Error Message: TCD's Spring Break 2012 Trip Report!

Yep.

Monique is right.

G5 is going to get spiked.

And, the offer is open to the rest of you lurkers out there to.

You see how easy it is.

And what kind of welcome you will receive.

So, what are you waiting for?

November is, indeed, a great time to visit the Fort.

It is in my top 10 list of months to visit.

Ok, I have to ask... Which 2 months don't you like to visit?

Captain Obvious away :superhero:

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the trip report that almost didn't happen. The TCD gang finally hit the Fort for a stay from March 24th through the 27th. Everything was going great until the morning of the 27th when TCD Twin

Since I have some momentum going here, and a bit of time, you are going to get another update. Right now. How's that for everyone? On other boards, you have to wait for days for an update. But not her

You must have rushed if you were only at Tea for three hours. We spent 7 hours, not to shabby one hour hour per lady fiend!!

snapback.pngkampfirekim, on 04 April 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

This last update has gotten me very excited for the expansion to be finished!!! Everything looks great so far!

I don't know why Humphrey was on the poster at the train station but I am 100% Pro-Humphrey! "Pick the litter up... put it in the bag.... bomp bomp" ;D

"then you bend your back...put in the sack..bomp bomp"

Very pro-Humphrey here!! :))

Ok, I have to ask... Which 2 months don't you like to visit?

Captain Obvious away :superhero:

Well, Captain Obvious, there really aren't two months that I don't like.

Who ever heard of a top twelve list?

Seriously, I have camped at the Fort every month of the year, and while I prefer the Fall and Spring months, I wouldn't hesitate to camp during the Winter and Summer either.

TCD,

The station was open at Thanksgiving. We walked up those steps and into Fantasyland. Nothing else was open, though. There were temporary walks lining the walkway.

I didn't know that.

I thought they closed the train station when they closed off Tunetown.

But, it looks like I was wrong about that.

I too would like to know which two months are not TCD's favorite months to visit WDW. My guess is that August is one. Maybe April is the other, due to the high number of Spring Breaks visitors?

Maybe August. But definitely not April. We don't make it in April too much, just because the kids don't get too many school days off in April, but April is awesome. August not so much, but we have done a few back-to-school trips, and August is fun.

snapback.pngkampfirekim, on 04 April 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

This last update has gotten me very excited for the expansion to be finished!!! Everything looks great so far!

I don't know why Humphrey was on the poster at the train station but I am 100% Pro-Humphrey! "Pick the litter up... put it in the bag.... bomp bomp" ;D

"then you bend your back...put in the sack..bomp bomp"

Very pro-Humphrey here!! :))

Hmmm. Everybody likes Humphrey! I need to study up on him.

Thank you for that!

That is a funny little cartoon.

But Humphrey comes across as a dummy in it.

I know that cannot always be the case.

Isn't this an amazing time that we live in? Youtube is awesome!

TCD

OK, it is finally time to get this big old trip report back on track and moving.

If you can remember that far back, we left off with us in the MK on Sunday afternoon awaiting the 3 o'clock parade.

We were initially waiting across from the Diamond Horseshoe, but decided to cross the street so we could be in some shade.

So we crossed over.

And I made a discovery.

Did you know they serve lunch in the Diamond Horseshoe?

Well they do.

This sign says so:

Image2846.jpg

But only until 3.

And it was just 3 now.

We had already eaten, but I thought I ought to check on what they had in there for future reference.

Here's the menu:

Image2840.jpg

I saw the station where they were carving the meat for the sandwiches.

It looked really good.

Plus, check out the seating in here:

Image2841.jpg

Image2842.jpg

Image2844.jpg

Image2845.jpg

The AC was nice and cool, and there are restrooms right here in the building.

We will be paying this place a visit on a future MK trip.

The 3 o'clock parade was everything that you would expect it to be. Floats, characters, princesses, etc. I would show you the photos, but they seem to be missing.

NBD.

If you've seen one parade you've seen them all.

After the parade ended, it was still crowded.

The girls thought we ought to go and get some more Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards.

I said fine.

So we headed to Main Street.

Remember that we had come and hopped right on the train when we arrived today.

So we didn't know about this:

Image2847.jpg

Big deal, you say, it's just the Main Street ice cream parlor.

