TCD's Pre-Halloween 2012 Trip Report

You got some good nighttime photos.

It's no fun to wait a long time for a boat ride, especially at 1am.

You are right about that. We usually have good luck with the boats. Even this time, it wasn't as bad for us as it had been for the people who were all there before us. We were in the park having fun. They were out here waiting for the boat.

TCD,

What a nice surprise to log on today and see a trip report from you!!!

The new Fantasyland looks great! Can't wait to check it out.

For the past few years, I have been dying to go to the Halloween party. The timing doenst seem to work out for us.....someday though. In the meantime, I can enjoy your photos. Thanks for sharing!

Heidi

Thanks, Heidi.

October is right up there with our favorite time to visit the Fort and the WDW in general. The Food and Wine Festival in Epcot and the MNSSHP in MK are two things we really enjoy. If you can ever swing it, you should visit in October. Late October gives you a chance for some cooler weather too.

TCD

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course, I was in my prime then! :)

Any parent that tells you they don't snatch their favorite candy from their kids' Halloween stash is either lying or is allergic to chocolate. And I only put that last choice there for Jen. My kids

Okay....i cant believe you didnt buy the fifteen shirts and am puzzled why you didnt ask daisy duke for directions to her favorite stores?

To all reading along- make sure you didn't miss the update from earlier today at the bottom of page 6, before moving on to read this one.

I slept in til about 7:30 on Friday morning. That's not like me. But, I was tired. Plus, the sun rises late in late October at the Fort. Once daylight savings time ends in a couple of weeks, the sun will rise earlier, as it should, but this time of year, it's still almost dark at 7:30. No point in getting up and looking around when you can't see anything.

I hit the shower. Which was nice. Even though the 400 and 500 loops were pretty full, I was the only one in the showers. Very unlike the partial loop comfort stations, which are always busy.

By a little before 8, I was ready to head out on patrol.

As I unplugged the golf cart, I noticed an animal moving around on the next site.

It was bigger than a squirrel, but not real big.

Was it a raccoon?

No.

It was a cat.

He ran toward the next site. He's there to the right of the pad on this site:

FW101812185.jpg

Just as he headed into the bushes, the dog on the next site barked. Mr. Cat came rocketing back across the site next door:

FW101812186.jpg

Here he is on the sidewalk next to my site. Note how much bushier the bushes are than in Discamper's photo:

FW101812187.jpg

That's the last I saw of Mr. Cat.

Never saw him again all weekend.

Don't know if he belonged to anyone or was a stray.

After the cat encounter, I moved on.

Even though it was not on my way, I headed around the 300 loop, and out the back.

The deer were there, like always:

FW101812188.jpg

FW101812189.jpg

The sun was just beginning to rise. Which was good, because it washed out my view of the darned cranes down the canal:

FW101812190.jpg

Actually, I could see them, but the sun washed them out in this photo.

If you like crane photos, don't worry, there will be some coming up in just a bit.

For now, though, I needed to check on the new fence at the dam.

Why is there a new fence at the dam?

Heck if I know.

Makes no sense to me.

Yet, here it is:

FW101812192.jpg

FW101812193.jpg

There is some weird looking stuff around here.

Take, for instance, the thing that looks like a metal pilgrim hat hanging there on the fence. What is that, and why is it there?:

FW101812194.jpg

The stuff you see in that photo, other than the fence, is not new. That metal box behind the gate has been there forever. Did you hear me say gate? Yes, there's a gate there. That must mean someone needs to get to that metal box.

The fence is all the way across the bridge. With barbed wire too. Why? so nobody will steal the moss that is hanging off of that antenna? :

FW101812195.jpg

I can't remember if all these ladders and platforms were already here. It seems like there's more than there used to be, but maybe not. I never paid it much attention:

FW101812196.jpg

I call this photo dam stuff:

FW101812197.jpg

There's a gate over here too. And, just like the other, it isn't locked either:

FW101812198.jpg

Here's another shot of the metal pilgrim hat, just in case one wasn't enough for anyone:

FW101812199.jpg

And here is another unlocked gate:

FW101812200.jpg

Does that make sense?

Put up a big fence. With barbed wire and all. And then leave all the gates unlocked?

Sounds about right for Disney.

