Error Message: TCD's Spring Break 2012 Trip Report!

p.s. Can anyone tell me why under my post count it says '0 warning points?' I don't see that on anyone else's. Or can only I see that? Thx.

Apparently it's part of the board software and you can only see your own. Jen said that it's always been here, it just moved in the last update which is why most of us are just noticing it now.

Fear not... we don't give points around here. That's not how we roll... :smug:

The tent scene is a bit ridiculous. What is the limit on tents per site?

Official rules are one camping unit (TT/MH) + 1 tent

OR

2 tents

Max = 10 people

Clearly that rule goes right out the window during spring break. :cop:

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the trip report that almost didn't happen. The TCD gang finally hit the Fort for a stay from March 24th through the 27th. Everything was going great until the morning of the 27th when TCD Twin

Since I have some momentum going here, and a bit of time, you are going to get another update. Right now. How's that for everyone? On other boards, you have to wait for days for an update. But not her

You must have rushed if you were only at Tea for three hours. We spent 7 hours, not to shabby one hour hour per lady fiend!!

Oy!

Did you read that CK2?

7 hours!

I would say get drunk before you go, but you would sober up way before the 7 hours was up.

TCD

They do serve alcohol at the tea, and I bet you could get something from the full bar nearby!!

7 of the best hours EVAH!!!

There were plans for me to add an update yesterday, but that did not happen.

Sorry about that.

I had a good April Fool's prank and everything.

I'll use it later in the report. So, pay attention.

It will just be a belated April Fools.

Before we move on, I have to repond to a few posts.

That's how I roll.

So, here we go:

Crane, I thought you meant a bird.

Lots of cranes. The Fantasyland expansion, the GF, the WL, and the Four Seasons resort.

Yes, but this crane is bad news. I'll explain why after I get caught up with the comments.

And, I didn't know that there was a crane at WL. I must have missed it.

Since I am such a noob I have to ask the dumb questions so here goes... Do you do all this sight seeing on foot or use other modes of transport? I'd like to sight see myself but can't afford a golf cart but might swing renting a bike for a few hours

Please feel free to ask away.

We are here to help.

Yes, you can easily see everything that I saw by foot.

In fact, we are about to go on a little walk to check on something.

I often will stop by the Fort for a quick visit if we are visiting WDW and not staying at the Fort. I will take a bus to the Meadow Trading Post, walk over the bridge, through the 1400 loop, down to the 300 loop, and down the path to the Settlement. It is less than a half hour walk. And very scenic. If I feel like it, I will walk back. Or, I will catch a bus or a boat from the Settlement and be on my way.

So, for sure you can do plenty of exploring by foot. I actually prefer walking to a golf cart or bike. There are things that you will miss if you are speeding by.

Just one comment.... no such thing as dumb questions, noob or otherwise!!

However on the other hand... there will be plenty of ridiculous answers. :rofl2:

Agreed!

Ridiculous answer #1. You gotta get a golf cart. Well actually you don't "gotta" get a cart, but that's how I roll.

TCD reports typically bring me great amounts of joy. However, the picture of "where the Christmas tree normally stands" made me sad.

Then again, if they left it up all year I guess it wouldn't be as special.

Maybe the yearly arrival of "the tree" significantly adds to the excitement of the season.

OK, I feel better now.

TCD TR happiness meter restored to high level.

PS. Glad you didn't lose any memories on the camera failure.

Boy, you are an emotional roller coaster, aren't you?

I hope things have leveled out for you and that you can enjoy the rest of the report.

Whew! Glad I managed to jump on board before the pages really started to move...

Great morning shots. :) I loved strolling along the canal behind 1500/1600 loops with a mug of warm coffee in hand....watching the deer feed in the morning...ahhhhhh! I've got goosebumps just thinking about it.

The tent scene is a bit ridiculous. What is the limit on tents per site?

You are right about the canals in the morning. I try to never miss them.