Yes, but it is a big deal, because it has been boarded up and closed since January.

But now it's open.

I really don't know why they had to board it up to do whatever they did, because it doesn't look any different to me:

Image2848.jpg

The Bakery is still hidden under this big fancy facade:

Image2849.jpg

I just saw in a post from yesterday that this big facade was removed since we were there just last week. I can't wait to see Main St. back to normal.

We got some new Sorcerers cards at the Fire Station.

Twin #1 liked this one, which is on the rare list:

Image2850.jpg

I am posting this one for the new fiend here on FF.net who goes by the name Yensid Camper:

Image2851.jpg

You know that Yensid is Disney spelled backward, right? And Yensid is the name of the Sorcerer in the Sorcerer's Apprentice, which can be seen in the movie Fantasia. I really am not a big Fantasia fan, so I don't know if the Sorcerer is shown in the movie, but that is not a good looking man, is it?

The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game has turned out to be a hit with the TCD twins. I think it's dumb, but they like it. Since they have been playing it, I have paid a bit more attention to what happens at the various portals, and I have to admit that the technology is pretty cool, and that the game itself is much more fun than I inititally thought. And, based on the number of people I have seen playing the games, I am in the definite minority in thinking that the game is dumb.

For no apparent reason, there was a group of castmembers playing with a parachute right in front of the Fire Station:

Image2852.jpg

I previously received and posted a tip that the Goofy bench is back where it belongs in the MK.

CK2 had previously asked about this.

Well, here is Goofy:

Image2853.jpg

Hey, look at the old man in the rocking chair up there on the porch. I didn't know they had rocking chairs there. Good to know.

Here are the TCD twins with Goofy:

Image2854.jpg

I took that photo so I could post it and have bragging rights as the first Fiend to post a photo of the Goofy bench being back.

But I got beat to the punch by Lou.

And he doesn't even read trip reports!

Here's one more photo of the Goofy bench. I think it looks pretty nice:

Image2856.jpg

It was closing in on 4 pm now, and we had plans to hit AK and come back to the MK for a 3 am EMH tonight.

And here we were right by the exit.

So we exited.

Don't worry we will be back.

But for now, it's back to the Fort.

And here we are on the Fort's dock:

Image2857.jpg

When I looked at this photo, I couldn't remember why I took it.

Then I remembered.

Look at the sky in the distance betwen the flag and the diagonal rope.

Do you see a little speck in the sky?

No?

Try this-

Look in the sky just above the trees over the white buoy in this photo:

Image2858.jpg

Do you see it?

No?

How about if we zoom in a bit:

blimp.jpg

There is a blimp flying around over there.

Why?

I think there was a big golf tournament going on in Orlando over the weekend. I think the blimp must have been there for the television coverage.

Here we are back at the good old Fort:

Image2859.jpg

We hopped in our cart and headed back to the 1500 loop.

Just outside our loop, we were treated to a bit of drama. I documented it so you could share. Please enjoy these photos which document what I will call the great beach ball rescue:

Image2860.jpg

Image2861.jpg

Image2862.jpg

What I should have done is shot a video. There was just enough wind, and the folks in the canoe were just bad enough at paddling, that they had a heck of a time getting that ball. In fact, after a while, the girls asked me to drop them off back at camp, because this clearly was going to take all afternoon. I reluctanlty agreed, and just as we got to our site, I heard a large cheer. I can only assume that they got the ball. But, unfortunately, I missed it.

As I mentioned, we planned to head to AK some time later in the afternoon. It was open until 8, so we thought we would take advantage of that, and also eat at one of our favorite quick serve places- the Flame Tree BBQ.

I took a really brief nap in the official TCD hammock, and then it was time for a soda run.

They were already taking photos for the first Hoop Dee Doo Revue seating, and I noticed that they were taking the photos in a different place than normal, so I had to check that out.

I walked by casually so I could walk back and get a closer look.

I found something new over by the DVC booth across from Pioneer Hall.

This:

Image2863.jpg

Corn Hole!

Why?

Here is where they were taking the photos:

Image2864.jpg

If I recall correctly, this is where they used to take the photos before setting up the photo area across from here. Now, they moved back to the other side of the street.

Why?

