The Turkey Path To The Crik - (Due to Popular Demand for More Pictures)

This is the view from Sister's kitchen window.

IMG_0418.jpg

Now on to the Turkey Path. It is located in a state park outside of Wellsboro, PA. It leads down to this thing they call the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon or Grand Canyon PA. The imaginary daughter took most of these pics.

100_1322.JPG

100_1323.JPG

100_1324.JPG

Sister took this one -

100_1336.JPG

If you look closely you will see a bunch of rocks piled up all over the Crik. The one in the left is our contribution to the crik.

100_1331.JPG

Sister also took this one-

100_1342.JPG

Word to the wise. If you hike down the Turkey Path, it is approximately 1.5 miles down and the bottom now has more than a few stairs. SLOW AND STEADY. Don't decided to attack them coming back up.... just saying.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The four of you, who will remain nameless, Cherie, Dave, Bob, and Bill, have taken a perfectly innocent TR and brought it down to the depths of depravity and vulgarism that is beneath even the four of

I think I can help out here. I'm not real strong in my Russian, but I do believe it translates to "hey, the f*ing dog pooped in the trailer and I'm out of vodka."

Looks like a good option also! Thanks!!

More Pics! More Stories! More Pics! More Stories! More Pics! More Stories!

Hey Nick, I won't take the quiz either, but only because it involves thinking.

How did you like the upstate NY area? I've heard it's been extremely hot.

Glad to see you having some adventures instead of RV shopping! ;)

Hey Nick, I won't take the quiz either, but only because it involves thinking.

How did you like the upstate NY area? I've heard it's been extremely hot.

Glad to see you having some adventures instead of RV shopping! ;)

Sorry. History just isn't my thing.

I guess this all means one thing....I am the quiz winner!!! :bellringer:

moonwalker.gif

smiley.gif

carlton.gif

moonwalker.gif

number-one-dance.gif

Are you really gonna let him get away with this?

We interrupt you obsession with my new TT for this POP QUIZ - No Googling, as per the usual. Guessing is permitted and encouraged.

1. How many cannons were used at the Battle of Antietam? 500

2. What town was the battle nearest? Shrarpsburg, MD

3. Who commanded the Union army? McClellan

4. Who commanded the Confederate army? Lee

5. What was considered a casualty of war? wounded, missing, or killed

6. Why was the observation tower built at Antietam? to train military officers in battlefield tactics

7. How long did the battle last? 12 hours

8. How many Generals died? 6

9. What's the deal with the Bible of Dunker Church? The Bible was stolen by a Union Soldier (from NY) only to be returned sometime after his death.

10. What is the Sunken Lane? The Sunken Lane is also known as the Bloody Lane. It was a sunken farm road that the confederates used to hold off many Union Soldiers. At least until the Union Soldiers flanked them, then it became "like shooting sheep in a pen" for the Confederates.

On your mark...

get set.....

GO!!!!!

Antietam - The Bloodiest One Day Battle In American History

DSC_0395.JPG

Things I learned at Antietam -

1. McClellen was given a synopsis of lee's plans to invade the north

2. A southern sympathizer was in the group McClellan announced this to and made sure Lee knew.

3. All of the union soldiers at Harper's Vally were paroled.

4. 23,000 causalties (wounded, missing, killed)

5. It ended the first invasion into the North

6. Maryland has a dual Memorial (confederate and Union). Although Maryland did not secede from the Union, it was a border state and truly split between the sides.

7. It was the single bloodiest one day battle in American History.

8. At one point in the battle, one group of soldiers highest ranking officer was a captain because all the officer were causalties.

9. Antietam is still used to train Military Officers.

10. The Bible of Dunker Church was stolen by a Union Soldier but returned in the years after his death.

11. Technically Antietam was considered a stalemate by many historians. We were told that Lee showed up on the second day to renew the battle but McClellan did not. However, Lee went back across the Potomac abandoning the field to the Union. Lincoln used this to announce the coming of the Emmancipation Proclamation, giving the war the dual purpose of reforming the Union and freeing the African American Slaves.

