• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The four of you, who will remain nameless, Cherie, Dave, Bob, and Bill, have taken a perfectly innocent TR and brought it down to the depths of depravity and vulgarism that is beneath even the four of

I think I can help out here. I'm not real strong in my Russian, but I do believe it translates to "hey, the f*ing dog pooped in the trailer and I'm out of vodka."

Looks like a good option also! Thanks!!

Pop Quiz -

1. What is One of the two Memorials we did not see yesterday?

2. How long, round trip, is the walk down the National Mall?

3. What building did I only go onto for about 5 minutes? (FB has the answer)

4. What speeches are in the Lincoln Memorial?

5. Why is the Washington Monument closed?

6. Name one attraction inside the Smithsonian's American History Museum.

7. Name one of the attractions you can walk into at the Air and Space Museum.

8. Which one of these had my children, somehow, never had:

a. Ice cream cones

b. snow cones

c. Jolly ranchers

d. dr pepper

9. What is inside the Smithsonian's Castle?

10. What percentile of my body hurts on the Monday after spending 7 hours in DC?

Oh boy another quiz....been a couple of years since I have been to DC.

1. WW11 - I really want to see this one. Didn't get to the last time we were there.

2. 4 miles

3. Don't know

4. Gettyburg Address, and his second inauguration address

5. Earthquake

6. Star Spangled Banner

7. 1903 Wright Flyer

8. Dr. Pepper

9. Offices and somebody's Crypt......I think Smithson.

10. 99% That's a long day!

Seven States & The GWB - A few travel pictures to tide you ovah

Obligatory Airstream Stuck In Traffic Photo - (Say Hi to Minerva)

DSC_0068.jpg

The reason for the obligatory Airstream Stuck In Traffic Photo -

DSC_0080.JPG

Some progress but honestly, I always wanted to drive 3 miles an hour in a 55. Didn't you?

DSC_0096.JPG

Whew... finally freedom!

DSC_0159.JPG

Did you know that Delaware was the First State... see size matters not! It says so on the sign. Small Wonder!

DSC_0178.JPG

Next Up - Head, Shoulders, .... wait I can't feel the rest!

1. Korean War (my fav)

2. 3 miles?

3. Not on facebook, I'll guess the Capitol building

4. Gettysburg/2nd Inaugeral

5. earthquake damage

6. Remember a lot of GW artifacts but can't remember one in particular (was 12 i think when I went in the museums but have been to many other places in DC post 9-11)

7. There is an Apollo capsule I believe and maybe a Gemini also

8. snow cone?

9. No idea

10. 100% and you are numb from your knees down

Love it!!

Well shoot, now I know why Maryland got 6 tornados this weekend. And here I thought it was just a random big wind... :dogsnicker:

Are you still in the area? Starla's off today & tomorrow, we'll bring the punch & jolly ranchers...

Pop Quiz - Answers

1. What is One of the three Memorials we did not see yesterday? Jefferson, Arlington National Cemetary, Korean

2. How long, round trip, is the walk down the National Mall? We walked 6.8 Miles that day. Not including the distance covered inside the Museums.

3. What building did I only go onto for about 5 minutes? (FB has the answer) Art Gallery

4. What speeches are in the Lincoln Memorial? Gettysburg and 2nd Inaugral

5. Why is the Washington Monument closed? Earthquake

6. Name one attraction inside the Smithsonian's American History Museum. The Wright Flyer (a replica and the original propeller)

7. Name one of the attractions you can walk into at the Air and Space Museum. mockup of Skylab

8. Which one of these had my children, somehow, never had:

a. Ice cream cones

b. snow cones

c. Jolly ranchers

d. dr pepper

9. What is inside the Smithsonian's Castle? The Crypt, Offices, and the "information center", not to mention an extremely expensive cafe

10. What percentile of my body hurts on the Monday after spending 7 hours in DC? 75% (basically from the lower back down). who knew a foot could hurt in so many different places

Ok, so I wasn't even close. Next time don't make me work so hard. I do better with multiple choice.

