What to do when you boss says "Yes. You can take your 3 weeks of vacation at once"

You guys are right - healing comes in unexpected places. Of course, I will never underestimate the power of Big Sky again. I do think the sky really is bigger there...

I totally forgot to post about the cold weather - that is crazy! I would not have expected it to get quite THAT cold! brrrrr!!!

I think that we on the east coast have trouble grasping a skyline that is not broken up. No trees or cities. Just wide open spaces as far as the eye can see.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so when we left off we had made an unscheduled stop at Lyman Lake. It was a beautiful place but we had a date with our first National Park of the trip. So we packed up and headed out around 7 a.m.

Silvia was feeling better and it was time to head back to California Adventure. We had the reserved area for World of Color so we headed over there to watch the show. A nice moon that night A s

We detoured an hour put of puts for Shenandoah

I think that we on the east coast have trouble grasping a skyline that is not broken up. No trees or cities. Just wide open spaces as far as the eye can see.

I have not seen "big sky" and cannot grasp the concept.

I guess it's one of those things you must see to understand.

Jason,

I too have a photo of that sign showing the boy stepping into the hot water!!!

Yellowstone is amazing isnt it?

Heidi

I love that sign! I like how the kid's hat is flying off his head. That certainly gets the message across.

Oh, and Jason- are we still on the way to your campsite in Yellowstone, or have you already gotten there and you are now out exploring?

One last thought- that sign about the mud volcano got me to thinking-can you imagine what it must have been like for the people who first discovered this place? Such strange things!

TCD

Jason, I am loving this trip report!

Yellowstone is probably the most amazing place i have ever visited. It is absolutely surreal. INC and I tent camped there in late August, and it got down into the low 30's at night. I'll just say that if you tent camp in Yellowstone it is good to be with someone you are crazy in love with, cause you'll need the body warmth. LOL!

Did you go up to the Boiling River? I have a cool picture of me sitting in it enjoying the natural steam bath while an elk is above me on the shore looking down at me. Unfortunately that was in 1994 and before digital cameras, so the picture is in a photo album. I should scan all those pictures while I can before they degrade too far.

Anyways, loving these pics. Please carry on!

Great photo's!

Your trip is reminding me of a little summer trip my grandparents took me and my brother on. The summer of 77, we camped (pop-up) Florida to Fairbanks, AK and back. My Dad is scanning the slides so I can't wait to see the similar sites.

I also lived in Idaho and Provo/Orem, Utah for about 10 years and have been to Yellowstone a couple of times. I do miss the scenery. My kids live out west so trip out there will be in the future.

Jason,

I too have a photo of that sign showing the boy stepping into the hot water!!!

Yellowstone is amazing isnt it?

Heidi

It is absolutely amazing Heidi.

Caught up again...brrr 33..note to self... remember warm layers, more than I think I'll need! Love this trip!

Glad you are enjoying it so much.

Jason, I am loving this trip report!

Yellowstone is probably the most amazing place i have ever visited. It is absolutely surreal. INC and I tent camped there in late August, and it got down into the low 30's at night. I'll just say that if you tent camp in Yellowstone it is good to be with someone you are crazy in love with, cause you'll need the body warmth. LOL!

Did you go up to the Boiling River? I have a cool picture of me sitting in it enjoying the natural steam bath while an elk is above me on the shore looking down at me. Unfortunately that was in 1994 and before digital cameras, so the picture is in a photo album. I should scan all those pictures while I can before they degrade too far.

Anyways, loving these pics. Please carry on!

We did not make it to the Boiling River. Just one of many things we didn't get to see on this trip to Yellowstone. Oh well there' always the next one.

Great photo's!

Your trip is reminding me of a little summer trip my grandparents took me and my brother on. The summer of 77, we camped (pop-up) Florida to Fairbanks, AK and back. My Dad is scanning the slides so I can't wait to see the similar sites.

I also lived in Idaho and Provo/Orem, Utah for about 10 years and have been to Yellowstone a couple of times. I do miss the scenery. My kids live out west so trip out there will be in the future.

Alaska is on our list of must see places. We really want to visit Denali National Park

So we had just left the side of the river and were headed further south to West Thumb.

After heading down the road a while we came back to the shores of Yellowstone Lake.

DSC06813.jpg

DSC06814.jpg

DSC06821.jpg

DSC06822.jpg

DSC06824.jpg

After taking in the lake for a few minutes we continued down the road till we hit a traffic jam.

The speed limit in Yellowstone is 35 MPH if I remember correctly. When an animal is spotted by the side of the road that drops to about 0. But you do get some nice pictures because of it.

Elk

DSC06846.jpg

and since Silvia is taking the picture and has impeccable timing.

DSC06847.jpg

Elk butt :rofl3:

Sorry, continuing on.

More Elk

DSC06848.jpg

DSC06849.jpg

After that we finally made it down to West Thumb Geyser Basin.

DSC06850.jpg

See the sign says so.

This was a collection of water features featuring clear water verses the muddy ones we saw previously. The minerals and bacteria in the water cause all the beautiful colors.

DSC06853.jpg

DSC06851.jpg

DSC06855.jpg

DSC06857.jpg

DSC06864.jpg

DSC06866.jpg

DSC06873.jpg

DSC06874.jpg

It was interesting seeing the thermal features with the cold lake in the background.

DSC06877.jpg

Still the prettiest thing I saw at Yellowstone.

DSC06882.jpg

pic limit must be close.

Ain't love a great thing?? :heart:

I bet you didn't mind the cold temps in that tent. >:D

To be honest I was more worried about her in the cold than anything. It's one of those things I never would have forgiven myself for if she had wound up with frostbite or hypothermia.

But I will say the tent was nice and cozy. hehehe

Ok Dave, take a pic of the pic.and lets see it!!

:heart: Awww, what a way to close an installment. Sweet!

More stunning photos. Stunning? Have I used that one yet?

Love the animals and especially elk butt. Thanks Sil!

Thanks Stef!

I sound like a broken record, but... beautiful pictures

::)

Amazing pictures. Another place to add to the list of places to visit.

Definitely!

I am running out of adjective to describe your pictures. I am still here though and in awe!

Glad you are still with us doodle

What I said before (don't want to sound like a broken record).

It's a good thing they posted that cartoon of the boy stepping into the lava (or whatever it was), because I would really want to go and check out all those thermal features. it all looks so cool!

I have got to go to Yellowstone some time.

TCD

It is a definite must for people if I were making a list.

I am headin out camping for the weekend with Silvia. I probably will not update again till Tuesday. Have a great weekend everybody!

Have a great time! I would say take good pictures, but we already know that you will. ::)