I don't know if there is any relationship between these next photos and the new photo location, but the Barrels of Fun are over here now:

Image2865.jpg

But, they are out of order:

Image2869.jpg

There must be some connection I am missing here.

Here we are back at camp.

I took a few photos of the bare cypress trees next to my site. They are called Bald Cypress trees, you know. This is the time of year when they're bald:

Image2870.jpg

Those trees will not be bald for long.

I took this close up of some of the leaves budding:

Image2871.jpg

I thought that photo was in focus, but it isn't. My eyes are starting to go.

Here's another look at the bald branches:

Image2872.jpg

But look at this zoom on that photo. You can see all the leaves budding on the branches. These cypress trees are probably no longer bald:

cypress.jpg

Well, that is 30 photos.

And that's all I can give you in this post.

So we will finish this one.

The next post will start up with our visit to AK.

TCD

Thanks for the Diamond Horseshoe tip. Sound like a nice change from burgers and a good spot to get out of the heat.

Did the girls get sunburned? They look awfully pink in that picture with Goofy.

Most importantly...is Goofy talking yet?

I'm happy you got a little nap in your hammock. :thumbsup3:

Good Goofy pics, and good Diamond Horseshoe pics, and GREAT Barrel Pics. Now, did you look behind either Goofy or ..... more importantly..... the Barrells...... to see if they were plugged in??? I mean where have your investigative skills gone???

Don't like Fantasia?!? What the Fort? (I even love Fantasia 2000. The Donald Duck version of Noah's Ark to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance is Fantastical!)

Yes. Yensid the sorcerer is in the movie. He's in both of the Fantasia moves actually as Fantasia was originally supposed to be an ongoing project picking up one sequence from the previous movie and so on and so on. The Sorcerers Apprentice was the one that carried over to the new movie. :)

Here's Donald as Noah for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://youtu.be/q_h2AuTpygc

Great update by the way! I haven't been in the Diamond Horseshoe since it was actually The Diamond Horseshoe Review. That's been a while!!

Not sure why the CM's were playing parachute in MK but it's a good idea. We have one for Gabe. It provides a lot of entertainment and can be used to produce a calming effect. That is always a good thing. Pro-parachute here! :)

Don't like Fantasia?!? What the Fort? (I even love Fantasia 2000. The Donald Duck version of Noah's Ark to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance is Fantastical!)

Yes. Yensid the sorcerer is in the movie. Both of the Fantasia moves actually.

I don't like Fantasia either. I have never been able to finish that movie....

Ahhh...the Diamond Horseshoe. I remember going when I was in high school and we loved the show. I was disappointed when I went back in 1999 for my honeymoon and it was gone. At least we can eat in there now. And it still looks the same. Might have to make a stop there in September and belly up the bar.

woo hoo!! all I saw in the blip pics at first was the specks of dirt on my screen!! Thanks for the zoom cause I would have went crazy!!!

:jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

Darn.

Now I wish I didn't post the zoom.

It would have kept you busy all afternoon.

I remember the Diamond Horseshoe as a kid. We only went to Disney during the summer months so my parents (especially my mom) liked to duck in here and watch the show because of the AC that TCD mentioned.

Thank you Captain Obvious! (are you getting tired of that yet?)

If I recall correctly, the Diamond Horseshoe used to be a fancy place to eat, and included a show. Then a little bit ago, they were using it for some kind of a meet and greet area for Woody and Jesse from Toy Story. Now, it's just a quick serve joint.

Thanks for the Diamond Horseshoe tip. Sound like a nice change from burgers and a good spot to get out of the heat.

Did the girls get sunburned? They look awfully pink in that picture with Goofy.

Most importantly...is Goofy talking yet?

I'm happy you got a little nap in your hammock. :thumbsup3:

They were a little sunburned before this trip.

Twin #1's arms were already peeling, and you can see a bit of that in some of the photos.

And, no, Goofy was not talking.

Looking forward to the Flame Tree BBQ pictures. I am still looking for somewhere new to eat and an additional update would be appreciated.. I just got back from dentist and I could use the distraction!!

I think we are still two posts away from the food photos.

I'm not sure we will get there today.

But I am going to try to post another update, and at least that will get us closer.

