TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving @ The Fort 2012

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK- I cry uncle!!! I am from Missouri - but Oklahoma was close. Our family had been in Pizza Planet at DHS when we saw you (my daughter noticing your girls first), everyone had to go to the bathroom

Send your daughters on Operation Beefcake for me!

"I think I might know something about this secret Hidden Mickey you mention. On one of our recent visits to the new Little Mermaid ride, there was an off duty CM walking through the queue with us. S

Awesome Rocky Picks! He's georgious!

I showed the pics to Tony, and he agrees with me, no way our Savannah is coordinated enough to play tether ball. She would end up just chasing Rocky.

And Savannah still thinks she is a lap dog, in fact she always gets to "sit" in Tony's lap in the truck while I drive....

Glad the whole family was there, even for a short while!

Will Rocky ride up front in the Explorer? When I had mine, Clemmy "owned " the whole back with the seats down. But she would not ride up front. Just curious.

And like I said, Savannah now "owns" the front passenger seat of the truck.

Thanks!

Around town, Rocky likes to ride in the back with his feet on the console and his head out the sunroof. On the highway, we close the sunroof, and he sits in the back. But if it's just him and the driver, he will sit up front too.

I've never seen a dog play tetherball like Rocky. He does lose track of the concept that he is supposed to hit the ball in only one direction. But, he never misses.

If I didn't know better I might think you were mocking me. ::) But at least I get bragging rights so that's all that counts.

And this is a plug for being Pro Pink cake? :rofl2:

Anyhooooo..... Love the update! Oh to be at FW during the Christmas season. Great seeing the whole gang made it this trip!

While I do love to mock, I am absoluely not mocking you. Page 3 Bragging Rights are good. So are page 4.

Yes, Christmas time is a special time around WDW. They really do it up right.

Glad to hear Jesus and his family are still there!

Me too.

You know, the Reason for The Season and all.

Heck yeah! Pg 4 baby! Nice to see shots of you guys at the site. Awesome that the Nativity is back, kinda hard to have Christmas without it!

Have you fired up your seasonal disc yet? We played it friday by the fire!

As a matter of fact, I have fired up my disc. I have been looking forward to that for a while.

The Fort's Christmas music was playing, and I sure did enjoy it.

Great pictures, especially your family pics at the campsite. You can tell you all have fun together :)

You are not the only one who liked the pink castle. My mother loved it. She took a ton of pictures of it. She still talks about it. And she bought the t-shirt of it. In fact, I bet she still has it.

Hooray for your mom!

I think my oldest DD had a t-shirt with that pink castle on it.

Hers was just a kid size, so even if we found it she couldn't wear it. Your mom should wear hers.

Thanks for the update!!! Can't wait to see the Fort, the lights,......everything for myself!!!!

Well, you will be there soon!

Have a great time.

And enjoy!

I told you to watch the quiet one. They are sneaky and she snuck right on with ol'Santa Goofy.

You are so right.

That is the one we need to watch.

TCD

Hey, I'm here and caught up... Had to go out of town for 3 days and was stuck at a Hilton... I just refuse to pay 14.00 for internet and I have to pay to park my vehicle too.... I am always amazed how they nickel and dime you to death... Even Disney is better than them...

"I think I might know something about this secret Hidden Mickey you mention. On one of our recent visits to the new Little Mermaid ride, there was an off duty CM walking through the queue with us. She stopped and was pointing out details in the queue to her friend. At one point, she stopped at a place near one of those virtual crab portals, and knelt down and pointed to a spot on the wall. She then pointed up to the ceiling and showed where there was an opening. She said that when the sun was in the right position, the opening would cause a shadow of a Hidden Mickey to show on the wall. I thought it was a bunch of BS, but now you mention this. I know exactly where the spot is. Let's meet there next year on November 18th at 1300. Let's hope it's not cloudy that day."

You would be onto something. This is the location I heard it was too, so there may be merit to this. We will meet at that location next year and see for sure. Mark your calendars.

