Two weeks ago, I was driving to the grocery store with my two sons (14 and 12) and conversation somehow turned to Austin, Texas. By the time we’d pulled into the parking lot, we’d somehow decided to take a road trip there (we live in NC).

Hubby was kind of, ‘Wha--?” but supportive (he can’t take long trips, so it was just the kids and me), so we started to make plans to leave the following week.

After a couple days of confusion – hubby wasn’t feeling confident in my 8yo F-150 making the trip, towing the 30-foot camper, so we briefly considered purchasing an F-250 – we left the day after my birthday (August 7). I’d had a bout of frugal Yankee sticker shock over the 250, so we stuck with my trusty F-150.

We made it to Little Rock the first day and pulled into the Little Rock KOA minutes before they closed the office. It’s a typical KOA – near the highway, tiny pool, small sites, big cost ($44). Wasn’t too impressed, but I was zonked.

The poop hose cover fell off somewhere in Tennessee (camper battle scar #1). Fortunately, like George Costanza's frightened turtle, the hose itself had shrunk back further into the bumper, so it was still there.

Next morning, we made it to our destination: South Llano River State Park in Junction, TX, west of Austin. Small, very nice state park. Our site:

2674723E-0216-40B2-ADD2-654BBB5D6D95-392-000000C6A5146B5B.jpg

103F9377-5FDC-49D0-BD16-01D09B474A2B-392-000000C1DB9D663E.jpg

Some metal thing fell off the slider awning when we opened it (camper battle scar #2). Then we couldn’t open the bathroom door (it’s a walk-through to the bedroom, so I could get in from the other side). I had to use a butter knife to pop it open, but had to remove the whole door knob (battle scar #3).

There was a burn ban in effect, so no campfire, but it was the peak of the Perseids so we got a great show under the big Texas sky.

Friday morning we snagged three rafts and headed to the river. It’s about a two-hour drift and then you hoof it back up to the start, maybe ½ mile or so. Not too far. There was a rope tied to a branch of a tree at the top of a hill alongside the river, and we spent a while trying to get enough courage to swing into the water. I think with the drought, the water wasn’t close enough to the bank, so none of us let go (actually, I was hanging on for dear life!), but it was pretty fun scaring ourselves.

The river is murky with lots of turtles, some fun “rapids,” and a lot of long, still parts. We were on the river the entire day.

Saturday, we headed in to Austin and walked around South Congress and other parts of the city. I hadn’t been in Austin for maybe 20 years, so it was fun to see everything.

94FF75B0-AF2F-407A-B0BD-42721F46401F-392-000000C1C74071D8.jpg

Then we headed up to Round Rock because my youngest son had seen Texas-sized donuts on the Food Network and had to get one:

337B5BEE-297A-4392-AA16-562D19369073-392-000000C1B1600FD1.jpg

On Sunday, we packed up and headed about an hour south to Garner State Park. It’s WAY bigger than South Llano park – at check-in, you take a number and stand inside a windowed room with everyone else, waiting for your number to be called. Then you go inside an inner room where there’s a row of “tellers” who let you pick your site. It’s a big park, and the Frio River runs all along the side of it for several miles.

After we parked at our site (we got one along the river), we were going to head to town for a grocery run, but thought we’d drive around the campground first to get the lay of the land. Somehow we ended up in the camp store where we bought three tube shuttle passes and tubes. We could put in up at our site (which was at the top of the park) and float down the river to the dam, where the shuttle drove us back to the site.

The river was AMAZING. Absolutely crystal clear. It was very low in parts (drought), so in a couple places we had to walk, but the rest was just fabulous.

50D69CD9-14C3-498D-BFA6-0F8C444A55B0-392-000000C178D098C1.jpg

Lots of rope swings along the way, plenty of fast-moving “rapids,” too.

Here’s the downside to Garner: The river was a MESS of litter. Dirty diapers, bottles, cans, wrappers, popped rafts…it was absolutely horrible. We started picking up trash, but there was so much of it.

Monday we headed in to San Antonio. Love this city!

ADE5CD73-44B5-472A-93C1-CF22196326B7-392-000000C18A6FF2B3.jpg

The last time I was there was with hubby 20 years ago, who popped the question here:

DE29EEF5-FA04-4CC8-B1E2-FB848FEBBC5F-392-000000C193428C22.jpg

…yep, he proposed in a bar, lol. Hey, it was an Irish bar at least.

