From War To Peace - Mini TR. Updated 8/5

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story Stef. Tell Jordan thanks for his service to our country and the Fiends are proud. :usa:

Thank you H! It means a lot and I will pass it on.

Thank him from us for being willing to serve our county.

HUGS

Hugs back at ya Annie. Thank you!

What a sweet and amazing story....so glad you are getting to spend some time together! Thanks for sharing!

No, thank you for reading!! :heartsmiley:

Stef, thanks for sharing. Tell Jordan to not be afraid/ashamed to share his feeling. Tell him that those of us that were there before him are here for him.

Gary Flanigan

Life Member

VFW Post 5302

Thank you Gary. I think it's hard for these young tough guys to admit that the things they deal with daily, are mentally taxing. I love hearing his stories, but at the same time I'm cringing. I just want them all to come home to their families.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For some of you long term fiends, you will know who Jordan is. For those who don't, I will give you a bit of back story. Jordan is my son's BF. They met a couple of years ago and hit it off immediatel

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story Stef. Tell Jordan thanks for his service to our country and the Fiends are proud. :usa:

You and the others have given him what he needed and before you know it, he'll be back. We're 100% behind him and all the other heroes.

Stef: Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

When Jordan heads back overseas, maybe we can send him packages to share with his pals or the locals. The people I work with had a drive to collect items to send to a guy in that area (I don't know whether it was Iraq or Afghanistan). Most of the stuff was for the locals. School supplies, little toys from the Dollar store (jump ropes, matchbox-type cars, etc), gently used clothes from the Goodwill, other things we already had that others "without" might appreciate. Here are pictures:

Soldier-boxes.jpg

Soldier-jumprope.jpg

Note the lady holding Talking Elmo. Joyce had purchased Elmo for one of her grandchildren who turned out to already have one.

Soldier-Elmo.jpg

I can't tell you how I felt when I saw Elmo in that picture.

We used those "if it fits, to ships" USPS boxes so the shipping costs weren't too bad.

Was finally able to watch the video. :heart:

If this TR didn't do it, the video did. :heartsmiley:

Stef, your b**tch cred just went to an all time low. As in, about the same size as you. :hah:

But I have faith you will be able to bring it back up. :clint:

Yup, I do. Buddy and I were there, but not to see those people.

Did they have a good turnout? Raise a lot of money for GKTW? Hope so!!

Great Report, Stef!

I think it's awesome how your whole family loaded up and went to welcome Jordan!

Thanks for sharing this.

TCD

Thanks, it was more than worth the short drive.

Stef: Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

Thanks for following along Judy.

I love the idea of sending stuff to the soldiers!

I have mixed emotions on giving to the Afghani's (Is that what you'd call them? :) )

I'm well aware that SOME of them are grateful for our troops, but it seems there are many more who are not so grateful.

EX: They used to hand out pens to the kids, until they've discovered that they are using the "clicker" part of the pens as the activator for IED's.

So the bad guys send out the cute children to collect stuff that they can kill or maim people with. He said it's getting harder and harder to know who you're fighting.

I asked him if he had learned any of the language after hearing it for so long.

He has learned "F***K you" as the kids scream it while throwing rocks, when they're going through a village.

<_<

Without turning this into a political issue, I will only say it's a sad situation that I don't think will produce a "winner"

I just want all of our troops home and safe!! :heart:

A short TR but full of emotion -- first I LOL at GI Jordan, then I got a little (lot) teary at the homecoming. Much admiration for Jordan and all his fellow soldiers.

Thank you!

Welcome to the boards. :wave1:

But I have faith you will be able to bring it back up.

Don't you worry chunky monkey (did I day that out loud) it'll be back. :))

I got all teary eyed just from reading about the homecoming...I'm with Nicki...I couldn't watch the video. But I'm on board and can't wait to hear more!

Thanks Misty!

And OT: how many more days? ;)

Thanks for following along Judy.

I love the idea of sending stuff to the soldiers!

I have mixed emotions on giving to the Afghani's (Is that what you'd call them? :) )

I'm well aware that SOME of them are grateful for our troops, but it seems there are many more who are not so grateful.

EX: They used to hand out pens to the kids, until they've discovered that they are using the "clicker" part of the pens as the activator for IED's.

So the bad guys send out the cute children to collect stuff that they can kill or maim people with. He said it's getting harder and harder to know who you're fighting.

I asked him if he had learned any of the language after hearing it for so long.

He has learned "F***K you" as the kids scream it while throwing rocks, when they're going through a village.

<_<

Without turning this into a political issue, I will only say it's a sad situation that I don't think will produce a "winner"

I just want all of our troops home and safe!! :heart:

I had no idea. Most of us are so insulated over here. We have no clue what the soldiers have to go through on a daily basis just to survive. Just let me know if Jordan and his pals need anything. Halloween candy? Thanksgiving stuff?

I had no idea. Most of us are so insulated over here. We have no clue what the soldiers have to go through on a daily basis just to survive. Just let me know if if Jordan and his pals need anything. Halloween candy? Thanksgiving stuff?

Ditto!

Thanks for sharing! Please send Jordan a thank you from me for serving our country. It's so wonderful that you have included this young man in your family.

I'm still a little teary eyed.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Jordan is so fortunate to be a part of your family! And I'm sure you feel fortunate to have him.

aww damn, no matter how many times you see them come home, I get misty eyes everytime, your right Steph, dont dwell on the departure, just love the hell out of him while he is here, that will carry him back safe and sound :heart:

Awesome! Hope you have a wonderful time with him while he is home. Tell him thanks for his service and have a super leave!

Thank you all!

