Hot Fun in the Summertime-TCD's August 2012 TR

TCD, how'd you like that site? That's where we spent the week for the 4th. Loved it. And the lime tree.

That is a great site. Don't tell anyone about it.

And, that is not a lime tree- those are oranges- they start out small and green. You aren't from Florida originally, are you?

I have wondered about this rule. Once I had an ice water in a solo cup and the driver had me throw it away, so I was assuming it was a no drinks at all on the bus rule. Nice to know I can have my mug. I do believe there are rules for a reason, so I wasn't mad when he had me get rid of it, but it was 800 degrees out, so I was a little uncomfortable.

The rule is not consistenly enforced. I had to toss three almost full frozen cokes once at Hollywood Studios. But, I have gotten on a bus with a beer at the Fort before. I see a lot of folks bring drinks on the buses at the Fort when boarding at the Settlement.

Ever since the univeral refillable mugs have come along, I have seen lots of them on the buses. I was surprised also to find that you can carry these right through security and in to the parks. I always assumed that they would make you dump them out at the bag checks, but they don't.

The rule is no drinking, eating, or smoking on board. However some drivers, like me, will allow drinks on board if they have a cover or if it's just water in an uncovered cup.

You're driver took it to the max which they are at liberty to do.

The reason for the rule, and it's a good rule, is to keep the bus as clean as possible for the next batch of riders.

Drivers don't have time to go back and clean up after each run. We're not custodial and we need to load and go.

What's left behind is what the next group of riders will have to deal with. If the rule wasn't enforced, after 18 hours of operation, the bus would be a mess.

So it's not so much because of you, it's a cumulative thing.

Yep, there are signs posted on the buses saying no eating, drinking or smoking, and there is also a taped announcement that says the same.

But, I always see people eating and drinking on the buses.

I think if he bungee-corded the trailer passengers, they would be OK....NOT. If that ain't a redneck tow wagon, I don't know what is. I'm thinking it was for the mother-in-law. Oh, yeah. That's the ticket.

You must have a short mother in law.

TCD

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated. For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're n

I sure it has nothing to do with Uranus, BM, hanging chad, or slow movements down a canal. It has to do with the lack of beer, doesn't it?

With statements like that, I'm beginning to doubt that you actually know Bobby.

Time to crank this thing back up.

It's still Friday night.

We are hanging out at the Fort, the girls just had s'mores, and we are down at Trail's End for some drinks.

I had read here on ff.net that the late Hoop Dee Doo Shows had been cancelled on Wednesday and Thursday nights this week.

But what about the 9:30 Friday show?

This was Friday night, and it was about 9:45 pm.

The back doors of Pioneer Hall were open.

Music was playing.

The show was going on.

But, there were a lot of empty tables, some of which you can see here:

184.jpg

We did some more looping after this, and then went back to the camper to get ready to head over to the MK.

The MK was closing at 11 tonight, but then there would be EMH's until 2 am.

We were all over that.

Since Trail's End now is experimenting with late night take out, we stopped by there after 11 for a look.

This is the menu:

185.jpg

As far as I know, nobody has posted a photo or any information about the snacks and dessert part of that menu.

Do you see the last item listed there?

It says soft serve ice cream.

I didn't notice it either.

But Twin #1 did.

She said we needed to try that sometime.

But not tonight.

We were on our way to the MK.

There was a bit of a line of folks waiting for a boat.

But one showed up soon enough.

Not the boat I wanted to see.

Look:

186.jpg

Yes, that is one of the slow boats.

And, the boat captain did not know how to drive. Or else he was drunk. One or the other.

Because he SLAMMED the boat into the dock.

The whole dock shook!

He had to back up and try again:

188.jpg

This boat was full of people. All of whom looked very anxious to get off of that thing:

189.jpg

If you look carefully in the background of those last two photos, you will see that there was a real boat waiting for this one to leave so it could dock.

When I saw it, I thought about letting everyone behind us go ahead, and we would just wait for the real boat.

It turns out I didn't need to make that decision.

The slow boat up and left with no passengers.

