Error Message: TCD's Spring Break 2012 Trip Report!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the trip report that almost didn't happen. The TCD gang finally hit the Fort for a stay from March 24th through the 27th. Everything was going great until the morning of the 27th when TCD Twin

Since I have some momentum going here, and a bit of time, you are going to get another update. Right now. How's that for everyone? On other boards, you have to wait for days for an update. But not her

You must have rushed if you were only at Tea for three hours. We spent 7 hours, not to shabby one hour hour per lady fiend!!

Yes, this is the third update today.

Earlier this week, I thought I could get this report written before Easter.

But that is not going to happen.

Still, we will finish up our visit to Animal Kingdom today. But, that does not finish Sunday. We still will be heading over to the MK for a late EMH.

For now, we will resume our story with us finishing our safari ride.

On our last visit to AK, we had stopped at this map to study it:

Image2940.jpg

I consider myself to have above average knowledge of world geography, and I thought I knew a lot about Africa.

But, I found out that there was a lot I don't know when I saw my brother over this past Christmas holiday.

My brother is a career officer in the US Navy.

He is just like me only younger, smarter and better looking.

He graduated from Annapolis back in 1986, and has been all over the world ever since.

He was most recently stationed in Italy for a couple of years, and then transferred to Washington State less than a year ago.

Usually, he stays in a new place for a couple to three years before moving on.

Which is why we were shocked to hear that he was getting a new assignment this coming October.

He told us he was going to Djibouti.

I had never heard of it.

We got out our globe and took a look.

It's over here in East Africa:

Image2942.jpg

Right next to Somalia.

That's why my brother is going there.

This pretty much confirms that he is part of Seal Team Six. But he will never confirm that when we ask him.

So, now you know about Djibouti, and you know someone whose brother will be living there for a while.

While we were studying the map, I told the girls about my old buddy Mobio, who is from the Ivory Coast.

I knew that the Ivory Coast is in West Africa, but I could not find it on the map. I took this photo so I could study it some more later:

Image2943.jpg

But, I even after looking more carefully, I could not find the Ivory Coast. I began to think that maybe it was no longer a country. Then I noticed the country called Cote d'Ivoire. Ah-ha. There it is. They are just going with the French thing now I guess.

Anyway, I met Mobio one of the summers I worked as a counselor in a Boy Scout camp. He was a Boy Scout from the Ivory Coast, and he was sent to work the summer at our camp. He was an interesting young man, and what a great opportunity it was for him and for those of us who got to know him. I never kept in touch with him after that summer, though.

I think that is enough reminiscing about Africa.

Time to eat!

As we left Harambe village, I noticed this display which I had never noticed before:

Image2944.jpg

Image2945.jpg

It's kind of amazing that the Disney imagineers spent the time to design and build something like this, which the majority of guests will never even notice.

We made it over to Flametree BBQ by 7-ish, and found the place was practically deserted. But it was open and serving.

We got our food and made our way all the way down to our favorite seating area right by the lake. This is one of my favorite spots in all of Disney World.

For once, I remembered to take some photos of our food.

Twin #2 went with the ribs:

Image2948.jpg

Twin #2 went with the chicken:

Image2949.jpg

We split and order of onion rings:

Image2950.jpg

And I went with the pulled pork:

Image2951.jpg

All of it was great!

I highly recommend the onion rings.

This was our view:

Image2952.jpg

Over here to the left is an area built to resemble a settlement on a river, with laundry and pots and jars on the steps:

Image2953.jpg

Here's one more look at Expedition Everest from here:

Image2954.jpg

And here's the TCD twins about to dig in:

Image2955.jpg

After our meal, it was time to head for the mountain.

There was no line here either.

We just walked right on through the queue and got on our train.

Here we go:

Image2956.jpg

Image2957.jpg

Image2958.jpg

Here is the sun setting over AK, that's the Tree of Life you see to the left of the sun:

Image2960.jpg

This is the view from the top. I think you can see the Contemporary Resort from here, but I can't quite make it out in this photo, nor am I sure whether we are looking in the right direction:

Image2962.jpg

Even though the poor Yeti can barely move, he apparently is still able to make his way over here and tear up the track. I did not see that bird on the stick. I wonder where he is? :

Image2963.jpg

After our ride, the girls wanted to go again. There was no line, so why not?

