Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

db83c6b7_zps58565924.jpg

OK, Todd, I can't figure out where this photo was taken.

Is that the back of Pioneer Hall on the right?

At first, that's what I thought.  I know there are modular offices behind Pioneer Hall, so at first I thought the modular-type building we see in this photo was replaced by the stuff that is there now.

But, you can see the roof of another building over the trees on the left part of the photo, and it looks like there's another building on the far left.

So, is the building on the right the River Country pavilion?  That still doesn't explain the building roof on the left.

I'm lost.

TCD

The area were the horses are is the fenced in loading dock now and the is the roof on the left of RC

So, is the road that trucks use to make deliveries to Pioneer Hall behind the fence in the background?

There had to be a way to get deliveries to Pioneer Hall.

And, are the kids standing in the area where all the petting zoo enclosues are now?

TCD

It's still there and among other things, it's a location for storage trailers and as a staging area for construction projects. Track sections for the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train are there now. In fact, if you go to Google Maps 3d, they're visible.

It was also used by WDW bus transportation during Spring Break instead of TTC.

StolPort_zps66f6685f.jpg

Couple of things interesting with the old aerial photo Todd posted of the STOL compared to the newer satellite pic.  First, it's interesting how the vegetation has grown in around the runway, particularly to the east side toward the Fort.  But further, it looks as though there were two small canals or maybe just drainage ditches on either side of the runway which I don't see any evidence of in the sat pic.  Wonder if they were there just to aid in drainage of the runway and were subsequently filled in? 

Couple of things interesting with the old aerial photo Todd posted of the STOL compared to the newer satellite pic.  First, it's interesting how the vegetation has grown in around the runway, particularly to the east side toward the Fort.  But further, it looks as though there were two small canals or maybe just drainage ditches on either side of the runway which I don't see any evidence of in the sat pic.  Wonder if they were there just to aid in drainage of the runway and were subsequently filled in? 

I bet Disney dug them as fill for the runway