Error Message: TCD's Spring Break 2012 Trip Report!

I think I'm caught up! Well, I keep hitting next on my phone and it keeps returning me to the top of the page, so I'll take that as a hint.

I had several things to comment on, but somewhere between feeding and bathing children, eating dinner, and enjoying percussion instruments with preschoolers at church, I've forgotten some things.

Let's see what I do remember...

Sorry about your Gators. Losing stinks. However, it made for a good UK/UofL game. So glad that we won that one. I'm surprised the state of Kentucky didn't blow up during that game.

Hmm...insert comments on various things that I forgot about...

We own the Campground Sing-a-long, as well as the Beach Sing-a-long. One of Gabriella's favorite songs at the moment is "Set Your Name Free". I know that children learn by repitition, but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of times they can watch/hear something and never be bored by it.

I want to try Flametree BBQ, but we never have. We're usually with my parents, and my mom doesn't want to eat there. She says it makes her think she's eating a zebra or something. I say it's not as bad as te jungle steak at Rainforet Cafe. I had to pass on that. Reminded me of a monkey. We always get a Picnic in the Park. It's a pretty good deal.

Did anyone answer your question about who Cartman is? I must admit that I skimmed some things, so I may have missed it. Anyway, he's a character on South Park. I wasn't allowed to watch South Park. But I had a bedroom door. And a TV in my bedroom. I don't foresee tvs in my kids' bedrooms.

Nice picture of a crow's butt.

I've seen Fantasmic! a total of one time. I don't remember that long of a wait in 06. I'm definitely not waiting for 90 minutes to see it.

Love the new FW coffee mug. Chip n Dale are two of my favorite characters, and I buy a new coffee cup every trip. Hopefully they'll have one next Spring Break!

That's all I remember. Excellent pictures, as always!

Thanks for all the comments!

Somebody did tell me who Cartman was. It's funny to me to hear you say how you had to watch South Park on the sly, as this show came out well after I was an adult. I am getting old!

Congratulations on UK's big win. I never had any doubt that they would destroy Louisville. And they did. They would have destroyed UF too, so it's probably a good thing that UF got out of the tournament when they did.

Another Fiend who isn't a big Fantasmic fan. It's scary to me that Lou is the only normal person in this bunch.

I forgot all about that picnic in the park thing. Something tells me it must no longer be available, because I haven't heard or seen anything about it in a long while.

TCD

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the trip report that almost didn't happen. The TCD gang finally hit the Fort for a stay from March 24th through the 27th. Everything was going great until the morning of the 27th when TCD Twin

Since I have some momentum going here, and a bit of time, you are going to get another update. Right now. How's that for everyone? On other boards, you have to wait for days for an update. But not her

You must have rushed if you were only at Tea for three hours. We spent 7 hours, not to shabby one hour hour per lady fiend!!

Well. TCD TR fans, we have reached that point.

The end of the photos.

Just when we start to have fun, it's time to go.

Just like all of our visits to the Fort.

So, this is it.

After the girls got up, we went out looping.

As we rode around, TCD twin #1 asked to look at my camera. The girls like to look at the ridiculous things I take photos of, and make fun of me.

Not long after I handed her the camera, Twin #1 asked me why the photos only began with the photos of Fantasmic, which we had seen the night before.

I told her that she must be doing something wrong, as all of the photos from this trip were still on the camera.

She said they weren't.

She knows her way around a camera better than me, so she tried a couple of things, and said that the photos were not there.

I looked myself, and she was right.

I was very sad.

I thought that all of my photos were gone.

If you have read this trip report, that would mean all of the photos before the photo of the dude reading a book at Fantasmic were gone.

The girls said I must have erased them.

I said I did no such thing.

But, then I thought about a couple of strange things that had happened.

First, I dropped the camera when I was at Wilderness Lodge the afternoon before. I was trying to take a photo when I dropped it, and when I picked it up, the camera seemed to have frozen- the screen was blank, and the lens would not retract. I tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't turn on. I thought the camera was a goner. But, then I took the battery out, and reinserted it, and the camera turned on after that. The lens was still stuck, but I tapped on it a bit, and it retracted. The camera seemed to be working normally after that.

Second, at Fantasmic, after I took the photos of the guy reading the book, I remember showing the photo I took to my DD so she could see the Hunger Games logo. When she handed my back the camera, there was a weird prompt on the screen that I hadn't seen before, asking if I wanted to erase the image. I scrolled over to cancel, and selected that. Then I went about my business taking photos as normal. I did not check the images after that until my DD told me the next morning that the photos were gone.

When we discovered that the photos were missing, my DD's guessed that I had accidentally erased the memory card. They think I am a dumb old man, and that in a lapse of senility, I must have pressed a couple of buttons wrong and erased the memory card. I don't think I did. I know the camera asks twice before it erases a card completely. I think it must have been a camera or card malfunction.

