Baby TR from the baby campers

I like how there's a special rate for the Democratic Convention:

88204ec9.png

The Republican Convention is in Tampa in August. There was an article in our local paper not too long ago about how some state delegates were complaining about their hotel assignments.

At least they weren't assigned to a campground.

So, what is the Wilderness Lodge? I am guessing a big cabin? Sounds like it could be fun.

TCD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how there's a special rate for the Democratic Convention: The Republican Convention is in Tampa in August. There was an article in our local paper not too long ago about how some state delega

Keep it coming. Youre doing great!

Thanks!

It completely varies with the campground. The Fort has the trashcans all around. A lot of campgrounds have a centrally located (or located at the exit) dumpster, one campground I went to had a metal garbage can mounted to a pole at each site. Stone Mountain wants you to put it at the street each morning and they come pick it up. It is all over the board as to how campgrounds do garbage.

Wow - good to know! I will keep a box of trash bags in the camp box so we will be prepared for "whatever". I really did like how we could recycle at the Fort. All those beer cans add up... :rofl2:

:popcorn: :camp1:

Hey! Glad you made it!

We live 90 miles from Carowinds and have never been there. We definitely need to check it out, especially the campground. Looks like a good spot for a long weekend.

It is a good spot for a long weekend. There are a lot of gas stations and fast food nearby, too, so very convenient. You could definitely camp here "on the fly" without planning too terribly carefully. There is an outlet-type mall as well, with a variety of stores and a food court and a HUGE playground inside.

Looks like a nice campground.

I agree with Carol, campgrounds vary with the trash cans. I have found at different campgrounds, the less cans available, the more trash will be scattered around the grounds. <_<

I did not see any trash out at this campground, so either people are considerate or they stay on it. So, that was good! As a matter of fact, I don't think I saw a single napkin or cup or anything... Cool!

Love your report! Looks like you had a nice setup. We had really hoped to get to Carowinds and camp there this summer, but that's not happening at this point. Hopefully sometime in the future though.

You guys have a lot going on right now. If you ever do make it down, you have to let me know!

The Republican Convention is in Tampa in August. There was an article in our local paper not too long ago about how some state delegates were complaining about their hotel assignments.

At least they weren't assigned to a campground.

So, what is the Wilderness Lodge? I am guessing a big cabin? Sounds like it could be fun.

TCD

Oh, yeah, everyone is jacking up the rates for the DNC. Crazy! I told DH that I didn't know people coming to the DNC would be camping, but he quickly reminded me of the "tree-hugging hippies". :rofl3:

The Wilderness Lodge is just what you think - a big ol' cabin. It is 1100 sq feet and they say it sleeps 14 people. 4 bedrooms, 3 bath, kitchen and "Great Room" with the obligatory 65" flat screen. It looks really nice from the outside with a BIG porch and rocking chairs. There are also picnic tables outside. There is quite a bit of open space around it, would be good for outdoor activities.

The cabins themselves are pretty darn cute. They all have a good size front porch with a porch swing on it. They are also equipped with grills.

Thanks, everyone, for reading along and making comments! On with the story – you know it’s just not an mgs vaca without some bumps in the road. Luckily, we don’t mind them so much when we’re having fun!

So, we leave home and make the grueling 15 minute drive to the campgrounds. After arriving, the guy at check-in tells me to go pick a site and come back. We choose site 33 and check in. I had to grab a bag of ice ($2.65) to throw on the cooler, and we were off!

As soon as we started setting up, I was getting eaten up by mosquitos. So, I put on the brakes and dug the Deep Woods Off wipes out of the camping box. After all 3 of us had adequately coated ourselves in DDT :rofl3: , we got camp set up in about an hour. DD did a good job of occupying herself on the scooter and making the beds in the tent.

We all decided that would be a great time to go visit the waterpark! As DD and I made our first wardrobe change in the tent, it was a sauna! I dragged the fan into the tent and opened up the windows in back facing the trees, and that helped tremendously. That fan was one of the most handy things we packed, and not just for staying cool. More on that later.