I have no idea what that was all about.

But, I'm glad that we got to ride on the real boat.

We made it to MK around 11:30-ish.

I now know that fellow Fiend Seals was there at the MK waiting to go back to the Fort.

Fiends are everywhere!

I was surprised that no one asked for our KTTW cards to enter the park.

I guess they let anyone in to EMH's now.

They do make you show the KTTW cards to ride the rides, but not to get into the park. It didn't always used to be that way. They used to make you show your card to get in one the park was closed.

I guess they are happy to let non-resort guests horn in on this perk in hopes that they can separate them from some of their money at a gift shop or restaurant.

We headed over to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad first. I have not been on it since its recent refurb. The girls have. Here we go:

192.jpg

Aside from the queue being reconfigured a bit and them cleaning up the mess in the falling rock room, I didn't notice anything different about the ride. Maybe it was a little smoother.

Next stop was going to be the Haunted Mansion. When we got there, though, the line was all the way back to where you first enter the queue. The posted wait time said ten minutes, but that line said otherwise. We hung back for a minute to see if the line of folks would clear.

While waiting, I noticed this giant tarp had been erected around the Yankee Trader gift shop. It is dark, but I think you can get the idea:

193.jpg

194.jpg

I hadn't heard about this.

This was a big wall.

This sign says it is just for a refurb of the gift shop:

195.jpg

But since there is a big construction project going on right behind the gift shop, I wonder if there is something more going on here?

The line at Haunted Mansion actually got longer as we waited, although they never did change the posted wait time.

Something was going on there.

We decided to move on.

We decided to go see what we can see in the part of the new Fantasyland area that was now open.

Along the way, we stopped for ice cream:

196.jpg

You can get a good look at the girls' pins in that photo. As I mentioned earlier, they really enjoyed pin trading on this trip.

After the ice cream, we headed back toward the double Dumbo. I had not been here since the second Dumbo and the Casey Jr. play area opened. The twins had, but not me.

The Casey Jr. area looks like a ton of fun. But, kids aren't just going to get splashed with a little water here-they are going to get soaked! :

197.jpg

199.jpg

200.jpg

Dumbo doesn't get a lot of customers at 1 am, so the ride was a walk on for us.

Even though it wasn't busy, they had both spinners going, and had guests walk in the new building where the interactive play room is located. The play area was closed off with curtains, but we could still take a peek:

203.jpg

As we were peeking, a manager came by and the girls pin traded with him. That led to a nice conversation about the new play room and how things work. The manager showed us one of the pagers that they issue to guests waiting in the room. They look like what you might be given at a restaurant, but they have a circus ticket design. When the pager goes off, it is the voice of Timothy the Mouse telling you that it is time for your ride. Kind of cool. I am not convinced, however, that this idea is going to work on super busy days. Time will tell.

We got to ride on the new Dumbo:

205.jpg

209.jpg

After the first ride, they announced if we wanted to ride again, to stay put. So we did. We did that three times.

I am not sure I can pinpoint exactly what they did different here, but the lighting and details seem to be much improved over the old ride:

213.jpg

My camera says that last photo was taken at 1:20 am. The MK closed at 2. That is the last photo I have from Friday night, so that means we left the park and headed back to the Fort then.

I had earlier thought about hitting the hot tub again before bed. But, I was too tired for that.

We just headed back to the camper and dropped. It was about 2 am when we finally hit the hay on Friday night.

We had done AK rope drop that morning. The plan for Saturday was to sleep in a bit. Well, that was the plan for the girls anyway.

I had something else in mind for me.

TCD

Very nice update!!! I now wish I had remembered about Storybook area when we were ate late EMH at MK,oh well, next time!

Definitely check it out the next time you're there for an EMH. It is very cool to see at night. And, if you want to ride Dumbo with no wait, this is your chance.

Um... My dh wears suspenders.

OK, I missed him. So, there's Marty's husband and this guy. There is probably someone else I'm missing too.

Wow, a teaser in a TCD trip report. That is so unlike you. :rofl2:

I know.

Sorry, it is an annoying habit.