You can see that on the other side of that last gate, there is a concrete beam that goes across the canal, and a hand rail on one side. I think that concrete beam has always been there. It never crossed my mind to go out and walk on it. But, since there is a gate here suggesting I shouldn't, I now wanted to. There are no signs or anything saying not to. So, I did. This is what I saw:

FW101812201.jpg

Just some more dam stuff. If you look closely there toward the bottom, you can see water is flowing from Bay Lake into the canal. Earlier this year, they had a giant pump here pumping water out of the canal into the lake. Dam business is complicated.

Here's a closer look at the water flow:

FW101812202.jpg

Here's the view from the concrete beam looking out into the lake. The sun is rising to my right, and the lake is reflecting the trees and clouds. Pretty nice:

FW101812203.jpg

I checked the water level while I was out there. If they ever put locks on those gates, I won't be able to do that anymore:

FW101812204.jpg

Now we are looking down the canal toward the 300 loop, there are no gates on that side of the bridge:

FW101812205.jpg

Here is one more sunrise photo. I love how the barbed wire contrasts against this scenic view. Thanks, Disney:

FW101812206.jpg

You can't really see them very well in that photo, but I could see those new buoys that I had seen the day before out there in the lake.

They are over here, on the eastern edge of Bay Lake:

FW101812207.jpg

Let me zoom in on that photo for you:

buoys.jpg

That whole line of bouys is new.

Why are all those new bouys there?

Why is there that crazy fence on the bridge?

I don't know.

But there must be a reason.

Right?

I didn't notice anything new on the other side of the canal, and the old cabin is just sitting there quietly rotting like always:

FW101812208.jpg

And, now we are at my favorite place in the Fort. So, I took two photos:

FW101812209.jpg

FW101812210.jpg

I headed down the path toward the Settlement.

No one else was around.

There were no signs of any impending construction or anything at all happening back here.

This is the site where the new BBQ Pavilion is supposed to be going. Nothing was happening here:

FW101812211.jpg

I sure hope some of these trees survive whatever it is that happens back here, but I'm afraid they won't:

FW101812212.jpg

I stayed a moment to enjoy the scene.

One day, I will come out here, and there will be bulldozers.

I try not to think about that too much.

From here, I headed out behind the Settlement Trading Post.

Where I saw something that brought a big smile to my face.

TCD

First early morning at the Fort....love the pics.

Not sure about all the dam stuff. The unlocked gate is priceless.

Where exactly is your favorite spot at the Fort? How do I get there again? I could go back an re-read old reports, but please save me the trouble sir!

I love the early morning at the Fort parts of your TRs!

More great updates. You know TCD reports are my favorite thing. I just wish I could keep up better. I'm confident that life/work will calm down one day and I can stay on top of you. Wait, that doesn't sound right, I mean, stay on top of your updates. ???

I learned the "Male bathroom etiquette" at a local racetrack about 20 years ago. I asked Trevor why he could finish in 1/4 the amount of time it took me in the restroom. He explained that their "toilet" was actually a trough. Hence, many men could go at once.

I thought that was very cool, but not much in the way of privacy. I asked him if he was self-conscience when going. That was when he explained the rules:

Do not make eye contact, strike up a conversation, or even glance right or left!

I would not do well in the mens room.

I'm assuming there is also an unwritten "No picture rule" also. ^_^

When I found that fence and those buoys last month, I KNEW it wouldn't be long before you would be standing back there scratching your head. You did not disappoint.

I would bet that nothing good is coming from it.

He explained that their "toilet" was actually a trough. Hence, many men could go at once.

Humph, a high maintenance man won't use the trough and make their spouse miss wrecks while waiting on him. :beathorse:

Go Trevor and the trough! :jumpforjoy or should that be :flush2:

:clint:

FW101812199.jpg

If you look closely you can see wires coming of the pilgrim hat. I will hazard a guess that it will transmit water levels to a data collection point. I wonder also if it will allow remote control for opening and closing the dam. The fence may be to keep people away from the equipment when they open and close so no one can get hurt as there won't be anyone there to warn them in person.