Where are we now Nicki?

Can't wait for more pics and more history lessons!

Just outside D.C in Maryland... and more will be coming up sometime today. I think I may have to take the kids for a swim first though....

Did you guys get a chance to go to Mount Vernon? I love that place.

Or how about the holocaust museum? Not exactly an uplifting experience but something definitely worth doing at least once.

Enjoy the swim...I can wait patiently!

Sadly no. My husband still works during the week. We usually travel on Sat and do family sightseeing on Sunday. I think in this case we should have hopped a tour bus but we had been told by a mother of 5 we could do it all without the tour bus. The only problem was, she hadn't planned museum stops and we had. So we missed quite a bit.... a reason to come back.

There is a ton to see and you couldn't do it all in a month. My brother is stationed there (Fort Myer) right now so I have been there a couple times and still a bunch of things I have not seen yet. I remember DC when I was a kid and loved it even then. The only part I didn't like is all the cement barricades that are up now near things like the White House, Capitol, etc. They all went up after 9-11 and have made it less visually appealing, but still a lot of history and good scenery. I am glad you enjoyed your time there and I am dying to see where you're headed next! Can't wait for more!

Enjoying your report. Did your campground offer a tour? I have been researching campgrounds near DC....trying to find one that is either close to metro access or offers a tour. I don't want to drive in DC again!

We are at Capitol KOA. They offer a shuttle for $12.50 into DC. From there you'd have to find another tour. We made the reservations late and they were the closest with full hookups we could find... it's painful the price. However, they do have a lifeguard at the pool, a jump floor, a nice playground, decent laundry...

I would really recommend the tour and to plan for more than one day in DC... just make sure they aren't back to back days.

There And Back Again - A Hobblers Tale

Alright people, get up. It's time to catch that shuttle to see the sights. Get moving, it leaves in an hour....

Our shuttle dropped us off at the Capitol or is it Capital. The nice lady with 4 boys and 1 girl, assured me we could see all the stuff in one looooooong day of walking and a tour wasn't really needed. We bounded down and off we went.

For TCD, I call this one "Sorta Sunrise over the Capitol"

DSC_0196.JPG

And we also have "The Sun, The Capitol, & The Fountain-

DSC_0200.jpg

This one is called.. "I shall not look at you" or "Why didn't artsy fartsy walk around and get a picture of his face?" Take your pick...

DSC_0204.JPG

You will notice an unfortunate lack of pictures of the reflecting pools. They were almost or completely empty and some were being worked on. Artsy Fartsy Picture Taking Husband did not feel they were worthy of his lense shutter.

We all shared one bucket list item. The Air & Space Museum. Now please don't ask me what was in it. We zoomed through it so fast that I can only remember a few things. You could spend an entire day in this place... if you love space flight and such.

DSC_0208.JPG

DSC_0208.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

Now we are off, passing by possibly the only restaurant in the entire area, McDonalds. Oh sure, there were cafes if you wish to spend $30.00 for four people to eat (which is what we eventually did when we reached the Lincoln half dead from starvation... to hear my kids tell it).

On to the Dead Man's Crypt and Information Center.... aka The Smithsonian's Castle-

"Weird Cloud of Dead Man's Crypt"

Or

"Look the imaginary Rebel Kids"

DSC_0233.jpg

"Tall White Spike in Vivid Blue Sky" aka the Washington Monument, which is still closed due to earthquake damage.