To make it up to you, I'm going to go ahead and post another update today.

And I won't put a cliffhanger in that one.

You got to ride Dumbo three times in a row.... I've got to do late EMH at MK!

Love the splash and play area... but I don't have little kids either!

Hey, we could have probably ridden 20 times in a row. There weren't many Dumbo fans at 1 am.

That splash zone looks like a lot of fun, but I would hate it if I had young ones. They are surely going to get soaked, and then what?

TCD

So as to not keep you all in suspense, let's go ahead and move along to Saturday morning, August 11th.

The girls wanted to sleep in.

So did I.

We had been up until 2 am, after all.

So, I slept until 7.

I hit the showers, made some coffee, and got ready to head out on this morning's mission.

Remember that crane that we saw yesterday morning?

Well, I needed to go and check on that.

I wanted the sun to be up a bit before heading that way.

So, at 7:31 am, I headed out the back of my site toward the canal next to the 1500 loop:

215.jpg

Here we are along that canal. It is now 7:33 am. I am noting the time for a reason:

216.jpg

We are heading over to take a look at the new Four Seasons hotel which is being built right next to the Fort.

We will just stroll along the canal until we get there.

But first, I see something new in the canal. It looks like a big pipe:

217.jpg

Yes, it sure is a pipe:

219.jpg

What is a pipe doing in the canal?

Maybe it just floated here from somewhere?

No, it has been professionally installed:

220.jpg

And, it is securely anchored to the canal bank:

221.jpg

I tried to figure out what that pipe is doing there, but I have no clue. Somebody put it there for some purpose.

The blazing sun was steadily making its way up through the trees, and I wanted to get to where I was going and back before it started to beat down on things:

222.jpg

You can see how the sun is already hitting the tops of the trees around the curve of the canal:

223.jpg

Also note how low the water level is in this canal. Normally, the water is all the way up to where you see the edge of the grass and the steep drop. It's odd that the water is so low, as we have had plenty of rain lately:

225.jpg

Now we are walking past the back of the 1800 loop. Check out how these folks set up their tent way back away from their pad to take advantage of the canal view:

230.jpg

From right here, this is the view looking down the canal. There is one of those cranes sticking out from behind the trees:

232.jpg

Just a few steps from here, there is another pipe crossing the canal:

233.jpg

It looks like this one was installed the same way as the other:

234.jpg

Ugh, look what I saw just past there:

236.jpg

A few months ago, this would have been a photo showing trees and blue sky reflecting on the placid waters of this quiet canal. Now look at it:

237.jpg

Here's a photo I call Two Cranes and a Building:

238.jpg

They have really gone to town since the last time I was out this way in March:

240.jpg

At 7:43 am, I arrived at the gate that marks the boundary of the Fort Wilderness Resort:

241.jpg

The old No Pets Beyond This Point sign is right where it has always been:

242.jpg

Why do I mention the time?

Because even though I was walking slowly and stopping to take photos, this gate is less than 10 minutes from my campsite in the 1500 loop. It is even closer to the 1600 and 1800 loops.

You used to be able to stand at that gate and look at a beautiful view of a small bridge crossing the canal and a lush golf course beyond it.

Well, times have changed.

This is what you see now:

244.jpg

243.jpg

I do not like.

But, I needed to take a closer look.

Even a stout fellow like me can squeeze through the gate opening.

The sign says no pets beyond this point.

It doesn't say a thing about people.

The last time I was out this way this early, I snapped a photo of my shadow and liked how tall and thin it was. So I did the same. I don't think my shadow looks as thin, Too many Mickey bars on the cruise:

245.jpg

This is the most recent photo in the TCD sunrise over series. This one is called Sunrise Over Ugly Abomination:

246.jpg

The Osprey Ridge golf course, which is the closer of the two that used to be over this way, is still in operation. This is the Second Hole:

247.jpg

Here's a good look at how things stand with the new hotel as of August 11:

249.jpg

This is what it is going to look like when finished:

Four-Seasons-Hotels-and-Resorts-1.jpg

This is how things looked in March:

Image2726-1.jpg

They have come a long way since then:

250.jpg

That photo was taken from the bridge.

