Baby TR from the baby campers

Camp Wilderness Resort - Charlotte, NC - (Carowinds Themepark)

We decided to camp out at Carowinds one night just to "test out" our camping stuff we've bought so far. We also wanted to make a "we need/we don't need" type list for the camping box. I will go into more detail later about the trip and about the campgrounds themselves (in case anyone in curious) - but for now I will just post a few pics to get us started! :heartsmiley:

6346e163.jpg

e2ed3489.jpg

c679cac9.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how there's a special rate for the Democratic Convention: The Republican Convention is in Tampa in August. There was an article in our local paper not too long ago about how some state delega

Definitely interested in hearing about the campground.

Your set-up looks great! We have two of those ez ups and that very same cooler.

(I do not have a cute little scooter with pink wheels though ;) )

I'm in! I've seen that CG before and always thought it would be a fun place for a long weekend. It actually looks pretty nice considering it's Carowinds. I look forward to hearing what you thought.

It is a fun place for a long weekend, especially if you have park passes! More details to come...

I'm in. :popcorn:

Yay!

Fun!!! Can't wait to read more!

Hi Carol, thanks for reading along!

Definitely interested in hearing about the campground.

Your set-up looks great! We have two of those ez ups and that very same cooler.

(I do not have a cute little scooter with pink wheels though ;) )

The ez up was the second canopy we bought - the Ozark Trail one was terrible. We got that cooler for a gift when we got married - it came with a regular size Igloo as well as a "lunchbox" size igloo. We love them all! And you soooooo need a pink scooter!

I'm in

Yay!

Cool!

I like the cooler.....I'd hurt myself with the scooter, so I'll stick with the cooler.

I rode the scooter (briefly) but managed to escape unharmed. Then, I stuck with the cooler...

Looks like you had the place to yourselves.

Nice job on the clothesline.

TCD

There were probably a dozen or so tent/popups in our loop - we just chose a site way at the back. I'll put more pics up soon. And thanks - I was pretty happy with my clothesline too!

i'm in.

Yay!

Yup, no scooters here either thank you.

Would love to hear more about your trip and see more campground photos too.

I will get busy posting an update later tonight. I do have more cg photos and some info to share. I'm off for my Monday run now!

Okay, so back to the setup -

here is our brand new tent. It is a Coleman Cimarron and we ordered it from Walmart and picked it up site-to-store for free shipping.

0c773116.jpg

There is plenty of room inside - both of these pictures are taken from the doorway.

Looking to the right...

ecf6e91f.jpg

And to the left...

0ae8c77f.jpg

You can kind of see in this picture - we had about a 3 foot walkway between both beds. And DH and I had about a foot or so on either side of our bed. Plenty of space!

f477efb5.jpg

It also had these neat pockets around the interior walls to put important stuff in.

33a70260.jpg

We arrived around 4:00 and it took us about an hour to set up the whole shabang. I thought that was pretty good for first timers. And no curse words were uttered. The tent took maybe 10 minutes. Most of the time was spent digging through the camp box. I am going to take a page from Carol's advice and stack things in the box in order of which we will want to get them out.

b55970a7.jpg

After setting up, we headed over to Carowinds to hit the water park! We were all hot and sweaty, so it was a welcome break.

Next update: all about the campgrounds and a few pictures around the campgrounds

Prices:

88204ec9.png

Map:

188f49a9.png

Okay, a note about the prices. They give discounts and so we ended up paying $32 and some change for our tent site for the night. We had water and electricity.

About the map - you can see where the guy who checked me in circled the trading post area (there is also laundry there I think) and also the name of the tent/pop up loop. He told us to go drive through the loop and choose our spot and come back to check in. I thought that was cool. Someone had already reserved site 20, so he crossed it off. There were already people camped in other sites, so we chose from what was left. We ended up in site 33.

You will also see at the top of the map, there are two rows of cabins. The first row is just as close as it looks on the map. They can just walk up the hill to the trading post and pool if they want. The second row is actually around a "back road" and you would need to drive up to the front. Not really to scale, I guess.

Also, even though the Pine loop is designated for pop ups and tents, we saw pop ups and tents in other areas as well. Not sure what that's about. I think the other sites come with satellite TV, so maybe that's it?

Overall, we thought it was a good space for the location. They also had a shuttle to Carowinds every 30 minutes. The bathhouse was relatively clean, and it was fine. We did not visit the pool, as it closes at 7pm. It looked nice and had a lifeguard on duty. Observed that there was a mini-golf course, but didn't have a chance to check it out. I see on the map there is corn hole and volleyball, but we did not observe that personally.

I do have a question:

Do campsites normally have trashcans available or nearby? I can't remember what we had at FW last year, but the only trash can in our whole loop was at the bathhouse. We did not see any place for recycling either. Let me know if this is something we should expect, or what. The last time I camped like this, I was 14 so I don't remember much about trash cans. :rofl3:

Let me know if you have questions so far - I wanted to go ahead and give you some campground info.

Prices:

88204ec9.png

Map:

188f49a9.png

Okay, a note about the prices. They give discounts and so we ended up paying $32 and some change for our tent site for the night. We had water and electricity.

About the map - you can see where the guy who checked me in circled the trading post area (there is also laundry there I think) and also the name of the tent/pop up loop. He told us to go drive through the loop and choose our spot and come back to check in. I thought that was cool. Someone had already reserved site 20, so he crossed it off. There were already people camped in other sites, so we chose from what was left. We ended up in site 33.

You will also see at the top of the map, there are two rows of cabins. The first row is just as close as it looks on the map. They can just walk up the hill to the trading post and pool if they want. The second row is actually around a "back road" and you would need to drive up to the front. Not really to scale, I guess.

Also, even though the Pine loop is designated for pop ups and tents, we saw pop ups and tents in other areas as well. Not sure what that's about. I think the other sites come with satellite TV, so maybe that's it?

Overall, we thought it was a good space for the location. They also had a shuttle to Carowinds every 30 minutes. The bathhouse was relatively clean, and it was fine. We did not visit the pool, as it closes at 7pm. It looked nice and had a lifeguard on duty. Observed that there was a mini-golf course, but didn't have a chance to check it out. I see on the map there is corn hole and volleyball, but we did not observe that personally.

I do have a question:

Do campsites normally have trashcans available or nearby? I can't remember what we had at FW last year, but the only trash can in our whole loop was at the bathhouse. We did not see any place for recycling either. Let me know if this is something we should expect, or what. The last time I camped like this, I was 14 so I don't remember much about trash cans. :rofl3:

Let me know if you have questions so far - I wanted to go ahead and give you some campground info.

It completely varies with the campground. The Fort has the trashcans all around. A lot of campgrounds have a centrally located (or located at the exit) dumpster, one campground I went to had a metal garbage can mounted to a pole at each site. Stone Mountain wants you to put it at the street each morning and they come pick it up. It is all over the board as to how campgrounds do garbage.

Looks like a nice campground.

I agree with Carol, campgrounds vary with the trash cans. I have found at different campgrounds, the less cans available, the more trash will be scattered around the grounds. <_<