Our Wildest Halloween Ride through the Wilderness!

Wednesday, October 31 – Problems, Problems!

I forgot to post our site pics. Here we are on 703:

Picture541.jpg

Picture542.jpg

Gotta get rid of that blue sewer hose! Even David agrees.

After breakfast in Dolly I made a costly mistake. We were running a space heater to avoid using diesel in the HydroHot. You know, use Disney’s electricity instead of our fuel logic.

I turned on the hair dryer, and poof! All our electricity went away!

Then David was outside and noticed water dripping down on a tire cover. WTF? We discovered that the bathroom faucet was leaking, and the water was going through the floor under the sink and onto the tire.

So we turned in our rental car and returned to the fort to tackle the problems. I borrowed allen wrenches and washers from Mike (he really travels prepared for anything!). But we couldn’t fix the sink because it required a cartridge change. So for the rest of the trip we lived with buckets and towels stuffed under the sink.

As for the electrical problem, we couldn’t figure anything out and finally called Gary Mikkelsen (407.301.4487). He had been recommended here on FF.net awhile back. He only works on appliances and electrical issues, BTW. Anyway, with his help we figured out that we had tripped the breaker on the inverter. Where, oh where is the inverter? After much searching and arguing with Gary over whether we even had one, we finally located it, flipped the switch, and had electricity again. He only charged us about $150 for the call, which I thought was very reasonable.

But we had spent $150 trying to save a few gallons of diesel. Never again.

At 5:00 we saw the golf cart parade -- our first time seeing one. It was a little underwhelming. Few spectacular carts like in years past. I know others have already posted photos, but I’ll add some of my own.

Picture543.jpg

Picture544.jpg

Picture545.jpg

Picture546.jpg

Picture547.jpg

Picture548.jpg

Picture549.jpg

Picture551.jpg

Picture552.jpg

Picture553.jpg

Picture554.jpg

Picture555.jpg

Picture556.jpg

Picture557.jpg

Picture559.jpg

Picture560.jpg

Picture561.jpg

Picture562.jpg

Cooked dinner (crab cakes, tartar sauce, green peas, and coleslaw) and called it a night. It had been a stressful day!

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanna go back... and I want everyone to come toooooooo

Friday, November 2 – Major Pixie Dust! -- Part 1 Had breakfast in the moho, then we had another long wait at the bus stop. Finally got to EPCOT: How often do you see a rainbow and the moon at the sa

Thank you! I have to be awake at 5am to receive more pixie dust tomorrow but I can't sleep. David has been snoring for an hour. I'm frustrated.

Wow! Over 1800 views on my TR already! Thank you all for reading! My last trip report http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/5767-david-and-gwen-battle-the-spring-break-crowds/ had around 5,700 views. Hopefully I can top that with this one. This trip was much more exciting, we had so much pixie dust, so many Fiends, firsts, food ...

It will be awhile before I can get the next day posted. It was a very special day with a Disney VIP! Lots of photos to sort through and identify.

Gwen your pictures are great. Thanks for taking so many good ones of the Tea and GG. It was a great afternoon with great Ladies. The night of the GG was COLD, but it was warmed by having many great Fiends get together.

I am jealous of Gwen's special day with the VIP. I would have loved to go on that tour

It was such a great day! Wish you could have joined us!

More great pics Gwen.

YOU have a blue sewer hose!?!? ???

Sorry about your MH issues, but at least it happened at the Fort, where everything is less stressful.

Yes, but I didn't buy it. David did. Now he wants to get rid of it because he realizes it doesn't match anything!

MH issues ... what else is new? If you have an RV, you have issues.

Gwen your pictures are great. Thanks for taking so many good ones of the Tea and GG. It was a great afternoon with great Ladies. The night of the GG was COLD, but it was warmed by having many great Fiends get together.

Thank you! I loved the tea party. And if it weren't for the Fiends, there was no way I would have been outdoors that night!

thanks for the update!