This is a look back down the canal toward the Fort from that bridge:

251.jpg

We will continue on for a closer look in the next post, and I run into a few golfers.

TCD

Yes, I tweet occasionally, when I feel the urge. Mostly I just keep up with stuff, like Nascar, BBS, ZBB and Jimmie.

Can you believe that I've NEVER rode Dumbo? Maybe I'll make an exception at EMH one evening. I love the shot of Twin #1 at the bottom of the ride, very cool perspective.

I would say I hate that stupid damn building, but I think I've mentioned that before. Pretty soon we can start ranting and raving over the one to be built at River Country. :banghead:

They should just go ahead and rename the campground to Fort Usedtobewilderness.

You're still as handsome as ever, even if your shadow didn't do you justice. ;)

I love the title of your last sunrise photo. Though I agree about the view being better before... at least Disney puts thought into the look of the hotel. It could be sunrise over hideously ugly what were they thinking abomination.

I like your photo title. Very descriptive.

Yes, I tweet occasionally, when I feel the urge. Mostly I just keep up with stuff, like Nascar, BBS, ZBB and Jimmie.

Can you believe that I've NEVER rode Dumbo? Maybe I'll make an exception at EMH one evening. I love the shot of Twin #1 at the bottom of the ride, very cool perspective.

I would say I hate that stupid damn building, but I think I've mentioned that before. Pretty soon we can start ranting and raving over the one to be built at River Country. :banghead:

They should just go ahead and rename the campground to Fort Usedtobewilderness.

You're still as handsome as ever, even if your shadow didn't do you justice. ;)

No, I can't believe you never rode Dumbo. Not even with Nathen? That damned darned dame (for Todd) durn ride used to be the death of me back in the day. For some reason I have yet to understand my kids insisted on riding that stupid elephant every time. The line was murder. Even for EMH's. Doubling the capacity has really helped the situation. Now that the line isn't bad, I have to admit that flying around in an elephant is kind of cool.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who hates that stupid building. I was beginning to think I'm the only one who cares.

That thing is huge. But at least it will siphon off some of the freeloaders that use the Fort's pool. I can't imagine that security at a Four Seasons resort is any tighter than the security at the Fort. Right?

Right!

I'm sure.

I have a little plan for this once it opens- I am going to lead expeditions from the Fort to there- it's only a ten minute walk.

I heard they are going to have a lazy river.

And probably nice towels too.

Hey Y'all: Load up the charcoal and hot dogs and follow me!

TCD

That is a great site. Don't tell anyone about it.

And, that is not a lime tree- those are oranges- they start out small and green. You aren't from Florida originally, are you?

I am glad y'all enjoy my campsite so much. Just be sure that it is waiting for me if i ever get back there again. (Sorry, it's a pity party kind of day here.)

If I am remembering correctly, we brought one of those oranges home to wait for it to ripen. When we ate it, it was not yummy. We will not do that again.

I am glad y'all enjoy my campsite so much. Just be sure that it is waiting for me if i ever get back there again. (Sorry, it's a pity party kind of day here.)

If I am remembering correctly, we brought one of those oranges home to wait for it to ripen. When we ate it, it was not yummy. We will not do that again.

Marty-

When-not if-but when- you make it back to the Fort, I will gladly yield any claim to site 1506 to the lady from South Carolina.

I don't think you can pick oranges and hope that they ripen later-it doesn't work that way.

TCD

So here's something interesting to look at while I work on the next update-

A while back in this report, FWG mentioned that the flag code pertaining to flying flags at half-staff is often abused.

Lou said Disney only flies flags at half-staff when there is a Presidential order to do so.

That got me to thinking- haven't I seen flags at half-staff at WDW before?

Yes, I have.

This is a photo from October 8, 2011 from the entrance of Hollywood Studios:

100_3381.jpg

When I saw this, I asked a castmember why the flags were at half-staff. He said it was to honor Steve Jobs, who had died on October 5.

