I'm jealous.

Spent the majority of my life less than an hour north of Boston, so I've been there a lot. I really, really, miss it.

I need a Boston fix, and soon.

It's a great site seeing town and of course the history is amazing.

Hopefully I can get you some pictures so you can stop jonesing for Boston.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The four of you, who will remain nameless, Cherie, Dave, Bob, and Bill, have taken a perfectly innocent TR and brought it down to the depths of depravity and vulgarism that is beneath even the four of

I think I can help out here. I'm not real strong in my Russian, but I do believe it translates to "hey, the f*ing dog pooped in the trailer and I'm out of vodka."

Looks like a good option also! Thanks!!

Are you traveling back to TN passing thru MD or PA? I know a nice little pie buffet in Thurmont, MD. Close to Gettysburg & Mount Saint Mary's too. Lots of good camping options.

I thought I heard the pres has invited world leaders to camp david sometime this month. Presidents are way too stuck up for restraurants with pie buffets though and they think flying in by chopper to stay at camp david is camping so he shouldn't be in the way...

Are you traveling back to TN passing thru MD or PA? I know a nice little pie buffet in Thurmont, MD. Close to Gettysburg & Mount Saint Mary's too. Lots of good camping options.

We are in jersey for the night. Will eventually be going thru all but Tennesse again.

I thought I heard the pres has invited world leaders to camp david sometime this month. Presidents are way too stuck up for restraurants with pie buffets though and they think flying in by chopper to stay at camp david is camping so he shouldn't be in the way...

Boston tomorrow. Tonight somewhere in the garden state and a visit with Cornfed.

You picked a beautiful weekend to be here in Boston! Where are you planning to visit? Hope you enjoy, there is so much to do!

Sweet. You wouldn't have any of the inside?

Not in my digital files. If I run across any in my hard copies I'll post.

Sadly not long after this picture they were at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach and Dad broke his hip at the age of 81. He could no longer manage the trailer, so they sold it. It was a great one -- all original equipment -- I hope the new owner has enjoyed and respected it.

Mother's Day - The Tale Of Two Visitors Centers, A 3 Mile Hike, And "The Shot Heard Round The World".

We interrupt this TR, AGAIN, for that dreaded of all things -

Pop Quiz - All Googlers will be disqualified!

1. How many other midnight riders where there?
  2. What were their names?
  3. How many candles where put in the church steeple?
  4. Why is the name of the park "Minuteman National Park"?
  5. Whose ancestral home is located just yards from where the "Shot Heard Round the World" was fired?
  6. What other famous person also inhabited said house?
  7. Where were the British marching and why?
  8. Who was the famous engraver who did plates of the battle?
  9. How many British soldiers are buried at the North Bridge?
  10. What was the Captain's name who lived on the Battle Road?
  11. Why does my DH plan a three mile hike on Mother's Day?

I thus promise to hold off on updating long enough for one cranky bus driver to answer the above questions. Should he be unable to answer at least half, without the help of the internet, then he looses his "I love Boston" cred!

There was an airsteam overnighting in the lot at walmart in Westminster, MD today. I had to resist the temptation to go knock on the door. My parents were in the van or I would have gone visiting. Wouldn't have been the first time I fiended at walmart either.

You are still in Boston aren't you??

5. Whose ancestral home is located just yards from where the "Shot Heard Round the World" was fired?

I thus promise to hold off on updating long enough for one cranky bus driver to answer the above questions. Should he be unable to answer at least half, without the help of the internet, then he looses his "I love Boston" cred!

1. 3-25 depending on which history book you read, we only remember the one because of Longfellows poem

2. I can barely remember my own name most of the time.

3. Two

4. Because the first skirmish that lead up to the Revolution happened there

5. One of the famous poets

6. Who ever the famous poets family sold it to

7. Concord, and they marched because there were no trucks or busses back then. Okay it was to collect the illegal arms stash there.

8. Not a clue

9. All the dead ones

10. No clue x 2

11. Because he wanted to do the minuteman waling tour of Boston and he has to work during the week

Seeing how I am originally from the real part of the state (Western Mass, Ludlow to be more specific) can I keep my Masshole card?

There was an airsteam overnighting in the lot at walmart in Westminster, MD today. I had to resist the temptation to go knock on the door. My parents were in the van or I would have gone visiting. Wouldn't have been the first time I fiended at walmart either.

You are still in Boston aren't you??

will be until Saturday.

1. 3-25 depending on which history book you read, we only remember the one because of Longfellows poem

2. I can barely remember my own name most of the time.

3. Two

4. Because the first skirmish that lead up to the Revolution happened there

5. One of the famous poets

6. Who ever the famous poets family sold it to

7. Concord, and they marched because there were no trucks or busses back then. Okay it was to collect the illegal arms stash there.

8. Not a clue

9. All the dead ones

10. No clue x 2

11. Because he wanted to do the minuteman waling tour of Boston and he has to work during the week

Seeing how I am originally from the real part of the state (Western Mass, Ludlow to be more specific) can I keep my Masshole card?

You didn't get half of them right but you get great points for originality and making me laugh before I've had my coffee, so you get to keep the western part of your Masshole card.

The cranky bus driver has only a 9th grade academic public school education so he's dumber than a box of rocks.

And as he doesn't read TRs, he doesn't know that there is a quiz.

He does know that it was more than Paul Revere. William Dawes is the second most mentioned, but there was another.

Candles, they weren't candles, they were lanterns and there were two.

The Minute Man Nat'l Park is called that because that's where the first Revolutionary War battle took place and it was fought by the Minute Men.

Paul Revere was a Silversmith, he's famous and I guess there was some engraving involved.

Your DH plans those hikes so that you don't write dumb quizzes.

