This is NOT a Trip Report - May 27 - June 9, 2012

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got that right Aaron. I didn't fall for the "this is not a TR" title anyway. Other's have tried to trick me into reading TRs, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

TRs I don't read, but synopsis, I just might.

According to the Offical Fort Fiends Handbook, you are not allowed to abandon a Trip Report without fair warning. I realize you have claimed this isn't a trip report, so maybe you found a loophole the

Brent, sorry you're sick again! Hope you get better before you're next trip.

Guess what? We're expecting more storms & more rain. :beathorse:

I will try to get rid of it before you get back. ^-^

Looking forward to hearing about your dip in the lake!

Sorry you are sick.

More rain? Is someone planning on kidnapping me and bringing me camping to the Fort?

Because I would totally be up for something fun like that. :D

Can't wait to read the next installment of your not a trip report report.

You know that whole bacteria thing...I know it's real b/c I know it has hurt people (in other lakes that I know of). However, I have watched a triathalon at the fort and they do the swim part in the lake. In the shallow part. They just run down the beach and jump in. That was in May, so a very hot time of year. The night before, they were doing the troll around the lake with the lights to look for gators. They can see their eyes with the lights. So apparently there are gators and bacteria in that lake. But I guess there are gators and bacteria in every lake. Don't really know where I am going with all this...

You know that whole bacteria thing...I know it's real b/c I know it has hurt people (in other lakes that I know of). However, I have watched a triathalon at the fort and they do the swim part in the lake. In the shallow part. They just run down the beach and jump in. That was in May, so a very hot time of year. The night before, they were doing the troll around the lake with the lights to look for gators. They can see their eyes with the lights. So apparently there are gators and bacteria in that lake. But I guess there are gators and bacteria in every lake. Don't really know where I am going with all this...

I could be wrong, but I think your point is that Bay Lake is no different from any other lake in Florida.

Here's a photo from a couple of years ago (2009) showing a bunch of ladies swimming in Bay Lake:

FW595102009336.jpg

I know of two county parks over where I live which used to allow swimming in a lake. The swimming areas of both of those parks were closed about the same time Disney stopped letting people swim in Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon.

It has to be a liability thing. One dead guest would amount to a very big claim.

TCD

:rofl2: To add to Brandy's confusion....

Brandy, don't worry about the bacteria in the lake, they all have them. And yes, they all have gators too.

The way I see it is:

If you end up being a gators lunch, there's no need to worry about the brain eating amoebas.

If you get a brain eating amoeba, a gator would leave you alone because you would probably smell like rancid meat.

Win, Win! :))

Brent, see what happens when you abandon a report?

I'm still going with little tin foil hats (see what those girls have on their heads?), special shots, signing their lives away, or no idea.

I'd like to think that the special shots were also jello shots.

Day 5 - Thursday (#1)

So, sorry it took a while to get this next update out. I was err, editing photos. You know, speedo shots and all. I had to remove that section so that Stef wouldn't get too excited.

Sadly, there was one photo from Typhoon Lagoon that a Photo Pass photog took. After seeing it, I have filed it away as "Use this as gym motivation."

Also, if there's one thing I'm proud of, it's that I got hijacked. That's my first official hijack and I love it. Honestly, though, Otis Redding? That's even a little before my time.

Also also, this is a good time to talk about something. Something different. Something I've read very little about here on FF.net.

A friend of mine is a Disney Travel Agent. You know the sort. The ones that have to try everything. I like those people. That usually means I get to try things I've never done for free or reduced cost. In this case it was WDW's new Photopass Plus. Essentially, you prepay and you get the CD of photos, downloads, etc. You also get any and all ride photos from your trip. So, we all kicked in $10 or so and got every photo from every ride. It was neat. It was also a little time consuming. They tell you that you can you just get that paper with the photo number on it and add it to your account at home. From first hand experience, that is definitely not the case. You have to wait in line and have it added to a special photo pass plus card at the attraction. So yeah, we got some "great" photos like these.

600197_10151167407289619_1243838588_n.jpg

Yes, I was looking the wrong way. I'm used to riding the Fast Pass side. Lets move on. I'm not as cool as the TCD Twins. Admitted.

So. Where were we? We were all reading CKCK's trip report. Looking at pictures of his precious little girls. With pony tails and all. Yep, none of that here. No cute kids. I didn't even have a dog or anything at the Fort to entice you with. I hope I can at least run a close second to his fantastic TR.

So, here we are, Thursday morning. I was feeling better and it was time to check out of All Star Sports. I was ready. I was going to the Fort. I was also a little sad. The All Stars really served their purpose well. And it had rained all week. My room was nice and dry. OK, so maybe not sad.

I loaded my small bag into the car (that was stuffed with everything but the kitchen sink - that was coming later in a Jetta) and headed off to the Fort. I had all sorts of plans. ALL SORTS. They mostly involved getting my hair cut, running to Wal-Mart, etc. Well, somewhere between All Star and World Drive, I decided to just say "screw it" and do what I wanted. I turned left at the light and hit World Drive. About this time I formulated a plan. I'd go ahead and check-in and text the camper rental guy, Matt, the site number. I knew he wouldn't be by until later afternoon. Then I'd leave the car in the shade and head over to meet some friends at Animal Kingdom. Eat there, then come back to the Fort. It was a gorgeous day. I wasn't going to waste it in a Wal-Mart. That could come later.