I'm pretty sure the President did not order flags to be flown at half-staff to honor Mr. Jobs.

TCD

Per http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html, which tracks Flag Code violations in the news:

"October 6, 2011. In memory of Steve Jobs, US flags were hung at half-staff at Apple headquarters and Disney World. Those two displays are not in accordance with the Flag Code. However, at Microsoft's headquarters, the US flag flew at full-staff, and the Microsoft corporate flag flew at half staff."

One of the mornings when I was out buzzing around on our cart, I said to myself, I bet TCD is off on one of his investigative expeditions. And I was right!

My son noticed those cranes one day while we were there, and I told him about what I'd seen in your previous TR about them.

Normally, I enjoy your TR's immensely - your photos always have a way of bringing a smile to my face, and are peaceful in a way. These are making me very angry.

Damn the man and his almighty dollar!

Per http://www.ushistory...y/flagetiq.html, which tracks Flag Code violations in the news:

"October 6, 2011. In memory of Steve Jobs, US flags were hung at half-staff at Apple headquarters and Disney World. Those two displays are not in accordance with the Flag Code. However, at Microsoft's headquarters, the US flag flew at full-staff, and the Microsoft corporate flag flew at half staff."

Wow, is there a website for everything? My only disagreement with what this site says is that it was definitely Saturday, October 8 when I took that photo. There is a TCD trip report that goes with it, and those are always 100% accurate.

So, FWG was right- lots of people-including the WDW IM's do not properly follow the flag code.

One of the mornings when I was out buzzing around on our cart, I said to myself, I bet TCD is off on one of his investigative expeditions. And I was right!

My son noticed those cranes one day while we were there, and I told him about what I'd seen in your previous TR about them.

Normally, I enjoy your TR's immensely - your photos always have a way of bringing a smile to my face, and are peaceful in a way. These are making me very angry.

Damn the man and his almighty dollar!

Preach it sister!

Putting that resort there to tower over the Fort is bad.

And, my fear is that we will be able to see it from the Fort, and that will be really bad.

TCD

Putting that resort there to tower over the Fort is bad.

And, my fear is that we will be able to see it from the Fort, and that will be really bad.

I agree with you. But in the "glass half full" frame of mind...let's remember that at one time early in the rumor phase of this project, there was speculation that the hotel would be developed on the Bay Lake shoreline just east of the Fort. So...it could be worse. We could have someday stood on Clementines Beach and turned one way to see the monstrous Four Seasons, and turned the other way to see the Fort DVC.

Alright good sir, I am typically a go with the flow guy, but I call BS on this statement. It is theoretically impossible to have too many :)

By golly, you are right.

Especially when they are "free."

I can't blame the Mickey bars then.

Maybe I should have done a little more jogging.

OK, OK, maybe I should have done some jogging.

I agree with you. But in the "glass half full" frame of mind...let's remember that at one time early in the rumor phase of this project, there was speculation that the hotel would be developed on the Bay Lake shoreline just east of the Fort. So...it could be worse. We could have someday stood on Clementines Beach and turned one way to see the monstrous Four Seasons, and turned the other way to see the Fort DVC.

Yes, you are right about that.

But, I'll tell you what I think the evil plan is- Disney didn't sell that land on Bay Lake because they are going to develop it some day.

Granted, I will probably be in the big Fort in the sky before that ever comes to pass, but you youngsters mark my words.

Oh, and one minor correction- scratch standing on Clementine's beach- it's going to be underneath one of those DVC buildings.

TCD

Good point. I do try to find the bright side, when I can. Plus there is another pool for me to pull a Caddyshack day on.

Now the question is, which side of the Fort will I need to stay on to avoid viewing the towering 4 Seasons or DVC?

Good point. I do try to find the bright side, when I can. Plus there is another pool for me to pull a Caddyshack day on.

Now the question is, which side of the Fort will I need to stay on to avoid viewing the towering 4 Seasons or DVC?

The 3000 loop is guaranteed to only have views of swaying palms, chocolate fountains and beer kegs. Oh, and the 25 foot tall neon Snarky.