That Big Rock in Atlanta

Grew up a huge Braves fan, watching them several times a week on WTBS....starting back when they had the horrible teams in the baby blue uniforms and Dale Murphy was pretty much the only good player on America's Team!

Same here!! Ballgame, then Dinner and a Movie on TBS on Friday nights!!! Fun!!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And look at the Mayor, looking all slim and trim.

Oh, and Doodle, I honestly didn't realize about the bad picture of you. And since I'm an equal opportunity picture poster, I'll post this lovely ditty Rick took when I got home

this is Carols report, I am just adding some extras like this one...........

That is a big rock.

So is this all right there by the campground? Or do you have to drive there?

TCD

The park is not walking distance from the campground. You can drive, or there are shuttles from the hotels and campground, and I think there is a boat over there also. If you have a street legal golf cart, you can use that as the speed limits are 30MPH or less.

.Now I'm wandering through the park itself. This is an old style park where you don't have to have admission to enter, but do need admission for the attractions. You can get an adventure pass that covers everything, and the campers and hotel guests, can buy 1-day, get the 2nd day free. You can purchase a separate admission for the skylift, train, and perhaps a couple of other attractions.

IMG_9973.jpg

This looked neat. It was a ropes course. You are in a harness and a rope runs through a track above you.

IMG_9976.jpg

IMG_9975.jpg

Brittany (Kelly's daughter) will attest that you might want to wear gloves. She slipped and was hanging on her rope and got a rope burn on her hand.

IMG_9977.jpg

IMG_9978.jpg

IMG_9980.jpg

IMG_9982.jpg

IMG_9983.jpg

IMG_9984.jpg

This was in the same style as all of the 3Ds at Disney. The seats shook, good 3D, and they sprayed water at you every chance they got.

IMG_9986.jpg

IMG_9987.jpg

Coming next, I took the train ride around the Rock!

IMG_9989.jpg

Carol, I think your pictures of the rock were good. I am terrified of heights (go figure) and just looking at your photos made me nauseous. :wacko:

The little amusement park looks like fun though!

Carol, I think your pictures of the rock were good. I am terrified of heights (go figure) and just looking at your photos made me nauseous. :wacko:

The little amusement park looks like fun though!

LOL I totally agree.

It sure does look pretty. All I could think though was, the ride up might feel smooth & steady, but the fall back down would too - until you hit granite! :panic: That'd take me a whole lot of punch... :laugh:

Great pictures of the park, Carol!! I saw a little bit of it when we all went to the Laser Show. Next year I will do a little more exploring, but only if it's cooler. I may need to enlist your help to talk Mike into the Sky ride though. Heights are not his favorite.

I don't want to show how old I am, but the last time I was at Stone Mountain none of this stuff was there except the carving of the losers from the Civil War and the steam train.

Carol,

Could you get into places likethe glass company to watch the glass blowing without paying admission? I'm always trying to find out what we can do within our budget. ;)

Yes Marty, you can. There are several shops including the glass place that anyone can walk into. You can walk the grounds, and you can watch the laser show at night without any tickets. You can hike up the mountain too if you like...just can't ride the skytram thingy.

Yes Marty, you can. There are several shops including the glass place that anyone can walk into. You can walk the grounds, and you can watch the laser show at night without any tickets. You can hike up the mountain too if you like...just can't ride the skytram thingy.

Alright then! maybe if I make it to SMGG 2013, you and I can grab some kids and hike up that rock!

I want a Kim and Judy photo bomb on every trip!!

I promise a photo bomb anytime I am at a GG.

We will be happy to ablige :P

ditto

yup, this is the one!!IMG_9870.jpg

Yep, that's the one..

Lawdy, I look like a lobster..lol

And a lovely lobster you are dear. ;D :heart:

Hay Genia!!! Like there is some other Big Time South Carolina College Team?

Luv Ya! :)

:rofl2: good one H. One of the reasons I married ya.

Next year I want to hike up the mountain. We saw the base of the trail from the train ride. Doesn't look like a bad hike. As long as it's not 95 degrees.

You think it doesn't look like a bad hike? I saw it from the top. It looks much different from up there! LOL!