We headed out to the waterpark and stayed for about 2 hours. It was REALLY crowded with long lines. We have season passes and usually go on like a Tuesday at 4, so we weren’t used to that. But, it was fine, and DD had a great time in the big splash area. For those of you who don’t know, the entrance to the waterpark is INSIDE the regular park. So, you get 2 parks in one. There are probably 7 or so “big” slides, a few slides for the little ones, and 3 levels of “splash” area depending on how big the littlest ones are. There are also two wave pools – the one in the back you can rent a cabana with lots of nifty perks if you are there for the day (WiFi, satellite TV, food service, etc)

Sorry, no pics inside Carowinds. I just never take my camera there. I can take some next time I go, if anyone wants me to.

We stop on the way out to get DD some ice cream – she chose chocolate/vanilla swirl on a cone – and DH and I filled up our souvenir cup with Coke Zero.

So - now to what we forgot. On our way back to camp, DD is very concerned about“stuff”. “Did you bring my babies?” Yes, we got them. “Did you bring my pajamas?” Yes, honey, I promise we got everything. “Which blanket did you bring?” Um. Okay, not everything. Totally forgot blankets – and the low was supposed to be in the upper 60s. Luckily, we were not far from home. While DD and I changed into dry clothes, DH ran home to get blankets. All was well. I can’t believe I forgot blankets.

That night, DD rode her scooter and we all tried to catch fireflies. They were pretty tricky. The mosquitoes were pretty bad, and we slathered on more Off and put the fan (fan use #2) out by the picnic table. A breeze from a fan is about as good at warding off mosquitoes as anything else!

DD enjoyed looking at her Carowinds map by flashlight.

4f10452a.jpg

Now to the weather...We ordered pizza from Dominos – I met the delivery guy up at the trading post. Around 9:00, it started to thunder. Then we saw lightning in the distance. They have WiFi at the campgrounds, but there was not enough signal to pick it up. DH used his phone and we got a weather map. There was a big red blob not 5 miles to the south :-[ , and a big green blob to the northwest. I, personally, prefer green over red. Luckily, everything was moving southeast. Even though we heard thunder and saw lightning (far away), we never got even a drop of rain. DD got scared and wanted to go into the tent, so we sat her in the tent to watch “Up” and eat pizza. She was all good. DH and I sat up and drank many beers :doublebeer: and crashed out. Everyone had a great night’s sleep.

I promise more pics on the next (and probably final) installment. My camera just doesn't work well when it gets dark.

The next morning, we hung out in PJs, listened to some music, and had some breakfast.

0d15d98f.jpg

1522d30b.jpg

cd1ba7e6.jpg

2ea72776.jpg

DD got her hands on the camera for some pictures:

589f0be1.jpg

de37364e.jpg

341e6aff.jpg

What is the picture limit? Not sure, so let me cut this off and come back with some campground pics for you

Okay, so our surroundings...

Here are some pics looking away from our site:

to the right:

f905bbd7.jpg

directly in front:

b5628620.jpg

to the left:

e174ae13.jpg

So, although there were others around, it was far from crowded!

Here is the bathhouse:

a9faa54c.jpg

This is the pool area – we didn’t make it over there this trip

2942a045.jpg

Just wanted to show you how close we are to the park – that is the tower for Drop Zone you see in the background

cropped.jpg

After poking around a while, we packed up and headed over to Carowinds to ride a few rides before heading home. I rode Afterburn (Formerly known as Top Gun, and I think is the best ride in the park). DD rode the cars and airplanes and then asked if DH would hold her so she could go to sleep. That’s our queue. We hit the road home for lunch and a nap.

A good time was had by all.

Notes to self:

Bring blankets

Bring LOTS of bug spray (DD still had a bunch of bites even though we tried to keep her covered :- )

Get some paper grocery bags for when you need multiple trash trips (we are anti plastic bag when possible)

Bring plenty of cash for ice

Always bring that scooter!!!

Speaking of beer, did you remember the koozies? I see one, but did you have enough?

:beer: :faceplant2: :panic:

Yes we did! Thanks to DH - master cooler-packer. He put them in the cooler when he packed it. :heart:

Love the DD pictures. It is always fun to see what they decide is picture worthy... aren't you glad for the invention of digital cameras!