After I realized that there was a problem, I told the girls that I wouldn't take any more photos, because I had heard that there may be a way to save deleted photos, as long as the images had not been over-written on the card. Of course, I had already taken a bunch of photos that morning, but once I knew there was a problem, I went into damage control mode.

I share all of this as a prelude to the last bunch of photos I will be sharing. There were two things that we saw as we took that last loop that I just had to share.

First, we came across this guy riding a horse along the main road toward the four way stop. That's the 2200 loop cabins that you see in the background, so he was heading toward the Outpost:

IMG_0590.jpg

You don't see this type of thing too often, and we took a good look to see what could possibly be going on here. This guy did not have a castmember name tag on, but he does look like he is wearing some kind of costume:

IMG_0591.jpg

He just kept on riding, and cut through the woods before getting to the four-way stop, heading toward the Outpost:

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

I don't know who he was or what he was doing, but even though we were possibly risking loosing some earlier photos, I asked twin #1 to take those shots.

The next thing of interest we saw was this guy:

IMG_0597.jpg

We were coming out of the 1400 loop, when he sped past us on the sidewalk, heading toward the Settlement. Twin #1 took that photo after we caught up with the guy just as he was crossing the bridge near the 1400 loop. You can see the 300 loop playground there on the right, in the background of the photo.

You may be asking, what is so interesting about this guy? It's just a guy on a scooter.

That first photo is blocking something important.

Something that earned this guy a TCD Real Man of Genius Award.

You can see that something in this next shot, under the guy's foot:

IMG_0598.jpg

It's a bag of ice:

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

You are saying, so what?

Well, think about this- why is that guy riding around on a scooter with a bag of ice? Remember, he drove past us as we were exiting the 1400 loop. I presume that he bought this bag of ice at the Meadow Trading Post, and that he was returning to his campsite on one of the loops near the Settlement. There are many ice machines closer to where this guy was heading. And, they sell bags of ice in the Meadow Trading Post. But, this guy wanted a bag of ice from the Meadow Trading Post, and, by golly, he got one. For that effort, he earned a TCDRMOG award. Yes, there have been more deserving recipients, but this guy still got his award. Congratulations to him.

Well, that's pretty much all there is to tell about this trip.

From here, the girls did head to the MK, and I finished packing up.

I eventually moved my truck and trailer out to the overflow lot, and I got to hang around the Fort for a while until the girls came back.

It's too bad that I had to lay off the camera, because I saw some interesting things. Like:

- a double decker trailer on the 1400 loop. This thing had two complete floors.

-my old friend, the barrel painter, on a cart with another castmember with a new log bench on the back.

-a Florida panther eating an otter; and

- Mickey Mouse, dressed in his full Davy Crockett gear, and carrying a musket, riding above the Fort in a hot air balloon.

OK, I made those last two items up, just to see if you were still paying attention.

When the girls finally got back, we headed out to the Outpost, and hit the road.

As I mentioned, the girls had a school competition that they would be attending over the remainder of their spring break, so we had to get home for that. I do have a short follow up story about that, which I will share.

But, that's all I have to say about the Fort.

It was another great trip.

I am not sure at this point when the next one will be.

It seems like our schedules have really gotten busy this year.

But, somehow and someway, there will be another trip.

There always is.

Thanks for reading along.

TCD

Great report!!!

There is probably two reasons he got ice at the Meadows

(1) He had no change or cash. You can buy ice at the trading post with your room key

(2) The ice at the Trading Posts are frozen harder than the ice in the machines in the loop

Another great update!

We too have the mat with RV on it as well as the pin. I loved that logo!

Heidi

Thanks, Heidi.

I like that logo too, and the one on the newer mat as well. I don't know why they couldn't bring those back.

plus, the further back you are, if the wind is blowing toward the audience, the less chance you have to get WET!!

This is true. The first time we went to Fantasmic, we were a little closer to the stage, and it was a cold, windy night. With all the fountains and such in the show, we kept on getting wet, and it was not a magical moment.

It wasn't windy or cold the night we went on this trip, so getting sprayed was not an issue.

Great report!!!

There is probably two reasons he got ice at the Meadows

(1) He had no change or cash. You can buy ice at the trading post with your room key

(2) The ice at the Trading Posts are frozen harder than the ice in the machines in the loop

I'm sure the man had his reasons, and these would have been two good ones. I admire his determination.

That was a great trip report. I can't wait for our visit in September. Your reports ease the pain of not being able to make more frequent visits!!!

Thanks, and I hope that September comes quick for you.

Wonderful report as always! I think the end of September seems like a nice time for the TCD clan to make a return engagement at the Fort. Like, say, the 23-26th. :jumpforjoy

Sounds good to me.

