A Trip Around Disney's Epcot Food & Wine Festival (pics included)

Thursday was the soft opening for Disney’s Epcot Food & Wine Festival.

Come on along as we start a journey around the world with stops in many countries for some (we hope) fantastic food.

Cast members, their families and friends were encouraged to attend.

DSCN9318-1.jpg

Official welcome to the festivities

DSCN9314-1.jpg

First we had to purchase our “thing-a-ma-bob” so we don’t have to drag out the wallet each time. It’s so convenient and certainly makes it easier for Disney to part you from your money .

DSCN9118-1.jpg

SOUTH AFRICA

DSCN9143-1.jpg

Seared Filet of Beef with Smashed Sweet Potatoes and Braai Sauce – The meat was so tender you could almost cut it with the plastic fork. The picture doesn’t show the meat with the Braai Sauce because it’s spicy hot with a peppery after taste and I chose to leave it off. The sweet potatoes were so sweet that some may not like them.

DSCN9145-1.jpg

Spinach and Paneer Cheese Pocket – Crispy outside, could have used more stuffing inside. Has a spicy sauce added inside to the mix of spinach and cheese.

DSCN9151-1.jpg

BELGIUM

DSCN9249-1.jpg

Belgium Waffle with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream – Soft waffle that could have been a little warmer. Berry compote was sweet and had a nice little tang to it.

DSCN9242-1.jpg

CHEESE

DSCN9164-1-1.jpg

Cheese Fondue with Sourdough Bread – Bread on the stale side. Fondue tasted mostly like swiss cheese. We heard some people describe it as too “white wine” tasting.

DSCN9156-1-1.jpg

Artisan Cheese – (L to R) Beecher’s Flagship Reserve Cheddar, Rogue River Creamer Echo Mountain Blue Cheese, La Bonne Vie Goat Brie – All tasted great, wish there had been more. The Brie was more solid, not the creamy variety.

DSCN9161-1-1.jpg

GERMANY

DSCN9165-1.jpg

Roast Bratwurst in a Pretzel Roll – Needed a nice hot, fat brat. Pretzel roll was hard and stale. Probably our least favorite of all the food we tasted. If you want the Apple Strudel, go inside Germany and get a nice big piece for only $3.79.

DSCN9195-1.jpg

Schinken Nudel (Pasta Gratin with Ham and Cheese) – Very tasty, would have been nice to have a little more ham. Large piece easily split between two people.

DSCN9201-1.jpg

IRELAND

DSCN9274-1.jpg

Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Baileys Ganache – Really good but we were expecting a “molten” center. This one was warm but no runny center. Could have been a little bit bigger taste.

DSCN9276-1.jpg

DSCN9280-1.jpg

CHINA

Mongolian Beef in Steamed Bun – Light, fluffy bun and not spicy. Good crunch texture with the added noodles.

DSCN9133-1.jpg

Pork Potstickers – Very flavorful, nice and hot.

DSCN9130-1.jpg

Mango Tapioca Pudding – Sweet with big tapioca pearls. Mango tasted canned, not fresh.

DSCN9127-1.jpg

SCANDINAVIA

Swedish Meatballs with Lingonberries – Very tiny (on the stingy side) and bland meatballs.

DSCN9110-1.jpg

Rice Pudding with Strawberries – More bland pudding but fresh piece of strawberry on top.

DSCN9107-1.jpg

DSCN9114-1.jpg

AUSTRALIA

Lamington (Chocolate and Coconut Covered Yellow Cake) – Moist coconut on outside but inside yellow cake was dry.

DSCN9105-1.jpg

So that’s it for today’s round of taste testing. As soon as the stomach settles we will venture out again to check out Hops & Barley, Morocco, Poland, Italy and all the others we missed today.

Hope you liked tagging along.

And, as alcohol is now on the no-no list :'(, somebody else will have to report on liquid refreshments.

Karla, we talked about how cool it is to compare what you all liked vs. what we did.

You didn't tell me you got the lava cake. That's on "the list of things to use up the rest of my wristlet money" That and the caramel apple struedel. We were too full to make it to the desserts.

One thing I have found on the F&W as was mentioned. If country is a permanent country and they have a quick service place, some of the stuff in the Festival is served inside as a much larger serving for only a $1 or so more. The Rice Cream is a perfect example. I bet that spoonful was a $1 or $2 and inside, a full size one is $2.49

Hey - I am first to join in! Love Food and Wine Festival - thanks for sharing!

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the pictures, everything looks delicious even if some things were only 'so-so'. No trip planned, but maybe I'll finally make it back to F & W next year.

Hope to meet you at next year's festival.

I'm in, waiting for more!!

Hi TJ! We drove around the 2000 loop when we arrived and saw your unit.

Went by the next day and you were gone :-[ . Sorry we missed you.

Karla, we talked about how cool it is to compare what you all liked vs. what we did.

You didn't tell me you got the lava cake. That's on "the list of things to use up the rest of my wristlet money" That and the caramel apple struedel. We were too full to make it to the desserts.

Good mornin' neighbor! We will see how they compare when you do your TR.

You will sure want more of the lava cake!

Karla!!!! :hugs2: I'm so glad to see you!!! Are you at the Fort now? Will you be there when I get there on the 27th?

Love the pics!

Hello Rita! Yes, we are at the Fort and will be here until Oct 10th! Looking forward to seeing you, Ed and Mama again!

I've been gone because we were on an extended summer trip.

We left our home in June and took the long way traveling up to Acadia NP in Maine with our adorable GS, Aiden.

