• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The four of you, who will remain nameless, Cherie, Dave, Bob, and Bill, have taken a perfectly innocent TR and brought it down to the depths of depravity and vulgarism that is beneath even the four of

I think I can help out here. I'm not real strong in my Russian, but I do believe it translates to "hey, the f*ing dog pooped in the trailer and I'm out of vodka."

Looks like a good option also! Thanks!!

POP QUIZ TIME - Let's test that noodle.

1. How many Civilians died at Gettysburg? No Idea

2. How many fought with the soldiers? No idea

3. Which side did they fight for? No idea

4. Approximately how many shots were fired during the battle? no idea

5. How far away could the cannons be heard on the final day of battle? no idea

6. How many days did the battle last? 3

7. What did the North call the day after the battle? not sure but Gettysburg combined with the victory in Vicksburg, MS is widely considered the turning point of the war

8. What did the South call the Civil War? War between the States and War for Southern Independence

9. What did Lincoln do after Gettysburg and why? Placed Grant in charge of the Union Army because he had just won during the siege at Vicksburg and Meade failed to follow the retreating Southern Army and attempt to finish them off (at least that's what I think I remember from my love of this historical period as a kid)

10. How many pages of notes did I have to take? 6

POP QUIZ TIME - Let's test that noodle.

1. How many Civilians died at Gettysburg?

2. How many fought with the soldiers?

3. Which side did they fight for?

4. Approximately how many shots were fired during the battle?

5. How far away could the cannons be heard on the final day of battle?

6. How many days did the battle last?

7. What did the North call the day after the battle?

8. What did the South call the Civil War?

9. What did Lincoln do after Gettysburg and why?

10. How many pages of notes did I have to take?

1. 1

2. Don’t know but there were a lot of women that followed the Confederate Army that would dress as solders.

3. Both?

4. 7 million...or so

5. Pittsburg??

6. 3

7. The Battle of Gettysburg

8. Maybe "The war between the states" or secession

9. Give a speech to dedicate the cemetary. I think he wanted to fire Meade.

10. too many!

11. PA

I think I know only one, the South called the Civil War, the War Between the States

They did indeed but that's not the one I am looking for. I'm looking for the one that makes me giggle.

I will leave the answer I was looking for, in the first post it appeared and remove the rest... even if technically they are correct.

6. How many days did the battle last? 3

Sorry, #11 is Pennsylvania and it was the south's second incursion into the north.....the first being Antietem....the south called it the Battle of Sharpsburg because it occurred in Sharpsburg, Maryland.

yes and both incursions did not go well for Lee. Although, I am not sure if a winner was declared at Antietam.

I always thought the South called the war " The War of Northern Aggression"

That's the one that makes me giggle. Imagine it said like this "Tha War of Norathan Aggressen". Yes, i can make fun of the Southen Accent as I have one.

1. 1

4. 7 million...or so

6. 3

So far we are a little ovah half way there.....

The ones we still have left -

2. How many fought with the soldiers?

3. Which side did they fight for?

5. How far away could the cannons be heard on the final day of battle?

7. What did the North call the day after the battle?

9. What did Lincoln do after Gettysburg and why?

10. How many pages of notes did I have to take?

I'm not dedicated enough to ever take notes so I'm guessing maybe 4 pages?

The cannon sounds question is discussed whenever we go to a re-encatment though so I've got an idea of the answr to that one. Some people say that the sounds carried for a hundred miles. I doubt that but maybe so. I do know it was heard in both Baltimore and Philadelphia so I guess that could be 50 miles or so. A guide we had when we took a scout troop thru once years ago said the mountains would have stopped the sound to the west & north. Makes sense. I drove the Lincoln Highway from Gettysburg to the PA turnpike entrance there at i70 once when Garmin rebelled and tried to kill me in a foggy rain. It's a pretty drive if you don't mind 25 MPH, no shoulders, few guardrails, and enough runaway truck ramps to make you wonder. Took me by surprise, I never expected that short distance away to be so winding over the mountains. It's right outside of Gettysburg but I can't imagine sound getting too far past that area and the larger mountains past there.

Sometimes during big reenactments you can hear cannons in the distance from Taneytown & Westminster but that's only 30-45 minutes away...

BTW - it's raining. Whatcha doing today??

I'm not dedicated enough to ever take notes so I'm guessing maybe 4 pages?

The cannon sounds question is discussed whenever we go to a re-encatment though so I've got an idea of the answr to that one. Some people say that the sounds carried for a hundred miles. I doubt that but maybe so. I do know it was heard in both Baltimore and Philadelphia so I guess that could be 50 miles or so. A guide we had when we took a scout troop thru once years ago said the mountains would have stopped the sound to the west & north. Makes sense. I drove the Lincoln Highway from Gettysburg to the PA turnpike entrance there at i70 once when Garmin rebelled and tried to kill me in a foggy rain. It's a pretty drive if you don't mind 25 MPH, no shoulders, few guardrails, and enough runaway truck ramps to make you wonder. Took me by surprise, I never expected that short distance away to be so winding over the mountains. It's right outside of Gettysburg but I can't imagine sound getting too far past that area and the larger mountains past there.

