TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving @ The Fort 2012

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK- I cry uncle!!! I am from Missouri - but Oklahoma was close. Our family had been in Pizza Planet at DHS when we saw you (my daughter noticing your girls first), everyone had to go to the bathroom

Send your daughters on Operation Beefcake for me!

"I think I might know something about this secret Hidden Mickey you mention. On one of our recent visits to the new Little Mermaid ride, there was an off duty CM walking through the queue with us. S

In regards to the truck being back there, it's probably not the case here, but some people use this spot to load and unload carts into the pickup bed.

There's a drop off between the dirt road and the canal. They park the truck at the bottom of the drop so that the ramp for the cart isn't so steep.

I've seen it like 3 times and thought it was clever, plus the off-piste vehicle appeals to my rebel nature. Not that I'd ever have a vehicle out of bounds!!!

Oh the suspense, I am hanging on the edge of my seat, I tell ya!!!! More, More, :suspense:

Patience.

Patience.

I am writing a masterpiece here.

I need a little time.

I just teared up a little.

I reckon your spot would have been in that photo had I taken it a couple of days earlier?

Return of the purple crayon!!! :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

Yup. And I am not afraid to use it.

I bet the HOA of Golden Oaks made them remove the barb wire.....

LOL!

Wondering if that's one of the dogs that chase the geese away. Could be totally wrong.

What geese?

love the additions to the Sunrise Series .... funnily enough it made me think of Genia for some reason

Me too.

But those aren't the kind of butts she likes to look at.

and they installed it around the lazy river at Four Seasons.

TCD, I'm not positive, but I think that some of the writing that has worn off of that sign was written in Farsi. Can you confirm?

You might be right about the lazy river. I will need to go and check on that.

No, I don't think it's Farsi. Maybe Persian?

Can anyone read this for me? :

اموال دولت شاهنشاهی ایران

بخش توسعه هسته ای

Here let me help ya.....

I like got big butts and I can not lie........

LOL again!

I think it's more "take me some butt pics"

Oh boy.

In regards to the truck being back there, it's probably not the case here, but some people use this spot to load and unload carts into the pickup bed.

There's a drop off between the dirt road and the canal. They park the truck at the bottom of the drop so that the ramp for the cart isn't so steep.

I've seen it like 3 times and thought it was clever, plus the off-site vehicle appeals to my rebel nature. Not that I'd ever have a vehicle out of bounds!!!

Could be.

But there was no cart on the truck, or back behind the 300 loop when I went back there. I guess it could have driven off in the other direction.

I have seen folks loading carts the way you describe over by the area across from the 2000 loop bus stop, and also along the driveway into the maintenance area.

I know you would never have your cart back there. You are a rule follower, just like me.

TCD

Yes, right next to the other fiends that are in the photo. I can see our golf cart parking spot. ::tear::

I feel your pain.

We have had trips where I have left my trailer parked out in the overflow lot after checking out and then left later in the day.

It is a sad, sad thing to see new people on the spot you just vacated. They are enjoying the excitement of the beginning of their visit, and you are leaving. Sad.

TCD

Can anyone read this for me? :

اموال دولت شاهنشاهی ایران

بخش توسعه هسته ای

I knew it!

I also made out the following near the bottom of that sign. Any idea what it says?

ما نمی خواهد استراحت تا زمانی که همه کافران از اردوگاه خارج

سپس ما عالی در پنت هاوس چهار فصل با 72 باکره سلطنت

First, let me point out that near-the-top-of-page-9 bragging rights are wide open for anyone who hasn't joined in yet.

Like the lady from Oklahoma.

I knew it!

I also made out the following near the bottom of that sign. Any idea what it says?

ما نمی خواهد استراحت تا زمانی که همه کافران از اردوگاه خارج

سپس ما عالی در پنت هاوس چهار فصل با 72 باکره سلطنت

No, I have no idea what that says, but I don't think it's something good.

Funny, I was driving the other day and saw a metal pilgrim hat on a telephone pole in my town and thought of you. My first instinct was to pull over and get a picture but then I regained my sanity and just drove off with a chuckle.

OK, now that is funny.

Wait, no it's not.

Did your metal pilgrim hat have any Persian writing on it?

We may be on to something here.

And it's not a good something.

at least one of us has sanity

Not so fast.

Are you talking about DVCCamper who almost took a picture of a metal pilgrim hat?

Or are you agreeing that it was good to not take the photo?

Either way, I don't think anyone on this site can be said to be 100% sane.

