Fortless- A TCD Trip Report with a twist.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Andrew, I think. Seriously, I appreciate it. Unfortunately you've never been a guest that I've interacted with while being a CM. I take being a WDW CM very seriously. Guests expect a lot form u

Oh no! Christ is coming?? He must not have got the warning about Gay Days from the last banner! He best be careful or he might get some "gay" on him. What a bunch of dipsh*ts. But your report is gre

When is Christ returning? "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." Matt. 24:36 How to "Be prepared?" First acknowledge that you

Wow Art of Animation sure is the new crown jewel!

I would add a qualifier. I'd call it the crown jewel of the themed/value resorts.

I've discovered over the years that not everyone is into heavy Disney theming, and DAAR certainly is that.

Art of Animation looks beautiful!

That would be in the eye of the beholder.

It's different, bold, fun, and visually overwhelming.

If someone wants Disney overload, that's the place to stay.

If I had young kids, great place, but if you feel that you need a break from the Disney stuff because you've been saturated at the parks, there are better options.

TCD, as for the buses exiting the back way through Pop, it's because, as I indicated on the DAAR thread during bus driver orientation, the exit road is flawed and won't be used until the flaws are worked out.

Exiting through Pop is not an indicator that DARR will share buses with Pop.

DAAR and Pop have separate bus stops at all the hubs, so sharing would be a problem just for that reason alone.

They could share when picking up at the two resorts during really slow times of the day.

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

There is just something that I need to get off my chest.... Now I'm no more predjudice than the next guy, but Disney needs to get these guys off the "front line" here... I mean come on, when I think of sushi, I want to see a couple of Asian guys out there speaking broken english serving up this stuff... This is like having a couple of backwoods rednecks twirling the flaming torches at the Polynesian dinner show, or going to a fancy chinese restaurant and seeing a couple of Mexican guys back in the kitchen cooking up a batch of fried rice... Perceptions I say! If Walt were still alive, I bet he wouldn't put up with this stuff! :rofl3:

Duane, there's a lot to be said about your comment. It does create an authenticity and experience. They do that at Epcot and Kimono's, why not at Poly? I was at a Japanese Steakhouse in Long Island once and the chef that was twirling the knife and throwing shrimp tails into his hat and pocket, and making the volcano out of onion, did a great job. He was from El Salvador, the food tasted just like the Japanese guy at the next table makes it, but the spanish accent was almost awkward.

I sat in those same seats at Poly in January, holy extra zeros on the bill. Cost more than the site at the Fort.

I have mentioned before that I have in the past considered not bothering with my camera and writing trip reports. But every time we go there is something interesting that I have to share.

I always think of the wonderful memories you are capturing for your self and your children (and eventually grandchildren) for years to come.

Which reminds me of a point I wanted to make.

Who is more badassed than the Scotch?

For God's sake, they eat sheep stomachs and throw giant logs!

True, the dudes wear skirts and play the bagpipe.

But, they are still badassed in my book.

Scottish men are the only ones manly enough to wear kilts.

Also, the only good thing i can think to say about BBQ eel is that it means the eel is dead. Eels look like snakes. There is emnity between me and snakes. It's Biblical.

I just caught up with this TR! Love all the info and pics!

I guess I have become jaded by my workplace. I knew what HAAM was and at this point it doesn't even shock me. I'm just glad when it's used as the acronym instead of the words! :)

It's funny how our kids do not appreciate our "coolness!" I looked at some old pictures recently and my Mama and Daddy were in one with my cousin at graduation. They were so "old and uncool" at that time in my life. She graduated in 79. Sadly, I realized that they were only 45 & 46 in that picture. I will be 50 in a month or so. I don't know why they were so old and out of touch at such a young age, while I am so hip, cool and youngish at 50! :lmao1:

I love Phil!

Thanks.

I haven't left yet, but I am about to.

Maybe when I get back we can talk about me adopting you. Maybe if you curled your hair, I could have the TCD triplets.

That way, I would have someone to second my motion when we vote for where to go to dinner.

Think about it.

TCD

Ok, I've thought about it, I'm in!! I'm changing my name to Twin #3. :jumpforjoy

BTW, I already have curly hair, that's why it's always tied up. Otherwise I tend to look like Medusa.

Ok, I've thought about it, I'm in!! I'm changing my name to Twin #3. :jumpforjoy

BTW, I already have curly hair, that's why it's always tied up. Otherwise I tend to look like Medusa.

Doesn't that make you triplet #3. Let those curls loose woman... as you can see your new sisters always do. By the way, you need to let it grow WAY out too.

I totally get you on the confusing labels for the resorts. Is an AoA suite really a value at $275? And why is a cabin a moderate at a similar price?

I do remember when we booked our cabin and I was thinking "I could get a room at WL or the Garden Wing of CR for this price". But I think that's the difference. It would have only been a room. I wonder what a 1-bedroom suite would go for at WL or CR?