DSC_0235.jpg

We move on now. We hurried past the WWII Monument, planning to return, in our fevered search for sustenance. After ingesting our lunch (around 1:30), we hurried off to the Lincoln Memorial. If you have ever been here or look really close at the picture you will understand the name of this one -

Aka "Crawling with Ant People"

DSC_0239.JPG

"Really Big Sculpture"

DSC_0241.jpg

"Artsy Farts Picture of the Lincoln Memorial"

DSC_0243.JPG

On to a serious subject... The Vietnam Memorial. What you find my attitude towards Washington and Lincoln less than respectful? I assure you that from what I saw, this is the general attitude towards those memorials. I wonder if it's the historical distance or because those are about only one man? The Vietnam Memorial was much different.

Shawn liked that the soldiers in the statue were gazing towards their lost comrades....

DSC_0247.JPG

You'll notice there are no pictures of the wall. If we had a relative that was on the wall it might be different but it just didn't feel right to take a picture of some random people .....

"Big White Spear Amongst Fluffy Clouds"

DSC_0249.jpg

We next headed to "The Big White House That We Pay For But Don't Get to Live In". We walked up, stepped into the crowd, snapped a few pictures, and walked off. We did see Marine One fly overhead earlier in the day..

DSC_0252.JPG

Now we are off to use the nastiest NPS bathroom I've ever seen. Walk, painfully, to the American History Museum. We had a few full circle moments. We got to see the original "Star Spangle Banner" that flew over... what was that Fort's name?

We also got these -

We had viewed an actual mail train in North Platte, NB.

DSC_0255.JPG

"Kermit the Frog here"-

DSC_0260.JPG

One for all the geeks out there -

DSC_0261.JPG

We went down to get our souvenirs at this point. Our feet were beyond pain, more like excruciating.. at least mine were. We had seen about 1/3 of this museum but still had to walk 1.5 miles BACK to the drop off/pick up point. I also wanted to mail my DC post cards from DC. So we hobbled back, I popped into the Art Gallery Museum thingy for a restroom, got some ice cream, found a drop box, found a bench and spent a blissful 30 minutes sitting on our tushes waiting for the shuttle to pick us up.

If you make it back into DC, here are couple of hints.

1. If you want something cheap and quick for lunch check out the carts outside the Agencies. An example is the USDA had one outside of the main building where you could get a hotdog, chips and canned drink for 2.50. Granted that was 2006, but a killer of a deal back then too.

2. Speaking of hotdogs, try the half smokes, I miss the half smokes.....

3. If you are hading to the National Zoo on the Metro, use the Cleveland stop vs the zoo stop, the cleveland stop is a easier walk.

4. If you are near Dulles, check out the Hazy Center, it is free also, but they do charge for parking. Was $12 in 2006/2007 and there was a McD's in the museum then. If you are downtown and want to check out Hazy, they use to run shuttles from Air and Space on the Mall to Hazy. Not sure if they still do.

5. Check out the Air Force momument if you have time, awesome view of the mall.

6. The Pentagon 9-11 Memorial is breathtaking. Take tissues. Can access it by walking from the AF memorial, Arlinton Cemetary or Metro Yellow or Blue lines.

My son and myself did a tour of DC back in 2005. We took something called Tourmobile. (I think it is run by somebody else now).

For $30 for two days, we rode in air conditioned comfort to all the monuments and a lot of the museums. The bus had designated stops with unlimited on and off.

We started at Union Station the first day, with many stops and worked our way down to Arlington Cemetary.

We started the next day at Arlington Cemetary, and worked our way back up to Union Station.

I remember the American History Museum, the Holocaust Museum (VERY MOVING and thought provoking), the Washington Monument (just outside), a walk by the White House, the WWII Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, and we took a mini tour on a bus through Arlington Cemetary with a visit to Kennedy's gravesite and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

The first day was awesome and the tour worked exactly as it should. However, the 2nd day was VERY hot, and when we got off at one of our stops, we had to wait for about 4 buses to get back on, as folks were just staying on the bus. At that point, we too just stayed on and listened to the narration on the bus.

We were staying at a KOA nearby, (in a Kamping Kabin), but didn't take the shuttle in, we drove the truck to an outlying metro parking lot and took the metro into DC.