DaveInTN Went To The Smokies And All You Get Is This Stupid Trip Report

That video is awesome. Well done Gwen!

Thanks! I'll let her know.

Tell Gwen great job an the video, maybe she needs to apply for a job with the new Disney purchace of Lucas Films could be a great job with great benifits for mom & dad!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a plan to me! Do I get free AP's?

Did I see a Steve Martin-esqe "two wild and crazy guys" inspired gym floor dance?......and some gangham style too. Kudos!

Yes. Yes you did.

I am giving the Gwen video two thumbs up. Out with planking, in with fake falls and gangnam style. Love all the SOD and SOP footage! Did I see Anna in a Mickey costume? I need to see a photo of that! TCD

Yes...patience. Anna Mickey photos will be coming up. Promise!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, we made it back home a couple hours ago, got the trailer unloaded, blew the water out of the lines and added pink stuff to the traps in case we get a freeze before Christmas, and I'm finally sit

Good morning from our creek.

And stay tuned tomorrow. I have some interesting Russian beer to try. Different than the ones I've had before. You may get some drunk posting!

Ok, when last we left off, we had been to the apple farm, the pumpkin farm, the foreign Walmart and the fall festival. And it was only early afternoon!

We headed back to the Jellystone, where we were looking forward to a relaxing afternoon and a visit from some Fiends!

Anna was wiped out, so in for a nap she went. That allowed us to sit quietly by the creek.

DSCN0879.JPG

DSCN0880.JPG

DSCN0882.JPG

If you notice on that last picture, along the opposite bank of the creek were huge Rhododendrons. In fact, the entire bank was covered in them.

DSCN0883.JPG

I happen to be a fan of Rhododendrons, and have some in my yard. They love shady, moist environments in these parts. And if you've ever been to the Smokies and hiked into any of the valleys that are shady, chances are that the ground is COVERED with them. And, if you were lucky enough to have visited in June at the peak of their blooming, you have enjoyed one of the most beautiful displays on God's Earth. Spectacular.

Speaking of June...and I am going to hijack my own report briefly here, have any of you ever visited Elkmont during the Synchronous Firefly display in mid-June? I've been trying to get there for it for several years and, to date, have been unable to. Mark my words, I will get there before too long. If you aren't familiar with Synchronous Fireflies, they are essentially a type of firefly which only exists in a couple of locations in the world. What makes them unique is that their "flashing" is synchronized with each other. In other words, at Elkmont, you have an area of the park filled with millions of fireflies that all flash at the same time. This fascinates me. Not only because it is so rare, but also because these tiny creatures are able to coordinate this. And we don't know why they do it. Scientists speculate that is has to do with a mating ritual, or mating competition among the males. But wouldn't that be true with all fireflies?

In any case, here is some information on them in case you want to visit.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/fireflies.htm

Plus, if you visit in June for the fireflies, you will get to see the Rhododendrons in bloom too. Bonus!

Ok, back to the report. Before too long, Fiend ImDownWithDisney texted me that they had come down from the trail above our campground and were going to stop in to visit. Before long, they pulled in, parked, and brought this little guy out from the car to say hello.

DSCN0884.JPG

DSCN0885.JPG

Stinkin cute, right? They left their girls at home with the grandparents, so it was just the 3 of them. We shot the breeze creekside for a while and had a great visit. We made fun of some of you, but I'm not going to tell you who. You'll just have to be paranoid.

I'm kidding. I will tell you who. It was Bob. We made fun of Bob. No one else.

Ok, after that hilarity, it was time for them to head out to their next adventure. The unfortunate thing is, Anna slept the whole time, so they didn't get Anna hugs. I offered to hug Blake, but he politely declined.

After they left, I wandered up to the campground store to inquire about getting my propane tank filled. I got them topped off here last fall, and haven't needed to since. I guess I don't use too much propane. But anyways, while I was waiting for assistance, I wandered the store and saw this.

DSCN0886.JPG

Yikes! I bet it's made with vodka and diesel. I don't think I've ever tried Russian dressing. And I won't anytime soon.

After checking out the store, it was almost time for Candy Bar Bingo. We LOVE playing bingo! So I went back to the trailer, and Anna was STILL sleeping. Being the gentleman I am, I allowed the ladies to go on without me to play bingo, while I babysat.

