Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

c067089bw_zps3be428ef.jpg

Yes that is bay lake. If you look you can see plans in one of the guys hands

I did some looking around for some background on this photo, and look at what I found (make sure to read the caption) :

roydisneybaylake_zps294daf04.jpg

That "guy" holding the plans in the first photo isn't just some guy.  It's Roy Disney!

And remember the hunting lodge we were talking about?  I think this must be it:

roydisneyfortw_zpse3c5bba4.jpg

There is a pretty cool slideshow which includes these and other photos here:

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/disney/-/14183226/18403560/-/gqt7g2/-/index.html

TCD

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

I did some looking around for some background on this photo, and look at what I found (make sure to read the caption) :

roydisneybaylake_zps294daf04.jpg

That "guy" holding the plans in the first photo isn't just some guy.  It's Roy Disney!

And remember the hunting lodge we were talking about?  I think this must be it:

roydisneyfortw_zpse3c5bba4.jpg

There is a pretty cool slideshow which includes these and other photos here:

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/disney/-/14183226/18403560/-/gqt7g2/-/index.html

TCD

Another Great find TCD 

Another Great find TCD 

Hang on, I'm on a roll.

How about this photo- which is archived in the same place as the previous ones with Roy and the men inspecting the property:

royshoetree_zpsfdb26a01.jpg

That is the Shoe Tree there standing out in the lake, and Discovery Island over to the right.

I think it's safe to assume that Roy is on that boat.

How cool is that?

TCD

Hang on, I'm on a roll.

How about this photo- which is archived in the same place as the previous ones with Roy and the men inspecting the property:

That is the Shoe Tree there standing out in the lake, and Discovery Island over to the right.

I think it's safe to assume that Roy is on that boat.

How cool is that?

TCD

Crazy cool.  Keep your roll going.

9152537285_36b12b1924_o.png

Good one, Warren.

That is one of the earliest Contemporary Resort construction photos I have seen.

If we didn't know this pic was taken in 1967 you would think someone shot it from the beach a the Fort today

True.

Which makes the plan of the current idiots in charge to turn the cypress head there in the background into a DVC resort even more egregious.

TCD

9157433919_e9e02a19a4_o.jpg

It actually looks like they reformed the square piece of land or added more when they built the GF  wasn't there suppose to be a persian resort or something else in the original plan for that site?

If we didn't know this pic was taken in 1967 you would think someone shot it from the beach a the Fort today

What a simpiler time back then.  Here you probably have top Disney Executives along with Roy and Walt themselves who for the day were making BIG bucks yet they are all packed in a small boat that probably wasn't worth more than a few thousand dollars if that.  Nowadays, if someone were surveying the same type of property, the developers or finacial backers would have a cleard drive made out to the lake with an expensive temporary dock with at least a 25-30 ft boat waiting with cocktails and hors dourves.  My how life has changed :)

It actually looks like they reformed the square piece of land or added more when they built the GF  wasn't there suppose to be a persian resort or something else in the original plan for that site?

Yes, there was supposed to be another resort on that site.  It's interesting to see that the pad was already in place.

Just for kicks, I resized Warren's photo and compared it to a current Bing Bird's Eye view.

Kind of neat to compare the two:

1971aerial_zps2c200d22.jpg

wdwaerial_zps6d5105f1.jpg

TCD

That slideshow is a treasure trove, dug up by Fort Fiends' very own Indiana Jones, TCD!

This:

Disney-people-inspect-property-12-1963-1

I've heard talk that the old fishing/hunting lodge was located at the area that is now the Settlement, close to the Settlement Trading Post. If so, if what's pictured above is that lodge, the Lawnmower Tree is nearby. I heard a rumor that Walt and Roy liked the lodge building so much that they considered including it in Fort Wilderness.

And now I'm going to go out on a limb and contribute to the discussion with a Troll RantTM about this photo:

Walt-Disney-with-company-at-press-confer

Remember, you can't get mad at me, report me, or hate me for anything I write in between the TROLL RANT tags.

[TROLL RANT]

What a different time this photo was taken in. Notice how the state's government -- all the way to the top -- rolled out the red carpet for Walt and company. They realized what a tremendous boon Disney World would be for the state. Jobs, revenue, development, opportunity, etc., etc.

Would something like this happen today?

If Disney World were to be proposed today, you'd have certain politicians jumping in to the fray, demanding that laws be passed to "protect the workers" and to ensure that Disney World pays them a "livable wage" and doesn't "exploit them." Politicians and corny interest groups would jump in and whine that the proposed Disney project would destroy a fragile ecosystem and have too large of a "carbon footprint." If the governor of Florida welcomed Disney, the media would harpoon him for being "in the pockets" of a "Big Corporation" and that "Big Corporations" were too "greedy" and already "too powerful." Then for added flavor, politicians would jump in and demand that Disney "compensate" the poor "local" businesses for the business they would lose to Disney World.

My, how the world has changed.

[/TROLL RANT]

Just for kicks, I resized Warren's photo and compared it to a current Bing Bird's Eye view.

Kind of neat to compare the two:

1971aerial_zps2c200d22.jpg

wdwaerial_zps6d5105f1.jpg

TCD

I'm having trouble orienting myself in the first photo.  Where is Discovery Island?  It must have been there since someone said there was a family living on it when Walt purchased the property.