TCD

First, let me point out that near-the-top-of-page-9 bragging rights are wide open for anyone who hasn't joined in yet.

Like the lady from Oklahoma.

No, I have no idea what that says, but I don't think it's something good.

OK, now that is funny.

Wait, no it's not.

Did your metal pilgrim hat have any Persian writing on it?

We may be on to something here.

And it's not a good something.

Not so fast.

Are you talking about DVCCamper who almost took a picture of a metal pilgrim hat?

Or are you agreeing that it was good to not take the photo?

Either way, I don't think anyone on this site can be said to be 100% sane.

TCD

You have a point. Anyone claiming to have sanity probably needs it the most....

Now about that dog in the shirt.

As soon as I headed his way, a human emerged from the same direction the dog came.

Here he is:

Thanksgiving2012192.jpg

And here's a closer look:

dog2.jpg

So, it's just a dog in a tshirt and his owner. Nothing to see here. Including no leash.

I didn't get a good look at the shirt or a chance to ask the guy exactly what he was up to. I thought it was better not to ask.

So, I made it to my favorite spot.

But, it seems someone has been here before me:

Thanksgiving2012191.jpg

Not good.

You see those hoove prints?

Those must be from the Headless Horseman.

Yikes!

Usually he isn't out in the daylight, so I guess I was safe.

I enjoyed the view:

Thanksgiving2012193.jpg

A little closer:

Thanksgiving2012194.jpg

If you look over to the right in this photo, you can see that one of the big ferry boats is heading out on its way to the MK:

Thanksgiving2012195.jpg

There was something creeping me out in my favorite spot this morning. It could have been those hoove prints or the dog in the tshirt, but I felt the need to move on. So I did.

Here we are in another one of my favorite spots.

Outside Pioneer Hall.

And it is all decorated for Christmas:

Thanksgiving2012196.jpg

And so is Trail's End:

Thanksgiving2012197.jpg

And Crockett's Tavern:

Thanksgiving2012198.jpg

In years past, they would put garland around the top of the porch. They didn't do that last year, and it looks like they won't be doing that this year either.

This wreath hangs outside the doors of the take out area:

Thanksgiving2012199.jpg

The area around the ticket window is nicely decorated:

Thanksgiving2012200.jpg

Thanksgiving2012201.jpg

I had to take a quick peek inside Pioneer Hall. The decorations are up in there, but there is usually a Christmas tree on the stage, and there isn't one there yet:

Thanksgiving2012203.jpg

Some more decorations near the ticket window:

Thanksgiving2012204.jpg

There's the ranch named after me. We will take a look around there later in this trip, but this morning, I had somewhere else I needed to go:

Thanksgiving2012205.jpg

Pioneer Hall again:

Thanksgiving2012206.jpg

Thanksgiving2012207.jpg

Here's something new. Remember, I took this photo on a Tuesday morning:

Thanksgiving2012208.jpg

They kept the take-out area open every night until 11. That is a major change over years past, when they would close at 9 on weeknights and 10 on weekends. As far as I could see, it was the same menu all night. Earlier this year, they experimented with a late night menu. We visited right around 11 a couple of nights, and they just had the regular take out menu posted. Still, that 11 o'clock closing time is a big improvement.

Here's a photo of my favorite Christmas tree in all of Walt Disney World:

Thanksgiving2012209.jpg

I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised to hear that the decorations were up on the Settlement Trading Post:

Thanksgiving2012210.jpg

I decided I needed to go and check on River Country.

So, here we are at the old ticket booth. The plants growing on the roof seem to be doing well:

Thanksgiving2012211.jpg

I wonder if Charlie Brown knows they stole his Christmas tree? :

Thanksgiving2012212.jpg

The old River Country entrance area still looks good:

Thanksgiving2012213.jpg

All the new trees and stuff they planted when they ripped down Pop's Place continue to grow:

Thanksgiving2012214.jpg

The stagnant water in the old River Country pool was a lovely shade of green this morning:

Thanksgiving2012215.jpg

And the blue tanks are still sitting over there to the delight of the mosquito larvae swimming in them:

Thanksgiving2012216.jpg

Time for some more Sunrise Over photos . . .