I am passing on the thanks to Jordan. He needs all the love he can get while he's here.

We feel very lucky to have him in our family!

So awesome! Glad he is home for awhile and that y'all can spend some time together!

Thank you for reading and welcome to the boards :wave1:

Jordan left last night for a quick trip to CT with his grandmother to see some extended family. Getting back on a plane was one of the last things he wanted to do, but who can say no to Grandma?

He will be back tomorrow morning and I will try to get some more pictures of fun times.

Thanks for sharing this story Stef! I got a bit choked up there for a second. My family has been very lucky to have my brothers come home each time they have gone off to war also. You can never take it for granted. The back story made me feel nothing but love and respect for your family too. It was great to see him come home and I will pray he returns home each and every time he ships out and into harms way.

My family has been very lucky to have my brothers come home each time they have gone off to war also.

Thanks Aaron, and God bless your brothers for serving.

Hearing his stories gives me a whole new appreciation for the things we have and reminds me not to worry about petty, day to day stuff.

Ok folks, dry your eyes and grab your boots.

If you can't stand the mud, then stay out of the pond!

The first time we met Jordan was at Ocean Pond Mud Bogs, in Old Town, Florida. Not to be confused with Old Town in Kissimmee, Florida.

Old Town in Kissimmee = Classic cars, carnival rides and cobblestone streets

Old Town, FL = 4 wheel drives, mud bogs and dirt roads

It was only fitting to plan a trip up to Dixie County, when Jordan came home. It was obviously meant to be, as the next event was scheduled for August 4th & 5th!

Thank You Mud Gods!

All the toys made their way into the driveway in preparation for the weekend. The boys would gather here each night to oil, lube, tighten and even wash everything.

Of course! It makes perfect sense to get everything sparkling clean before we bury it in black muck.

OceanPondAug2012001.jpg

OceanPondAug2012003.jpg

OceanPondAug2012004.jpg

I did the Mom prep, including buying and preparing lunch (and dessert)

Friday night ended with the boys covered in gas & grease. Me, covered in flour and dish suds.

Saturday morning, we're up early, adamant for a 7:30 departure. I finished up my duties and the boys loaded the toys.

OceanPondAug2012006.jpg

OceanPondAug2012005.jpg

Next stop: The gas station, to drain our bank accounts. We would meet Ryan and his GF Allison, there.

Jordan, Nathen and Mike.

OceanPondAug2012007.jpg

We are parked on the side of Hwy 200, it's the only place we can fit, and waiting for Ryan.

You know those types of people who are always late? ALWAYS?

That's Ryan. He arrived at 8:15.

OceanPondAug2012008.jpg

OceanPondAug2012009.jpg

OceanPondAug2012010.jpg

Finally we head north towards Dixie County. Does anyone here remember the song "Convoy?" That was the tune playing in my head.

Here we are going through the "quaint" little town of Chiefland.

OceanPondAug2012011.jpg

It takes about 1 hour & 15 minutes to get to the mud hole when towing all the toys. Not a bad ride. Through the Goethe Forest and straight up US 19.

When you take your first turn off of US 19, it gets a bit different.

OceanPondAug2012013.jpg

Not bad, we're still on pavement.

And then we take a left.

OceanPondAug2012014.jpg

As we drive deeper into the woods, the dust is flying and I swear I'm hearing banjos.

OceanPondAug2012015.jpg

Our rule for these types of convoys is that everyone stays together! Always look in your rear view mirror and make sure no one has broke down, blew a tire or made any other type of pit stop.whistling.gif

I asked Trevor to hang back a bit. I had to make a quick pit stop.

We caught up with them at the gate.

OceanPondAug2012016.jpg

OceanPondAug2012017.jpg

Have you ever seen the show "What Not To Wear?"

Stacy and Clinton have never been to Old Town.

OceanPondAug2012018.jpg

We drive to our favorite spot, we get backed in and Ryan wins an award!

The FPTGSWNEIM award. For those unfamiliar, it's the First Person To Get Stuck While Not Even In The Mud award. :hah:

OceanPondAug2012019.jpg

OceanPondAug2012020.jpg

Poor kid, he'll never live that down.

Next up: We unload the beasts and get down and dirty.

Look Dad, I'm taller than you.

OceanPondAug2012001.jpg

I'd rather be under the hood than in the hood.

OceanPondAug2012003.jpg

I'm pretty sure I left the engine in here.

OceanPondAug2012004.jpg

Damn Palm, I could have been closer to the house.

OceanPondAug2012006.jpg

I got mo tires than you!

OceanPondAug2012005.jpg

SKIN!

OceanPondAug2012007.jpg

Convertables!

OceanPondAug2012009.jpg

ICE?

OceanPondAug2012010.jpg

Did they raise the lights for you?

OceanPondAug2012011.jpg

Cool

OceanPondAug2012013.jpg

Why not right?

OceanPondAug2012014.jpg

Squeel like a ....... neva mind.

OceanPondAug2012015.jpg

It's a Ford.

OceanPondAug2012019.jpg

OceanPondAug2012020.jpg

One last tiny update for the night. This one is especially for my friend Genia.

Some of you may have wondered why I had to stop in the middle of nowhere and "take care of business"

Well, I didn't HAVE to, but

#1, I really had to go now and was afraid there would be a line of trucks to get in, further adding undue stress on my bladder.

# 2, I've been to this place before, the "facilities" leave a lot to be desired.

Genia may have a slight fascination with port-a-johns, but she may change her opinion of them when she sees how it's done in Dixie county.

OceanPondAug2012042.jpg

Needless to say, we watered a particular tree all day long.