I think there used to be rules about where you can put your tents and how many you can have, but I haven't seen the rule writted on any of the literature they provide at check-in for a long time. Before the big clearing project in 2008-2009, there was so much brush in between the sites that it really wasn't possible to set up a tent off the tent pad. Now, people can and do put tents everywhere. In some cases, they are a considerable distance from the actual campsite.

most use a golf cart, some use bikes, some walk, or a combination of all of the above

I go with the combo myself. Although it's been a while since I have brought my bike. I think I will the next time.

I use an alpaca.

Really?

I thought it was a llama?

I agree Deb! The next best thing is waking up on a Sunday morning to another TCD update with coffee in hand. :heart:

Cranes = BOO!!

Yes, Cranes=BOO!!

I have a bit more to say about that as soon as I catch up on the comments.

Great Morning pics.... I luv the deer I just wish I could get up early enough to see them!

I wish you could too.

I'll tell you what, if you really want to see them, and if we are ever at the Fort at the same time, I'll come by and pick you up.

I can't believe I spend my Saturday doing...well, Saturday things, and missed the beginning of a TCD report!!

Am looking forward to reading this one as my nieces were at WDW that same weekend as you (not at the Fort, though). They said it was supercrowded, they hardly did any rides, but they are newbies and didn't follow any of the advice I had given them. Grrr.

p.s. Can anyone tell me why under my post count it says '0 warning points?' I don't see that on anyone else's. Or can only I see that? Thx.

Since someone already answered your question about the points thing, I'll just respond to the crowd question.

Yes, it was busy, but not nearly as busy as we have seen during other parts of the year. We hit AK and MK on Sunday, and got to do plenty with little or no waiting.

TCD

If and when I ever make it to WDW and The Fort again, i want to hire TCD to take me on an early morning walk. We can bring a few of my quieter rugrats along as chaperones. Or maybe we can get TCD to write a short self-guided tour. Now that would be cool!

The kids are still asleep. I have a cup of coffe and a TCD trip report to read. What a great way to spend a Sunday morning. Thanks TCD!

I'm glad that you got to enjoy the beginning of the report.

As I mentioned, I had hoped to add to it yesterday, but things happened.

Buckle your seatbelt for today and the rest of the week, though.

I thought there was a limit of 2 tents per site?? That's crazy to allow so many on...or in some cases off...one site. I guess we know why they never offer the free dining for the campsites.

I thought there was a limit too, but clearly this is not being enforced.

Great report as always! Glad you didn't lose your photos. I've always been worried about that with digital cameras; it's not like the old film ones where you have negatives to fall back on.

I was lucky. My photos were still on the memory card, and could be retrieved. There are instances where that is not the case.

Overall, I still like digital way better than film. I had a few occasions with film where the roll got ruined, and there was no way to save the photos.

Official rules are one camping unit (TT/MH) + 1 tent

OR

2 tents

Max = 10 people

Clearly that rule goes right out the window during spring break. :cop:

Is that rule written in any of the documents that you have scanned, Monique?

Because I have been noticing this tent thing for a while now, not just during spring break.

They do serve alcohol at the tea, and I bet you could get something from the full bar nearby!!

7 of the best hours EVAH!!!

I didn't know that you could get booze during the tea.

I still think I'll pass.

I'm not big on crumpets.

Whatever they are?

We didn't kick Brittain's butt so we could all sit around and drink tea and act like those people.

USA!

I don't mind more than 2 tents so much, shoot, I've done it myself, but all the cars, blech!! That's what the overflow lot is for!

The literature they provide to guests still does say only one motor vehicle and one camping unit per site.

As you know, they used to enforce this.

Back when Brian was still with us, he was the one who went around asking folks to move their extra vehicles out to the overflow lot.

Now nobody does it.

Then, last spring and summer, they had the rangers go around and ask folks to move their cars if they couldn't park them on the pads.