Thank you for reading along!

What great photos... I love the UP golf cart... they had to win something...

I think they did. We didn't stick around for the winners, though.

Enjoying your TR! How cool to have tea with all the ladies at the GF!

Yes, it was so cool! This is a great group of ladies!

enjoying your TR

Melissa, thanks for reading!

Enjoying your TR. Looking forward to your VIP tour day.

I'm looking forward to sharing it with you!

Thursday, November 1 – A Special Date with a VIP!

We left the fort early.

20121101_074402.jpg

The MK had early EMH, so we saw the opening show (David’s first time).

20121101_075417.jpg

20121101_075502.jpg

20121101_075602.jpg

Then we stepped onto Main Street and I was just blown away by the early morning light hitting the castle:

Castleinmorninglight.jpg

We visited Peter Pan

20121101_081021.jpg

the Barnstormer

20121101_083137.jpg

Winnie the Pooh

20121101_082607.jpg

Buzz (you may remember in March I scored 999,999 and beat David in a landslide ... this time I won't post my miserable score)

20121101_085052.jpg

and BTMRR.

Picture068.jpg

Then we came home to the fort to get ready for our big date with a VIP. Earlier in the trip we were at the bus station at MK and a VIP bus arrived. The doors opened and the VIPS started getting off ... they were bus drivers! So we all know and love a Disney VIP -- Lou!

Picture001.jpg

Our first destination was the beautiful Casting building:

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Even the doorknobs are impressive:

Picture011.jpg

I wasn't supposed to take pictures inside. (I think maybe TCD sneaked a few into one of his earlier TRs.) We walked into the breathtaking foyer and saw the long hallway leading up to the second floor. The hall is lined with murals of different Disney scenes. If that entrance is meant to infuse future CMs with Disney magic, then it certainly meets its goal.

I did sneak one picture of my favorite mural:

Picture012.jpg

Thursday, November 1 – A Special Date with a VIP! -- Part 2

Our next stop was Team Disney:

Picture014.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Unfortunately we couldn't go into the atrium where the sundial is because it is under renovation. But hopefully these pictures will give you an idea of what it looks like. It is huge!

Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture032.jpg

And we had lunch there in the CM cafeteria. And I believe I have bragging rights on these pics -- don't think even TCD has posted pics in here!

Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

My lunch -- pork chop and spinach:

Picture026.jpg

More pics inside Team Disney:

Picture029.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Picture033.jpg

And another pic outside as we were leaving:

Picture034.jpg

Then we went touring behind the MK scenes. I don't know if these pics are in the right order. Having to depend on my camera data.

The boat maintenance area:

Boatmaintenance.jpg

DSCN0113.jpg

The garage where they have lifts to work on the buses:

Busrepairshop.jpg

The monorail and train maintenance area:

Tothemonorailandtrainshops.jpg

DSCN0109.jpg

Two of the four fire departments:

Picture006.jpg

Firestation.jpg

And other pics:

DSCN0115.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

Thursday, November 1 – A Special Date with a VIP! -- Part 3

Ever wonder what the town of Reedy Creek looks like? I believe there are seven houses there.

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

We even saw the sewage and recycling center. Didn't want a pic of it.

We saw the area where most of the MK fireworks are shot off. Lou told us that quickly as we zoomed by it, and I didn't get a picture. We were amazed that it's at least a quarter mile away from the castle.

Our last stop was the CM store and Property Control:

DSCN0118.jpg

This was not what I was expecting! They even sold basic groceries in there. A lot of the merchandise we saw there was the same as what the Disney Character Outlet had, and it was at the same price. We picked up just a few things. Lou got some great wine glasses at the area where he couldn't bring guests in.

We had a great tour, and we are so grateful to Lou for this opportunity!

Dinner tonight was steak with melted gorgonzola, crab dip, salad, and green peas.

