Hot as Hades at the Fort for the 4th!

Rita, Great start on the TR. I always love to hear about the adventure of Oldekoot. You guys alway seem to have a great time.

Hey stop trying to steal Lou's job. :)

Thanks Jeff! I try to leave out the times when I am stamping my foot and cussing! Mama is lots of fun!

I'm in! Good start Rita. Looking foreward to more pics and of course pithy wisecracks from your mom!

Glad you're here and trust me, there will be more coming!

Cool start! Wish we had a local Hardees!

Hmmmm.

I was about to post and tell you that there was one in Tarpon Springs (not far), but I checked and it doesn't show up on the Hardee's website.

I thought there was one closer to us.

I must think that because I pass at least a dozen when I drive to Tallahassee. Plus there is one right on the FSU campus.

TCD

We used to have a Hardee's across the bridge in Blountstown. It was actually the first and only fast food place near us for ages. They closed it years ago. :( Now the nearest one is about 20 miles from us in Quincy. We usually go out of our way to stop there on our way down to Disney. We have realized that with the camper we can't do that easily, it's in town and there's no parking for the camper. :(

I'm in....

:)

Lots of photos, but uploads to photobucket are going slow for some reason.

GET BUSY!

I think I made this same face!! :rofl2:

1341356986234.jpg

too funny, cherie. it definitely looks like that drink was an eye opener! :rofl3:

I think we all do! You definitely know that you got the liquor you paid for in that drink!

Thanks for starting a TR. it was great meeting Rita, Ed and Linda. I can't believe I never got to meet your mama. I guess that means I have to plan another trip!

It's always better to meet Mama in a smaller setting than the Pot Luck. She doesn't hear well, so large group noise makes her a little anxious! We'll see you at Halloween/Thanksgiving or sometime in between! :) We enjoyed meeting you as well!

Oh Rita! That stickey wing pic made my mouth water...even at 5am.

Dave, I am noticing a trend. Your first comment on this TR was about the biscuit and now it is the sticky wings. I hope I have enough pictures of kitties food, to keep you interested! :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ed and I are not that great! We are a family and are fortunate to live right here in this little town near each other. If y'all think my Mama is taken care of, you should have met my Grandma Rita Mae!

I really admire, even though you're both BHLs, you and Ed on how you involve your mom, I refuse to call her Oldekoot, in your lives. It's something you don't see or hear much about in today's culture.

Rita, I go away for a couple of days and you have a trip report in progress. I love :heartsmiley: the pictures of your mom drinking the pineapple drink...I am going to have to try one of those!

Just a brief word about our dinner at Kona. I love those sticky wings. I have shared my love of the Terriyaki steak with pineapple many times on these forums, but I won't have it again. :( None of us enjoyed our entrees because they were absolutely overwhelmed with pepper. I do not care for black pepper so you can't always trust me when it comes to that, but Linda loves it and even she talked about it. It was all over the steak and in the potatoes as well. Ed ordered the Tuna Oscar and it was covered in cayenne pepper. Mama got the Lo Mein, but barely touched it because it was burning the back of her throat.

We may return, but it will be for Sticky Wings and dessert.

Great TR! You guys are so funny!

That stinks about all the pepper - my DH would have felt the same way, too. I, however, am addicted to pepper and spicy stuff. Shoulda mailed me your doggie bags :rofl2:

I can't believe I never got to meet your mama. I guess that means I have to plan another trip!

Brent, it would be well worth it! She is a tiny little firecracker. :heart:

Great pics Ed & Rita!

IMG_1859.jpg

I love those prints of the FWRR in the cabins. I had that as my desktop for like 6 months. Cool TR, so wish I wasn't zonked out when you came by!

We'll meet again... well, for the first time anyway!

Hmmmm.

I was about to post and tell you that there was one in Tarpon Springs (not far), but I checked and it doesn't show up on the Hardee's website.

I thought there was one closer to us.

I must think that because I pass at least a dozen when I drive to Tallahassee. Plus there is one right on the FSU campus.

TCD

They leveled the Tarpon Hardees about 2 years ago to make way for a subway and I believe a chase bank

Rita, Bojangles fast food also has country ham bisquits, and they are GOOD! Only trouble..not many of them in Florida. I've been buying from one on RT. 436 in Altamonte. There is another one being built in/near Winter Garden on RT. 535. That would be the easiest one to get to from the fort. Maybe it's finished, haven't been by that way for weeks.

LOVE the "You are not the boss of me " shirt. My mil is now living with us. I asked her if she would like to go camping, she has never been camping, did not get a 'no'...so we will try soon...might wait for some cooler days. I'm going to try to find that shirt for Annie, she is almost 90. August 27 will be the day.

I've been away for weeks and am trying to catch up...having great fun reading the TRs. Of course it's making me drool wanting to be out camping.

Before I begin our next day, I want to inject a blast from the past with a moment from the day before.

We stop to eat at Sweet Tomatoes before we check in to the Fort. Mama was once again talking about mine and Ed's fatness. I said "Mama, what about Linda?"

She looks down at Linda's waist and says, "Well Linda, you're not AS FAT as them but, ..." Needless to say that brought a laugh to the table. Linda definitely knows she's part of the family now!

Ok, I am giving up on Ed's fireworks pics! He can add later. I want to get this thing done!

Mama and I are up and at it early on the 4th.

1341403093363.jpg

We decide to quietly throw on clothes and head down for the golf cart parade. I took a few pics as we head to the bus stop.