Sometimes during big reenactments you can hear cannons in the distance from Taneytown & Westminster but that's only 30-45 minutes away...

BTW - it's raining. Whatcha doing today??

Ok. so i'll give this answer away. It is said that the canons could be heard as far away as the White House... according to our guide.

We are stuck in the trailer. I am waiting on the kids to clean up their toys so they can come back to watch TV/play Wii while I do some quilting..... really, we are trying not to go crazy.

There's a farmer's market at the park downtown on wednesdays - or there was last year. Awesome place for fresh veggies and unique baked goods/preserves at reasonable prices. If you get into town, check it out.

Starla's off tomorrow. We're thinking of driving up for corn & baked goods and then to the pie buffet for lunch if it isn't pouring rain again. Will you be around the CG Wed?

Did you see Mr Ed's Elephant museum yet? Kind of hokey but the candy store is cool!!!!!!!

not yet

There's a farmer's market at the park downtown on wednesdays - or there was last year. Awesome place for fresh veggies and unique baked goods/preserves at reasonable prices. If you get into town, check it out.

Starla's off tomorrow. We're thinking of driving up for corn & baked goods and then to the pie buffet for lunch if it isn't pouring rain again. Will you be around the CG Wed?

May take the kids in to get souvenirs but don't have plans other than that. Hopefully the rain has stopped and I can take the kids out for a swim too. will send you a pm with my contact info.

Last time we went to the Lincoln Train Museum, gift shop out front the museum in the rear forget how much it cost to go in but they have a short movie and some layouts and lots of old trains, I think they have a model also of one of the battles.

Things I Think I Learned At Gettysburg, Pa -

1. Of the entire town of Gettysburg, only one civilian fought in battle. He suffered three injuries while fighting along side the Iron Brigade.

2. Of the over 7 millions shots fired, only one civilian was killed. In her sister's kitchen while cooking, I believe I heard the shot went through two doors before killing Jennie Wade. The house is rumored to be haunted.

3. The Iron brigade, which hailed from the now midwest, lost around 220 men during the first day and another

4. 140 before the end of the battle. Was the last number during Picket's Charge... I can't remember.

5. Although, according to our guide, that though historians would have you believe the battle started over clothing and shoes, it was really the road system that led to location of battle. Both Union and Confederate Generals needed a town to bring their armies back together again and Gettysburg was the place.

6. When visiting the battlefield if you see a statue of a horse with all four hooves on the ground it means that the rider was uninjured, one

hoof means he was injured and two hooves mean he died.

7. Lee lost citizenship for actions during the Civil Wars.

8. There are over fifty miles of fence at the battlefield.

9. Union Soldiers were pushed back into town during the first day.

10. You can see the bullet holes in town bricks.

11. The Seminary was turned into a field hospital.

12. Over 9000 Union soldiers killed, wounded or captured in the first day.

13. Over 6000 Confederate Soldiers killed, wounded, or captured in first day.

14. Gettysburg has a log cabin built in the 1790's.

15. Cattle mow the battlefield today from The Eisenhower's Ranch Stock.

16. Lee buries his dead but

leaves the Union dead to rot in sun.

17. 5000 dead horses

18. It is said, in the weeks that followed, you could smell Gettysburg 10 miles away due to the dead.

19. July 2nd -

The Union Battle Line was three miles long and shaped like a fish hook. The ends of the hook were anchored by hills which Lee attacks on July 2nd.

20. The Union (New Yorkers?) kept Little Round Top Hill by using Bayonet Charges against some Texans.

21. The Wheat field changed hands six times.

22. The names I can remember are -

Valley of Death,

Bloody Run,

Devils Den

23. At Culp's Hill a call came in about 5pm for help at Little Round Top. 8,500 men were sent but instead of heading towards Little Round Top the ended up heading towards Baltimore.

24. Lee now had a 4-1 advantage at Culp's Hill but Sixty Three Year old George Green from New York had his men build log fortifications. This foresight saved him from losing Culp's Hill.

25. No Confederate got closer than 60 yards to the top.

26. Pickets charge

was ordered by Lee himself.

27. Apparently, some of his officers did not like the idea.

28. It took place on Cemetery Ridge.

29. The Confederates had a m

ile of open ground to cover with 152 canons firing on them. Combined the the Confederates Cannons, you could hear them at the White House.

30. 13,000 Confederates walk out of the trees.

31. They have to climb t

wo five foot fences to get into the battle.

32. Union Officers had the soldiers hold their fire until the Confederates had reached the fences.

33. In

50 minutes

5800 confederates were dead and 2500 Union for a total of

8300 dead.

34. 4200 Virginians died in Pickets Charge.

35. Apparently, if I remember correctly, Confederate failures were often named, by the union, after Virginians.

36. The casualty numbers in the battle were incredibly close.

37. There were 9,000 prisoners taken.

38. There are a large amount of monuments placed on the battlefield today.

39. The Pennsylvania State Memorial is the Second Largest Civil War Memorial.

40. There 11 State Confederate Memorials but only 6 Monuments.

41. Our guide said it was really hard to get a Confederate Monument placed on the battlefield.

42. The July 4th following the defeat in Vicksburg, MS and Gettysburg was known to the North as the Glorious 4th of July.