Do we have to go home in a few days? We’d rather just live here. Coming up: major pixie dust -- as if we haven't already had our fair share!

Boy a special tour with Lou, what more could you ask for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. It was great!

Looks like you had a great day with Lou. Sorry I missed it but my leg just couldn't take much walking. :(

I understand, and you made the right decision. There was quite a bit of walking. But it would have been even more fun with you along!

Awesome day!!!

Thanks, Carol. Yes, it was!

Awesome TR so far Gwen! It was so nice to finally meet you and hope to see you again soon! Ready to see more!

Thank you to you too, Rita. It was great to meet you too! Will try to post another update in the morning. Still have several hundred photos to upload, and that seems to take forever.

Friday, November 2 – Major Pixie Dust! -- Part 1

Had breakfast in the moho, then we had another long wait at the bus stop.

DSCN0124.jpg

Finally got to EPCOT:

DSCN0126.jpg

How often do you see a rainbow and the moon at the same time? Extend the arc of the rainbow just a little and you will find the moon about a half inch to the left of center.

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0133.jpg

Could you find the moon? I was disappointed that it didn't show up as well on the photo as I could actually see it.

We first visited Figment (IBALT):

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0140.jpg

DSCN0141.jpg

DSCN0142.jpg

DSCN0144.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0149.jpg

DSCN0150.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

I built a Fiend Figment:

DSCN0158.jpg

I remember that Journey Into Imagination used to be so much fun when the kids were little. Now it's just okay. Wish Disney would return it to its original format!

At this point I wanted to go back and see The Seas with Nemo & Friends. David didn't want to backtrack that much, but thankfully I talked him into it.

DSCN0172.jpg

DSCN0162.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

After we exited Nemo, we saw that the manatees were out playing.

DSCN0170.jpg

They were much more active today than we have ever seen them. We watched them quite awhile, then we got a big dose of pixie dust!

We were the only older couple without kids in the area. Every other family was young with rowdy kids. I think that had something to do with why we were chosen ... and the fact that we had stayed there so long watching.

Brittany, a CM, approached us and asked if we would like to have a special behind-the-scenes tour of the manatee area. Would we!!!

So we went backstage (sorry, no photos allowed). We were shown how they lift the glass dome off the top of the building to attach a sling to a hook to hoist the manatees in and out of the water and also to weigh them.

Then we were given a lot of info about rescuing manatees and sea turtles.

The two manatees then swam into the back area within just a few feet of us. Open water, no glass, we could have reached out and touched them.

Interesting tidbit – the floor in the tank lifts up to allow the workers easier access to the manatees.

Then we were taken into the lab and operating room. The usual equipment you would expect was there … x-ray machine, etc. I was amazed by the waterproof CT scan machine. It’s only 12-14” square and about 4” thick.

Some interesting facts we discovered:

• Manatees live over 20 years
  • Each manatee eats 80 heads of lettuce each per day
  • Manatees are solitary, not pack, animals. You will find them together only when they are seeking warmer water.
  • Disney has an alliance with Sea World. Disney takes in what Sea World rescues. Disney releases if possible. Vail has been here years and probably will never be released, but the other one has been here about a year and will be released if possible.
  • A manatee calf stays with its mother about two years.
  • Fish can be operated on out of the water for several hours. Disney has a machine they hook to the fish that keeps water flowing through the gills.
  • And do you know how they anesthetize the animals for surgery? They put the medicine in the water they are swimming in!

It was all so interesting and informative. We stayed in the back about 30 minutes, but then we had to leave so the handlers could give the manatees their medications (hidden in sweet potatoes).

This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I’m so thrilled that we just happened to be chosen!

All caught up Gwen!

Great morning castle shot. Love the mornings when it's not swamped by people.

Glad you had a good day with Lou. He talks a big game online, but he's a softie in real life. :)

That's awesome that you got to see backstage at the manatees. Even though I see them in the wild almost every weekend, I'm still fascinated by them and get excited.