I said fine.

But I chose to sit this one out.

I sat and watched the sun hitting the big drop and tried to get the girls' photo:

Image2965.jpg

They were not on this train, so this is just practice:

Image2966.jpg

For some reason, the next train did not come for a while.

So I sat down.

Then it came.

I couldn't get into position in time, so here's the photo:

Image2967.jpg

The girls were on that train, but I snapped the photo too soon, and the flags blocked the part of the train that they were on.

Oh well.

The girls rode one more time.

We discussed heading over to the Dinosaur ride.

But, we figured it might be good to get out a little before closing time so we could catch our bus and get back to the Fort and avoid any crowds leaving the park.

I don't think there would have been crowds, but we headed out a little before 8.

I thought this flower was pretty, so I took a photo:

Image2968.jpg

And then twin #1 decided to be funny:

Image2969.jpg

I took this photo thinking I would use it on the "Where in the World" thread on this Board, but I think it looks too much like AK, and would be too easy to guess:

Image2970.jpg

From here, we booked it back to the Fort.

We had time to visit the campfire and make some s'mores.

And then it was on to the MK.

I'll pick it up from here in the next post.

TCD

I too love AK! I seem to notice something new on every trip and I love all the animals (except for the hippos, they stink!)

Great picture of the lion! He is always laying down when I'm there, no matter what time of the day it is.

I'm so glad you were clear at the beginning of your updates that you were posting pictures of your visit to AK. If I had just looked at all those wild animal pictures and didn't read your captions I would have sworn you had wandered into the old River Country again!

Good thing Flame Tree BBQ is already on my list of places to eat in September...those onion rings are positively mouthwatering to look at!!!

Your pictures of Everest are stunning. Most definitely post card worthy.

More awesome photos!!

I wonder if Diamond Horseshow was open only because it's been busy most of the past several weeks? I don't think it's ever been open when we've been there in Oct/Nov/Dec.

I tell I lie... I have a vague recollection of it being open Thanksgiving week 2 years ago.

In any case, the menu looks decent - I hope they keep it open more often.

We always try and catch the last safari of the day for the very reason you experienced - the animals know it's almost dinner time and are usually up and about. We had been told that first thing in the morning is best, but we haven't found that to be the case. And any time you can spot a cheetah and both lions - especially the big guy up and alert - is a bonus.

Ok, I have to ask - where is this? I don't recall every seeing it, and as you know I'm always on the lookout for hidden nooks and crannies. :)

Image2944.jpg

Image2945.jpg

Are you saying he can read?

:smartass:

How about you, Lou? Can YOU read? Can ya read this? BITE ME!

So TCD....not only did you go on and post 3 updates today, but you practically DARED me to read and comment on the 3rd post by posting Flame Tree BBQ pics there. But do you not remember....that BBQ is not exactly my favorite thing? So I will ignore those pics of mouth watering ribs, pulled pork and yummy sides. I didn't even look at them.

And I did want to comment on your Diamond Horseshoe pics. They actually make me kinda sad. Go back and take a look at the pics again. Notice the beautiful details in that building, from the balcony railings, to the light fixtures, to the details of the stage. There was clearly a LOT of thought and effort put into designing and building that space. And it has SO much potential. Much more potential than use as a dining area for a quick serve restaurant.

Ok, carry on. And I will have more time tomorrow to read, so feel free to post 6 or 7 updates. I dare you!

I thought you were Portuguese, not Spanish.

:rofl2: :rofl3:

Ok, now that's out of my system so I can move on with a couple of comments...

Love the photos of Expedition Everest! You got some really great shots!!! In fact, I have a friend who is a pro photog and some of yours rival some of hers. Nicely done!

Great shot of the TCD twin with the flower. Those girls have a good sense of humor!

Last of all.. The Flametree BBQ looks pretty good. May need to try it out on our next visit. Hopefully we'll score a table with a nice view of EE like the TCD gang. That was also a beautiful shot of EE from across the water! The reflection is just beautiful! :)