And Monday had been a warm day. That meant we were in for some light fog and mist this morning.

Awesome!

Here is a light mist over the canal next to the 1500 loop:

IMG_0487.jpg

I can't tell what it is, and I didn't even notice it until I looked at this photo, but there is some kind of critter in the water there just left of center in this photo. It could be an otter. Or a gator. Or a small Florida panther. Or just a bird. But, there's something there.

There's the Meadow over there:

IMG_0488.jpg

And, there's my favorite bridge:

IMG_0489.jpg

I call this next photo Misty Swamp:

IMG_0490.jpg

And, this one is called Another View of Misty Swamp:

IMG_0491.jpg

And this one is called deer in the Misty Swamp:

IMG_0492.jpg

Do you see the deer?

No?

How about now? :

492zoom.jpg

Still no?

Here's a clue:

492zoom-1.jpg

If you still can't see the deer, then there isn't much more I can do for you.

This just proves a point, though.

Photos are a poor substitute for being there.

There is no way that a photo can really convey how it feels to be up and wandering around the Fort early in the morning like this.

It is calm, and peaceful, and it makes me feel like I have the whole place to myself.

Which is quite a contrast to the mob that I was in just the night before.

High above the swamp, I could see the vapor trail of a jet and a flock of birds flying by:

IMG_0493.jpg

And here's the vapor trail after the birds had moved on:

IMG_0494.jpg

Here's that beautiful scene behind the 300 loop:

IMG_0495.jpg

And there is that darned crane, too. I really hope that there isn't going to be big building in the background of this scene from now on.

I mentioned the Do Not Feed the Ducks on the Porch sign from the Meadow Trading Post a while back in this report. I also reported that ducks have been scarce around the Fort lately. But, here are two in the canal by the 300 loop:

IMG_0496.jpg

I was just a bit down the canal at this point, so I took another shot, hoping maybe the crane would not be in it. But there it is:

IMG_0497.jpg

The big pump that they have back here was not pumping the other times I had visited on this trip, but it was pumping this morning:

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

Standing here and seeing this confirms that sleep is highly overrated:

IMG_0500.jpg

Let's take another look at this scene- there appears to be something going on over by the dock on Discovery Island:

IMG_0501.jpg

I must investigate.

Right after I took this photo of the view of Bay Lake to the right:

IMG_0502.jpg

How about some more mist? :

IMG_0503.jpg

I continued along the bank of Bay Lake.

Hey look, a bunny! :

IMG_0505.jpg

Look at the colors and the mist on the lake- beautiful! :

IMG_0506.jpg

Here we are approaching the Fort's marina:

IMG_0507.jpg

There always seem to be a lot of crows hanging out around the beach at the Fort. I don't usually take their photos, though. So, today I thought I would:

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

I call this photo Crow Butt:

IMG_0511.jpg

I decided to walk out on the dock for a closer look at what was going on over at Discovery Island. Here's a look down the beach from the base of the dock. There's the guy who gets to drive the tractor to rake the beach way over there:

IMG_0512.jpg

From here, could see that there were two boats docked at Discovery Island:

IMG_0513.jpg

One of the boats began to pull away:

IMG_0514.jpg

It looks like the boat that is leaving is one of the fuel boats that they use to gas up the little rental boats:

IMG_0515.jpg

This is the closest shot I got:

IMG_0516.jpg

So, that boat activity over there confirms that they are about to build the 5th Disney Theme Park over there on Discovery Island.

No, that's not it.

I mean it confirms that they are going to build a new DVC resort on Discovery Island called the Villas of Discovery Island.

No, I don't think that's it either.

Actually, I don't know what those boats were doing over there.

But, I'm going to keep a close eye on Discovery Island on my future visits to the Fort.

That's 30 photos.

So, I need to start a new post.

I will still be out here on the dock when we come back.

I took one of my favorite photos on this trip next.

It's one of those sunrise ones that I like to take.

It will be the first photo in the next post.

TCD

I know I should agree that sleep is overated, especially after seeing how beautiful it is to wander around the Fort early in the morning. But if I don't get enough sleep, I am a cranky momma and then no one has a nice vacation. What i need to do is take a solo trip to the Fort so i can be cranky all by myself. :)

I am pretty sure there are a few drinking references in Country Bear Jamboree. I am also pretty sure even during the Horseshow Revue days, MK was still alcohol free.

Yes, you're right, there is definitely booze in the Country Bears. There's that one lady bear who has a big glass of wine that she swings around. And then there's the Pirates- they are all drunk.

TCD,

Wow, I can't believe all the fiends that don't care for Fantasmic too much!!! Our family doesnt either, but I have always read about what a much loved show it is and I thought that we were the odd ones out. We have been three times. The third time we went, the only reason we did was because we had friends with us, who had never seen it. We don't have plans to ever watch it again.

Course, we don't care much for illuminations either, which is another much loved show.

Now, I could watch Wishes EVERY night of the week......go figure!

I'm sad that this report is winding down.......

Heidi

It is strange to hear how little Fiends like Fantasmic. I agree about Wishes, or any MK fireworks show. We never get tired of that. Same with the Electric Water Pageant. I'll watch it every chance I get. But Fantasmic? Not so much.

I know I should agree that sleep is overated, especially after seeing how beautiful it is to wander around the Fort early in the morning. But if I don't get enough sleep, I am a cranky momma and then no one has a nice vacation. What i need to do is take a solo trip to the Fort so i can be cranky all by myself. :)

That's a good idea. Or if your whole family is along, at least get up early one morning. You will be really glad you did! You can always take a nap in your hammock later in the day.

TCD

5-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

3-2-1.jpg

If you've been to Disneyland and the Golden Horseshoe there you know exactly what is missing from WDW and the Diamond Horseshoe!

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies!

Let's start lobbying now . . .

Join me in my chant . . .

We want the Billies!

We want the Billies!

We want the Billies!

We want the Billies!

We want the Billies!

We want the Billies!

We want the Billies!

We want the Billies!

Great Mist over...... shots.

Crow butt? Fantastic!!

If crow butt is not your favorite, I can't even imagine how good your favorite really is! The suspense is killing me!

I agree that sleep is overrated. I will get enough sleep when I'm dead.