Good Goofy pics, and good Diamond Horseshoe pics, and GREAT Barrel Pics. Now, did you look behind either Goofy or ..... more importantly..... the Barrells...... to see if they were plugged in??? I mean where have your investigative skills gone???

I did look all around Goofy. I couldn't find a cord, let alone a place to plug it in.

And the barrels were unplugged, and not near an electric outlet that I could see.

So, I'm not sure that Goofy will be talking any time soon.

And I don't know what to make of the barrrels. To me it kind of looked like they had been moved over to the side and were waiting to be picked up. I don't know.

Yes. Yensid the sorcerer is in the movie. Both of the Fantasia moves actually.

Here's Donald as Noah for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://youtu.be/q_h2AuTpygc

Yes. Sorry. Can't stand Fantasia. Either one of them.

I just say no to drugs.

So, I think there's my problem right there.

I don't like Fantasia either. I have never been able to finish that movie....

The voice of reason!

Ahhh...the Diamond Horseshoe. I remember going when I was in high school and we loved the show. I was disappointed when I went back in 1999 for my honeymoon and it was gone. At least we can eat in there now. And it still looks the same. Might have to make a stop there in September and belly up the bar.

So, what was the show like? Was it a dinner show like the Hoop Dee Doo Revue? Did they have seatings at certain times? Where is the bar? I didn't see a bar?

TCD

TCD,

I am all caught up!! great trip report as always!!

Count us as another family that had the Fort Wilderness sing along. We also had the Beach one, as well as the Disneyland one! Good times!!!

You got me for a second with the panther picture at River Country!!!

Loved the pictures of the Diamond Horseshoe. Going to that show was a BIG deal for our family when I was growing up. The way it worked was, first thing in the morning you had to go and get a reservation for one of the shows of the day. It was free. You did not have to eat there. It was just like it looks to be now in your pictures, you would just go up and order what you wanted. I believe it was sandwiches back then as well. We rarely ate there. (We vacationed on a dime when I was a kid, so we usually would go back to the fort and eat. It worked for us though, we usually went to Disney twice a year from NH.) The show was great and was usually a highlight of the vacation!

The girls look a little sunburned in the Goofy photo. Tell them to be carelful, in addition to the cancers that I am currently dealing with, I was treated for melanoma 15 years ago. I have a HUGE scar on my leg. While tans are pretty, the cancer scars are ugly!!!! Ok, enough of my lecture!!!!!

Looking forward to more!

Heidi

So, what was the show like? Was it a dinner show like the Hoop Dee Doo Revue? Did they have seatings at certain times? Where is the bar? I didn't see a bar?

TCD

We were seated at tables and I remember them coming around to take our order...I think it was just snacks and sandwiches and drinks.

It was a cute show. Old-timey cowboys and dance hall girls. I have pictures somewhere. I'll have to find them and post. They did some song and dance numbers. One of them was something about "Belly up to the Bar" and they danced on a bar with big mugs of beer. Would have been right up the Fiends' alley. ;D

DIT said he could handle two updates today, so let's see if that's true.

Although it may not seem like it from how long it is taking for me to tell you about it in this trip report, Sunday really flew by for us.

If you will remember, we were up late Saturday night with my college daughter and her friends, and I had gotten up early this morning.

I could have used some more hammock time, but it was time for us to get to AK.

It was open until 8, but we wanted to do a few things and eat there, so we headed out of the Fort just before 6.

I don't know if the bus system has improved, or if we have just been lucky lately, but we had a very short wait for the bus, and we headed straight to AK.

First stop there was for me to gather some information to settle a dispute.

In one of my recent reports, there was a big debate about what kind of critter this is:

Image2876.jpg

Image2877.jpg

First, can you see the critter?

It's the pig-looking thing there to the right of the tree trunk. He has a shadow on his head and shoulders in the first photo, and is turned the other way in the second.

I posted a photo of him in another trip report.

And then a huge fight broke out.

One poster said that it was a tapir.

Another one said it was a babirusa.

It got really ugly. Name calling. Threats. Histrionics.

OK, I made up all of that.

Actually, it was a civilized discussion.

And I did not know the answer.

So, I took a photo of the sign outside this critter's pen.