Soon enough I saw this.

601036_612262933475_1588971065_n.jpg

525964_612259530295_751431059_n.jpg

533334_612260767815_1432514568_n.jpg

When I pulled up to the security guard, it was a new one. She was full of jokes. That was nice. She reminded me of Niecy Nash in Reno911. She asked if I was in a cabin or campsite. I told her campsite. She said, "Did you use online check-in?" I said, "No." She said, "Then you need to go inside the outpost to check-in."

Umm, what? Why?

Well, I still don't understand that, but I didn't want to argue with Niecy and her "Mmmmmm-kay's", so I went over to the outpost, followed all of the crazy signs due to construction and went inside to check-in.

This exit sign did not belong.

269231_612262105135_1810296578_n.jpg

When I got inside there was, of course, someone in there arguing about the DDP. You know, they should get a refund because it wasn't possible to use all of their meals or something like that. She almost made this not-a-trip-report.

Now, let me just tell you. There was a LOT of that at the All Stars. A LOT. Everyone was upset about something. Something that was written in stone and clear, but they didn't bother reading. Something that they claim ruined their trip, yet a few hours of trip planning beforehand would have eliminated the issue. I had already had about all I could take of that. It's VACATION, people. Enjoy yourself. Leave your poopy pants at home. And don't corner me on a bus and complain to me about things. You won't like my response. The bus driver may have, but you will not. Don't try to ruin my vacation because you're ignorant. Moving on.

The concierge saw the look on my face and offered to help me. She had clearly had enough by that point, too, but was kind enough to check me in. Even if it did seem like I was asking her to tow the camper back to my site…. on her back.

But I digress.

See, this is where it all went south. In my mind it was 10am, the site wouldn't be ready. I'd just handle the paperwork and be on my way. Except that I was wrong. The site was ready. She tip-a-tapped on her ancient computer and I was all set. Site 2039. I was in shock, I think, that this was happening now. I had camper delivery scheduled for 3pm. It was 10am. It didn't really matter, but it threw me for a loop. So, instead of realizing - wait, I've been in 2039 before. No ma'am. I need a redo. Or I'll pay to upgrade. Or… something. No, instead I said, "OK, thanks for all your help. I hope your day gets better." And I was off.

Check-in Fail.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the steps to the outpost were closed. They were doing some sort of work. There was a manager CM there guarding that area making sure I couldn't get a photo of it and the jackhammering that was going on. I snapped one from the parking lot, though. Take that fake smile Fort Manager.

179945_612260792765_399394841_n.jpg

So, I sat for a minute and made a decision. And, it turns out, it was a bad one. I'd go check out the site. Make sure it was the one I thought it was and that it wasn't horrible and then I'd go meet some friends for a bite in AK. I'd leave the car at the site, in the shade, so my deodorant wouldn't melt. Don't laugh. I speak from experience in that specific deodorant melting department.

I got to the 2000 loop, checked out the site. Here it is.

551752_612260947455_1857514156_n.jpg

Nothing exciting to see. It actually was right next to the one I thought it was, so still same location. Meh. Close enough to the comfort station, but really close to everyone else and no bushes or anything.

So, I walked (a really long way) to the bus stop and waited for the outpost bus. That's where I saw this.

484326_612259455445_2124252888_n.jpg

Any idea what it is? At first I thought a camera, but I'm not so sure. Then maybe I thought it was a photocell or whatever you call the things that turn the lights on at dusk, off at dawn.

OK, that's all for this update. I'm off to dinner to discuss next week's trip and make final arrangements.

Oh, and lesson learned. DON'T MAKE A PLAN. If you don't make a plan, then when something happens, it won't throw you off your game, you won't end up in the 2000 loop, etc.

Great update, Brent. It was worth the wait. I'm not very patient though so let's not make a habit out of this, ok?

i am very no plan making fly by the seat of my pant-Pro. Sometimes it works and sometimes it works even better. :))

Now I will wait patiently (ya, right) for the next update. I sure hope you deodorant didn't melt by the way!

So. Where were we? We were all reading CKCK's trip report. Looking at pictures of his precious little girls. With pony tails and all. Yep, none of that here. No cute kids. I didn't even have a dog or anything at the Fort to entice you with. I hope I can at least run a close second to his fantastic TR.

You're making me blush.

The thing is, I had two secret weapons. If my TR started heading south all I had to do was flash a quick pic of one of the red heads and I was back on my game.

You're rocking out a fantastic TR (finally...) with no secret weapons.

Score for you.

Woo hoo!

Brent this is the best non TR I've read. I'm living through on this one because I've always wanted to take a long solo vacation. Anyways great job.

Oh and in your last update there you gave the best advice anyone can give to someone going to WDW. Don't make a plan!! When you do & things go wrong it can get other members of your group really let's say unhappy.