The trough is a no picture zone for sure. However, you can't even just use the stare straight ahead rule with the trough, because there could be someone directly across from you. You have to kind of stare up or straight down, but never right, left, or straight ahead. The trough has different rules than the traditional urinal wall. There you just stare into the extremely dirty cinder block in front of you. It is amazing how many boogers people place on the walls at eye level in front of the urinals too. WTF? Maybe that is funny and manly to some, but it is pretty gross where I come from. I think pure hell would be dying and being reincarnated as a stadium men's bathroom floor or wall! Just saying.

Great pictures and really cool being in the new section of Fantasyland late like that with no one around your right that will probably never happen again. Also love your early morning trips around the Fort I agree it is the best time of the day, I always enjoy wlking around there early with my morning coffee just takeing in the sites.

We got to enjoy the meeting with Belle thanks to one of your other TR just happened to be on the site the morning we were going to the MK so we knew to lookk for it if not we would have probably just walked right by there without ehinking about it, thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Heidi.

October is right up there with our favorite time to visit the Fort and the WDW in general. The Food and Wine Festival in Epcot and the MNSSHP in MK are two things we really enjoy. If you can ever swing it, you should visit in October. Late October gives you a chance for some cooler weather too.

TCD

I know we would love an October Disney visit. Between the Halloween party and the Food and Wine Festival, it would be so much fun. Hopefully, in a few more years, we will be able to be at Disney at that time. Our problem over the years has been that the kids dont have any school breaks in October and its just too expensive to fly down from NH for a long weekend. Our youngest is in 11th grade though, so we wont be tied to school schedules too much longer.

Loved the latest update with your early morning at the fort. Course now, I am REALLY missing the fort!!!

Heidi

Here we go.

I'll respond to the comments, and then we will be back to exploring the Fort.

Pretty morning!!!!

It sure was. We were blessed with awesome (or as you like to say AUsome) weather on this trip. That's one thing I love about October, there is a good chance for a little break from the heat.

First early morning at the Fort....love the pics.

Not sure about all the dam stuff. The unlocked gate is priceless.

Where exactly is your favorite spot at the Fort? How do I get there again? I could go back an re-read old reports, but please save me the trouble sir!

I love the early morning at the Fort parts of your TRs!

The secret spot isn't that much of a secret- head out the back exit from the 300 loop, over the bridge, and head straight for the lake. You're there. No golf carts or bikes back here, though. Foot only. Or so the signs say. This is also a favorite place for Fiends to watch the MK fireworks. Sometimes they rig up speakers and play the soundtrack. Sometimes, you will share the space with a wagon full of folks out on a wagon ride.

More great updates. You know TCD reports are my favorite thing. I just wish I could keep up better. I'm confident that life/work will calm down one day and I can stay on top of you. Wait, that doesn't sound right, I mean, stay on top of your updates. ???

I learned the "Male bathroom etiquette" at a local racetrack about 20 years ago. I asked Trevor why he could finish in 1/4 the amount of time it took me in the restroom. He explained that their "toilet" was actually a trough. Hence, many men could go at once.

I thought that was very cool, but not much in the way of privacy. I asked him if he was self-conscience when going. That was when he explained the rules:

Do not make eye contact, strike up a conversation, or even glance right or left!

I would not do well in the mens room.

I'm assuming there is also an unwritten "No picture rule" also. ^_^

When I found that fence and those buoys last month, I KNEW it wouldn't be long before you would be standing back there scratching your head. You did not disappoint.

I would bet that nothing good is coming from it.

Yes, Trevor told you right about that section of the Man Code.

I don't know what to make of those buoys. My best guess is that they are calling that end of the lake a preserve or something, and they just want to keep all boat traffic out.

That's it?! You haven't solved the dam fencing mystery? :panic:

I'm still curious why security was coming from the other side so early in the morning? :suspense:

Yes, that's it for now. Sometimes it takes a while for me to figure things out.

One thing that I'm sure of now, that I wasn't sure of before, is that the fencing is related just to the dam- not to anything else. They haven't closed off the bridge. There was some discussion on another thread about the fencing maybe being some kind of insurance or safety requirement. I think that's the case. For all we know, an employee might have fallen in the water there and OSHA is involved. It looks like something the government would require.

The buoys, I don't know. It is interesting that the buoys and fence showed up at about the same time, after a long time of nothing happening back here.