And, the answer is:

Image2873.jpg

So, fellow Fiend Sensei gets bragging rights for knowing his Babirusas from his Tapirs.

Way to go.

And, please make sure you read the sign.

Now the next time you see a babirusa, you will be able to impress people by telling them that they are more closely related to hippos than they are to pigs.

Won't you be the life of the party?

After our pig babirusa encounter, we journeyed deeper into the jungle.

Animal Kingdom is a beautiful park.

Check out this photo of Expedition Everest off in the distance:

Image2878.jpg

Here's a bonus photo of the TCD twins:

Image2879.jpg

On our way in to the park, a sign was posted telling us that the last safari ride would be at 7.

We decided to head back there first.

Here we are in Harambe village:

Image2881.jpg

I love this place.

I have never been to Africa.

But I feel like I am there when I step across the bridge from the fake Discovery Island to this part of AK.

And look how unbusy it is.

Usually this area is wall to wall people.

So what gives?

I'll let you in on a little secret.

No matter how late AK is open, people tend to clear out of there by 5.

So, on nights when it stays open later, it is a good time to visit.

And that proved true tonight.

We had no wait to board the safari.

None.

We walked right through the line and got on a truck.

Nice.

And here's another tip.

The animals know when quitting time is near.

I understand that most of them are taken out of the Safari area and to behind the scenes areas each evening.

That's where the food is.

And the animals know that.

So, when quitting time is near, they are more alert, and ready to clock out and get going.

Just like at your office.

So that means you will see more animals late in the day.

These next photos will demonstrate that.

First, here are a couple of okapis (okapii?) . Usually, you are lucky if you see one:

Image2884.jpg

And here is a bongo, the ghost of the forest:

Image2885.jpg

And, who doesn't love a Black Rhino's butt? :

Image2888.jpg

(actually that might be a white rhino- I know our guide told us which it was, but I can't remember for sure).

(it is definitely a rhino butt though)

Here are a couple photos of a couple hippos:

Image2893.jpg

Image2894.jpg

I believe what we have here is a sabel antelope:

Image2897.jpg

I love the part of the safari ride where you first see the savannah. I love how they built this so it looks like you really are out in the middle of nowhere:

Image2898.jpg

Image2899.jpg

As we drove along, our driver stopped to point something out. She didn't see this big animal in the grass, which came right up to where TCD twin #2 was sitting:

Image2901.jpg

Check out the horns on that thing! :

Image2902.jpg

Luckily for us, this fellow was not in the mood to gore anyone, and he went on his way.

But still, I don't think our guide should have let that thing get as close to us as she did.

We got to see plenty of giraffes:

Image2910.jpg

Image2911.jpg

And elephants:

Image2916.jpg

We even got a good look at a cheetah. He is right in the center of this photo, lying down:

Image2921.jpg

So far, this was one of the best safari rides we have ever had here. You normally get to see a few animals, but not as many as we have seen on this trip.

And, the best was yet to come.

Here are the two best lion photos we ever got on the safari:

Image2926.jpg

Image2927.jpg

Usually, if we saw anything in the lion area, it was just a glimpse of a sleeping lion.

But, as you can see, the king of the jungle was posing there for us looking quite majestic.

This is the female lion that I tried to pass off as a Florida panther:

Image2932.jpg

And, last, here are a couple shots of the warthog. He is in the center of the first photo, and you can see him pretty easily in the second:

Image2934.jpg

Image2935.jpg

We then rode through the geysers, and poachers camp, and saw Little Red.

I didn't get any good photos of any of that.

I need to the next time, as word is that the ending of the safari ride is going to change.

After the safari ride, we decided to go eat, and then we would finish our evening on Expediton Everest.

So, we next headed over to Flametree BBQ.

TCD

The girls look a little sunburned in the Goofy photo. Tell them to be carelful, in addition to the cancers that I am currently dealing with, I was treated for melanoma 15 years ago. I have a HUGE scar on my leg. While tans are pretty, the cancer scars are ugly!!!! Ok, enough of my lecture!!!!!

I'm afraid i am going to lecture a little more. I grew up with my mother getting skin cancer spots burned off her - a couple every six months or so. She is still having ones burned off, 30 years later. My father in law went to get some cut out of his ear today.

