What to do when you boss says "Yes. You can take your 3 weeks of vacation at once"

I am going to hijack just for a second. You know sometimes we don't appreciate our parents near enough! Daddy was stationed at Travis AFB in California, home for us was here in Florida where Grandma was so we made the pilgrimage home to visit.

We saw the Petrified Forest, the Painted Desert, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Crater Lake, Mt Rushmore and much more. All in our little pop-up camper! Even at 8 years old, it was awe inspiring. I would love to take my son on a trip like this too!

I guess I didn't have a grasp of geography at that age! I remember looking at a map when I was about 20 and thinking, "Wow, I didn't realize that all those places were not a direct route between California and Florida." I was so touched to realize how far out of the way they planned for us to be able to see all of that!

BTW, Mama still talks about hearing folks cranking up and leaving when we were camping at Yellowstone in July. It was freezing at night. We had a heater in the pop-up!

Jason, thanks so much for sharing this trip. It has brought back so many memories from my childhood with my family. It has also inspired me to work harder to make this trip again!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so when we left off we had made an unscheduled stop at Lyman Lake. It was a beautiful place but we had a date with our first National Park of the trip. So we packed up and headed out around 7 a.m.

Silvia was feeling better and it was time to head back to California Adventure. We had the reserved area for World of Color so we headed over there to watch the show. A nice moon that night A s

We detoured an hour put of puts for Shenandoah

Amazing Yellowstone pictures! I'm really getting a geography lesson through your TR!

I hope you are paying attention. There will not be a quiz later.

:waiting2-smiley: :waiting2-smiley:

I am going to write up this last weekend quick and then we will get back on the road.

are you trying to say you have a life and we don't?

Ordinarily I would say no I don't have a life. This weekend was a wonderful exception.

Have a great time! I would say take good pictures, but we already know that you will. ::)

I have some beauties to share with you for sure.

Have fun!

Thanks! We did!

Loving the Yellowstone pics so far! I almost feel like I'm there with y'all. Hope y'all had a fun trip this weekend!

We had a great time. Can't wait to share it with you all.

More fantastic photos! :) Happy Camping... don't forget we are all waiting on another awesome update!

I am going to hijack just for a second. You know sometimes we don't appreciate our parents near enough! Daddy was stationed at Travis AFB in California, home for us was here in Florida where Grandma was so we made the pilgrimage home to visit.

We saw the Petrified Forest, the Painted Desert, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Crater Lake, Mt Rushmore and much more. All in our little pop-up camper! Even at 8 years old, it was awe inspiring. I would love to take my son on a trip like this too!

I guess I didn't have a grasp of geography at that age! I remember looking at a map when I was about 20 and thinking, "Wow, I didn't realize that all those places were not a direct route between California and Florida." I was so touched to realize how far out of the way they planned for us to be able to see all of that!

BTW, Mama still talks about hearing folks cranking up and leaving when we were camping at Yellowstone in July. It was freezing at night. We had a heater in the pop-up!

Jason, thanks so much for sharing this trip. It has brought back so many memories from my childhood with my family. It has also inspired me to work harder to make this trip again!

My parents had issues when I was growing up. Fortunately I have my grandparents on my Dad's side to thanks for so much in life. They took me on my first trip to Disney World and many other driving trips through New England. If it wasn't for them I don't know if I would have the driving bug for sight seeing.

Or my carpentry skills for that matter.

So when last I left you I showed you the prettiest thing I saw in Yellowstone.

DSC06882.jpg

Have to win the brownie points any way I can.

One last view of the basin.

DSC06883.jpg

As we were leaving the West Thumb geyser area the trail divided around this really big tree.

DSC06884.jpg

and one more sign to remind you to stay on the boardwalks.

DSC06885.jpg

As we were heading off toward the Old Faithful area we saw some more locals in the trees.

DSC06886.jpg

DSC06887.jpg

DSC06888.jpg

And a nice spot to pull of and take in some of the valley.

DSC06889.jpg

DSC06893.jpg

DSC06896.jpg

And then we crossed it again. We had crossed it a few times but never got a picture.

DSC06897.jpg

As we continued down the road I saw something on just off the pavement. Something I have never seen naturally occurring in July.

I had to get a picture.

DSC06898.jpg

Yep Snow. All the plow snow piles were still there and some of the peaks were fairly covered as well.

If you found snow in July what would you do?