Now they don't even do that.

I have more photos to show how bad it was.

I don't care what people do on their sites.

But it bothers me greatly when they overflow from their sites into common areas, or obviously cram more than 10 guests on a site. It looks bad, and it usually means more noise and a sense of overcrowding on the loop.

TCD

If and when I ever make it to WDW and The Fort again, i want to hire TCD to take me on an early morning walk. We can bring a few of my quieter rugrats along as chaperones. Or maybe we can get TCD to write a short self-guided tour. Now that would be cool!

Marty-

I have thought about writing a suggested walking tour of the Fort.

One of these days I'm going to do it.

There are some things that I think everyone must see when they visit the Fort, and I know that there are things that people miss.

I will put this on my to-do list.

TCD

OK, time to get cranking again.

Before we move on, I want to talk about that crane for a minute.

First, I want to make sure that everyone saw it.

It's that big mechanical thing under the purple arrow here:

crane-1.jpg

So what?, you may ask.

What's the big deal about a crane?

Well, a few years ago, I watched what we now know as Bay Lake Tower rise across Bay Lake. It started out with a couple of cranes like you see in this photo.

When I first saw those cranes, I wondered why they were so tall.

Then I found out.

They were that tall because the building was going to rise up to the top of the crane.

And it did.

Here we see just one crane.

But, we know what this building is going to look like.

This is the artist's rendering that they released:

Four-Seasons-Hotels-and-Resorts-1.jpg

Study this for a moment.

How many stories do you count?

It's hard to say because the first few floors have other buildings in front of them.

But, I am guessing that this thing is about 15 stories high.

If I'm right, that makes it about the same size as the Contemporary Resort's tower.

Which means that someday in the future, we will see something like this when we stand here and look down the canal:

crane-2.jpg

Maybe it won't be purple and look like it was drawn by a 1st grader.

But, it will still be bad.

One of the things I love about the Fort is that it feels like you really are in the wilderness.

Now, one of my favorite views will be marred by a big ugly hotel.

Boo!

But, maybe I'm wrong.

At least it's only one crane, right?

TCD

I needed a good giggle today! (Bad Sunday of Nascar)

:rofl2: I loved your level of compassion for CKCK's "emotional rollercoaster" Does that come from living with 4 women?

I especially liked your purple 1st grader drawing. Way to be creative!

Crane = DOUBLE BOO!

I'm anti crane.

And pro flamingo?

LOL!

Lovin' the report. Not lovin' the crane. Glad you were able to recover your pictures!

So far nobody loves the crane.

And there more to come about that!

I am glad I was able to recover the photos, too. Thanks for your help with that.

You had me at Davy Crockett. :heart:

Jumped in a little late but I"m all caught up and ready to roll. ;D

Oh, I forgot something really important about Davy Crockett.

I learned something that amazed me right as I began watching the movie.

For as long as I can remember, we in the TCD gang have done something called a bear smile.

It is a big exaggerated grin.

I don't really recall where we picked it up.

But I do know that since the TCD kids were little, Mrs. TCD has often said "no bear smiles" when we took family portraits.

Since Mrs. TCD wasn't around when these photos were taken, Twin #1 and I are doing bear smiles in our Epcot tombstone photo:

IMG_3819.jpg

Well, imagine my surprise when I saw this scene in Davy Crockett in which old Davy explains how he tried to grin down a bear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQq-wlLZtfc

The bear smile that we have been doing all these years came from Davy Crockett!

Who knew?

TCD

OK, time to get cranking again.

Before we move on, I want to talk about that crane for a minute.

First, I want to make sure that everyone saw it.

It's that big mechanical thing under the purple arrow here:

crane-1.jpg

So what?, you may ask.

What's the big deal about a crane?

Well, a few years ago, I watched what we now know as Bay Lake Tower rise across Bay Lake. It started out with a couple of cranes like you see in this photo.