That's all I got.

Mother's Day - The Tale Of Two Visitors Centers, A 3 Mile Hike, And "The Shot Heard Round The World".

I accually think I know a few of these!

1.3 that we know their names...15-40 unnamed

2.Revere, Dawes and Prescott

3. 2

4. No clue

5. Emerson

6. Hawthorne

7. To some bridge..I think!

8. Revere?

9. ??

10. ??

11. Hope at least someone cooked breakfast for you!

The cranky bus driver has only a 9th grade academic public school education so he's dumber than a box of rocks.

And as he doesn't read TRs, he doesn't know that there is a quiz.

He does know that it was more than Paul Revere. William Dawes is the second most mentioned, but there was another.

Candles, they weren't candles, they were lanterns and there were two.

The Minute Man Nat'l Park is called that because that's where the first Revolutionary War battle took place and it was fought by the Minute Men.

Paul Revere was a Silversmith, he's famous and I guess there was some engraving involved.

Your DH plans those hikes so that you don't write dumb quizzes.

That's all I got.

You, my most favorite crank pot, are very smart for only having a 9th grade academic edumacation

You do indeed get to keep you Boston Cred!

Thank goodness Lou answered already. It's too early in the morning for a pop quiz!!

Chicken :whew:

I accually think I know a few of these!

1.3 that we know their names...15-40 unnamed

2.Revere, Dawes and Prescott

3. 2

4. No clue

5. Emerson

6. Hawthorne

7. To some bridge..I think!

8. Revere?

9. ??

10. ??

11. Hope at least someone cooked breakfast for you!

very good! Not all but a good many. You have just earned your Boston Cred.

10. Crunch.

All I can say to this is... boy am I glad I didn't have a mouthful of food or drink as I'd be trying to resuscitate my computer right now.

Shall we move on with the update or wait to see what others come up with?

You, my most favorite crank pot, are very smart for only having a 9th grade academic edumacation

You do indeed get to keep you Boston Cred!

Chicken :whew:

very good! Not all but a good many. You have just earned your Boston Cred.

All I can say to this is... boy am I glad I didn't have a mouthful of food or drink as I'd be trying to resuscitate my computer right now.

Shall we move on with the update or wait to see what others come up with?

I can come up with more smartass answers unless you want to post another update.

Your choice.

1. How many other midnight riders where there? (I was looking for the three famous but I was schooled with the truth..ouch! :rofl2: )
  2. What were their names? (Revere, Dawes and Prescott)
  3. How many candles where put in the church steeple? (Trick Question - Crank Pot got it right it was lanterns not candles)
  4. Why is the name of the park "Minuteman National Park"? (Minutemen were members of the Militia who were expected to be ready for action at a minute's notice)
  5. Whose ancestral home is located just yards from where the "Shot Heard Round the World" was fired? (Emerson - who coined the phrase "The Shot heard Round the World" in the Concord Hymn)
  6. What other famous person also inhabited said house? (Nathaniel Hawthorne)
  7. Where were the British marching and why? (Concord to find/destroy/recover munitions, guns, and cannons.)
  8. Who was the famous engraver who did plates of the battle? (Amos Doolittle)
  9. How many British soldiers are buried at the North Bridge? (Two although the Battle Road has several markers for British troops)
  10. What was the Captain's name who lived on the Battle Road? (Prosaically enough, Captain William Smith)

Because he wanted to do the minuteman waling tour of Boston and he has to work during the week (Bravo)

Your DH plans those hikes so that you don't write dumb quizzes. (As he doesn't have to take those quizes, he doesn't care much about them.)

Hope at least someone cooked breakfast for you! (Sadly, breakfast was a mini cold bagel and a cheese stick on the way to the North Bridge Visitor's Center but he did take me out for linner at Olive Garden)

Now we return to our regularly scheduled update -

Here's some filler material to add to my Boston and Lexington Cred

I worked about 15 minutes away from Lexington for about 10 years.

One of my co-workers owned the General Sam Chandler house located near the Lexington Green. It's now in the National Historic Register.

My port of entry when I migrated to the US was Boston.

My son was married and had his wedding reception aboard a yacht in Boston Harbor.

I watched Ted Williams play at Fenway Park.

DSC_0097.JPG

The North Bridge Visitors Center & Gardens -

DSC_0072.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

The North Bridge -

DSC_0101.JPG

The Minuteman Statue -

DSC_0082.jpg

The first verse of the Concord Hymn as written by Emerson. At the dedication of the monument, another soon to be famous child sang in the choir that performed the hymn - HDT.

DSC_0083.jpg

The Grave Of The Two British Soldiers -

DSC_0086.JPG

The Old Manse - (Emerson's Ancestral Home)

DSC_0094.JPG

The Hartwell Tavern that is on The Battle Road and home to more than a few of those rebellous colonists-

DSC_0108.JPG

Captain Smith's House

DSC_0113.JPG

The Marker at the Sight of Paul Revere's Capture -

DSC_0115.jpg

The Marker telling us that we had been on the Battle Road for the last mile...

DSC_0118.jpg

Things I noticed or loved -

The gardens are spectacular at the North Bridge Visitors Center.

It is like stepping into the footsteps of history.

The type of gravel and sand they use on the Battle Road, if you have enough people walking with or near you, brings to mind the sound of marching feet. If you open your imagination just a bit you can hear that column of Brits marching toward Concord in your mind.

I could almost see those British Soldiers, in their Redcoats, trying to get to safety. Walking or running down the road they'd just traveled earlier in the day and not knowing from which tree or boulder the next shot would be fired from. Being sent into the woods, in small groups, to find the source of the shots and knowing that most who had done so had not returned.