But, I hope we get back to the Fort long before that.

:bravo:

Thanks for another great report, TCD!

Thanks, Monique.

And, good job keeping up with this one!

TCD

Here's that follow up story I mentioned.

We had to cut our spring break trip short because the TCD Twins were going to participate in a school function for the second part of their break.

They are in a magnet program in their high school which focuses on health and medical education.

Their school has a big chapter of the national group known as HOSA. Which stands for Health Occupation Students of America.

HOSA has state and national conventions each year which involve students competing against each other in various medical related competitions.

The TCD twins competed in the regional competition and won their category last year. That qualified them to go to the state competition. They did not place in the state competition last year, so they did not get to go to the national convention.

This year, the TCD twins again won the regional competition, and the state competition is where they were going for the second part of their spring break.

So, on Thursday morning I dropped them off at their school, and they headed to Jacksonville for the weekend.

Mrs. TCD and I heard very little from them all weekend. We knew they made it there, and that they made it back into their rooms by curfew, but the rest of the time we were in the dark.

We saw this photo on one of the girl's facebook pages. This photo was a group shot of all the girls from their school who went to the competition. You can see the TCD twins there in the middle of the pack over to the left:

groupshot.jpg

Late Saturday night, we got a text from the girls with this photo:

statechamps.jpg

That's the girls holding up their second place medal!

They came in second in the state.

There were about 30 groups competing in their category, and they came in second. The team that beat them were two Seniors from a school that traditionally dominated the state competition.

This means they get to move on to the national competition!

Last year, it was held in Anaheim, California.

This year, it is being held in Orlando.

Actually at the Coranado Springs Resort in Walt Disney World.

The TCD twins left the Fort so they could compete for a chance to go to Nationals, and since they came in second place, they will be returning to WDW in June for a chance to win a national award.

WTG TCD Twins!

TCD

Hip Hip Hooray for another great TCD TR!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I'm glad that you liked it.

Well done, TCD Twins and good luck at Nationals!!

I think the fact that it's at WDW is a good omen. :)

A good omen maybe.

But I sense trouble. They are already scheming about how they will get their park time in. They have learned that one of the teacher chaperones is a big Disney fan, and there has been discussion about some unauthorized adventures.

Sad, Happy, Waiting

Sad to see the end of another great TCD TR.

Happy for your daughters. WTG!

Waiting (eagerly) for the next TR.

I will be anxously waiting along with you for the next trip report. But, I will be more anxiously awaiting the next trip.

Great TR and congrats to the twins! Good luck to them at nationals.

Thanks!

Awesome job TCD Twins!!

Yes, awesome.

And I'm glad you spelled that right (without the "U")

Congrats to the TCD twins, that is awesome.

On the ice situation - If the guy had an Annual Pass, he may have saved 10% off the ice at the trading posts.

I hope that you're right about this guy going to the trading post so he could use his pass to save $.20 on the ice.

Which, BTW, I am not sure is correct.

If I am not mistaken, they actually charge more than $2 for a bag of ice in the trading posts and they charge tax. So, I think the end price is more. The quantity of ice in the bag may be slightly more, but not much.

The ice is only $2 a bag from the ice machines at the comfort stations. Carol is right, though, that ice is already busy melting when you get it out of the machine.

TCD

Careful on that word of normal, because in the infamous words of Adam Savage. "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own"

Respect point for you Bill! :clint:

But don't worry, I'll just take it away on another post, to make sure your street cred stays the same. :flush2: :rofl2:

I'm so happy that you were able to recover your photos. I would go into complete panic mode if I lost my pictures!

Tell the girls CONGRATS!!! "Aunt Stef" is proud of them! :))

Could you please add him to the dock?

And just for Yvonne:

HalloweenFort2011124.jpg

Thanks for another great report!!

Respect point for you Bill! :clint:

But don't worry, I'll just take it away on another post, to make sure your street cred stays the same. :flush2: :rofl2:

LOL!

Poor Bill.

Awesome for the DDs!!!!!! :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

Thanks!

I am glad that they ended up with something to show for going to a school event during their break.

I'm so happy that you were able to recover your photos. I would go into complete panic mode if I lost my pictures!

Tell the girls CONGRATS!!! "Aunt Stef" is proud of them! :))

And just for Yvonne:

HalloweenFort2011124.jpg

Thanks for another great report!!

I was in panic mode about my photos for a while, but the more I read up on it, the more I thought that I had a good chance of recovering them, and I did. I just wish that it was something that I could have done without buying software.

That is a great photo of Bob and his dock. It's weird how the 900 loop bus stop looks so close in the background.

Good job, Twins! :jumpforjoy

Thanks.

And I will try to remember to get those baby bird photos from Twin #1 tonight.

TCD