DSC06899.jpg

I grabbed some got back in the car and proceeded to put it down the back of Silvia's shirt. She should really know better than to trust me around snow by now. :rofl3:

Back on the road we came upon a small pond area.

DSC06901.jpg

DSC06903.jpg

DSC06905.jpg

We continued down the road and came upon the Kepler Cascades. I know cause the sign told me so.

DSC06912.jpg

DSC06907.jpg

DSC06909.jpg

Wait those arent cascades I want my money back....

DSC06913.jpg

Never mind there they are.

DSC06915.jpg

DSC06917.jpg

DSC06920.jpg

Not sure how I am for pictures so I will continue in the next post.

Back on the road again we made it to Old Faithful and the surrounding geyser basin. This is where the Old Faithful Inn is which Wilderness lodge somewhat resembles.

DSC06925.jpg

DSC06928.jpg

And there she is sitting quietly.

DSC06930.jpg

For those of you that don't know, Old Faithful does not go off at set times all day. It is more that they have discerned the pattern to it, Based on height, duration, and estimated volume they can crunch some numbers and tell you to within 5- 10 minutes the next time it will erupt. There are many other geysers around as well as the visitors center so if you just missed the eruption you can explore till the next one happens. They have signs up that tell you about when that will be.

A little while before the eruption a Park Ranger comes out and does and informative lesson on the geology and seismology of the area and the specific make up of Old Faithful, and most geysers, that make them work the way they do.

DSC06933.jpg

DSC06934.jpg

And here she blows!

DSC06935.jpg

DSC06937.jpg

DSC06940.jpg

DSC06943.jpg

We managed to grab a picture of some of the items the ranger uses in his lesson.

DSC06947.jpg

Look a visual aid!

DSC06948.jpg

We headed over to Old Faithful Inn so SIlvia could get some pictures of it.

One of the old fashioned vehicles they use for tours and transportation around the park.

DSC06951.jpg

And here's the Inn

DSC06952.jpg

DSC06954.jpg

DSC06956.jpg

DSC06957.jpg

DSC06963.jpg

Back in the olden days of having real musicians provide entertainment for guests, they had a little area way up in the Inn where the bands would play and the music would filter down.

DSC06961.jpg

Glad I am not in that band....I hate heights.

One of the prediction signs.

DSC06970.jpg

The front of the Inn

DSC06981.jpg

DSC06986.jpg

From there we headed out around to another area of the park. We were trying to see as much of the lower half of the park this day as we could.

DSC06987.jpg

DSC06988.jpg

So many rivers and water features to see in Yellowstone, it really is beautiful.

DSC06991.jpg

DSC06992.jpg

DSC06993.jpg

Not sure on pictures and I need to make myself some dinner. I will try and get another post up later.

Yay! You're back! :jumpforjoy

Love the pictures! That is most certainly what WL is modeled after! I like the logs out front - looks like Lincoln Logs.

Cool park ranger teacher. What a neat job to have! But, then again, I bet he does get a bit tired of repeating himself...

Holy Cow - I have been so busy trying to catch up on trip reports and this one just blows me away! Trip of a lifetime and I am amazed at how much you've covered. I'm only at the first shots of Disneyland and need a coffee break. Jason - this is a TR of EPIC proportions. You have given me something new to day dream about, might just have to start scheming on how to convince the kids we could do this. If you don't see me on the boards, know that I mentioned this to them and they have probably put me in an asylum.

Loving these updates, Jason!!! When INC and I went to Yellowstone, we never actually made it to Old Faithful. On the advice of a ranger in the campground, we visited the Echynus geyser area instead which we loved. It was a quiet area. But I do have to get to Old Faithful someday!

If you don't see me on the boards, know that I mentioned this to them and they have probably put me in an asylum.

I thought you were going to say you mentioned it to them and you were in the car heading west!

Jason,

So glad your back!!! Pictures are truly wonderful and are bringing back so many wonderful memories for me!! Although, the photo of the back side of the Lodge with the outside porch area over the parking, was NOT a good memory for me!!! When we were there, we bought some ice cream and went out there to sit, eat and relax. While sitting there, one of my teeth broke in half.............by eating ice cream..........I was like, what the heck! We werent even 1/2 way thru our trip and still had a lot of ground to cover. Luckily, after the nerves settled down near the tooth, it didnt bother me too much!

Heidi