So, we've been discussing pop up campers - maybe next summer - and of course, I'm checking out what's out there. The big glitch is that DH is determined to pull it with his 2008 Jeep Wrangler. (there should really be an uber-patient wifey smiley who is tapping her foot...) The towing capacity is 2000 lbs. Now, when I look at pop ups online, I'm looking at so many weights. I know I've studied this before, and for some reason I think I should be looking at the GVWR on the camper specs. Is that right? Cause if that's the case, about the only thing we can tow is a Starflyer or an old Taos.

Input, pleeeeeeeeeease!!!!

Yep, gross weight on the trailer is what you should be looking at. You also have to subtract from that 2K towing limit, extra passengers, gear/luggage in the vehicle, and anything over 1/2 tank of gas.

Most car manufacturers base the max towing limit on only the driver and 1/2 tank of gas in the vehicle.

Also me personally, I refuse to use more than about 60% of my tow limit.

Yep, gross weight on the trailer is what you should be looking at. You also have to subtract from that 2K towing limit, extra passengers, gear/luggage in the vehicle, and anything over 1/2 tank of gas.

Most car manufacturers base the max towing limit on only the driver and 1/2 tank of gas in the vehicle.

Also me personally, I refuse to use more than about 60% of my tow limit.

Very helpful, thanks! I was thinking it was something like that. We stopped at an RV lot just to look yesterday, and they had a super cute T@B - silver and yellow. The inside was awesome! If it were just me and DH, we would have had a hard time not buying it!

My husband would agree with Carol.

Mine does too.

There is no way in hell I would tow a trailer with a Jeep Wrangler.

I think DH is starting to agree with you guys.

FWIW, DH works at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram dealer. He says he would never try and tow 2000 lbs with a Jeep Wrangler unless it was a 4 door "Unlimited" model, no matter what the tow rating says. He says the wheel base on the regular Wrangler is just way too short.

And I think he's agreeing with you now too! Yay!

Thanks a bunch! I think our current option for taking the Jeep is to get a small utility trailer and pile our camping equipment on it and then we can take the Jeep. Tent, canopy, cooler, etc. I think that will be in his towing range.

We can fit everything in the PIlot very easily, but apparently that is not a fun camping vehicle. :rofl2:

Very helpful, thanks! I was thinking it was something like that. We stopped at an RV lot just to look yesterday, and they had a super cute T@B - silver and yellow. The inside was awesome! If it were just me and DH, we would have had a hard time not buying it!

If it was used Dutchmen T@B then the gross weight on that one is 1930. That is "barely" within the 2K pounds.

If it was a new Little Guy T@B, then the gross weight on that one is 3500 pounds. (They are using heavier duty American trailer frames for the new T@Bs), waaay over the limit.

I LOVE my T@B, but we are just a couple, and we are towing with a 7K tow limit truck :)

I think DH is starting to agree with you guys.

Whew!

We were in a serious accident towing our camper almost exactly a year ago (everybody was fine thankfully).

We were well under our limit with a good hitch/sway setup, and the accident was a result of some jackwagon cutting us off, but it's made me a lot more conscious and cautious of safety when towing.

Thanks a bunch! I think our current option for taking the Jeep is to get a small utility trailer and pile our camping equipment on it and then we can take the Jeep. Tent, canopy, cooler, etc. I think that will be in his towing range.

There ya go! You could outfit a utility trailer pretty nicely to be able to use the space inside once you're setup too.

Good luck - hope it all works out for you! :)

We can fit everything in the PIlot very easily, but apparently that is not a fun camping vehicle. :rofl2:

Hi there, we are a tent camping family of seven, I use a utility trailer to take our stuff, until you upgrade it's the only way to go!

If it was used Dutchmen T@B then the gross weight on that one is 1930. That is "barely" within the 2K pounds.

If it was a new Little Guy T@B, then the gross weight on that one is 3500 pounds. (They are using heavier duty American trailer frames for the new T@Bs), waaay over the limit.

I LOVE my T@B, but we are just a couple, and we are towing with a 7K tow limit truck :)

Exactly - but we really were impressed with how nice it was on the inside! My car has a 4000 lb towing limit (I think) but I'm not sure I'll be pulling anything with it, either.