DSCN0887.JPG

DSCN0888.JPG

DSCN0889.JPG

What is a guy to do when left behind at the camper babysitting a sleeping child? A guy who has a refrigerator full of Russian and Ukranian beers?

Did you guess drink Russian and Ukranian beer? If so, you are a faithful reader of DaveInTN trip reports. Free Russian dressing for you!

This was my choice for the afternoon.

2012-10-20%252015.58.35.jpg

A nice Ukranian beer. Don't ask me to translate it...but I think it means "Green Death".

Here is a true story for you. I buy my Russian beer at a little Russian market in Nashville called Aleksy's. It is run by a woman from Siberia. She is married to a Ukranian. Normally I just buy my Baltika beer. But on that day this green bottle caught my eye, so I include a bottle in my purchases. I asked her at the register about it. She smirked, and said "You never try?". I said no. She said "my husband drink. But he is from Ukraine. He like, and he handle the effect".

What the Fort? What effect?? I knew better to ask her, in a market where I was the only English speaking customer. She would have announced my question to all the old Russians shopping for their smoked fish and babkas, and they would have all had a good laugh at my expense. I wasn't about to put myself through that again. So I just paid for the beer and left.

So, here I was, alone except for a sleeping child, with a beautiful creek and a green bottle. I tried it.

Not bad! That was actually some pretty tasty brew. It went down quite easily. So despite it being a half liter bottle, it was gone fairly quickly.

And then it hit me.

Holy St Petersburg! I think they must have brewed that stuff with water from the cooling towers of Chernobyl. I know what Snow White was referring to when she said "I feel....strange". This wasn't just your standard buzz. This was definitely odd. I sat for a bit, staring at the creek. The pretty, smooth boulders started to grow fangs. They looked like they were organizing an assault on my campsite. I needed to fight them off! But I was too tired to resist. I let them at me. And yet they never moved.

Before too long, I started feeling normal again. Only with a headache. Oy! And Anna was waking up. I went in and got her up, and the two of us headed over to join the ladies for bingo. The effects were gone. That was not your run of the mill beer.

I need to get back to Aleksy's.

We didn't fare too well in candy bar bingo. Before long, it was over. We wandered back to the site. I snapped this pic as we approached site 34.

DSCN0890.JPG

My little piece of paradise for the weekend.

It was time to burn some stuff. I decided on wood.

DSCN0893.JPG

I liked that the firepit was right next to the creek. It would help keep the boulders at bay in case they decided to mount another attack.

I also decided it was time for a snack. And who doesn't like cheese?

DSCN0891.JPG

I figured one of these would go well with my cheese.

2012-10-19%252019.39.24.jpg

I was right!

Before too long, it got dark, and it was time for Trick or Treating! The girls got into their costumes. And that will have to wait for the next update.....

Wow, great update!

I learned two things from it, too.

First, I have never heard of Synchronous Fireflies. Now I want to see them too.

Second, I need to get some of that Green Death.

Thanks!

TCD

I will try to get to Aleksy's before Christmas, and if she has any more Green Death stocked I will bring some to the Fort. If the world is going to end, we may as well go out on a high.

Dave. Your trip reports are never stupid. Silly, fun and entertaining is a better description. Love everything so far.

Thanks Bo! Glad to have you reading along. This is an uncoventional trip report for me...starting out live and then morphing into retrospective mode. I hope I haven't lost anyone!

Awesome update.

Fireflies and Rhododendrons, looks like a June trip is in order for us too. My mom loves Rhododendrons and always asks about them when we visit Gatlinburg as we travel via 441 from Cherokee.

There is nothing better than sitting for a sleeping child :)

I enjoyed your comments on the green stuff. I'm such a beer wuss. The idea of risk taking for me is Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome update.

Fireflies and Rhododendrons, looks like a June trip is in order for us too. My mom loves Rhododendrons and always asks about them when we visit Gatlinburg as we travel via 441 from Cherokee.

There is nothing better than sitting for a sleeping child :)

I enjoyed your comments on the green stuff. I'm such a beer wuss. The idea of risk taking for me is Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should definitely get in a trip in June. See the fireflies. Enjoy the rhododendrons. And get yourself a bottle of Green Death. That would be quite a day.