Humph, a high maintenance man won't use the trough and make their spouse miss wrecks while waiting on him. :beathorse:

Go Trevor and the trough! :jumpforjoy or should that be :flush2:

:clint:

Is your man high maintenance? I wouldn't have guessed that.

If you look closely you can see wires coming of the pilgrim hat. I will hazard a guess that it will transmit water levels to a data collection point. I wonder also if it will allow remote control for opening and closing the dam. The fence may be to keep people away from the equipment when they open and close so no one can get hurt as there won't be anyone there to warn them in person.

I have to admit that's a pretty logical theory.

But not as exciting as mine, which involves aliens and mother ships.

The trough is a no picture zone for sure. However, you can't even just use the stare straight ahead rule with the trough, because there could be someone directly across from you. You have to kind of stare up or straight down, but never right, left, or straight ahead. The trough has different rules than the traditional urinal wall. There you just stare into the extremely dirty cinder block in front of you. It is amazing how many boogers people place on the walls at eye level in front of the urinals too. WTF? Maybe that is funny and manly to some, but it is pretty gross where I come from. I think pure hell would be dying and being reincarnated as a stadium men's bathroom floor or wall! Just saying.

Whoa!

Hang on here a minute, you Detroit folks have two sided troughs? I haven't seen one of those.

The troughs I have encountered hang on a wall, and the men line up on one side, face the wall, and take care of business. This two sided thing sounds kind of dangerous.

That cat has been around for a bit. We told the front desk about it but from what I can tell, they haven't done anything yet. I found it sleeping in my chair the other day.

The front desk probaby figures one of the roaming bears will take care of the cat problem.

Great pictures and really cool being in the new section of Fantasyland late like that with no one around your right that will probably never happen again. Also love your early morning trips around the Fort I agree it is the best time of the day, I always enjoy wlking around there early with my morning coffee just takeing in the sites.

We got to enjoy the meeting with Belle thanks to one of your other TR just happened to be on the site the morning we were going to the MK so we knew to lookk for it if not we would have probably just walked right by there without ehinking about it, thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Glad you got to see the Belle thing. Was anybody in your crew part of the show?

Nice to hear that there's another Fiend who appreciates the early morning. There are quite a few of us. But, then there's a large group who insist on sleeping in. Like they are on vacation or something.

I love the pics of what my family and i call

"Walt's Point"

I never knew there was a dam at the fort

so much to do and see

glad you are having fun

Walt's Point?

Never heard it called that.

I wonder if Walt ever stood there?

I think he might have. And, I'll bet he liked it.

TCD

I know we would love an October Disney visit. Between the Halloween party and the Food and Wine Festival, it would be so much fun. Hopefully, in a few more years, we will be able to be at Disney at that time. Our problem over the years has been that the kids dont have any school breaks in October and its just too expensive to fly down from NH for a long weekend. Our youngest is in 11th grade though, so we wont be tied to school schedules too much longer.

Loved the latest update with your early morning at the fort. Course now, I am REALLY missing the fort!!!

Heidi

I understand about the whole school vacation thing.

There are a lot of school districts these days that have "Fall" breaks. That would be nice.

I'm not sure if it will ever work out for you to visit in late October, but if you ever get the chance, do. You really need to try both the Food and Wine Festival and a Halloween Party- they are both a lot of fun. Those are probably our two favorite WDW special events.

TCD

Wow so much to get caught up on after getting in on the first page. I have a few comments.

1. iPad picture lady, I don't get it. The last thing I want to do is lug my iPad around and use it for picture taking, but you're right, I see this all the time.

2. Halloween costume people watching was classic. You gotta respect people's courage to sport some of those outfits. I'm a lttle too self conscious to participate in that because I know someone would be snapping photos of me :)

3. I've always laughed when I see people gnawing on turkey legs in 90-95 degree weather, but in an air conditioned environment it is totally acceptable. And, they looked very good!

4. What are the two words you never want to hear in the men's restroom? I'll let everyone figure that one out :)

Great report as usual, I can't wait for more.

Time for an update.

It is still early Friday morning.

Most people are still fast asleep.

But, we just looked at the dam, the secret spot, the new BBQ site, and have emerged from the woods behind the Settlement Trading Post.

I said I saw something here that made me smile.

It was this:

FW101812213.jpg

Those of you who have visited the Fort between October and February know what made me smile. For those that haven't, that photo is a photo of the back of site 114.