Still, though, the cabins are moderate? I think they just didn't know where to put them. The biggest advantages the cabins will STILL have though is that you park your car right outside your door and really have your own space. You aren't sharing a wall with anyone, and there are no flights of stairs or elevators. You also get a nice deck to sit out on.

We will definitely be making the trip across the bridge this summer to check it out! I want DD to really like Pop, though, so we might leave that until our last day. :rofl3:

The cars part of AOA looks really fun. Funny side note on all the red shirts. In the 90's we were at MK and my grandma was with us. Well her favorite color is red. So she had on a red shirt but none of us knew there was a special red shirt day going on that day but there was. All we kept saying is why is everybody wearing red, then we would tell our grandma, guess your in style today. We found out the next day what the red shirts were about and had a good laugh.

Of the three value resorts, rates are highest at DAAR, but they're where they should be in order to be classified as a value resort.

The lowest rate is $915 for a suite at the WL.

Exactly - you have to compare apples-to-apples, if you will. So a 1-bedroom suite at DAAR is $275, while at WL it is $915. I did notice the rates were higher for the LM rooms than the Pop rooms. But I also notice the Pop rooms are slightly higher than the All Stars rooms - not by much, but a tick.

not to mention a bigger tow vehicle to haul them all to the Fort...

Maybe he can get a big van like Dave's

Man! It's now 11:08 here in sunny Nawth Carolina... I have managed to waste, become engrossed with reading this trip report. Now what am I supposed to do for the remainder of the day? Work?!

Have a great weekend and a safe trip!

Sorry, Dwayne.

But, I'm about to get this cranked back up.

Stef, I agree with you on the food! I've tasted escargot, but no more creepy crawlies for me!

Duane, it's 11:15 here in W-S. It's 80 but feels like it's 90 outside. Looks like it's gonna be a nice weekend.

For what it's worth, if I had to pick, I would choose eel over snails.

But, I would choose fried chicken over both of those.

Don't worry about trying the eel. It's not worth it for sure.

TCD, as for the buses exiting the back way through Pop, it's because, as I indicated on the DAAR thread during bus driver orientation, the exit road is flawed and won't be used until the flaws are worked out.

Exiting through Pop is not an indicator that DARR will share buses with Pop.

DAAR and Pop have separate bus stops at all the hubs, so sharing would be a problem just for that reason alone.

They could share when picking up at the two resorts during really slow times of the day.

I remember that now that you mention it.

I guess my point was that they could share buses. But, I agree with you that it is unlikely that they will be sharing buses for the immediate future. It is clear to me that they have turned everything up a notch at the AoA. For the prices they are charging, they have to provide those guests with something more than the typical value resort treatment. I have my doubts whether this concept is ultimately going to fly.

I am with stef too. Eel sounds yuck. Tuna looks like a tongue. Now where is that hijack?

It looks like there was no hijack.

This place is slipping.

Um, I would have voted GAG but alas.....it is what it is.

Yes, I agree. It is what it is.

That is such a useless saying.

But, it is what it is.

I don't know what you guys are talking about.....I think the chick in the blue shirt and flip flops is kinda cute. :bugeyes:

LOL!

Good one!

Dude looks like a lady?

There is just something that I need to get off my chest.... Now I'm no more predjudice than the next guy, but Disney needs to get these guys off the "front line" here... I mean come on, when I think of sushi, I want to see a couple of Asian guys out there speaking broken english serving up this stuff... This is like having a couple of backwoods rednecks twirling the flaming torches at the Polynesian dinner show, or going to a fancy chinese restaurant and seeing a couple of Mexican guys back in the kitchen cooking up a batch of fried rice... Perceptions I say! If Walt were still alive, I bet he wouldn't put up with this stuff! :rofl3:

I hear you.

But, they can probably get away with paying these guys a lot less than the real thing.

It is what it is.

Duane, there's a lot to be said about your comment. It does create an authenticity and experience. They do that at Epcot and Kimono's, why not at Poly? I was at a Japanese Steakhouse in Long Island once and the chef that was twirling the knife and throwing shrimp tails into his hat and pocket, and making the volcano out of onion, did a great job. He was from El Salvador, the food tasted just like the Japanese guy at the next table makes it, but the spanish accent was almost awkward.

I sat in those same seats at Poly in January, holy extra zeros on the bill. Cost more than the site at the Fort.

Yes, you have to watch it at the sushi bar. But, if you lay off the drinks, it isn't too much more than a quick serve.

I haven't been to the Contemporary Resort sushi bar, but I hear that their prices are a lot higher than the prices here.

I always think of the wonderful memories you are capturing for your self and your children (and eventually grandchildren) for years to come.Scottish men are the only ones manly enough to wear kilts.

Also, the only good thing i can think to say about BBQ eel is that it means the eel is dead. Eels look like snakes. There is emnity between me and snakes. It's Biblical.

Can't argue with that logic!