Skin cancer is a very real danger. Your daughters are soo pretty. I pray this will never be necessary for them.

OK, I have jumped off my soapbox. Can't wait for the next update!

Do you know how many good ideas you are giving me just in this TR alone?

We exited AK around 5 pm on our visit and it seems that a lot of other people were at the bus top too!

We rode the Safari during Morning EMH and we saw a great many of the animals but not quite as many as you!

What was Twin #2 reaction to the horned animal?

Do the Twins know how popular they are on FF.net?

Ohhhhh I love AK! It is interesting that everyone leaves around 5:00. We've noticed that too. Makes for an easy walk on for the safari. The last one of the day IMO is great! Not a lot of people weighing down the truck so you get a lot of bounce. (The boys love that). ;D Being caught on safari when it starts raining is pretty awesome too!

TCD,

I am all caught up!! great trip report as always!!

Count us as another family that had the Fort Wilderness sing along. We also had the Beach one, as well as the Disneyland one! Good times!!!

You got me for a second with the panther picture at River Country!!!

Loved the pictures of the Diamond Horseshoe. Going to that show was a BIG deal for our family when I was growing up. The way it worked was, first thing in the morning you had to go and get a reservation for one of the shows of the day. It was free. You did not have to eat there. It was just like it looks to be now in your pictures, you would just go up and order what you wanted. I believe it was sandwiches back then as well. We rarely ate there. (We vacationed on a dime when I was a kid, so we usually would go back to the fort and eat. It worked for us though, we usually went to Disney twice a year from NH.) The show was great and was usually a highlight of the vacation!

Looking forward to more!

Heidi

Thanks for the Diamond Horseshoe info.

And for the sunburn warning.

The timing is good for that now that summer is almost here.

We were seated at tables and I remember them coming around to take our order...I think it was just snacks and sandwiches and drinks.

It was a cute show. Old-timey cowboys and dance hall girls. I have pictures somewhere. I'll have to find them and post. They did some song and dance numbers. One of them was something about "Belly up to the Bar" and they danced on a bar with big mugs of beer. Would have been right up the Fiends' alley. ;D

Yes, Belly up to the Bar sounds like it would be up the Fiends' alley.

I wish I had taken the time to see the Diamond Horseshoe, but it wasn't something that interested me before it was gone.

It's been a long, long time, but I remember them just serving snacks and sandwiches too. Cute little show that the kids really enjoyed. Nice place to cool off.

Great update!

Thanks, Gwen.

It seems like a lot of you got to see the Diamond Horseshoe show.

I'm afraid i am going to lecture a little more. I grew up with my mother getting skin cancer spots burned off her - a couple every six months or so. She is still having ones burned off, 30 years later. My father in law went to get some cut out of his ear today.

Skin cancer is a very real danger. Your daughters are soo pretty. I pray this will never be necessary for them.

OK, I have jumped off my soapbox. Can't wait for the next update!

Thanks for the warning.

I will take this to heart.

Do you know how many good ideas you are giving me just in this TR alone?

We exited AK around 5 pm on our visit and it seems that a lot of other people were at the bus top too!

We rode the Safari during Morning EMH and we saw a great many of the animals but not quite as many as you!

What was Twin #2 reaction to the horned animal?

Do the Twins know how popular they are on FF.net?

Twin #2 really didn't stress over the big cow. My father-in-law used to raise cattle, and the girls have been around cows. Not really a big deal. But it wouldn't take much for those horns to do some damage on someone.

Yes, the twins know their photos are on-line a lot. We have often been recognized around the Fort or even in other places around WDW, and the conversation often begins with how the person recoginized the twins first. They pretend that they don't like it, but I think they do.

Another great update!

Thanks.

And you know what, just to go against DIT's request, I'm going to go for a third today.

That's probably what he wanted anyway.

Ohhhhh I love AK! It is interesting that everyone leaves around 5:00. We've noticed that too. Makes for an easy walk on for the safari. The last one of the day IMO is great! Not a lot of people weighing down the truck so you get a lot of bounce. (The boys love that). ;D Being caught on safari when it starts raining is pretty awesome too!

Now that you mention it, we had extra bounce too!

A little too much for my liking.

But it was fun, and it was great to see so many animals.

And, I always love rides that are walk-ons.

TCD