43. Weird Knowledge -

A union officer, Sickles, had his leg pickled and sent the Smithsonian after a cannon ball blew off the lower part of his leg. The Smithsonian didn't quite know what to do with it. So they sent it to Walter Reed.

Thus concludes what "I Think I learned At Gettysburg".....

Due to an unusual unwillingness to take pictures at the Battlefield and circumstances beyond my control, I am unsure if I have many or any pictures to share but didn't want to leave you hanging any longer.

Really, it's Pam's fault. She's been distracting me all week with eronuous claims of boosting my thread count .......

Really, it's Pam's fault. She's been distracting me all week with eronuous claims of boosting my thread count .......

dd11 just said :what2:

I agree with her 100% :what2:

It is now time to share things I think I learned in Gettysburg this week...

1) the shameless rebel's hitch looks bigger than TV and TT combined. Sure is a nice one. After one look I developed a real case of "hitch envy". Bigger has to be better, and so far, Nicki's is best.

2) the imaginary kids do exist - the husband, on the other hand, may not... DD11 claims to have seen him but I suspect it might have been a stolen animatronic connected via phone line to who knows where... maybe mars? :mad-scientist:

3) unless that entire TT is stacked wall to ceiling with clothes, there's no way a certain shameless southern belle could possibly spend all that time every week doing laundry unless she's beating it on a rock in the stream. so...

4) I suspect that's how she's always online boosting her post count. I've often wondered about that, you know... the woman seems to be everywhere at all hours. It just isn't possible. Nobody's that good. Maybe she's getting help from aliens. :tinfoil: maybe she's really animatronic too but an advanced cordless drone type version...

which brings me to the most disturbing of my newest observations about the encounter with southern non-agressionists...

4) Whatever she is, wherever she's from, whether standing or sitting... that rebel is a PIE HATER

yes, that's right folks, you heard it here first. The whole apple pie bribery thing is a sham. There was no pie, not even a crumb from an old tart. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there you have it.

Shameless, did I mention that she's positively shameless yet :rotfl6: or fun to be around... :heart: :stars-shower-smiley:

It is now time to share things I think I learned in Gettysburg this week...

1) the shameless rebel's hitch looks bigger than TV and TT combined. Sure is a nice one. After one look I developed a real case of "hitch envy". Bigger has to be better, and so far, Nicki's is best.

It's also a nice pretty ORANGE color too.... :clint:

2) the imaginary kids do exist - the husband, on the other hand, may not... DD11 claims to have seen him but I suspect it might have been a stolen animatronic connected via phone line to who knows where... maybe mars? :mad-scientist:

he is just a stick figure man drawn on paper..... I already told you that! :rofl3:

3) unless that entire TT is stacked wall to ceiling with clothes, there's no way a certain shameless southern belle could possibly spend all that time every week doing laundry unless she's beating it on a rock in the stream. so...

You just really answered your own statement. The lack of the volume of clothing is why I spend so much time at the Laundry room.

4) I suspect that's how she's always online boosting her post count. I've often wondered about that, you know... the woman seems to be everywhere at all hours. It just isn't possible. Nobody's that good. Maybe she's getting help from aliens. :tinfoil: maybe she's really animatronic too but an advanced cordless drone type version...

hmmmm.... I'll never tell! If I told you then :blowup:

which brings me to the most disturbing of my newest observations about the encounter with southern non-agressionists...

4) Whatever she is, wherever she's from, whether standing or sitting... that rebel is a PIE HATER

yes, that's right folks, you heard it here first. The whole apple pie bribery thing is a sham. There was no pie, not even a crumb from an old tart. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there you have it.

Ok, you have now hit my weak spot. I may have been raised in the south but I am a horrible hostess. :rofl3:

The Stick Figure Husband Man, apologizes because he didn't know we had plans to go to the pie buffet.....

Shameless, did I mention that she's positively shameless yet :rotfl6: or fun to be around... :heart: :stars-shower-smiley:

Are you trying to ruin or increase my appeal to other fiends..... I can't figure it out?

Hey Nicki/Stephanie, or whatever name you are calling yourself now, I am happy to report that I just got caught up on your trip report.

I had fallen behind, so I knew it would take me a while. It did. I was all the way back at Maine, and now I'm not sure where we are.

I enjoyed the quilt fabric and the sunrise over the capitol photo.

I think it's about time for an update, isn't it?

TCD

Hey Nicki/Stephanie, or whatever name you are calling yourself now, I am happy to report that I just got caught up on your trip report.

I had fallen behind, so I knew it would take me a while. It did. I was all the way back at Maine, and now I'm not sure where we are.

I enjoyed the quilt fabric and the sunrise over the capitol photo.

I think it's about time for an update, isn't it?

TCD

Please don't call me stephanie. It means we have legal things to work out. Nicki works just fine.

Let me see what I can whip up for an update... not much going on here.

I thought you had forsaken me.....