Never knew about the fireflies. I love the Octoberfest, not sure I am up for the monster beer.

Let me know if you want directions to Aleksy's.

I never knew about the fireflies. That would be awesome to see.

I haven't seen a bottle of Russian dressing since I was a kid. We always had it in our fridge. I think I remember it being a favorite of my sister and brother.

That is some odd looking Russian dressing in that store. It looks a lot like French to me. I always thought Russian dressing was ligher colored, similar to 1000 Island. Maybe it's been sitting there a while.

You should definitely get in a trip in June. See the fireflies. Enjoy the rhododendrons. And get yourself a bottle of Green Death. That would be quite a day.

Let me know if you want directions to Aleksy's.

That is some odd looking Russian dressing in that store. It looks a lot like French to me. I always thought Russian dressing was ligher colored, similar to 1000 Island. Maybe it's been sitting there a while.

The one I remember my sister and brother liking was red like the one you have pictured. I think it was also called "Red Russian Dressing." I was not a fan of it. I did like Thousand Island though and remember that the two were completely different in taste.

I will try to get to Aleksy's before Christmas, and if she has any more Green Death stocked I will bring some to the Fort. If the world is going to end, we may as well go out on a high.

That sounds like an invite to me!

I'll be there.

I know you are following the Russian Orthodox calendar for the end of the world, so I'll need a reminder on the date.

Fireflies and Rhododendrons, looks like a June trip is in order for us too.

OK Tom, you plan it, and I'll be there too.

As long as the world doesn't end, that is.

Sounds great. Looks like it's me you and Tom.

The fireflies sound so cool! After a little "event" this past week, I don't think I'll be drinking for a LONG, LONG time!

Sorry, Rita.

But, you can't just drop in and make a statement like that and not tell what happened.

Spill it!

TCD

I'm all caught up!! Awesome report!

Thanks Carol! More to come....after a bit of a hiatus this week.

The one I remember my sister and brother liking was red like the one you have pictured. I think it was also called "Red Russian Dressing." I was not a fan of it. I did like Thousand Island though and remember that the two were completely different in taste.

I found a recipe online that is supposed to approximate the original of the guy who invented it...and it's main ingredients are mayo and ketchup. That sounds kinda gross, and I think would be pinkish in color. I think maybe I'd like the red one better.

The fireflies sound so cool! After a little "event" this past week, I don't think I'll be drinking for a LONG, LONG time!

Event??

That sounds like an invite to me!

I'll be there.

I know you are following the Russian Orthodox calendar for the end of the world, so I'll need a reminder on the date.

I don't think the world ends on the Russian calendar. They were in cahoots with the Mayans.

OK Tom, you plan it, and I'll be there too.

As long as the world doesn't end, that is.

Sounds great. Looks like it's me you and Tom.

It's a plan.

Sorry, Rita.

But, you can't just drop in and make a statement like that and not tell what happened.

Spill it!

Yes, Rita...spill it!

After they left, I wandered up to the campground store to inquire about getting my propane tank filled. I got them topped off here last fall, and haven't needed to since. I guess I don't use too much propane.

Probably your use of alternative gasses. :blowup:

I am traveling to DC today and will be working there this week. Between presentations, stupid dinner parties and election night tomorrow....I may not get back to this report until later in the week. But I will get back to it!

Oh, what a fun place to be tomorrow!

Great update Dave!

Bravo to Gwen on the video. Is this just a hobby of hers? It was awesome.

Have you ever had Kraft Catalina dressing? The Russian is very similar.

I think I'll pass on the green bottled beer. Too much like my punch, without the headache.

I got nervous when it was time to burn something. I'm glad it was just wood.

Great update Dave!

Bravo to Gwen on the video. Is this just a hobby of hers? It was awesome.

Have you ever had Kraft Catalina dressing? The Russian is very similar.

I think I'll pass on the green bottled beer. Too much like my punch, without the headache.

I got nervous when it was time to burn something. I'm glad it was just wood.

Catalina is the only dressing i will eat. there for salad will not be consumed by me if Catalina is not available. I hope you all keep that in mind. :rofl2:

• 2 weeks later...