Can't wait to hear about the hidden Mickey. Crazy if it's true!

Love the family pictures! Rocky and Sanford would get along, even if Sanford is named after the best stadium in the world. He also thinks he's a lap dog. Too bad (for me) he really weighs 75 lbs. Luckily he lets Z pretty much torture him. Z doesn't mean to, but 3 year old boys don't understand gentle.

Can't wait to read and see more!

Sometimes we lose sight of why there is a holiday in the first place in order to be politically correct. Screw the political correctness.

Come shovel the snow we got today and lets see how much spirit you have left!

I didn't say I like real snow. Just fake snow. No shoveling required.

thanks but nope.....

when did you get a Lou fetish?

Funny.

Nice swipe at Lou, too.

He deserves it for going into hiding.

Hey, I'm here and caught up... Had to go out of town for 3 days and was stuck at a Hilton... I just refuse to pay 14.00 for internet and I have to pay to park my vehicle too.... I am always amazed how they nickel and dime you to death... Even Disney is better than them...

Disney is just sneakier. They get your money. They are just a bit more subtle.

Great update.

Nice family pic.In that photo, Mrs.TCD and your oldest daughter look a lot alike.

I think you should install a tetherball in your yard, so Rocky can play anytime he wants!

Love the photos of the Osborne lights. Its one of my favorite things in all of WDW!

Heidi

There are actual discussions taking place regarding Rocky getting a tetherball set at home for Christmas. I think he would get tired of it after the first day. Mrs. TCD doesn't think so. At this point, that means Rocky is going to get his own tetherball, unless Mrs. TCD changes her mind.

Wow those Family Photos! Memories to last a life time! Awesome you guy's look like your all have so much fun!

Thanks. It wasn't as much fun as it looks. Just a normal day with the TCD gang.

"I think I might know something about this secret Hidden Mickey you mention. On one of our recent visits to the new Little Mermaid ride, there was an off duty CM walking through the queue with us. She stopped and was pointing out details in the queue to her friend. At one point, she stopped at a place near one of those virtual crab portals, and knelt down and pointed to a spot on the wall. She then pointed up to the ceiling and showed where there was an opening. She said that when the sun was in the right position, the opening would cause a shadow of a Hidden Mickey to show on the wall. I thought it was a bunch of BS, but now you mention this. I know exactly where the spot is. Let's meet there next year on November 18th at 1300. Let's hope it's not cloudy that day."

You would be onto something. This is the location I heard it was too, so there may be merit to this. We will meet at that location next year and see for sure. Mark your calendars.

OK- but somebody send me a reminder maybe in October or so.

I admit that I know nothing about astronomy, but won't the sun be lined up in the same place at another point of the year (like when spring is turning into summer?).

Can't wait to hear about the hidden Mickey. Crazy if it's true!

Love the family pictures! Rocky and Sanford would get along, even if Sanford is named after the best stadium in the world. He also thinks he's a lap dog. Too bad (for me) he really weighs 75 lbs. Luckily he lets Z pretty much torture him. Z doesn't mean to, but 3 year old boys don't understand gentle.

Can't wait to read and see more!

What kind of dog is Sanford?

And what stadium is he named after?

I am guessing it must be where Georgia plays its games, but I don't think I've ever watched a Georgia home game so I wouldn't know.

Is the stadium named after Fred Sanford?

Finally caught up! Your puppy is so cute, especially playing tether ball! Enjoying your TR!

Thanks. Glad that you like it so far.

Because, we are just getting started.

I am very happy that Jesus and family were still there. :)

Wonderful reporting and photos! The lights are completely beautiful... quite a spectacle. ;D I'm sure your oldest DD was thrilled to have her BFF join y'all!

Thanks, KFK.

I was glad when I saw Jesus too. I was afraid that he had gotten the boot from another place. Being replaced by Santa Goofy ain't right, but at least he was still there.

And, yes, we always have fun when my oldest daughter's BFF shows up. She is like a sister to all the girls. The twins enjoy having her around as much as my oldest DD does.

