Hot as Hades at the Fort for the 4th!

I cannot believe that I haven't posted on this thread before, but guess I just was reading it fast or missed it.

Thank you Ed for the pictures of the Pot Luck, we all had a blast, it was great meeting new fiends and spending time with ones we know and LOVE.

I was so glad to meet Linda, you told me I would love her and how could you not, she has the same fiendish sense of humor we all do.

I am glad you all had a good time even thou it was sooooooooooo hot. And it was our pleasure to loan you the cart, I am happy we had it there for you to use.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ed and I are not that great! We are a family and are fortunate to live right here in this little town near each other. If y'all think my Mama is taken care of, you should have met my Grandma Rita Mae!

I really admire, even though you're both BHLs, you and Ed on how you involve your mom, I refuse to call her Oldekoot, in your lives. It's something you don't see or hear much about in today's culture.

Rita, I go away for a couple of days and you have a trip report in progress. I love :heartsmiley: the pictures of your mom drinking the pineapple drink...I am going to have to try one of those!

I really admire, even though you're both BHLs, you and Ed on how you involve your mom, I refuse to call her Oldekoot, in your lives.

It's something you don't see or hear much about in today's culture.

I'm glad that I've met the three of you and can call you friends.

Now if we could only work on that liberal thing.

AMEN!!!!

Ed and I are not that great! We are a family and are fortunate to live right here in this little town near each other. If y'all think my Mama is taken care of, you should have met my Grandma Rita Mae! I guess we learned from our parents how to treat our elders. Mama's memory is starting to slip pretty bad and sometimes it's not easy answering the same question a million times. Ed is with her 24/7 pretty much and I'm gonna give him a lot of credit for his patience and how good he is to her. He takes her to the doctor and grocery shopping and all the day to day stuff. It's really not always fun and games. When she misplaces things she will get very upset and most the time she gets mad and blames him. We are going to enjoy every minute we have with our Mama. She deserves every minute of fun and happiness! Sorry for the downer, but the reality is we are just a normal family with an aging parent doing the best we can! Ok, maybe not so normal! :rofl3:

Rita-

I am really enjoying your trip report!

Thanks for taking the time to write it.

And, Ed, thanks for adding your photos and commentary!

There are a few things I wanted to comment on:

They leveled the Tarpon Hardees about 2 years ago to make way for a subway and I believe a chase bank

Thanks, Dave. I wondered what happened to it. Good to know that we got a Subway and Bank out of the deal. Lord knows we don't have enough of them around these parts.

- this is the BEST place to go for watching the fireworks! Two comments - make SURE you have reservations to eat there, or you will NOT get in (we saw cars being turned around at the gate - because they were checking names on a list)

I wanted to confirm that what Ed says is true- you can't drive to the Poly and park without a dining reservation on July 3rd or 4th. But you can still get there easily from the Fort. Just take the boat to the Contemporary or MK and then hop on the monorail.

some of the sweetest, best-hearted Fiends I know! :heart: Richie and Lorna!

They are the best.

I agree!

We had a bus full of folks trying to get themselves and their families to the settlement to see the fireworks. The bus got down that way in plenty of time, but they could not pull in to let us out because of all the golf carts full of jerks flying out of the settlement area the back way through the bus area. We sat in the bus and could hear the fireworks, but couldn't get out. :argh: We made it to the marina as everyone was piling back out to return to their campers.

You can thank the idiot Fort managers and rangers for the golf carts driving through the bus area. On busy days, they close the normal path to golf carts, and have everyone drive and park behind Pioneer Hall. People who are not planning to stay for the fireworks are forced to drive back that way too. In the meantime, the normal golf cart parking areas were probably empty.

And while you are ranting, I'll bet there were lot of cars parked in lots of places where they shouldn't have been, but they made you move yours, even though you weren't bothering anyone.

TCD

So we are on our last day at the Fort. We go looping for a bit and Linda is shocked to see these wondering around!

1341525620914.jpg

photobucket-6531-1343599020505.jpg

We also saw these ladies down at the marina.

1341437041070.jpg

So we get back to the cabin and we are hungry, of course! This is where we made a really bad choice. We decided to go offsite to the Golden Coral. This was one of the absolute worse restaurant experiences EVAH. I'm not going to go into a lot of details, but there were people grabbing food with their hands, butts in faces, no ice, no english, loud music, no tip and emails to corporate.

I think these pics will give you an idea of the experience.

1341532587052.jpg

1341532723207.jpg

1341532652484.jpg

We will not repeat this!

Thank goodness we had the Ninja and fixings back at the cabin! Mama said I needed a double, Linda said she thought I made at least a triple!

1341535438762.jpg

1341536174058.jpg

293768_484087654952960_1894866101_n.jpg

Mama and Ed were tired, so Linda and I went looping. We ended up down at the Beach for Linda to see the EWP & Wishes for the first time!