When I first saw those cranes, I wondered why they were so tall.

Then I found out.

They were that tall because the building was going to rise up to the top of the crane.

And it did.

Here we see just one crane.

But, we know what this building is going to look like.

This is the artist's rendering that they released:

Four-Seasons-Hotels-and-Resorts-1.jpg

Study this for a moment.

How many stories do you count?

It's hard to say because the first few floors have other buildings in front of them.

But, I am guessing that this thing is about 15 stories high.

If I'm right, that makes it about the same size as the Contemporary Resort's tower.

Which means that someday in the future, we will see something like this when we stand here and look down the canal:

crane-2.jpg

Maybe it won't be purple and look like it was drawn by a 1st grader.

That arrow looks more pink to me. I am sooooo glad TCD was able to retrieve his pictures from his camera (his artistic abilitly looks to be just slightly better than mine). I think I would agree now that I am probably anti-crane (here anyway but in general I think cranes are cool but that is just because I am a nerd). :)

I agree, I don't think I will like seeing the hotel from the Fort. But........ how many people actually wander back there?

You're right. The average guest probably won't see the hotel.

But those who like to walk out by or canoe the big canal sure will.

Boo!

I needed a good giggle today! (Bad Sunday of Nascar)

:rofl2: I loved your level of compassion for CKCK's "emotional rollercoaster" Does that come from living with 4 women?

I especially liked your purple 1st grader drawing. Way to be creative!

Crane = DOUBLE BOO!

It was Caveat Lector who was on the emotional rollercoaster.

And, yes, I have noticed that the TCD womenfolk occasionally are on such rollercoasters.

Not that I would ever mention that.

:rofl2: Yep! I'm very familiar with "grinning down a bear" Looks like you and the girls have the hang of it.... as long as nobody comes along to "bust up your concentratin' " ;D

LOL!

That scene cracked me up so much that I made the girls watch it when they got back that night.

They all complained about how corny the movie was, but they all LOL'd at that grin!

There's a scene later on where Davy is in a fistfight against a fellow who goes by Bigfoot. He used the grin then, and I LOL'd again!

That arrow looks more pink to me. I am sooooo glad TCD was able to retrieve his pictures from his camera (his artistic abilitly looks to be just slightly better than mine). I think I would agree now that I am probably anti-crane (here anyway but in general I think cranes are cool but that is just because I am a nerd). :)

Nope, it's definitely purple.

I'm glad you liked the artwork.

But, I'm glad I got the photos back so there will not be anymore TCD artwork.

TCD

This trip report needs an update.

So, here comes one!

We left off with me heading out to take a look at the Four Seasons hotel construction site.

I walked right out the back of the 1500 loop, and headed down past the 1600 loop.

Here we are looking down the canal:

Image2685-1.jpg

No crane view so far.

That's good.

Now we are standing behind the 1600 loop:

Image2687-1.jpg

And this is the gate on the 1800 loop:

Image2688-1.jpg

You can't see the crane from here.

So perhaps the new hotel will not be visible from any of the campsites.

That would be awful if it was.

These folks back here along the canal on the 1800 loop set there tents back off of their sites:

Image2689-1.jpg

These folks came way back:

Image2690-1.jpg

Image2691-1.jpg

Image2692-1.jpg

Just a bit past the 1800 loop, the crane comes in to view:

Image2694-1.jpg

This photo was taken from the same spot as the photo above, but turned back toward the 1800 loop. You can see that it isn't too far from the 1800 loop that the crane came into view:

Image2695-1.jpg

So, this view of the wilderness from along the canal will include a big old building pretty soon and forevermore after that:

Image2696-1.jpg

Here is a beautiful reflection shot of the crane:

Image2697-1.jpg

I took a few more steps and then I saw something horrible.

There was another crane! :

Image2699-1.jpg

Double Boo!!