I know! When I was a kid, I think my first camera was a little Kodak that you had to attach the flash bulb pack to! So, you got like 6 pictures at a time. And it was so expensive to develop. :dropjaw:

She has a little Fisher Price play camera at home that she has gotten good at, too.

Great job.

I loved the photos from your daughter. I hope you let her take some more next time.

For your future reference, the photo limit is 30.

I can't believe you forgot the blankets either.

You need to make a list. I have one that I have developed over the years. I keep it on the computer, and print it out before I pack for each trip. And, I bring the list with me and I write on it if I think of something I wish I had packed, or if I run out of something that I keep in the camper. When I get home, I update the list on the computer before I throw the old one away. It works for me.

TCD

Damn mosquitoes! (Notice my tag) They eat me alive, even with bug spray...must be because I'm so sweet. :rofl2: (Major sarcasm)

I think your DD did great with the pics also! Your toes look adorable, and who else has a close-up shot of the extension cord? Nicki (rebelstand) would call those artsy-fartsy shots.

Speaking of farts (kind of) I honestly thought that was going to be your second reason for using the fan. Nothing worse than someone having gas in a tent. :wacko:

This was a great little report, thanks for sharing.

Carowinds Wilderness Campground is definitely on our list of CG’s.

Thanks for the great TR. :)

Seeing all, your photos of your camping set up you would never know you are new to this it looks like you have it down pretty good, I have seen some folks start bring the small fridges like the kids use in the dorm rooms, just a thought.

Great update. The campground looks pretty nice. and very cool how close you are to the park.

It was pretty cool. Luckily, the park closes at like 9 or 10 so the noise is totally not an issue for us. Plus with the crazy weather nearby, we knew as long as we heard roller coasters crankin', we were good :rofl3:

Great job.

I loved the photos from your daughter. I hope you let her take some more next time.

For your future reference, the photo limit is 30.

I can't believe you forgot the blankets either.

You need to make a list. I have one that I have developed over the years. I keep it on the computer, and print it out before I pack for each trip. And, I bring the list with me and I write on it if I think of something I wish I had packed, or if I run out of something that I keep in the camper. When I get home, I update the list on the computer before I throw the old one away. It works for me.

TCD

Thanks so much! For the record, she took 77 photos :rofl2: and 74 of those were of the extension cord. Good call on a computer list. I did have a list, the problem was I had "pillows, sheets, blankets" on one line and only got 2 out of 3... But I like the idea of updating it after every trip.

Damn mosquitoes! (Notice my tag) They eat me alive, even with bug spray...must be because I'm so sweet. :rofl2: (Major sarcasm)

I think your DD did great with the pics also! Your toes look adorable, and who else has a close-up shot of the extension cord? Nicki (rebelstand) would call those artsy-fartsy shots.

Speaking of farts (kind of) I honestly thought that was going to be your second reason for using the fan. Nothing worse than someone having gas in a tent. :wacko:

This was a great little report, thanks for sharing.

I wil def tell DD she is artsy fartsy :rofl2: I wondered if her perspective was good... ha ha I get bug bites like that too. We are just too sweet.... :heart:

Carowinds Wilderness Campground is definitely on our list of CG’s.

Thanks for the great TR. :)

Thank you so much! I am glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for posting this Beth!!! We are hoping to get to Carrowinds this summer and were wondering what the CG was like.

Looks like ya'll had a good time.

I am pro-letting the kids take photos! Some of our best ones were taken by lil H.

Please please let me know if you guys do come up for it! Even if we aren't camping, we could definitely come over for a visit! And a bunch of overdue hugs!! :hugs2:

Seeing all, your photos of your camping set up you would never know you are new to this it looks like you have it down pretty good, I have seen some folks start bring the small fridges like the kids use in the dorm rooms, just a thought.

Thanks! And I am sooooo glad you said that! I have a small fridge I keep in my classroom, we could use it! :jumpforjoy

Thanks for the pics of the campground! It does look like a nice spot to relax while visiting Carowinds. I also love the artistic angles of some of the shots, like the one of your feet resting on the picnic table with the cup. You could frame it! :rofl3: But all joking aside, that pic represents camping relaxation to me!