523728_484088001619592_366307186_n.jpg

547695_484089524952773_528687822_n.jpg

She was in awe and I think the Magic took hold of her that night!

We then headed down to Bob's and visited with the Fiends. What an awesome way to end the night! Lots of fun with awesome people! :heart: y'all!

The next morning is the sad day. We head down to the 600 and 1700 to say our goodbyes. Dropped the cart off and began the sad ride out of the Fort.

By the time we got to Tallahassee we were hungry again, so we stopped at Bob's favorite the Red Lobster!

1341609382280.jpg

1341609404598.jpg

1341609423940.jpg

1341610870194.jpg

photobucket-2300-1341619257055.jpg

Another hour and we were home and looking forward to our next trip! See y'all in October!

1341532652484.jpg

We will not repeat this!

Thank goodness we had the Ninja and fixings back at the cabin! Mama said I needed a double, Linda said she thought I made at least a triple!

1341535438762.jpg

Whoa, Nellie. Wow, from pic1 to pic2 in one spin of the Ninja. "I'll have what she's having!" Make it a quad.

Great update.

Ed and I are not that great! We are a family and are fortunate to live right here in this little town near each other. If y'all think my Mama is taken care of, you should have met my Grandma Rita Mae! I guess we learned from our parents how to treat our elders. Mama's memory is starting to slip pretty bad and sometimes it's not easy answering the same question a million times. Ed is with her 24/7 pretty much and I'm gonna give him a lot of credit for his patience and how good he is to her. He takes her to the doctor and grocery shopping and all the day to day stuff. It's really not always fun and games. When she misplaces things she will get very upset and most the time she gets mad and blames him. We are going to enjoy every minute we have with our Mama. She deserves every minute of fun and happiness! Sorry for the downer, but the reality is we are just a normal family with an aging parent doing the best we can! Ok, maybe not so normal! :rofl3:

Rita, you are not giving yourselves enough credit!

David's parents were both bedridden for months before they passed away. The three sons elected to care for them at home.

My mother is 85 and my father will be 90 next week. We are very fortunate that she can still drive him to his myriad of doctor's appointments. But we are increasingly taking on the upkeep of their house, both inside and out. Dad's dementia is really bad, and mom doesn't have the ability to put up with his mood swings and temper. When he gets upset he blames her, just like your mother blames Ed.

We live 20 miles away, and it's not easy to hop back and forth trying to keep both households going. Having them live with us is impossible. You can't get into our house without going up a flight of stairs, and Dad can't climb any stairs because of his heart condition. Besides, my mother would drive us stark raving mad in 2 hours.

Anyway, you and Ed are doing a wonderful job! I envy those times when you can truly enjoy your mother and so look forward to meeting you all in October!

It's really not always fun and games.

This is exactly WHY you guys are special! So many families "abandon" their elderly folks or grandparents because it's difficult, you guys grin and bear it.

Another great update. That gooey, caramel looking thingy from Red Lobster has me wiping drool off of my chin.

Great TR, Rita!! I can't wait for October! I miss you too much!!!!

Same here! It's gonna be lots of fun!

She would kill me if she saw that pic, just realized it makes her look kind of drunk. She didn't even finish that one drink!

Rita, you are not giving yourselves enough credit!

David's parents were both bedridden for months before they passed away. The three sons elected to care for them at home.

My mother is 85 and my father will be 90 next week. We are very fortunate that she can still drive him to his myriad of doctor's appointments. But we are increasingly taking on the upkeep of their house, both inside and out. Dad's dementia is really bad, and mom doesn't have the ability to put up with his mood swings and temper. When he gets upset he blames her, just like your mother blames Ed.

We live 20 miles away, and it's not easy to hop back and forth trying to keep both households going. Having them live with us is impossible. You can't get into our house without going up a flight of stairs, and Dad can't climb any stairs because of his heart condition. Besides, my mother would drive us stark raving mad in 2 hours.

Anyway, you and Ed are doing a wonderful job! I envy those times when you can truly enjoy your mother and so look forward to meeting you all in October!

Gwen, I'm looking forward to meeting you as well!

This is exactly WHY you guys are special! So many families "abandon" their elderly folks or grandparents because it's difficult, you guys grin and bear it.

Another great update. That gooey, caramel looking thingy from Red Lobster has me wiping drool off of my chin.

Thanks Stef! The gooey thing was some kind of apple thing. It was good!

Bravo Rita (and Ed)!

Great job on this trip report!

TCD

Thanks! It was fun reliving our short little trip. We actually had more pics than I thought we did.

Great TR Rita and Ed! Looking forward to your next one!

I can't wait til our next one either Aaron!