Hot Fun in the Summertime-TCD's August 2012 TR

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated.

For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're not getting on my bus anyway.

And if it's past morning, if you do have a covered RSC and I suspect it's alcohol and you tell me it is, you'll have to get rid of it.

Unless you're prepared to give me an equal job after I get fired for violating the "open container law", I'm going by the book.

The law is, no open containers with an alcoholic beverage in it, camouflaged or otherwise, can be in the vehicle.

And yes, I'm a realist and know that all drivers are different, and that they may not enforce the rules, but I do. All good drivers will. So you'll have to wait until one of those other drivers comes along to give you a ride with your adult beverage in the Red Solo cup.

I would be the one who made the solo cup reference. Honestly I was just teasing TCD, and I've never brought a solo cup full of beer on a Disney bus, nor would I suggest anyone else do so. As a matter of fact, when we were there last week, we were leaving the Poly one night, headed back to the fort. My husband suggested we get "one for the road", since we had to hop a monorail and then a boat, and it would be a nice way to enjoy the boat ride at night. I shot him down and told him I didn't think that was a very good idea. Also, knowing what adult beverages cost at the resorts, I didn't want to have to chug it or dump it.

The only place in WDW where I 'byob" (other than bottled water) are the resort pools, and to the beach to see the fireworks at the fort.

For the record, I have always shown WDW bus drivers, boat captains, monorail station guides, etc. the utmost respect, and go out of my way to thank them for their services. It is too bad the comapny doesn't value you more. Where would they be without you?

FP4

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated. For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're n

I sure it has nothing to do with Uranus, BM, hanging chad, or slow movements down a canal. It has to do with the lack of beer, doesn't it?

With statements like that, I'm beginning to doubt that you actually know Bobby.

TCD........I am so disappointed to hear you went on a bike ride when I was at the fort and had my bike too! I would have loved to have gone on a guided TCD exploration mission. I would even pay admission! And I can hang when it comes to biking. That is how I have transported my kids to school every day for the past 7 years. We don't get a bus and the "car line" is ridiculous. So, we bike 3 miles round-trip every day, rain or shine.

Next time!

FP4

I knew you had another TR loaded in the chamber ready to fire and as usual I'm late to the party but I'm all caught up now. I've also been living under a rock for some time. I had no idea that they were going to put another DVC resort (how many will this make, 20?) in our beloved fort and now that I see where they're putting it, Chris is not impressed (making the McKayla face). I only recently learned that they were relocating the stables. It's a shame Disney is putting the almighty dollar above mother nature. They already spoiled our view of MK from the marina now they're going to spoil our view of the marina.

Boy, would I love to see a photo of you doing the McKayla face!

Don't worry about losing the view from the Fort marina.

Because from what I've seen, we aren't going to have a marina any more.

You know that crappy dock where they keep the lake patrol boats next to River Country?

That is in the way of the new resort.

So, what do you think they will do?

Here's what: move that operation over to the current Fort dock.

And, build a new marina for the DVC people. They will have a bus circle out front of their resort kind of where the old River Country pavilion is now. That is where we will have to go to catch buses. The marina will be relocated down at the lake from this area. We will share with the DVC folks.

You wouldn't be breaking the" open container law" and he would have to let you on, unless you were visibly intoxicated.

For those of you with the Red Solo Cups, unless you have a cover on it, you're not getting on my bus anyway.

And if it's past morning, if you do have a covered RSC and I suspect it's alcohol and you tell me it is, you'll have to get rid of it.

Unless you're prepared to give me an equal job after I get fired for violating the "open container law", I'm going by the book.

The law is, no open containers with an alcoholic beverage in it, camouflaged or otherwise, can be in the vehicle.

And yes, I'm a realist and know that all drivers are different, and that they may not enforce the rules, but I do. All good drivers will. So you'll have to wait until one of those other drivers comes along to give you a ride with your adult beverage in the Red Solo cup.

Do you let people on your bus with refillable mugs in their hands?

Do you ask them what is in them?

How do you suppose they got one of the many Fort Wilderness deer to walk on the wet cement at the Wilderness Lodge?

Disney magic?

Loved your morning exploration!!!!!

Thanks. It is always fun.

And, remember, this is just the first morning of this trip.

Love the report and pictures! Thanks for sharing.

And thanks to you for reading.

Fritz looks just so lovable.

Love the sunrise shots... as always but the tower windows reflecting on the water was great.

Durn castmember.... kept us from getting a up close and personal tour...