1341403528393.jpg

1341403411256.jpg

1341403344040.jpg

1341403329205.jpg

1341404916070.jpg

1341405000257.jpg

We get off the bus at the Meadows trading post and walk a few steps before we see our first Fiend on the 4th. There comes our favorite bus man, Lou! Poor thing, he just had to endure the hug I force on him that morning! We sat on a bench for a bit, but the sun was coming out strong, so Lou went on a mission to find us some seats. Next thing we know he is emerging from the 600 loop with chairs in hand. Thankfully there were some Fiend sites in the 600 loop that made stealing borrowing chairs easy!

1341407016746.jpg

1341407009025.jpg

1341407004332.jpg

It wasn't long before more Fiends made their way over to watch the parade and socialize a bit.

1341408035083.jpg

1341407923870.jpg

1341408026107.jpg

I know it must have been difficult for Bob, as it was barely the crack of 9:00!

1341408039182.jpg

I'm not going to post the golf cart parade pics. I am however gonna post one of my favorites from the parade! This is where Lou's street cred takes the biggest hits. He melts completely around the cute doggies!

1341408643943.jpg

We then hop on the bus back to the cabin loop and wake Ed and Linda up. As y'all know there is no easy cereal or danish kind of breakfast with my Mama, so we cook up some grits, eggs and bacon. Then we get part of our Pot Luck contribution going on the stove.

Freshly pulled peanuts from our local peanut farmers.

1341418300501.jpg

Ok, so we made enough for the whole campground! :)

1341418286257.jpg

Then we decide that we will ride the bus down to the settlement and let Linda see some of the Fort. Before we leave Mama wants her toe nails polished.

This is when you know your friend is truly a part of your family!

1341420853752.jpg

and the obligatory pics from Crockett's porch!

1341436411739.jpg

1341436416227.jpg

and this one

1341437063024.jpg

We then head back to the cabin to chill for a bit and begin preparing our other Pot Luck offering. Sorry no pics of the Register's sausage and tupelo honey!

Sometime during that day, I think we saw this view:

1341521831686.jpg

1341521838095.jpg

Next up The GG Potluck at Lorna's!

I wanted to say THANK YOU !! to everyone who made me feel at home.. I had a wonderful time and am looking forward to Halloween, It was hot as heck but i LOVED IT...

Thank you Rita, Ed, and Moma D. for inviting me and making me part of your WONDERFUL family.

and Bob... it is not Linda Jo i am still looking for the right doll for you !! lol

Again Thank You All !!

I wanted to say THANK YOU !! to everyone who made me feel at home.. I had a wonderful time and am looking forward to Halloween, It was hot as heck but i LOVED IT...

Thank you Rita, Ed, and Moma D. for inviting me and making me part of your WONDERFUL family.

and Bob... it is not Linda Jo i am still looking for the right doll for you !! lol

Again Thank You All !!

The best place to find Voodoo dolls is in New Orleans. :)

Love this one! 1341420853752.jpg

Your mama was so pleased with her painted toes. That's all we talked about. We compared our toes and she told me she loved my manicure. She has yet to call me a "fat dumbass" but I'm working on it!! :rofl2:

"fat dumbass" would be a high honor! You might be able to earn that by Thanksgiving! She loves all things shiny, glittered or rhinestoned! She would love your last experimental nail job!

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

The Sushi - it just wasn't that good! At least my Tables in Wonderland card saved us money on the Drinks and food.

After the Sushi Bar, I went over to Kona and told them I had reservations for later, but we would be watching the fireworks and might be a little late. They said that wouldn't be a problem. Not long after that, a thunderstorm rolled in, and the lobby and second floor were jam packed with people . I went back and checked into Kona to see if we could get in early. It took a while to get in - which was good because of the "snack" at the Sushi Bar.

IMG_1877.jpg

The sweet bread and spiced butter - YUM!

IMG_1880.jpg

Another shot of the Sticky Wings. Yes, they ARE good.

IMG_1882.jpg

Tuna Oscar. You can see what I meant about the seasoning being heavy enough to overwhelm all the other flavors.

IMG_1883.jpg

OldeKoot's Lo Mein. Nothing was said about it being 'spicy', but I would be willing to bet they used 'Hot Oil' to make it, because it had some 'heat' to it that I could recognize.

IMG_1878.jpg

One of the best waiters we have had at WDW!

About the time we finished at Kona, we were told that the fireworks would begin in about 10 minutes, so we headed toward the beach. Rita and Linda got almost front row seats while I stayed back behind the pool area because OldeKoot didn't feel up to fighting the crowds. I still got some nice shots of the fireworks, I think. This is just a small sample - I took over 200 shots!

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

The EWP makes it's entrance ...

IMG_2009.jpg

The Fireworks reflected on Seven Seas Lagoon - but they also reflected in the pool at the Poly!

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

Lots more available - this is the BEST place to go for watching the fireworks! Two comments - make SURE you have reservations to eat there, or you will NOT get in (we saw cars being turned around at the gate - because they were checking names on a list); the Tables in Wonderland card is a good deal - We saved on all the food and beverages - even the alcoholic ones and we had FREE valet parking! Between the valet parking and all the meals we had on just this one short trip almost paid for the TiW card!

IMG_2009.jpg

We didn't have "almost front row seats," we were in front of all those folks! We managed to work our way down by the water. We were fixing to just plop down on the sand, when some nice gents in some lounge chairs offered us some towels. They were wet, but still appreciated!

That view made all the headache of the crowded lobby and delays worth every minute! It was truly moving! I was proud to be an American!