DH & DD11 were here to see the cleanup from a GC accident involving at least 2, possibly 3, carts on the road halfway between the 1700 bus stop & the 4 way stop.

One cart was sitting upside down in the road, another was down in the woods by the back of the 1700 loop. There were also 2 or 3 GCs pulled off on the side. DH was told people were thrown from the carts. Ambulances and a firetruck were on the scene along with fort personnel, and the road was blocked from all traffic for a short time.

DH said all the carts appeared to be wdw carts. Unfortunately Starla and I missed it so no pictures but we'll update as soon as we hear more details. In the meantime, our thoughts are with all involved. Praying there were no serious injuries...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to make light of this GC accident and I hope everyone is okay. But i'm glad it was Disney carts and not personal carts. We don't need to give Disney anymore ammo to ban personal carts. I hope everyone is okay

I thought of that too. That's why I asked DH if they were personal carts or those Orlando rental carts I've been seeing with phone # advertisement on the side.

DH thought it was really odd that the flipped cart was on the road. He couldn't think of what would make it flip on dry paved road.

Either way, Bob's seat belts are looking pretty good to me right now...

Yikes - and in broad daylight on a dry road? That's pretty scary - I hope everyone is ok.

... how fast would a GC be going to flip another one upside down?

I wondered that myself, but Ed's right - they're not the most stable vehicle in the world. If it was also overloaded, it would probably have been even easier to flip and throw people from the cart.

Will be VERY curious to hear how the details of this shake out.

I really pray no one was killed. A 14 year old boy in the subdivision next to mine was killed and his 3 friends seriously injured this summer on a golf cart that lost control and hit a mailbox. They are not toys. Being thrown from a cart, or having one flip onto you after you've been thrown onto pavement, is not a good scenario.

Being rental carts, I wonder what the odds were that someone underage was driving. I know when I was young I would do stupid things on my BMX bike and go carts thinking I was in the "dukes of hazard". I wouldnt doubt either an idiot or an underage driver tried to slide the cart sideways by pinning the wheel while driving fast. In all reality, it might work on gravel or dirt, but not dry pavement. I agree thank God it was not personal carts

I've heard it from several sources now that a woman was driving and an elem school age child broke her arm but no other injuries. DH saw multiple carts parked in addition to the flipped GC. Another off in the trees left good sized tracks but the stories we've heard of the accident only mention one cart making a uturn.

What's amazing to me is how fast it was handled. DH called to tell me the loop was shut down as soon as it happened b/c we were on our way back and we pulled back into the fort within 30-45 minutes. If we hadn't been told something happened b/c they saw it, we'd never have known. Hopefully we'll never need that kind of help while on vacation but it's reassuring to see the quick response in the event we ever do...