Sunrise Over the old River Country Pavilion I:

Thanksgiving2012218.jpg

Sunrise Over the old River Country Pavilion II:

Thanksgiving2012219.jpg

Sunrise Over the old River Country Pavilion III:

Thanksgiving2012220.jpg

The last time I was here, they had some Halloween props set up for Backyard BBQ guests to get their photos taken with. They have removed the Halloween stuff, and left the straw and scarecrows. I think that makes these Fall decorations:

Thanksgiving2012221.jpg

If I remember correctly, last year they broke out a snowman family for Christmas, so I'll bet this is the last we'll see of the scarecrows. There is also usually a big Christmas tree set up back here. I hope that is being worked on. They could use some more decorations.

And that's all I have of River Country.

Nothing new back here.

Next up, we will go and see the savages on the 2000 loop.

And the real savages next door to them.

TCD

Thanksgiving2012188.jpg

I could read a bit more of the label than the photo suggests. There is a phone number there toward the bottom right that I was able to make out. It has a 407 area code, so this piece isn't all that old. I could also read an address in Orlando at the bottom center of the label, and over to the left of that, it says "science for a changing world." What the heck is this?

Well, that phone number is 407-803-5500. If you google that number, this site comes up:

http://fl.water.usgs.gov/index.html

If you take a look at that site, you will find that it belongs to the United States Geological Survey (USGS) Florida Water Science Center. And we can see their logo:

header_graphic_usgsIdentifier_white.jpg

To which I say, WTF?

What does the US Government have to do with a canal in Disney World?

My tax dollars at work?

This does explain one thing.

This dam fence definitely seems to be the work of government contractors. Even the dingalings that work at the Fort don't screw up stuff this bad.

So that metal pilgrim hat is probably some kind of government monitoring equipment and not really a metal pilgrim hat.

We are getting closer to solving this mystery.

If anyone wants to read all the government doublespeak on that website and report back, feel free.

oooooh oooh pick me!!!!! They are measuring the flow of the "creeK" to see if there is a drought. Real time. As in they update per hour! So they need the pilgrims to tell them how much water has passed.

Do I get a spike now?

But honestly, if you're gonna have a pilgrim hat, what better kind to have? (says METAL dad...)

LOL!

Hey, you want to know something?

I think I saw one of those metal pilgrim hats right of Belcher Rd. north of where you live, there by Curlew Creek.

Maybe you should go and get it?

Here in New England it's very common for towns to use dogs to chase Canadian geese off the grass in parks or athletic fields. They make a huge mess and destroy the fields. I've never seen any at the Fort, but it doesn't mean they aren't around.

I have never seen a goose at the Fort.

It could be because that dog in the t-shirt has been chasing them away.

You have a point. Anyone claiming to have sanity probably needs it the most....

True.

oooooh oooh pick me!!!!! They are measuring the flow of the "creeK" to see if there is a drought. Real time. As in they update per hour! So they need the pilgrims to tell them how much water has passed.

Do I get a spike now?

Yes, of course you can have a spike. Just let me know when you will be at the Fort. Every Fiend is entitled to a spike.

But, the dam equipment is on the lake side of the canal, so I think if it is measuring anything, it's measuring the water in the lake not the creek.

And if they want to know if there's a drought, can't they just watch the weather like the rest of us.

Wait, it's the government we're talking about. You're probably right.

Grumpy and Happy, dam fences and Charlie Brown's Christmas tree = KFK :rofl2:

While KFK did indeed :rofl2: ..... I couldn't think of one witty comment. At least not an appropriate one.

Sunrise Over The Blow Up Butts.... Is this a new series in the making?

Impatiently waiting on another update....

Thanks. Good to hear someone is amused.

The rest of you ought to read like KFK does. There's sometimes some funny stuff.

It looks like you will be waiting until tomorrow for the next update.

Same here. Why is one Grumpy and the other Happy? I'm trying to imagine, but my mind is taking me places I don't want to go.

Yep. I'm not going there either.

I was thinking it might just be an Oscar/Felix thing.

There's nothing wrong with 2 dudes sharing a camper.

Especially dwarfs.

Heck, there were 7 dudes sharing a little house in the Snow White movie, and no one had a problem with that.

:lmao1: Sometimes it's best not to imagine. (I shall remain silent henceforth and forevermore on this matter.) :))

Me too.

No bragging rights for the bottom of page 9 I'm sure but I shall comment anyway. :) I am soooo enjoying this trip report! Waiting anxiously for the next installment. :suspense:

Hey! Page 9 bragging rights to you! You came in way before the bottom.

Thanks for commenting!

More great updates! Loved the pics of the Christmas decorations at the fort. Sadly none of them were up when we had to leave.

Well, at least you got to see the Sanford and Son site in all its glory.

A lot of it had been taken down by the time we were there. I have some photos of that coming up.

TCD