Site 114 has had the same occupant for the fall and winter for the last few years.

Site 114 is known to the Fiends as Fiesty's site.

Let's take a closer look. I had never seen one of these inflatable Halloween trailers before:

FW101812214.jpg

I remember this Headless Horseman inflatable, because I really like it:

FW101812215.jpg

This is the path that runs into the 100 loop next to Fiesty's site:

FW101812216.jpg

And now we are looking at the front of Fiesty's site. She has aquired a few more signs since last year:

FW101812217.jpg

Fiesty usually has the same across the path neighbor who also does a good job with the decorations:

FW101812218.jpg

Here's a look down the loop. Grumpy and Grandma's site is just out of the view in this photo, to the left:

FW101812219.jpg

I have never seen Fiesty in the morning, and today was no exception. She is more of what you might call a night owl.

From here, I headed over to Trail's End for some coffee. On the way in, I noticed a truck in the field next to the TCD ranch. Trucks are rarely a good thing. So, I had to investigate:

FW101812220.jpg

This was a false alarm. The truck belonged to a pest control CM, who was just spraying the grass.

For any Wild Women reading along, and any other barrel fans, here's a barrel photo for you:

FW101812221.jpg

Here's a look down toward Trail's End. As you can see, the sun is just starting to rise, and hit the tops of the trees over by the playground. I love this time of morning, as things start to come alive:

FW101812222.jpg

I saw a piece of paper was taped to the seat of the barrel, so I walked over to see what was up:

FW101812223.jpg

Not a good thing for the barrel lovers:

FW101812224.jpg

And the same bad news was posted on the other barrel:

FW101812225.jpg

I call this photo two OOO BOF's:

FW101812226.jpg

The fact that these BOF's are OOO is not going to be well received by the women who have been saving their quarters all year for their February invasion of the Fort.

Do you know about this?

I don't know too much, but from what I gather, these ladies enjoy the BOF's.

Why?

I'm not exactly sure, but I think a closer look at the rules of use may shed some light on it:

barrelzoom.jpg

The barrel says to be seated, but it doesn't say where.

And, I'm not sure what chap jiggling is, but I am guessing that is what the ladies enjoy.

You know what?

Let's move on.

I am not comfortable discussing this subject.

But first, I have two new photos for the TCD "sunrise over ________" series.

I call this one Sunrise over Barrels of Fun:

FW101812227.jpg

And, this one is called Sunrise over Barrels of Fun II:

FW101812228.jpg

After the BOF distraction, I finally made it in to Trail's End for some coffee. I took a photo of the take-out breakfast menu so I could check it later to see if anything has changed. I don't think anything has:

FW101812229.jpg

This was the first morning of my three mornings I would enjoy at the Fort this trip, so I made a mental note to pencil in one of those bagel sandwiches for one morning. I already had something planned for breakfast today, but that left me with two more chances. Since I am not big on cliffhangers, I will tell you right now that I never made it back for the bagel sandwich. But, I did get something else one morning that was pretty good.

Since this was a Friday, as expected, I found my good friend Josephine hard at work out on the Trail's End porch:

FW101812230.jpg

Did you see the squirrel?

Of course you did.

It looks like that squirrel is eating some kind of treat that someone left him to eat on the porch. But that is not what he's doing, because nobody is allowed to feed the wildlife at the Fort. If you don't believe me, check your picnic table:

FW101812231.jpg

This photos makes in look like Ms. Josephine was playing giant Jenga with a guest. But, she wasn't:

FW101812232.jpg

My favorite rocker was open. And, someone has trimmed the bushes since I last sat here. Winning:

FW101812233.jpg

You know what's hard to believe?

In less than a month, all the leaves will be off those trees in that little circle and there is going to be a giant Christmas tree in there:

FW101812234.jpg

What you see here is the last swing set at the Fort. There used to be many more, but now this is it:

FW101812235.jpg

I would not be surprised in the least if it disappears one of these days.

Here's a look down the path to River Country. Or, as it is known these days, the BBQ pavilion:

FW101812236.jpg

I love that path and the view.

Sadly, plans have already been drawn to ruin it.