Dropped Aiden home two weeks ago and headed directly to the Fort for some "adults only" decompression time.

I love my grandchildren and we had a great time traveling with Aiden for 10 weeks...but kids are lots of work, more so as I get older and slower and the kid gets faster! :wacko:

I'm sooooo looking forward to first time at F&W. Thanks for the pictures!

Hi Gwen! Are you coming down soon? Hope to see you.

One thing I have found on the F&W as was mentioned. If country is a permanent country and they have a quick service place, some of the stuff in the Festival is served inside as a much larger serving for only a $1 or so more. The Rice Cream is a perfect example. I bet that spoonful was a $1 or $2 and inside, a full size one is $2.49

Absolutely correct Carol!

This photo made me want to grab my car keys and run out the door and head straight to Epcot:

Holy smokes, those things are good!

Thanks for the report, Karla.

Great job!

TCD

You're welcome, TCD! But trust me when I say...go inside Germany and get one of their regular brats smothered in sauerkraut.

Don't spend your money on these skinny little naked brats with the stale pretzel roll.

Great pictures and description. Definitely honest reviews.

Thanks! Stay tuned for more.

Love the food and wine festival. Thanks for the pics and report. I'm gonna have to live vicariously through these trip reports as we once again will not make it. Keep posting, can't wait.

We love F&W too. There will be more to this report as soon as we can get our stomachs back in shape and brave the heat again!

Thanks for the report we will be there from Oct 7th-14th and the wife is really looking forward to F&W and now so am I after seeing some of the photos. We plan to cruise the Fort some as we are staying in Kidani Village, hope to see some Fiends when we check out the Fort.

WOW! Thanks for the report! I went yesterday but it was so dang hot I did not try anything. Plus, I had no idea WHAT to try!?! Now I have some ideas thanks to you!. Pot stickers will be a go and Lava Cake even with no goo in the middle. You just had me scouring the bus for ANYTHING chocolate after that picture (Not a pretty site, and I had to settle for a stale cookie with chocolate on it). Can't wait to see what you try next!

I cannot partake in alcohol for at least 3 more months either so you are not alone in your pain :'(

Karla! How have you been?? Your extended trip sounds great. I hope we get a TR on that when you get a chance, if only for photos of Aiden!

I would love if once you are home you could come by and visit again. I really enjoyed meeting y'all and need to get my Fiend fix when and where I can. LOL

Hope you have a great trip! Thanks for the photos and reviews of the F&W. That is on my bucket list. :D

You're welcome, TCD! But trust me when I say...go inside Germany and get one of their regular brats smothered in sauerkraut.

Don't spend your money on these skinny little naked brats with the stale pretzel roll.

Sorry, but I can't help myself. I have to get one of the ones from the booth.

How the heck are the pretzel rolls stale already? Way to go, Disney!

TCD

Karla, Did you say you're leaving October 10th? Does that mean you are not going to be there for Halloween?

Sorry Rita...because of our unexpected summer trip (and associated costs!) we had to cancel out on Halloween.

Thanks fiends for these trip reports on the F&W. Expecting 4 sets of visitors from the north in the next few weeks. Only one set staying with us. I'm sending the various reports on to them....maybe get some more fiends in the process ;)......good going guys!!

It's nice seeing what they offer at F&W! I've never been to it, so I'm enjoying tagging along.

Hang on....we're off to Part 2

Today we continued our journey, eating our way around Epcot.

CANADA

DSCN9286-1.jpg

“Le Cellier” Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce – This was delicious! Nice tender, melt in your mouth beef, lots of mushrooms, and who could turn down truffle butter?

DSCN9481-1.jpg

GREECE

DSCN9289-1.jpg

Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki – Such a tiny taste made it hard to evaluate. The tzatziki sauce overwhelmed the luke-warm chicken. And, unfortunately the bread was dry.

DSCN9469-1.jpg

Spanakopita – Nice and warm, flaky outside, tasty inside that was not mushy.

DSCN9476-1.jpg

Griddled Greek Cheese with Pistachios and Honey – Good thing there was honey and nuts because the cheese had no taste at all.

DSCN9472-1.jpg

FRANCE

DSCN9251-1.jpg

Coq au Vin sur Gratin de Macaroni – The chicken was falling apart tender and the sauce was very flavorful. Underneath the chicken, the macaroni and cheese was somewhat dry.

DSCN9484-1.jpg

DSCN9488-1.jpg

Crème Brulee au Chocolat au Lait – Not enough chocolate flavor. More like soft pudding then like custard/flan that holds it’s shape. The caramelized sugar had an acrid burnt taste.

DSCN9487-1.jpg

POLAND

DSCN9203-1.jpg

Kielbasa and Potato Pierogie with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream – Way too little kielbasa and it was barely warm. Potato inside pierogie had a nice taste. Pierogie needed to be fried a little longer to give it some color and finish cooking the outside. Onions were cooked but not caramelized.

Like DaveInTN, I grew up in the Buffalo area and was raised on pierogies

These can’t hold a candle to “authentic” Buffalo pierogies and kielbasa.

DSCN9490-1-1.jpg

For today’s dessert we ventured into Germany and got some apple strudel with vanilla sauce. Our piece was twice the size of what they give you at Germany’s F&W festival booth for $3.79. But, the festival’s $3.50 strudel also comes with Karamel sauce on it.

DSCN9497.jpg

That’s all for today.

Have to get the stomach settled down again to be able to finish our tour around Epcot with Italy, Hops & Barley (lobster... :drool1: …yum!!) and a few others.