DSC_0467.JPG

Things I didn't learn at Antietam

1. The battle lasted a mere 12 hours.

2. After eight hours, 15,000 of the 23,000 casualties were already killed or wounded. Most of these occurred in the cornfields at the north end of the battlefield.

3. Not all of the Union forces entered the battle.

4. Union -killed 2,100, wounded 9,550, missing/captured 750 (approx numbers)

5. Confed - killed 1,550, wounded 7,750, missing/captured 1,020 (approx)

6. Six Generals Killed

7. 500 cannons were used in Antietam with 50,000 rounds firing.

DSC_0588.JPG

DSC_0605.JPG

DSC_0645.JPG

DSC_0659.JPG

DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0740.JPG

There is a couple of things at the battlefield that I do not have pictures of. The weather turned on us so I did not get the Antitam National Cemetary or Burnside's Bridge.

A Small Quiz -

1. What is the Largest Cave in the World?

2. Where is it located?

3. Why are it's bat's endangered?

1. I don't do caves (claustrophobic) They do have plenty of hiking trails but I am told that you would just sit at the campground in your chair.

2.you said you were in Kentucky so my guess it's there You are so good.....

3. I know bats are a good thing but....... they activate my fight/flight instinct... in the flight mode.

1. Mammoth Cave? I think I heard that name somewhere before Once again ! :bravo:

2. somewhere in Virginia....just guessing bc that's where you were You are two state behind my friend. We had an unexpected mid week move. I am also skipping a stop in this TR because well the pictures weren't good and the story hard to tell without the pictures.

3. too much guano in one place? Nope, but interesting answer.

A Large... No Mammoth Update:

Welcome to our latest stop. Mammoth Cave is the longest known (explored) cave system in the world. It has more than 390 miles of explored passages. Something to know: White Nose Bat Syndrome is affecting certain cave systems in the United States and if you have visited any other caves before Mammoth Cave and you are wearing the same shoes you will have to treat your shoes before venturing into the cave and EVERYONE walks over treatment matts upon exiting. If you have questions call before purchasing your tickets. My shoes got a 5 minute bath and a 10 second rinse. No big deal.

IMG_0399.JPG

America has 3 of the 5 longest caves in the world. Jewel Cave comes in 2nd and Wind Cave is 5th. Wind Cave was 3rd until a year ago. According to Ranger Rose, Mammoth Cave is a dry cave. I wonder if that is why we didn't get the lecture on Carbonic Acid (Jewel, Wind, Oregon Caves). As a matter of fact, we only saw too examples of Flow Stone in the cave.

IMG_0404.JPG

Here are two examples of "Historical Graffiti". Historical Graffiti is anything done prior to the National Park System taking over. Anything after that will "get you a meeting with a new ranger, wearing a gun, and the price of your ticket will go up exponentially".

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

Here is a tip - Lead the Pack or Bring Up the Rear

If you really want to hear the guide well, lead the pack. You will also have the easiest time keeping up. The Ranger sets the pace for the tour. If you are in the back, you are always playing catchup.

Having said that, in every tour, the best place to get photos is in the back. In the middle of the pack the group is just following the leaders. In the back you can pause to snap that picture without disturbing the crowd. Just make sure you take one picture and keep up with the group. At some caves, you only have the one Ranger so the group is responsible for keeping together. Not everyone remembers this.

IMG_0410.JPG

Unlike at Jewel and Wind Cave, most of the tours at Mammoth are mammoth in size. They send in two rangers for every group. One leads the tour and talks and the other one brings up the rear and turns off the lights. We found that the back was just as informative as the front. The kids enjoyed watching the lights go out behind us. We also found out information that we wouldn't have gotten in the middle of the pack. As well as some good tips for stairs in the cave. (If the head room gets tight, walk down backward). Granted there were a few times we had to speed up to catch the group.

IMG_0417.JPG

Back into the "real world" aka the heat and humidity.

IMG_0443.JPG