What to do when you boss says "Yes. You can take your 3 weeks of vacation at once"

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so when we left off we had made an unscheduled stop at Lyman Lake. It was a beautiful place but we had a date with our first National Park of the trip. So we packed up and headed out around 7 a.m.

Silvia was feeling better and it was time to head back to California Adventure. We had the reserved area for World of Color so we headed over there to watch the show. A nice moon that night A s

We detoured an hour put of puts for Shenandoah

Glad to see you are back, sorry to hear about the bad weather while roofing. I think Mother nature wants you to finish the TR!

Well the roof is almost completed. Got to buy a few more shingles for the peak and I will be done. I should be putting a post up tonight.

So when we left off we had had a lovely dinner at the lodge at our campground, sat around a roaring fire for a couple of hours and went to bed. Yet again the temp was down in the mid thirties so it was a cold night but we made it through just fine.

The next morning we headed out to see the northern loop of Yellowstone National Park.

DSC07033.jpg

DSC07034.jpg

DSC07035.jpg

An informative kiosk on the side of the road telling us about the geologic make up of the cliffs and rocks nearby.

DSC07037.jpg

DSC07044.jpg

DSC07045.jpg

Sadly we didnt take a picture of the informative signs but as best I can recall it explained about the volcanic nature of the rocks and cliffs.

Continuing up the road.

DSC07038.jpg

DSC07039.jpg

DSC07040.jpg

DSC07041.jpg

DSC07043.jpg

DSC07043.jpg

DSC07044.jpg

DSC07046.jpg

DSC07051.jpg

Is that another elk?

DSC07056.jpg

Don't worry we got some real close ups of a whole herd (is that the right term for a group of Elk) of them. That will be coming up a little later on.

DSC07054.jpg

Our next stop was at Sheepeater Cliffs. These were named after a tribe of Indians that used to live in the area. The volcanic rock here has broken off in very distinct shapes as you will see.

DSC07061.jpg

DSC07062.jpg

DSC07063.jpg

DSC07064.jpg

DSC07066.jpg

close to pic limit.

Continued from previous post.

As you saw in some of the previous pictures early to mid July is a beautiful time to visit Yellowstone as there are lots of wildflowers in bloom.

We also saw some other native wildlife here.

DSC07077.jpg

Is that Chip or Dale?

He even posed for me.

DSC07075.jpg

Sheepeater Cliff's was a beautiful area with a stream running through that lots of animal trails leading through the grasses and down to the water.

DSC07079.jpg

DSC07080.jpg

DSC07078.jpg

DSC07081.jpg

DSC07082.jpg

We headed back out on the road to see some more.

DSC07092.jpg

DSC07093.jpg

DSC07096.jpg

DSC07097.jpg

DSC07106.jpg

And then we came upon yet another waterfall.

DSC07109.jpg

DSC07110.jpg

DSC07112.jpg

You can see all the snow still on the mountains.

DSC07118.jpg

DSC07119.jpg

DSC07121.jpg

DSC07122.jpg

DSC07124.jpg

DSC07129.jpg

DSC07130.jpg

DSC07131.jpg

DSC07132.jpg

DSC07135.jpg

I am gonna pause here and gather up some more pics for the next installment.

I remember one place along the northern loop called the Obsidian Cliff...or something like that. The cliff was made of volcanic glass! Very cool.

That may have been what the sign we were reading was about now that you mention it.

ETA I just blew the picture up so I could read some of the sign and you are correct That was Obsidian Cliff where we stopped to read the sign.

This is a great TR of a truly EPIC trip!

I've been lucky enough to visit most of the same places...some as a child and some as an adult. The west really influenced me. It shaped how I wanted to live and recreate....and it still does. Yellowstone and the Tetons are probably my favorite of all that I have seen. I've snowboarded them in the winter and hiked them in the summer. Each season has its own special beauty!

Yellowstone really blew my mind the first time I visited.

To expand on what you said....Yellowstone lies over the top of "hot spot" and is a super volcano. It erupted 1.8 million, 1.2 million, and approx 680 million years ago (if I remember correctly). The other two ancient calderas are in Idaho...having moved past the hot spot. There have been many much more recent smaller eruptions from small (relatively) volcanoes such as those that make up the Absaroka Range. Those basalt octagonal columns you photo'ed are evidence of much recent activity. I believe that pic of Kepler Cascades shows the rim of the collapsed caldera.

Sorry for the nerd hijack.

This is a great TR of a truly EPIC trip!

I've been lucky enough to visit most of the same places...some as a child and some as an adult. The west really influenced me. It shaped how I wanted to live and recreate....and it still does. Yellowstone and the Tetons are probably my favorite of all that I have seen. I've snowboarded them in the winter and hiked them in the summer. Each season has its own special beauty!

Yellowstone really blew my mind the first time I visited.

To expand on what you said....Yellowstone lies over the top of "hot spot" and is a super volcano. It erupted 1.8 million, 1.2 million, and approx 680 million years ago (if I remember correctly). The other two ancient calderas are in Idaho...having moved past the hot spot. There have been many much more recent smaller eruptions from small (relatively) volcanoes such as those that make up the Absaroka Range. Those basalt octagonal columns you photo'ed are evidence of much recent activity. I believe that pic of Kepler Cascades shows the rim of the collapsed caldera.

Sorry for the nerd hijack.

Never be sorry for a nerd hijack on one of my reports. I soak up info on all sorts of things like sponges soak up water. While I did know most of that somewhere in the back of my brain I am always open to learning more about the world we live in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the long interlude but I am determined to finish this report.

So Continuing on day 2

I have to admit there were so many beautiful views that I don’t remember what every one of the pictures is from. I think I will share the pictures and if I have more information on a specific picture I will include it. If anyone has questions about a specific picture please ask and I will try and get you an answer.

So here we go.

DSC07140.jpg

DSC07141.jpg

DSC07143.jpg

DSC07145.jpg

DSC07148.jpg

DSC07150.jpg

DSC07154.jpg

DSC07159.jpg

DSC07163.jpg

DSC07170.jpg

DSC07173.jpg

DSC07177.jpg

DSC07175.jpg

DSC07178.jpg

DSC07191.jpg

This is the area of Mammoth Hot Springs

DSC07198.jpg

DSC07199.jpg

It kind of funny, the park has signs up everywhere to stay away from the animals. In this area however it is pretty hard to stay away from the animals. The Elf specifically have figured out that there is all this manicured lawns and shade to hang out under and a whole herd of congregated in the area.

DSC07201.jpg

DSC07203.jpg

We will see some more of them on our way back through. Right now we are continuing north to go out the famous North Entrance that was dedicted by Teddy Roosevelt.

DSC07206.jpg

There was also a herd of antelope just outside of the Mammoth Hot Springs area.

DSC07206.jpg

DSC07211.jpg

DSC07216.jpg

DSC07221.jpg

DSC07228.jpg

DSC07229.jpg

DSC07231.jpg

Almost to the North Entrance…errr exit since we are techinically leaving.

DSC07236.jpg

DSC07237.jpg

I am getting close to the pic limit so I will continue in the next post.