The ring was too small, so we ran around the Riverwalk until we found a jeweler to resize it. They’d already closed for the night, but we banged on the door and pleaded with them, as a newly engaged couple, to resize my ring so they took pity on us. As they were doing it, we were chatting and the owner – Phil Maldano, the name is stuck in my head – this geezer of about 100, when he heard we were from Northern Virginia, came shuffling out with a catalog for silk underwear. “Here,” he said, like it was an engagement present, “it never gets cold enough down here for this. You could use it.” LOL!

So of course I had to show the kids the place where all the magic began.

Also visited the Alamo.

DC22D65A-3D58-418B-A4A0-3D5986A5E4F4-392-000000C1A0AA14FC.jpg

I was taking this picture of this fantastic tree (below) at the Alamo – it’s like it’s giving you a hug – when I felt something prickly on my side. I absently kept brushing at it, until I realized it was really hurting. My son suddenly said, “Mom! There’s a bug on your shirt!” and brushed it off. I looked at my side – I have three huge bites/welts from whatever the heck it was. Boo. Something to remember the Alamo by.

Panorama of the tree (click and drag to see the whole thing):

http://photosynth.ne...2&p=0:0&t=False

The next day, Tuesday, we spent back on the river. All. Day. When we finally drifted down to the dam, hours and hours later, we found out…the tube shuttle had a flat and wasn’t running for another two hours. Ack! We started walking back uphill to the campsite – over two miles in the Texas heat, with the kids in their wimpy water shoes and the tubes balanced on our heads.

Pickup after pickup truck passed us, until finally a van slowed next to us and the super-cool, forever-my-hero guy offered us a ride back to the campsite. He was a Vietnam vet, there from Houston with his extended family, and could not have been any nicer. I was so grateful for the lift!

We left for home early on Wednesday and stopped for the night just inside Mississippi at Buccaneer State Park. It used to have a water park, wave pool, store, etc., but was hit hard by Hurricane Katrina. They only started working to rebuild a few months ago, so it was pretty barren. We went into town for some seafood and walked on the beach, letting me dip my toes into the Gulf and rounding out the trifecta of major bodies of water surrounding the US that I’ve touched. (I’m often at the Atlantic and once did a cross-country trip in a Yugo and a pup tent with my sister when I was 18 and she was 20 to California and the Pacific.)

48E62278-F287-469E-B67C-B32E4E524023-392-000000C16B9A51AF.jpg

Somewhere along the way, the vent cover flew off the side of the camper (battle scar #4).

The next day was the long haul home, arriving around 7:30 at night. TIRED but happy for the adventure.

So, my old truck was a total power horse, but we left parts of the camper all over the Central Time Zone.

This morning, I was in our house kitchen, and you know how the sounds and rhythm of your house – the hum of the fridge, the air in the vents – is familiar? I thought, “Something’s not right.” A little investigating – and sure enough, there was a pipe leaking under the house. So now I have six tons of laundry, a sink full of dirty dishes, and no water while I wait for the plumber to come. And naturally all the backlog of work that you expect when you get home from being away. I’m having a hard time with re-entry! But still glad we went.

Gee Kate, that was cool! Sorry about all the camper scars, but better the camper than any of you guys.

I love floating down the river!

Holy Donut Batman!! I would be happy just to lick all that chocolate off the top. :drool1:

Wow! I'm tired from just reading that. Sounds like an adventure.

I'm sorry about you losing so many things off of your camper. But I'm happy for all the great tubing you got to do. And I'm sorry you got bit by a scary south Texas bug. But I'm happy for that giant Texas sized donut!

That about sums any trip, doesn't it? A mix of hoorays with a couple bummers. And my son was VERY happy for that donut!

Gee Kate, that was cool! Sorry about all the camper scars, but better the camper than any of you guys.

I love floating down the river!

Holy Donut Batman!! I would be happy just to lick all that chocolate off the top. :drool1:

My other son got the glazed giant donut (no chocolate). We were like, what, are you crazy? Get the chocolate, man!

Very cool roadtrip!!!!

It really was fun. For minimal planning, it turned out pretty good.

What an adventure!

Initially, we were talking about making it all the way to CA, but realized that might be a little bit *too* far for this trip.

