Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

I googled it and Wikipedia said something about the passengers knocked out a window and climbed to the top.

That took some courage. It's pretty high up if they fell. I'm guessing three stories or so.

Look up the evacuation procedures on the monorail and you'll think twice about riding the monorails again.

With all that plastic melting I bet the fumes were awful. Glad they made it out.

It could have been a lot worse than it was.

people got on the roof and slip down the windshild and walked down the beam

It's too dangerous to just slide down the windshield. A CM attaches a knotted rope to the top and base of the windshield so that someone doesn't just slide down and off the windshield onto the beam.

That approach is only used in extreme cases when people's lives are at risk and the entire monorail is unsafe. Normally they'll just climb onto the roof and walk to another car away from the danger.

They have a number of methods to get people off the train if it's not at risk, from towing, to cherry pickers, ladders, to a special rig that attaches to the roof above the doors.

It's too dangerous to just slide down the windshield. A CM attaches a knotted rope to the top and base of the windshield so that someone doesn't just slide down and off the windshield onto the beam.

That approach is only used in extreme cases when people's lives are at risk and the entire monorail is unsafe. Normally they'll just climb onto the roof and walk to another car away from the danger.

They have a number of methods to get people off the train if it's not at risk, from towing, to cherry pickers, ladders, to a special rig that attaches to the roof above the doors.

Geez.

I hate to admit it, but this is something that I have never even thought about.

But, now that I have, it would be awful to be stuck in a monorail car full of people and have to evacuate. Neither jumping from one car roof to another or sliding down a rope onto the beam sounds like a good option to me.

I see more bus and boat rides in my future.

TCD

We were there in 1977 ( our first trip) and our children were 5, 7, 9 & 10. We stayed in the Contemporary Tower. Went back in 1978 and again stayed in the Contemporary Tower. Loved it. I admit I would love to stay there again sometime but I am sure I will never be able to afford it. I am happy in my old RV in the campground. That's where all the great people are.