Oh, I've been down that path before.

Not a lot to see down there.

It's kind of junky.

I'll get some photos on a future trip.

Enjoyed that installment!

I've always looked at the Contemporary as kind of out dated and shabby, in comparison to the newer resorts. The photos you got through the brush make it look great, almost golden. Well done sir.

Looks like Fritz is not only unimpressed, he's kinda giving you the stink eye. :))

BTW, I forgot to ask you before: I guess you didn't have an evil CM yell at you for bike riding down the dirt road, beside Bay Lake?

I don't think the Contemporary looks shabby at all. They have kept it up pretty nicely, considering it's 40 years old.

Nope, no castmembers yelled at me. But I didn't see any. I think it's OK to ride a bike where I was. I came out from the 300 loop- the sign that says no bikes is by the 100 loop. What am I, a mindreader?

I would be the one who made the solo cup reference. Honestly I was just teasing TCD, and I've never brought a solo cup full of beer on a Disney bus, nor would I suggest anyone else do so. As a matter of fact, when we were there last week, we were leaving the Poly one night, headed back to the fort. My husband suggested we get "one for the road", since we had to hop a monorail and then a boat, and it would be a nice way to enjoy the boat ride at night. I shot him down and told him I didn't think that was a very good idea. Also, knowing what adult beverages cost at the resorts, I didn't want to have to chug it or dump it.

The only place in WDW where I 'byob" (other than bottled water) are the resort pools, and to the beach to see the fireworks at the fort.

For the record, I have always shown WDW bus drivers, boat captains, monorail station guides, etc. the utmost respect, and go out of my way to thank them for their services. It is too bad the comapny doesn't value you more. Where would they be without you?

FP4

Wow.

What a kiss up.

(and now it is me who is just kidding)

TCD........I am so disappointed to hear you went on a bike ride when I was at the fort and had my bike too! I would have loved to have gone on a guided TCD exploration mission. I would even pay admission! And I can hang when it comes to biking. That is how I have transported my kids to school every day for the past 7 years. We don't get a bus and the "car line" is ridiculous. So, we bike 3 miles round-trip every day, rain or shine.

Next time!

FP4

3 miles round trip. Good for you! And good for your boys!

Sorry, I didn't know you had your bike with you. You can definitely see some interesting stuff on your bike. Next time for sure.

TCD

From the barn, I headed back toward camp.

I headed up Fort Wilderness Trail, because I wanted to check on the 600 loop and the 800 loop, based on some things I had seen the night before.

Half of the 600 loop (the old half) was empty. It looked like they were doing some landscaping in there recently:

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

Even site 617, my favorite site in all the Fort, was empty:

109.jpg

The 800 loop was empty too.

Every single site.

Empty.

I was on the bike and didn't take any photos.

But that loop was empty.

I made it back to my site at about 7:30. The sun came up there at about 7:38. I call this photo sunrise over site 1507:

110.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, our plan was to go to AK this morning for what passes for rope drop these days. AK used to open earlier than the other parks, but today it wasn't opening until 9. The girls asked me to wake them at 8, so I did. They got ready, and we were on our way by 8:15. We drove there. That's how we do rope drops (except MK). I don't trust the buses to get us there on time.

We made it into AK just before 9 and headed to Expedition Everest. I grabbed Fastpasses, and we got in line.

On the way to meet the yeti, Twin #1 rang as many of these bells as she could:

111.jpg

As always lately, this part of the queue was closed:

112.jpg

There was no line to speak of, and we were on the loading platform in no time flat.

When we got there, I noticed something out of place. The themeing of this attraction is incredible- you fell like you are at a train station in the hills of Nepal. So, this green industrial looking building kind of stood out like a sore thumb:

115.jpg

I assume that is the shed they keep the ride vehicles in. You used to not be able to see it from the loading platform.

It appears that for some reason they have cut back all the bamboo around here:

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

I'm sure this was done for good reason, but it doesn't look good.

Also, they have really let the maitenance of this ride go. This track was broken like this the last time we were here, which was a couple of months ago. And come to think of it, it was broken before that too. You would think they would have fixed it by now :

119.jpg

The bird on a stick and yeti were also still broken, but we enjoyed the ride.

Here are the twins at the end:

120.jpg

And here's a pirate copy of our official ride photo:

121.jpg

From EE, we popped over to the Dinosaur Institute. It's a research facility they have over there in AK.