It was right after that that I reached the gate that used to be unlocked, but now is locked. The sign there says "No Pets Beyond This Point." Since it specifically says no pets, and nothing about people, I have always interpreted it to mean that people are OK. So I squeezed through that little opening and continued on:

Image2701-1.jpg

From here, we can see that there are big piles of dirt on the other side of the construction fence. Also, if you look to the left of the biggest dirt pile, you will see what looks like the first floor of the building has already been framed:

Image2702-1.jpg

I call this photo Two Cranes at Sunrise:

Image2703-1.jpg

Here we are looking back toward the Fort from here. You can see the gate that I squeezed through there at the end of the path. Also, if you look just to the left of the center of the photo, you will see that tent that was set back off of the 1800 loop (it looks like an orange spot) :

Image2704-1.jpg

Also, don't miss the shadow in the photo above. That tall slim shadow was cast by me. I am neither tall or slim, so that will tell you that it was early in the morning when I visited here.

This is the marker for the 18th hole at the Osprey Ridge golf course. You can see the old tee box to the right. The fairway is on the other side of the fence, and it is all torn up. I think it is going to be used as part of the new resort. I don't know what they are using for the 18th hole at Osprey Ridge at the moment:

Image2705-1.jpg

This big sign hangs on the fence. It seems pretty clear. Felonies mean prison. So I stayed on my side of the fence:

Image2708-1.jpg

But, the mean company that posted that sign was kind enough to leave some holes in the fabric so we could take a look. Here is what I saw peeking through the fence. You can see that some structure has been built under the left crane. I assume that more stuff is yet to be built under that right crane:

Image2710-1.jpg

Here's another look through the fence at the beginning of the building:

Image2714-1.jpg

This is a look through the fence at the fairway- it is all torn up. The cart path is gone. The plans show a pond in this space, and it looks like there are some drainage pipes over to the right:

Image2719-1.jpg

We have now looked at pretty much all there was to see.

So, it's time to head back.

Here we are going back over the bridge:

Image2722-1.jpg

Make note that the golf carts used on the Osprey Ridge course are blue with white roofs. That could come in handy for someone. Just sayin':

Image2723-1.jpg

Here we are heading back down the path to the Fort:

Image2724-1.jpg

One last look back at the project:

Image2726-1.jpg

Do you think they have enough locks on the gate? :

Image2727-1.jpg

I saw this tent on my way out. It was on the 1800 loop. I liked it. Very old school:

Image2730-1.jpg

This Phaeton was right next to the Airstream and Tent. Nice:

Image2731-1.jpg

There was one male turkey pacing along the other side of the canal. No lady turkeys. I think that means that they are sitting on some nests over here:

Image2734-1.jpg

From here, it was back to base camp.

But, the girls were still asleep.

So, it was time to go take a look at something else.

We will pick it up from there in the next post.

TCD

Sorry for my brain fart! It was caveat, I just remembered the "C" name. Told you it's been a rough 24 hours in the Hendrick fan household. :banghead:

As much as I love TCD sunrise pictures, those cranes did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Hoping your next adventure is more fort-like.

I did enjoy your svelte silhouette shot! I think I need to give that a try once. For the first time in my life, I may look 5' tall!! :jumpforjoy

LOL!

That scene cracked me up so much that I made the girls watch it when they got back that night.

They all complained about how corny the movie was, but they all LOL'd at that grin!

There's a scene later on where Davy is in a fistfight against a fellow who goes by Bigfoot. He used the grin then, and I LOL'd again!

Corny!? What the Fort?! Davy is awesome. Ok, so I grew up watching and lovin' Davy. Who couldn't love a man who was half man, half alligator and a little tetched with snappin' turtle? ;D

Maybe I should consider using that grin on the kids... and H...

(I LOL a little when I watch that movie too)

Now. I have to say that KFK is pro-booing of the cranes. Boooo! Boooo! Cranes at Sunrise would be better with bird cranes NOT FW view busting cranes.