This might look like a photo of pretty flowers to you, but those pretty flowers are hiding a dirty little secret:

FW101812237.jpg

See that fence back there behind the flowers? That is the fence that surrounds the space where the old River Country wagon used to be:

FW101812238.jpg

You can barely see the fence anymore:

FW101812239.jpg

Thats how the Disney suits want it.

They want us to forget all about that wagon.

And the fact that they stole it from the Fort to use in their stupid new DVC.

But, I haven't forgotten.

When that wagon shows back up all fixed up and pretty as a showpiece at the DVC, they had better have it locked up good. Because if they don't, I'm going to drag it back here to where it belongs.

Speaking of dumb things, the bike racks for Trail's End are still stuck out over there where the don't belong:

FW101812240.jpg

Nobody uses these. Instead, bikes are being parked in the golf cart parking spaces. I wish people wouldn't do that. It makes a lot of extra work for me to have to get off the cart and throw their bikes in the bushes before I park.

I think that covers everything worth mentioning about this visit to Trail's End. Ms. Josephine was still hard at work, so I didn't get a chance to chat with her:

FW101812241.jpg

Since this was the first morning of this visit to the Fort, that meant I needed to go and check on River Country to make sure they haven't ripped it down and put up a new DVC when I wasn't looking.

So, we will head there next.

TCD

I bet a lot of folks are hoping for another installment before the weekend! (hint, hint!)

I was way ahead of you there, Marty.

With any luck, I'll squeeze in one more today.

Wow so much to get caught up on after getting in on the first page. I have a few comments.

1. iPad picture lady, I don't get it. The last thing I want to do is lug my iPad around and use it for picture taking, but you're right, I see this all the time.

2. Halloween costume people watching was classic. You gotta respect people's courage to sport some of those outfits. I'm a lttle too self conscious to participate in that because I know someone would be snapping photos of me :)

3. I've always laughed when I see people gnawing on turkey legs in 90-95 degree weather, but in an air conditioned environment it is totally acceptable. And, they looked very good!

4. What are the two words you never want to hear in the men's restroom? I'll let everyone figure that one out :)

Great report as usual, I can't wait for more.

Tom-

Great to see you posting! I'm surprised you didn't comment on the new fence. You like to fish off that bridge, don't you?

Two words you never want to hear in the men's restroom? I can think of more than two. But, maybe this is not a discussion I want to start.

Looks like the Settlement is well and good! (except for the wagon)

Yes, all was good in the Settlement. Well, that is except for the BOF's.

You will be seeing that for yourself very soon!

Have a great trip!

TCD

On the Belle show we did not get picked to help but 2 youngmen in our group that were picked help make the show better, lets just put it that they were not real masculine type of guys 1 was picked as a guard and the other was picked as Belles father locked in the cold damp cell it made the show real interesting.

Is your man high maintenance? I wouldn't have guessed that.

Generally no, but this time, for some reason, he wasn't into using the trough. Maybe it was 2 sided or there were rule breakers in there, I don't know. But he left the trough restroom to find a more "private" one, and I was waiting while there was a good wreck. Tsk tsk tsk. :beathorse:

One of the reasons I love NASCAR, women can generally make it through the restroom lines quicker than the men. About time you guys have to wait! :clint:

On the Belle show we did not get picked to help but 2 youngmen in our group that were picked help make the show better, lets just put it that they were not real masculine type of guys 1 was picked as a guard and the other was picked as Belles father locked in the cold damp cell it made the show real interesting.

I can picture it. Funny. And, I think this aspect of this attraction is what will give it a lot of repeat business- it is going to be a lttle different every time. The first time we went, the Beast was a really little girl who didn't want to participate, so her mom had to help her. It was cute. The second time, the beast was a boy about 3 or 4 years old- he followed the instructions of the CM's and did a great job. It really was cute. I am looking forward to just watching the show some time. Maybe just once I won't get tapped for guard duty.

Generally no, but this time, for some reason, he wasn't into using the trough. Maybe it was 2 sided or there were rule breakers in there, I don't know. But he left the trough restroom to find a more "private" one, and I was waiting while there was a good wreck. Tsk tsk tsk. :beathorse:

One of the reasons I love NASCAR, women can generally make it through the restroom lines quicker than the men. About time you guys have to wait! :clint:

Oh, if it was a double sided trough, then I understand completely. That kind of contraption creates all kinds of Man Code issues. I hope I never see one.