They have real skeletons in there and everything:

123.jpg

The same thing that happened to us last time we visited here happened again. This scientist did something to our time rover even though Mrs. Huxtable told him not to, and we ended up in a meteor shower and almost getting eaten:

125.jpg

I am really surprised that guy hasn't been fired yet.

Here's a pirate copy of our Dinosaur ride photo:

126.jpg

Yes I am clowning around. The twins are not. This ride really freaks them out.

If you ever want to have some fun, look at other people's official ride photos. Like this family's:

127.jpg

They all did a good job there.

Well almost all. Check out Granny in the back row. She did not get the memo.

I like how the Disney Imagineers had the brilliant idea to make Dinoland look like a cheap amusement park. They saved a lot of money that way:

128.jpg

They put some Dinosaurs on this extra Dumbo ride, and like magic, they have an attraction:

129.jpg

This ride, Primeval Whirl, used to be a lot more fun than it is now. You used to spin like crazy and go up and down a roller coaster track. The whole time, it would feel like your car was going to fly off the track. It turns out that feeling was justified. Now, they have all kinds of brakes and stops installed, and the ride really isn't much fun at all:

130.jpg

After Dinosaur, our EE Fastpasses were almost ready. But first, I stopped by Kali River Rapids for Fastpasses Check out this Brazilian Tour Guide with his handfuls of room keys:

131.jpg

After I got the Kali Fastpasses, we rode EE again.

Then we headed over to see Festival of the Lion King.

I had my first big fail of the trip on the way there. As we walked along, I almost ran into the guy in front of me when he stopped short for no apparent reason. After I almost bumped him, I took a look at him and noticed something really odd. The dude had on a big ankle monitor. It was a small rectangular box on a big black strap. I really wanted to get a photo of it, but the guy kept looking at me. Normally I wouldn't let that stop me from taking a photo, but this guy could have been a murderer or something. You never know.

On our way in to the theater, the girls met Pocahontas:

133.jpg

134.jpg

Even though they are 17, the girls still like talking to the face characters. It is kind of funny how they all stay in character. In the photos above, Pocahontas was asking the girls where they got their clothes. One of the Twins' shirts was from Target, and Pocahontas asked her which village tha was in, as she had not heard of it.

Here are the girls with Pocahontas:

135.jpg

We enjoyed the Festival of the Lion King show, like always. Here you can see the tumble monkeys finishing their performance:

139.jpg

It was funny watching them right after having seen the Summer Olympics. These guys are pretty good. It turns out, according to a link Monique posted here on ff.net, that one of them earned a Bronze medal in the 2008 Games.

Then it was on to Kali River:

144.jpg

Twin #2 and I opted to wear ponchos, Twin #1 took her chances. I am happy to report that none of us got wet:

145.jpg

It looks like they are ready for the RNC which will be visiting Tampa in a couple of weeks here at the Animal Kingdom:

146.jpg

After Kali, we all asked what's next?

It was a little past 11:30, so lunch was a topic of conversation.

It was getting hot and crowded in AK.

So we decided to go to lunch at a resort.

The flags at AK were at half-mast today:

149.jpg

I believe this related to the shootings that took place in Wisconsin earlier that week.

It was 11:50 when I took that photo.

Next stop, lunch.

I know at least one Fiend who knows where that was, because I ran into him there.

I'll tell you about that in the next update.

TCD

I have no reason to suck up to anyone! I honestly mean what I said. I do the same for cashiers in the store, drive-up window workers,etc. Plus, I despise a$*-kissing. Probably why I never got past middle management at my old job.

Yea, you'd think my 3-mile-a-day biking in the FL heat would show, sadly, that is not the case. But it's better than nothing! I run, too. But I'm a carb/dairy addict and eat whatever I please, so I kinda break even there.

Love the early morning shots as always.

Hopefully there will be more of that coming.

What I really long for is a video of a secret mission into RC....it has been awhile.

Good job not getting wet......I have yet to get off that ride without being completely soaked......bringing ponchos next time.

Do you let people on your bus with refillable mugs in their hands?

Do you ask them what is in them?

It's not practical to check everything, just the very obvious.

If it's a clear cup and it looks like a mixed drink or beer and I'm working DTD, I'll ask only if it has a cover. They're not getting on with no cover.

If somone really needed to have an alcoholic drink that bad where they will pull the wool over the drivers eyes by using a refillable mug, they win.

From the barn, I headed back toward camp.

I headed up Fort Wilderness Trail, because I wanted to check on the 600 loop and the 800 loop, based on some things I had seen the night before.