Thanks so much! For the record, she took 77 photos :rofl2: and 74 of those were of the extension cord. Good call on a computer list. I did have a list, the problem was I had "pillows, sheets, blankets" on one line and only got 2 out of 3... But I like the idea of updating it after every trip.

Wow, 74 photos of an extension cord! That is very artsy.

You need to fix your list so you have each item listed seperately. You just found out why. Eventually, you will get it right. Even though I probably could pack without my list now, I still use it. It's easy to get distracted and forget something. The next time, you may not be as close to home. Plus, if there is something that you think of that you wish you had brought, chances are you will forget all about it by the time the next camping trip comes. If you get in the habit of tweaking the list after every trip, then you won't forget.

TCD

Nice Reporting!! Lets look at the best photo one more time!!

That is DH's favorite too! Nothing like the smell of bacon!

Thanks for the pics of the campground! It does look like a nice spot to relax while visiting Carowinds. I also love the artistic angles of some of the shots, like the one of your feet resting on the picnic table with the cup. You could frame it! :rofl3: But all joking aside, that pic represents camping relaxation to me!

I hear you! DH was asking me "When we stay longer, what else will we DO?" I said "We will do a whole lotta nothin" :heart: Well, and hopefully next time we will go somewhere that has a fishing hole.

I've thought about this campground a couple times, since it's so close to us, plus there's the park. Thanks for this report -- it's really helping tip the scale in favor of a visit!

You guys look like pros already! Love this pic:

I'm glad I could help! I'm going to post a little more park info here in a minute! If we look like pros, it's only because I got great info here!

Wow, 74 photos of an extension cord! That is very artsy.

You need to fix your list so you have each item listed seperately. You just found out why. Eventually, you will get it right. Even though I probably could pack without my list now, I still use it. It's easy to get distracted and forget something. The next time, you may not be as close to home. Plus, if there is something that you think of that you wish you had brought, chances are you will forget all about it by the time the next camping trip comes. If you get in the habit of tweaking the list after every trip, then you won't forget.

TCD

I love the list tip! As a matter of fact, my list is on my laptop and we take that with us. I will actually be able to update it as we go! Thanks for the idea.

Great update. I loved the pics your daughter took. That looks like a nice CG and I am going to have to look up the park online and see what that is all about too. Never know when the trip down to the fort could take a detour!

Of course! Check it out! And be sure you let me know if you stop in!

Nice report. One suggestion.. a mini fridge.

Thanks! Yes, I love that suggestion!

Thanks everyone for joining in!

A few final notes about the actual park itself, if anyone is considering a visit.

Purchase your tickets through the campgrounds - they offer a discount. You could save $6-10 per ticket, depending on what you get. Definitely worth it. They occasionally run specials online, too. But the campground will always give you a discount.

They have a "meal plan" option (wonder where they got that idea? ::) ) that is $15.99. You get a meal (including drink) and a snack for that price. If you plan to eat at the park, I think it's a good deal. You can see the list of options on their website. I didn't see anything regarding kids. You cannot take ANYTHING into the park to eat or drink. So, if you plan to eat there, I would get the plan. It will be cheaper. If not, go back to the campsite to eat. The other option would be to drive to the park and go out to the car and have a picnic for lunch. Many people do this and there are a lot of grassy areas with shade for this as well. As I previously said, there are fast food places close by that you could leave and go to very easily.

There is a "Fast Lane" thing that is brand new this year. Depending on when you go, it is $35-45 per day per person (I think). You get a wristband and you can skip the line on about 10 of the most popular rides all day. I guess if you want to ride those 10 rides a lot, it would be worth it. And it depends on when you go, too. I think it's a little pricey, but I spend most of my time in Snoopyland with DD anyway, so... :rofl3:

They don't have many shows there, and no street entertainment or parades. I think in July they have fireworks on the weekends. It is certainly NOT Disney, however it is a FUN place if you like to ride rides and play games. LOTS of those toss the ring, shoot the ball, swing the hammer, guess your weight kind of deals.

So, I guess that's it. More than you ever needed to know about the campgrounds and the park! I hope to be sending another camping TR your way in a month or so. We have a couple of big trips coming up, so it might need to wait until August.

Thanks for reading along! :jumpforjoy