That was great!! I so want to do this with my kids!! :camp1:

**And that donut looked amazing!!** :drool1:

When my guy saw that on the Food Network, it made such an impression on him he was determined to get one. I think he saw it on TV months ago!

What a great trip. I need to make it to Texas some. That donut looked huge! Did he share?

They both got one, and I got a small slice off each (I opted for a regular-sized apple fritter). I'm a pretty big donut fan, and I have to say they were really good. Not fluffy like regular donuts; they had an odd -- but wonderful -- consistency. And the glaze was phenomenal. They came in a shirt-sized box, they were so big!

You're my hero, pulling a TT on your own. I've yet to do it, but am gonna have to grow a pair and learn. When we had the pup, I took off with the kids all the time. We miss out on a lot of opportunities because my husband just can't get away sometimes, but we can.

LOVE the Seinfeld reference! I was in the pool!!!

FP4

That was a great trip... I was tired at the end from reading it.... You must have been exhausted.... Minor battle scars add character and mystery to a trailer... well done.... Sorry about the plumbing leak, that is never fun. Donut looked great... how was it really? Was it worth the ride? Final comment.... Sticker shock... yeah that is a term for it... I told the salesman... I wanna buy a truck not the entire dealership.... he laughed.... I ran too... The F 150 is just fine thank you... I did not want a second mortgage..

Awesomest donut ever!! It sounds like a great trip.....it seems all great trips have a few challenges along the way, but you handled them like a pro. I've never traveled that far west, so it was interesting to see. We have family in Houston, so we just might make it to TX someday! Thanks for sharing!

You're my hero, pulling a TT on your own. I've yet to do it, but am gonna have to grow a pair and learn. When we had the pup, I took off with the kids all the time. We miss out on a lot of opportunities because my husband just can't get away sometimes, but we can.

LOVE the Seinfeld reference! I was in the pool!!!

FP4

I *almost* chickened out after hubby got me a little spooked about my truck surviving the trip, but I had my insurance card and my phone, so I figured even if the truck got a boo-boo I could handle it. Also, I was raised with a healthy sense of paranoia, so I'm confident about handling any "bad guy" situation (plus my teen sons are practically my body guards at this point), so I figured we should just do it!

I've been in that Irish bar with DH, BIL and SIL.

Sweet Texas.... I almost miss you... almost! Thanks for the tour down memory lane.

It's a great bar. When hubby and I were there, they had live music squeezed in there somehow, too.

That was a great trip... I was tired at the end from reading it.... You must have been exhausted.... Minor battle scars add character and mystery to a trailer... well done.... Sorry about the plumbing leak, that is never fun. Donut looked great... how was it really? Was it worth the ride? Final comment.... Sticker shock... yeah that is a term for it... I told the salesman... I wanna buy a truck not the entire dealership.... he laughed.... I ran too... The F 150 is just fine thank you... I did not want a second mortgage..

I'd have to say the donut was one of the highlights -- it was that fun and tasty! And seriously, we've had no car payments for a while. The thought of a hefty one made me queasy. I'm sure it's in our future at some point, but thankfully not too soon.

Awesomest donut ever!! It sounds like a great trip.....it seems all great trips have a few challenges along the way, but you handled them like a pro. I've never traveled that far west, so it was interesting to see. We have family in Houston, so we just might make it to TX someday! Thanks for sharing!

When we first saw the donut, we just started laughing. I think they said it's the same size as a dozen regular ones. My older son used a knife and fork to eat his, lol!

Don't forget to tip the plumber.

Okay, I feel really badly now. Are you really supposed to if they do a normal service? I've tipped delivery guys who have brought in really heavy stuff or navigated difficult spaces, and repair guys who have gone above and beyond...even "tipped" that other camper who picked us up with our rafts at the campground (even though he didn't do it for the money, obv.), but I never thought to do that. Nuts. <guilt>

WOW!

Tony and I were talking last night about finally going to New Orleans and we will definately make this part of the trip. We were suppose to go in 2005, but something called Katrina changed our plans that year.

San Antonio is my all time favorite city. Have not been there in maybe 20 years, but I remember Durty Nellies and The Last Resort on the river walk.

I just got a chance to read this report.

Great job!

I am always amazed at how small the Alamo looks in photos- I have never been, but I hear it is surprisingly small.

Sorry about all the battle scars.

I am jealous that you got to see the meteor shower- we were at the Fort for what was supposed to be the peak night, but it was too cloudy to see a thing!

TCD