Half of the 600 loop (the old half) was empty. It looked like they were doing some landscaping in there recently:

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

Spoiler alert: if I ever to a TR of the same week, you will see these very photos again, including your favorite site, empty!

Even site 617, my favorite site in all the Fort, was empty:

109.jpg

The 800 loop was empty too.

Every single site.

Empty.

I was on the bike and didn't take any photos.

But that loop was empty.

I got some of the empty 800 loop.

I made it back to my site at about 7:30. The sun came up there at about 7:38. I call this photo sunrise over site 1507:

110.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, our plan was to go to AK this morning for what passes for rope drop these days. AK used to open earlier than the other parks, but today it wasn't opening until 9. The girls asked me to wake them at 8, so I did. They got ready, and we were on our way by 8:15. They get ready fast!! We drove there. That's how we do rope drops (except MK). I don't trust the buses to get us there on time. WOW! You called me a kiss-up - you're being the exact opposite here aren't you? Meanie!!

We made it into AK just before 9 and headed to Expedition Everest. I grabbed Fastpasses, and we got in line. Hey! you said in line!!!

And here's a pirate copy of our official ride photo:

121.jpg

You almost covered your daughter's face! That has happened to me on SM, some adult raises their arms and my kids get blocked.

Here's a pirate copy of our Dinosaur ride photo:

126.jpg

​Are you sure they're not just embarrassed my dear ole' Dad?

Yes I am clowning around. The twins are not. This ride really freaks them out. One of my kids won't even go anymore. Also they say it smells funny.

This ride, Primeval Whirl, used to be a lot more fun than it is now. You used to spin like crazy and go up and down a roller coaster track. The whole time, it would feel like your car was going to fly off the track. It turns out that feeling was justified. Now, they have all kinds of brakes and stops installed, and the ride really isn't much fun at all: agreed!

130.jpg

After Dinosaur, our EE Fastpasses were almost ready. But first, I stopped by Kali River Rapids for Fastpasses Check out this Brazilian Tour Guide with his handfuls of room keys: ​grrrrr…..

131.jpg

I had my first big fail of the trip on the way there. As we walked along, I almost ran into the guy in front of me when he stopped short for no apparent reason. After I almost bumped him, I took a look at him and noticed something really odd. The dude had on a big ankle monitor. It was a small rectangular box on a big black strap. I really wanted to get a photo of it, but the guy kept looking at me. Normally I wouldn't let that stop me from taking a photo, but this guy could have been a murderer or something. You never know. Chicken! :P

Here are the girls with Pocahontas:

135.jpg

I like to pose with princesses too, and I'm way more than 17! My boys won't, never have. Only male characters.

Loving your TR as always. More please!!

Flying the flag at half staff is a real pet peeve of mine. In most cases, it is done in violation of the US Flag code, as was the case here. For reference:

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

GOOD-FAITH MISUNDERSTANDINGS: Although the code is actually pretty clear, confusion continues to occur. For example, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno recently ordered the American Flag flown at half-staff on all U.S. Department of Justice buildings, in honor of several DEA agents who had died. While NFF understands this gesture, the Flag Code does not give Attorney General Reno the authority to issue that order. Closer to NFF's Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania home, Mayor Tom Murphy ordered all flags flown at half-staff to honor the victims of a plane crash. Here again, a well-intentioned gesture, but one for which no authority exists. NFF points out these "good-faith misunderstandings" not to criticize or embarrass anyone, but rather to head off a growing trivialization of this memorial salute, and to preserve the dignity and significance of flying the U.S. flag at half-staff. To any readers who may think that NFF is insensitive for raising these breaches of etiquette, please be assured that our motives are pure. We grieve these human loses deeply; however, we believe proper respect for our flag must be maintained - no matter the circumstances.

The last sentence of the first paragraph pretty much leaves it wide open that if it's a Presidential order, it's OK.

Disney only flies the flag at half staff if it's a Presidential order.

Looks like it was correct, provided it was done until noon on 10 August. I feel better now. Carry on.

I love that you took a photo of some strangers ride photo. Poor Grandma looks clueless. :))

I also like the photo of the girls with Pocahontas. Is it just me or is Pocahontas not the most attractive woman in the world?

I still like Primeval Whirl. It's as big of a thrill ride that my tummy can handle. Yes, I'm a ride wuss.

I have no reason to suck up to anyone! I honestly mean what I said. I do the same for cashiers in the store, drive-up window workers,etc. Plus, I despise a$*-kissing. Probably why I never got past middle management at my old job.

