Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

That giant disembodied duck head is just further proof (in addition to the Main Street Electric Parade) that Disney was run by a bunch of drug crazed hippies in the 70's. TCD

You may be on to something the Donald head is creepy.

I thought it was commonly known that it is on a guide rail.

There are some really tight spots, see photo, in the river, and due to the inertia of such a large boat, asking someone to pilot through them would be almost impossible. As far as I know all boats except the ones on the lakes are on a guide rail.

You'll notice that they make an announcement on the ferries that it's a free floating boat.

Notice anything unusual in the photo?

lb_zps06480c0e.jpg

Do the boats always stay in the river or do they have the ability to make it back to the marina for repair

They can make it to the Seven Seas Lagoon, into Bay Lake and the marina.  I think it has a way into the canal where they store the EWP barges. 

Here is the most I could get in one screen shot without going too small, but as you can see it goes exactly the path Dave mentions.

Riverboat.jpg

Just below this picture is Seven Seas Lagoon

Here is the most I could get in one screen shot without going too small, but as you can see it goes exactly the path Dave mentions.

Riverboat.jpg

Just below this picture is Seven Seas Lagoon

I wonder if the track goes all the way down the canal past the EWP and ends at the lagoon? That canal is tight. Next time I am at MK I will have to pay attention to the train bridge. It has to be some kind of draw bridge.

I wonder if the track goes all the way down the canal past the EWP and ends at the lagoon? That canal is tight. Next time I am at MK I will have to pay attention to the train bridge. It has to be some kind of draw bridge.

I know there is at least one bridge that has to be removed to get the boat through.  Not sure about the train bridge. 

I bet it is towed out of there.  It only goes out for a major refurb.

I bet it is towed out of there.  It only goes out for a major refurb.

Last time was May 2012.

The Liberty Square Riverboat's refurbishment is complete and it will be returning from dry dock to the Magic Kingdom the night of Thursday, May 17. Once again the riverboat will move through Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon, back into the Rivers of America. This is planned to take place late at night and shouldn't affect the EWP.

In order for the move to take place, Magic Kingdom Park gate 3 will be closed from 11pm Thursday, May 17 through 8am Friday, May 18.

They don't talk about it being towed, but that would make sense - at least through the narrow waterway back into MK. 

Next time this is scheduled we'll have to find a night owl Fiend to scope it out and get us some pics.  :)

This is all a lot of hooey and I will have no part of it. I have personally ridden on these boats and seen the captain in the wheelhouse steering the boat. The track is a myth.

This is all a lot of hooey and I will have no part of it. I have personally ridden on these boats and seen the captain in the wheelhouse steering the boat. The track is a myth.

You're saying that you've been on the Liberty Belle and knew for a fact that the captain was actually piloting it through the Rivers of America? How could you tell? 

They dye the water, there, and at the other boat attractions that use a guide rail so that it's not visible.

You're saying that you've been on the Liberty Belle and knew for a fact that the captain was actually piloting it through the Rivers of America? How could you tell? 

They dye the water, there, and at the other boat attractions that use a guide rail so that it's not visible.

Simple. The guy turns the wheel and the boat turns. Good enough for me.

Simple. The guy turns the wheel and the boat turns. Good enough for me.

I don't know if you're kidding or not, but just in case you're serious, below in blue are two quotes from various websites.

If you research it, you'll find many instances of the guide rail being mentioned. 

"My husband asked if guests were allowed to ride in the wheelhouse. To my son's great joy, the answer was "yes." Not only that, but he was allowed to pilot the boat on its 17-minute journey on the Rivers of America around Tom Sawyer Island. (Before you fear for your life the next time you step on the Liberty Belle, know that it runs on a track "

"The pilot signals the departure and arrival using a horn and bell system, along with various signals to other river craft attractions. Because the riverboat travels along an I-beam guide rail throughout the ride, the pilot does not maneuver the ship. Instead, the pilot serves as lookout for other river traffic,"

The photo is of the certificate that the Captain gives to kids that are allowed in the pilot house and pretend to steer the boat. Do you think they would allow kids to turn the wheel if it actually maneuvered the boat?

pilot_license_zpscaec5ffb.jpg

What started this discussion was post #765, which shows the Rivers of America under construction and shows the guide rail.

How about the jungle cruise, is the CM steering the boat?

Yes, we had those chairs for sure.

My dad was skilled at replacing the webbing.  I'll be he still has a couple in his garage.

TCD

So was my mom.  Really, they were quite genius inventions.  I wish they were still available!  Not the plastic junk that you see now.

I love the old pictures of Roy and company exploring the property. 

Not sure if these have been posted before...I know similar ones have been at least.  But I love the old Land Rover.  Looks like a Series II.  Pretty cool stuff. 

c069089ch.jpg?w=880

c067089bv.jpg?w=880

Note the flag on the boat in the second photo.  Wasn't there a discussion on here once about the type of flags on the resort boats?

Remind me not to get on that space craft on Mission Space with any of you clowns. I don't want to become toast if you don't release that booster rocket in time,