Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

I didn't know the river bed of the steam boat was all concrete. I did in the Jungle Cruise because you can see it. I wonder how many cracks are in it if any? 

The HM pic is very cool. What's weird is the actual ride seems to mostly be in the white building behind and there doesm't seem to be much in the mansion itself except maybe the expanding room.

I didn't know the river bed of the steam boat was all concrete. I did in the Jungle Cruise because you can see it. I wonder how many cracks are in it if any? 

The HM pic is very cool. What's weird is the actual ride seems to mostly be in the white building behind and there doesm't seem to be much in the mansion itself except maybe the expanding room.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Rivers of America in Disneyland was not concrete, and the first time they filled it, it emptied out pretty quickly, so had to do something to keep the water in, so I'm guessing they learned a lot from building Disneyland.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Rivers of America in Disneyland was not concrete, and the first time they filled it, it emptied out pretty quickly, so had to do something to keep the water in, so I'm guessing they learned a lot from building Disneyland.

I bet the underlying ground in Florida presents much different issues than in Cali too.  Does anyone recall them draining the Rivers of America at WDW for cleaning and inspection at any point in recent years?  They did that to the waterway in front of the castle, right?

awcEBy1.jpg

About 20 miles from my house is the inspiration for the Haunted Mansion - the Harry Packer mansion in Jim Thorpe, PA.

http://www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com/index335.html

From the article: The haunted mansion in Disney World was located in Liberty Square, and the façade reflects the Colonial architecture of the surrounding structures. The façade is a mixture of Hudson River Valley, Dutch Gothic style, and of a particular mansion in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, called The Harry Packer Mansion.

All I know is that it looks more like the haunted mansion than my house does.

Be that as it may, I don't see what architectural elements were carried over.

Gotta agree with you there.  The overall style may be similar, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of inspiration there.

Is creepiness an architectural element?

Once upon a time I was an architecture major.  At an art school.  With some pretty... shall we say... interesting characters in my class.

I can tell you that in some cases creepiness can indeed be an architectural element.

The operant word is "inspired." No one claims it is an exact copy. But the tower in the center with the side wings certainly can make the claim of inspiring the HM. Cinderella castle was inspired by Neuschwanstein. I have seen both, and outside of a couple tall towers, there is little resemblance.

The operant word is "inspired." No one claims it is an exact copy. But the tower in the center with the side wings certainly can make the claim of inspiring the HM. Cinderella castle was inspired by Neuschwanstein. I have seen both, and outside of a couple tall towers, there is little resemblance.

castle_zps0bcf00a2.jpg

Fair enough.

This last one confused me a bit...looks like Jungle Cruise in a way.  But I can't place that building in the middle, unless it is the temple and is more overgrown now. 

Yup, that is Jungle Cruise.

On Bing Maps, they show the outlines of the MK buildings.  You can see that "T" shaped building clearly here:

junglecruise_zpsb092d937.jpg

I think you're right- that building must be the temple that the boats ride through.

TCD