So you thought the cranes from GF DVC was bad... they are coming to the fort...

Epcyclopedia wasn't posting all old news- his main point was that there was infrastructure being put in place at the STOLport to actually begin work on projects at the Fort. He even mentioned that the permit filings from last year had "faded into relative obscurity."

He writes that Disney filed for permission to start work, not that there was any infrastructure work going on there yet.

Sounds like we need a Fiend on the ground to take some pictures to verify if anything is really happening. Are things really starting to move forward or is it just old news about stuff that could happen (Fiends want to know)? :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me see if I have this right, Epcylopedia is objecting to someone copying the image that he copied from the SFWMD site? Sorry Epcyclopedia, but you are not the only one who knows how to monitor the

One other thing to think about is that when search engines see the exact same content on two different sites it dilutes the page rank for both sites. All I know for sure is that as a site owner I work

Sounds like we need a Fiend on the ground to take some pictures to verify if anything is really happening. Are things really starting to move forward or is it just old news about stuff that could happen (Fiends want to know)? :)

I check on the areas where the new horse barn and new dining pavilion are supposed to go every time I visit the Fort. As of 3/27/12 there is no sign of anything about to happen in either of those locations. Keep in mind that building permits have not been issued for either of these projects. They can't do anything until the permits are issued.

TCD

I reread it more carefully, golf cart parking lot. Whew!!! :whew:

For what it's worth. Doug Woolever stated in Jan that "his boss" (Doug Lord??) requested that the GC parking be enlarged and that a new path from the FORT be included in that project to help improve safety and access. He also said it would be while before the project would start, so we shall see.

I go by the landing strip many times during the day and I haven't seen any unusual a

And it sounds like they have just gotten the permit for that.

From that article, it doesn't appear that they have the permits for the work in the staging area as described, they just have filed for permission.

They can't do anything until the permits are issued.

Exactly

One of us has to move into the Fort and keep very close tabs on all this so they can send daily reports.

It'll be a hardship, but I'll volunteer to do it for the good of the Fiends...

What are you waiting for?

So then they won't be taking away any of the camping sites, but the noise will be infringing on the 100 & 200 loops with some the things being moved?

Where will these people be checking in at? Will they have to enlarge settlement building or add check in lanes? Will they be adding extra laundry facilities to the main pool area for these new folks? Because if I had choice of sitting in the laundry room at a DVC building or sitting by the pool over a little ways, I'd be picking the pool.

They are enlarging the stables for more horses? More bikes? More canoes?

I think that as long as they add the extra items, it doesn't have to a them vs us situation.

I believe all the DVC resorts that have been constructed so far have had their own pools. We may also get a quick service restaurant out of this. I hope it enhances and doesn't take away. I'm sure it will be fine.

Just blue-sky wannabe imagineering, but what kind of DVC buildings do you think would match the Fort best? The Wilderness Lodge villas are supposed to resemble old railroad era hotels, which I don't think will match very well.

I was thinking garrison-style buildings: http://www.preservationnation.org/assets/photos-images/preservation-magazine/fortnumberfour.jpg

Or how about giant tipis? Would that be too "campy"? LOL

Perhaps Algonquin-style longhouses would work? They could be scaled up and still match Fort Wilderness's theme.

We took the tour at WL and were told that the FORT, CABINS, VILLAS and the LODGE were are in a historical sequence according to what Walt wanted. CG, early settlers crossing the plains in tents. Cabins, once they got settled, VIllas, early RR years and travel to the West, then WL National parks. So hopefully what ever they build will fit in the sequence somewhere. Since it is going where RC was maybe it will be early River travel. Just a SWAG.

It's a distinction without a difference. Do you really expect that they won't receive that permission, and then begin shortly to move on it?

Actually, it probably is. Because their permitting process is somewhat internal, they probably request permisiion and request permits on LOTS of things that never actually get done. It's cheap and easy for them. Unlike most construction projects, they don't request permits until they are sure that dirt is gonna move. Disney probably requests permits just on speculation that dirt is gonna move.

It's a distinction without a difference. Do you really expect that they won't receive that permission, and then begin shortly to move on it?

I'm trying to figure out, permission from who. There is a ton crap already at the air strip. And it doesn't sound like there moving dirt at the air strip, just bringing in a bunch of junk.

I'm skeptical about that part of the story.

Why of all the projects that are going on, do they need a staging area a couple of miles away. The AOA project is much larger and I'm not aware of a staging area for that.

I'm trying to figure out, permission from who. There is a ton crap already at the air strip. And it doesn't sound like there moving dirt at the air strip, just bringing in a bunch of junk.

I'm skeptical about that part of the story.

Why of all the projects that are going on, do they need a staging area a couple of miles away. The AOA project is much larger and I'm not aware of a staging area for that.

Air strip?

Hey I haven't read this entire thread yet so sorry if I'm wrong, but I saw this permit (http://my.sfwmd.gov/ePermitting/DetailedReport.do?recordId=0&showMenu=false) come accross a couple weeks ago and I didn't see where it mentioned anything about Fort Wilderness.

It was for construction trailers, but I didn't see where it mentioned for what project.

By the way the submittal was to the SFWMD for an environmental permit. Reedy Creek Improvment District (Disney) has to permit through the state agency SFWMD, they can't get around that one.

I'll try to get caught up some more now that I'm back. Sorry if all of this has already been said.

WBI

I added the link above, maybe you can see what I'm missing I can't find where it mentions the Fort at all???

Edited by WannaBeImagineer

I just checked on the Backyard BBQ permit and its not approved yet, it hasn't been touched for almost a year actually.

The Wilderness Way improvements permit is approved though, so maybe thats where they will start. It was mostly utility construction under the road and a new pond, nothing to exciting.

WBI

I just checked on the Backyard BBQ permit and its not approved yet, it hasn't been touched for almost a year actually.

The Wilderness Way improvements permit is approved though, so maybe thats where they will start. It was mostly utility construction under the road and a new pond, nothing to exciting.

WBI

Thanks, Nick.

I think that Epcyclopedia made a giant leap by saying that moving some trailers on the old Stol-Port means that Fort Wilderness DVC construction will begin soon.

You have confirmed that they don't have permits to do anything yet.

And, the only permit applications that have been filed are for the new barn and the new dining pavillion. There has not been a permit application filed to do anything on the site of the rumored new DVC project.

TCD