That's funny about the ladies getting done quicker than the men at the races. I have gone to a few hockey games at our local arena, and there is often a line outside the ladies' room. I took the girls to a Jonas Brothers concert there once, and found that they had turned all of the mens' rooms into ladies' rooms for the concert, and all the dads had to wait on line for the one mens' restroom that was left.

TCD

Let's get another update squeezed in here.

This is another batch of photos from Friday morning.

You're probably thinking that there seem to be an awful lot of pictures from Friday morning.

There are.

It has been a while since I've had a plain old Fort trip, and I took a good long look around.

There had been talk of doing a rope drop on this trip, and I didn't know if I would have another chance to make the rounds, so I did all I could this first morning.

The last update finished with me getting ready to go and check out River Country.

Here we are on the way there-it's at the end of this path:

FW101812242.jpg

I paused along the way to get another "Sunrise over _________" shot.

I call this one Sunrise over Crockett's Tavern Porch:

FW101812244.jpg

And, I stopped one more time for another photo, which I call Sunrise over Pioneer Hall:

FW101812245.jpg

That last one is a limited edition. As, everything you see in that photo may soon become a giant mess of a construction site.

Here we are at the old River Country ticket window-those plants growing on the roof are growing like weeds:

FW101812246.jpg

I like how this sign looks, but I object to the old River Country Paviliion being used the way it now is:

FW101812247.jpg

You see that little building to the right of the ticket booth? They used to keep an owl in there. I'll bet a lot of you didn't know that:

FW101812248.jpg

Just as I was getting back on my cart to drive into the old River Country area, one of the Fishing Guides drove up and parked his cart next to the ticket booth. The Fishing Guides use that building, you know:

FW101812249.jpg

As Michelle Tanner would say: "How rude!"

I waited a couple of minutes hoping that maybe the guy was just picking up or dropping off something, but he didn't come back out.

I could have walked back there to look around, but I didn't feel like it.

So, I skipped the River Country inspection.

Don't worry, we will get back here later.

For, now, though, there is something else I needed to check on.

Here we go out of the Settlement. This path is maybe my second favorite place in the Fort:

FW101812250.jpg

Any guesses to where we are heading next?

Did anyone say to check on the Four Seasons project?

If so, you are right.

Normally, I would be on the 1500 loop, and I would just walk out to the canal and check on things.

Today, though, I headed down to the 1800 loop, and parked the cart there by the gate about half-way around the loop.

There was another cart parked there- and I could see a couple of guys were fishing in the canal.

You can't see them too well in this photo, but there were several turkeys and a couple of deer hanging out on the other side of the canal. If I had a rifle, I would be all set for Thanksgiving now:

FW101812251.jpg

When I walk down from the 1500 loop, I have a little bit of time to prepare myself for what I am about to see.

I didn't today. There it stood:

FW101812252.jpg

As you can see, the sun was already up in the sky and blazing down on me:

FW101812253.jpg

I call this photo Sunrise over the Pine Trees behind the 1800 Loop with Reflection of a Crane and Building Skeleton:

FW101812254.jpg

I need to work on that title.

Here's one of the young men who were fishing in the canal:

FW101812255.jpg

As I walked up, he got a bite:

FW101812256.jpg

Nice bass! :

FW101812257.jpg

I call this photo The Abomination:

FW101812258.jpg

I call this photo A Closer Look at the Abomination:

FW101812260.jpg

It looks kind of nice in that lighting. But there is nothing nice about this. Nothing. Well, maybe there's one thing. They are going to have a Lazy River there. And, it is walking distance from the Fort. And, maybe they will hire the same kind of security guards as the Fort.

A man can dream.

I have seen enough of that.

So, now we are heading back.

These two egrets don't seem to care one bit about the abomination:

FW101812264.jpg

I like looking better this way than the other:

FW101812265.jpg

And, now we are back to where I parked the cart.

Speaking of abominations, guess whose site was just across from where I parked?

Actually, I don't know whose site this is. But fellow Fiend The Troll said that it was a couple of guys named Fred and Lamont:

FW101812266.jpg

I'm going to stop this post here, and the next one will be devoted to the glories of Fred and Lamont's site.

TCD