I just caught up on this TR...while sitting in front of the Meadows Trading Post.

Woo hoo!

That calls for a great big WOO HOO!!!

I hope you're having a great trip.

TCD

I just caught up with this TR! Love all the info and pics!

I guess I have become jaded by my workplace. I knew what HAAM was and at this point it doesn't even shock me. I'm just glad when it's used as the acronym instead of the words! :)

It's funny how our kids do not appreciate our "coolness!" I looked at some old pictures recently and my Mama and Daddy were in one with my cousin at graduation. They were so "old and uncool" at that time in my life. She graduated in 79. Sadly, I realized that they were only 45 & 46 in that picture. I will be 50 in a month or so. I don't know why they were so old and out of touch at such a young age, while I am so hip, cool and youngish at 50! :lmao1:

I love Phil!

Rita-

I am glad to see a post from you!

I know what you mean about "old" being relative. My parents were around the age I am now when Mrs. TCD and I got married 25 years ago. I don't feel "old," but to me they were definitely "old" when I got married.

OK, then I am going to work on the adoption paperwork.

I guess that will make Trevor my son-in-law, and Tow Nater my grandson.

Please keep that hair tied up.

Doesn't that make you triplet #3. Let those curls loose woman... as you can see your new sisters always do. By the way, you need to let it grow WAY out too.

I like Twin #3 better than Triplet #3.

That's fine....I was going for adopted son.....so here's to yeah sister! :thewave1:

I will put you on the waiting list.

Three twins are probably about all I can handle at the moment.

I totally get you on the confusing labels for the resorts. Is an AoA suite really a value at $275? And why is a cabin a moderate at a similar price?

I do remember when we booked our cabin and I was thinking "I could get a room at WL or the Garden Wing of CR for this price". But I think that's the difference. It would have only been a room. I wonder what a 1-bedroom suite would go for at WL or CR?

Still, though, the cabins are moderate? I think they just didn't know where to put them. The biggest advantages the cabins will STILL have though is that you park your car right outside your door and really have your own space. You aren't sharing a wall with anyone, and there are no flights of stairs or elevators. You also get a nice deck to sit out on.

We will definitely be making the trip across the bridge this summer to check it out! I want DD to really like Pop, though, so we might leave that until our last day. :rofl3:

I agree, there are definite plusses to having a cabin. But, there are minuses too. The pool, food options, and transportation are all way better at AoA.

I think that is a very smart move to save the AoA visit for the last day. Pop is a great place, and I know your DD will love it. But, AoA really does blow Pop away. I think that is why they have that Nemo pool fenced off. Pool hopping is going to be a problem.

TCD you are going to need a bigger popup to fit all these kids you're adopting...

I know.

I had to start a waiting list.

The cars part of AOA looks really fun. Funny side note on all the red shirts. In the 90's we were at MK and my grandma was with us. Well her favorite color is red. So she had on a red shirt but none of us knew there was a special red shirt day going on that day but there was. All we kept saying is why is everybody wearing red, then we would tell our grandma, guess your in style today. We found out the next day what the red shirts were about and had a good laugh.

That's a funny story. Based on what I saw, I think most guests did not know a thing about Gay Days going on that weekend. I didn't see anything that was a real problem. Except for the crowds it caused when the participants visited a certain park.

Exactly - you have to compare apples-to-apples, if you will. So a 1-bedroom suite at DAAR is $275, while at WL it is $915. I did notice the rates were higher for the LM rooms than the Pop rooms. But I also notice the Pop rooms are slightly higher than the All Stars rooms - not by much, but a tick.

I don't think that is an apples to apples comparison. I would say that an AoA suite would be more comparable to a one bedroom DVC room, or to a cabin. That puts the price about right. But, I will be really surprised if this concept works. Once you start talking about dropping $275 on a room, you have to think about whether or not it is worth the extra cost.

TCD

I don't think that is an apples to apples comparison. I would say that an AoA suite would be more comparable to a one bedroom DVC room, or to a cabin. That puts the price about right. But, I will be really surprised if this concept works. Once you start talking about dropping $275 on a room, you have to think about whether or not it is worth the extra cost.

TCD

I really don't think it's a direct comparison to a 1 BR DVC unit. A 1BR DVC unit has a full kitchen, a jacuzzi tub in the master bath, and a washer/dryer. Although 1BR DVC units normally only sleep 4 (maybe 5).

I am just not impressed with the Value Suites, especially now that they are putting fridges in the regular value rooms. Two connecting value rooms get you two bathrooms, two fridges, and beds for 8 at a lower cost. With the value suites you gain a microwave, and a queen size bed in the "master", but you lose the separate entrance to the "adult" room, so if you have to leave the room, you walk through the kids sleeping area to enter/exit, potentially disturbing them. You also only can sleep 6 instead of 8. The layout just doesn't work for me.

I feel the same way about the cabins and the 1BR DVC units, the layout and the price is just high to have folks sleeping in the "Living Area"