Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

The batch of Contemporary Resort construction photos that Todd found is amazing.

I want to revisit this one:

contemporaryconstruction_zps50e14227.jpg

What is going on there down at the bottom left corner of the area in the photo?

Let's take a closer look:

waterbridge3_zps6e0dabef.jpg

Dude.

That's the water bridge under construction!

Check out the lower left corner of this photo:

waterbridge1_zps69504b5c.jpg

Closer:

waterbridge_zpsd21ed065.jpg

From that same photo, check out the northern shore of Bay Lake- that is the beach where those previous photos we looked at were taken:

waterbridge2_zpsb7cb52b2.jpg

It's amazing how many high quality WDW construction photos are floating around the internet.  One of these days, I hope someone finds some from the Fort.

TCD

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

The former architecture major in me is loving all these cool construction photos!!

The Content Po-Po in me just wants to remind folks that if they're linking directly to photos on other website (i.e., not from images in your own person photo accounts), please include a link to the page you found it on.  :)

I believe the docks were built while Bay lake was drained and before Seven Seas Lagoon was flooded.

That makes sense.

Also, they clearly filled in the areas they wanted to while the water level was down.  Even that big empty square where the Grand Floridian sits today.  That was smart- way easier to do it that way.

Same thing with the monorail supports.  There are a few south of the Contemporary Resort that are in the water.  You can see that there wasn't water there when they installed them.

TCD

I'm thinking those two folks on horseback are fixin' to rob that there train!

How is a child that small allowed to ride a pony without an adult holding the pony's harness?

Easy. Back then nobody thought about safety. They thought about fun. Growing up a lot of my parents cars didn't have seat belts, I never had a helmet to ride a bike, back then we had to fight with our parents to go outside. Now days I have to tell my kids to get out of the house and go do something. They go outside long enough to go to a friends house to play video games.

We used to tumble around in the back of the station wagon while driving to our grandparent's house.  No safety belts for us either, nor helmets.  I sure do miss those days when everyone knew their neighbor and it was safe to let your kids stay outside until the street lights came on without a parent hovering around.