Yea, you'd think my 3-mile-a-day biking in the FL heat would show, sadly, that is not the case. But it's better than nothing! I run, too. But I'm a carb/dairy addict and eat whatever I please, so I kinda break even there.

All kidding aside, I am glad to hear this. We, also, always thank the drivers and other castmembers at WDW. Believe it of not, the castmembers get a lot of crap from some guests. A little later in this report, I'll tell you about a conversation I had with Josephine down at Trail's End. She has worked there for 34 years. She recently got reamed out by some A-hole who tried to park his golf cart where he wasn't allowed to. She didn't deserve that.

Wow, ya'll accomplished a lot in that morning!! We are barely leaving Trails End from breakfast about that time!!

Well, I know that you're a night owl, so that is OK.

I was burning the candle at both ends this trip.

Love the early morning shots as always.

Hopefully there will be more of that coming.

What I really long for is a video of a secret mission into RC....it has been awhile.

Good job not getting wet......I have yet to get off that ride without being completely soaked......bringing ponchos next time.

No RC videos this time. Yuri is due for a visit so maybe soon.

Considering we are still on the first morning, and there will be three more, I think it's a safe bet that there will be some more early morning shots in this report.

I also always get soaked on Kali. The heavy part of the raft goes down the hills first. And, for some reason, my end of the raft is always the heaviest. But, luckily, a big boned couple was across from me on the raft this time, and they got the tidal wave.

It's not practical to check everything, just the very obvious.

If it's a clear cup and it looks like a mixed drink or beer and I'm working DTD, I'll ask only if it has a cover. They're not getting on with no cover.

If somone really needed to have an alcoholic drink that bad where they will pull the wool over the drivers eyes by using a refillable mug, they win.

I don't care what eveyone else says, Lou, you are an OK guy in my book.

Yes, I did! But I am amazed that you remember what site we stayed in. Thanks for all the pictures of "my" site. It did make me a bit homesick, but it was worth it!!

Marty- I dont' think I'm the only one who will never forget your epic trip to the Fort. I really hope that there will be another.

Love the pictures from the Dino ride. I thought it was just Twin #2 that didn't like the ride. And the other family... poor grandma!

Nope, neither twin likes Dinosaur. But, we still ride it every chance we get.

Woo

Hoo

Hey- it's been a while since I heard a Woo Hoo from you.

Glad that you're reading along!

Great updates!

Love the sunrise photos.

Really depressed at how the DVC will impact the fort.

Never been on Dinosaur. It's on my list for October.

Anxiously awaiting the next installment!

Gwen- Dinosaur is pretty intense. So be prepared!

It also makes me sad to think about the impact the DVC will have on the Fort. But, as others have said, there is a chance that it won't happen for a long time, or never happen.

Flying the flag at half staff is a real pet peeve of mine. In most cases, it is done in violation of the US Flag code, as was the case here. For reference:

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

GOOD-FAITH MISUNDERSTANDINGS: Although the code is actually pretty clear, confusion continues to occur. For example, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno recently ordered the American Flag flown at half-staff on all U.S. Department of Justice buildings, in honor of several DEA agents who had died. While NFF understands this gesture, the Flag Code does not give Attorney General Reno the authority to issue that order. Closer to NFF's Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania home, Mayor Tom Murphy ordered all flags flown at half-staff to honor the victims of a plane crash. Here again, a well-intentioned gesture, but one for which no authority exists. NFF points out these "good-faith misunderstandings" not to criticize or embarrass anyone, but rather to head off a growing trivialization of this memorial salute, and to preserve the dignity and significance of flying the U.S. flag at half-staff. To any readers who may think that NFF is insensitive for raising these breaches of etiquette, please be assured that our motives are pure. We grieve these human loses deeply; however, we believe proper respect for our flag must be maintained - no matter the circumstances.

Jim- Thanks for the flag lesson. I never knew that there were so many restrictions on flying the flag at half staff. This rule surely does get ignored more than it should.

I think Fritz's "not impressed" look is dead on! I love EE, but have only rode it one time when the Yeti was actually working.

Yeah, I don't think Fritz was looking forward to his bath and ride to the MK. If you rode EE when the Yeti was working, then it has been a long time. It is pretty sad now. I hear guests all the time say that they didn't even see the Yeti. It's a shame, because when he moved and swung his big arm at the cars in the past, there is no way anyone missed him.

TCD