Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

That slideshow is a treasure trove, dug up by Fort Fiends' very own Indiana Jones, TCD!

This:

Disney-people-inspect-property-12-1963-1

I've heard talk that the old fishing/hunting lodge was located at the area that is now the Settlement, close to the Settlement Trading Post. If so, if what's pictured above is that lodge, the Lawnmower Tree is nearby. I heard a rumor that Walt and Roy liked the lodge building so much that they considered including it in Fort Wilderness.

Great post, Norm.

With regard to Walt and Roy liking the Fishing Lodge and discovering the Lawnmower tree, this is a page from an old Fort Wilderness check in folder which tells that story:

FW19732.jpg

I'm having trouble orienting myself in the first photo.  Where is Discovery Island?  It must have been there since someone said there was a family living on it when Walt purchased the property.

disneyWorld.jpg

Nice work, Harold.

TCD

I didn't know WDW had a Bertha Mae.  I had read about the one from DL being sold on eBay. 

That is the Seven seas lagoon and Disney used the keel boats on opening day to transport guest from TTC to MK the same way Disney does it today with the ferrys 

That is the Seven seas lagoon and Disney used the keel boats on opening day to transport guest from TTC to MK the same way Disney does it today with the ferrys 

I had heard from a reliable source that the keel boats were tested for that purpose prior to opening day but one of them ran aground so they were never used on the lagoon with paying guests.  If that were the case, then the people in that photo would all be CM's.  Anyone else hear that? 

I heard there was a near catastrophe when Davy Crockett raced Mike Fink and somebody changed a sign on the river and Davy went the wrong way around Discovery Island.

I had heard from a reliable source that the keel boats were tested for that purpose prior to opening day but one of them ran aground so they were never used on the lagoon with paying guests.  If that were the case, then the people in that photo would all be CM's.  Anyone else hear that? 

I haven't heard anything from a reliable source, but the person who posted the original photo that Todd borrowed and posted here said this about it:

The keelboats were powered by natural gas. Before the park was opened to the public, the keelboats were used in the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake as part of the orientation for new employees. This photo was taken by me in August of 1971, during the very first time the park was opened to the public. I worked for Buena Vista Land Company and the park was opened for one day only for all of those who had worked construction in the park. This keelboat had actually run aground, and the long poles had to be used to free it from the sand bar. After this time, the keelboats have been confined to the Rivers of America and never used outside the river again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufg8r/230726203/in/photostream/

TCD

I haven't heard anything from a reliable source, but the person who posted the original photo that Todd borrowed and posted here said this about it:

The keelboats were powered by natural gas. Before the park was opened to the public, the keelboats were used in the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake as part of the orientation for new employees. This photo was taken by me in August of 1971, during the very first time the park was opened to the public. I worked for Buena Vista Land Company and the park was opened for one day only for all of those who had worked construction in the park. This keelboat had actually run aground, and the long poles had to be used to free it from the sand bar. After this time, the keelboats have been confined to the Rivers of America and never used outside the river again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufg8r/230726203/in/photostream/

TCD

Interesting.  So the info I had and what Todd is saying seem both accurate...the keel boats were not used for paying guests, but there ARE non-CM's on that boat like Todd noted with the long hair and all.  So basically Disney used the construction workers as guinea pigs to see if the boats were safe.  :rofl3:

Great post, Norm.

With regard to Walt and Roy liking the Fishing Lodge and discovering the Lawnmower tree, this is a page from an old Fort Wilderness check in folder which tells that story:

FW19732.jpg

Nice work, Harold.

TCD

I always made a joke the all of Disney world was planned around the lawnmower tree. Wow to find out that not all of WDW was but at least the Fort was I find at cool.