Towing with a Wrangler is a good way to end up in a ditch.

:rofl2: I see that! And big thanks to you guys for keeping us out of the ditch!

Whew!

We were in a serious accident towing our camper almost exactly a year ago (everybody was fine thankfully).

We were well under our limit with a good hitch/sway setup, and the accident was a result of some jackwagon cutting us off, but it's made me a lot more conscious and cautious of safety when towing.

There ya go! You could outfit a utility trailer pretty nicely to be able to use the space inside once you're setup too.

Good luck - hope it all works out for you! :)

I remember that - how scary! DH is pretty cautious about things, too, but I've had a hard time convincing him that we can't pull hardly anything in that Jeep. You guys have helped so much - that's why I come to the experts!

I would have to agree with everyone here not to tow with the Jeep, my son and a friend just moved a pop up a few miles this week with a Jeep and said it swayed all over the road!!!!!!!!!

I bet!

Hi there, we are a tent camping family of seven, I use a utility trailer to take our stuff, until you upgrade it's the only way to go!

Sounds good! We are going to see if my former inlaws have one we can borrow a couple of times before we actually buy one. They have some smaller ones they use to tote lawn mowers and such, so I think they will be fine behind the Jeep.

I tow my Aliner popup with a Pilot. There is a difference in towing capacities between vehicles with factory tow packages, after market tow hitches, and 2 vs 4 WD. Although the camper dealer said I didn't need to add brakes to the camper, I chose to have them added.

Yes, I have a Pilot. At some point, I'm sure it'll either be "tow with my car or just keep tenting" so we'll see! ;D

We really are looking at a popup for storage, climate control, and some basic amenties built in (fridge, stove). My Pilot will be able to tow something like this. It has a good towing package, and we would add necessary stuff.

Reading everyone's responses outloud to him have helped back up my claim that we are NOT pulling a pop up with a 2DR Wrangler :whew:

It's tough and I understand your DHs excitement. It's a fun way to vacation and you just want to jump in. I did the same thing with my F150 and TT. After a couple of trips, I found out that towing within the mfg guideline max's was exhausting. Arriving with white knuckles because of the "tail wagging the dog.". I never experienced any problems, but never felt like I had any buffer built in either.

Best of luck with whichever way you go. Fun and excitement lies ahead.

It's tough and I understand your DHs excitement. It's a fun way to vacation and you just want to jump in. I did the same thing with my F150 and TT. After a couple of trips, I found out that towing within the mfg guideline max's was exhausting. Arriving with white knuckles because of the "tail wagging the dog.". I never experienced any problems, but never felt like I had any buffer built in either.

Best of luck with whichever way you go. Fun and excitement lies ahead.

Thanks! I agree!

On another note, I just noticed your location! We were just in your neck of the woods last week visiting DH's family! Small world! He grew up in East St. Louis (IL) ;) They have moved on, but he still has street cred :rofl2:

We were at the Cardinals game and it was like 105 degrees! He is also a Blues fan.

In case your hubs needs any more convincing, I'm with everyone else. We own a 2 door Jeep, and I will admit it's fun to drive, BUT, there is no way in hell I'd pull a PU with it. We used a Titan for a TT and learned quickly that even if you're well within the tow limit, things can get tough.

Thanks! I agree!

On another note, I just noticed your location! We were just in your neck of the woods last week visiting DH's family! Small world! He grew up in East St. Louis (IL) ;) They have moved on, but he still has street cred :rofl2:

We were at the Cardinals game and it was like 105 degrees! He is also a Blues fan.

Wow....105 degrees is just crazy. I watched all those 100+ degree games on the TV. I'm a huge Cards fan, but that just looked miserable.

I would have to agree with everyone here not to tow with the Jeep, my son and a friend just moved a pop up a few miles this week with a Jeep and said it swayed all over the road!!!!!!!!!

Um, I second that. I brought our new to us popup home from Cocoa Beach (which is a 1 1/2 drive) with my Jeep and I will NEVER do it again. That thing almost killed me. The problem is not the engine pulling it. The problem is that the Jeep is too short and the popup ends up trying to turn the Jeep around. I am so glad I never tried this as a novice! Oh boy!