TCD

Sometimes we lose sight of why there is a holiday in the first place in order to be politically correct. Screw the political correctness.

Amen

Yes, amen!

And I'll add an Amen too!

Preach it brother Jim!

But, in this case, I'm not going to criticize Disney. That nativity set is large and is along a main path to the lights. They also still have the Candlelight Processional at Epcot, so we can't say that they have chased the reason for the season away.

Around where I live, there is a county park with a huge light display. Which I paid for with my exorbitant property taxes. They have giant toy soldiers, reindeer, Santa, bells, the works. But no Jesus. Closer to me, in the City of Clearwater, the "Church" of Scientology puts on a big Winter Wonderland display each year. They have a huge Happy Holidays sign, snow, lights, Santa, play areas for the kids, but no Jesus.

At least I can still see Jesus at WDW. He might be a little harder to find, but at least He's there.

TCD

OK, I'm ready for the next update, and will get that up soon.

But, I forgot something important from my Hollywood Studios visit.

As we were on the street taking in the Osborne Lights, a lady came up to me and said hello. She said she recognized me and is a big fan of TCD trip reports. I asked her if she was a member of FortFiends.net, and she said no, just a lurker. She said she was from Oklahoma, and she wasn't staying at the Fort.

The girls are always amazed when something like this happens.

They can't believe that I have anything to say that other people find interesting.

So, lady from Oklahoma, thanks for saying hello.

If you are reading along, which I suspect you might be, why don't you join up and say hello?

It has happened before.

And it is always fun to have a new Fiend!

TCD

As many years as we've seen the Osborne lights, just last year we actually saw the flip of the switch too! Not really exciting, but the little girl they picked was excited and that's really what it's all about. ( or is that the Hokey Pokey? ??? )

So Vanelope is a trouble maker, and she still reminds you of me?!

That is so untrue! Ask all of my friends, they will tell you I'm a perfect angel. ;)

As many years as we've seen the Osborne lights, just last year we actually saw the flip of the switch too! Not really exciting, but the little girl they picked was excited and that's really what it's all about. ( or is that the Hokey Pokey? ??? )

So Vanelope is a trouble maker, and she still reminds you of me?!

That is so untrue! Ask all of my friends, they will tell you I'm a perfect angel. ;)

Yes, it is the Hokey Pokey that is what it's all about.

The lighting ceremony is kind of cute with Santa Goofy. I don't know how they did it before, but Goofy interacts with the family, and there's dancing and such.

I don't need to ask your friends if you're a troublemaker, I've seen you in action-and I've heard stories (e.g. the headlock at HOB). Being a troublemaker is not always a bad thing.

And you need to see Wreck It Ralph. Vanelope ends up being something special. Being compared to her is a compliment.

TCD

We left off with our return to the Fort from DHS.

The plan was to go from there to the MK.

And that is what we did.

We made it down to the boat dock in time to see the Wishes fireworks at 10 pm. My oldest DD and her BFF had not yet seen the new castle projection show, so we were hoping to make it to the MK by 10:30 to see that.

We watched the fireworks from the dock:

Thanksgiving2012134.jpg

Thanksgiving2012135.jpg

Thanksgiving2012137.jpg

A boat pulled up before the fireworks were finished.

That was good.

It meant we would make it in time.

And away we went.

Along the way, we got a view of the EWP:

Thanksgiving2012139.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

How lucky were we?

We made it to the MK by 10:20. The show was at 10:30. Piece of cake.

But, there was one small problem.

Our passes.

Where were they?

The rule in our family is that I hold on to everyone's pass.

I hand them out at the gate, and then collect them back after we get through.

I don't want one of the irresponsible kids to lose their pass.

So we got to the gates, and everyone puts their hands out.

I reach into my pocket, and come up with nothing.

I check the other pocket.

Then the rest of my pockets.

Then my backpack.

All the compartments.

Several times.

The passes are gone.

The girls gave me major grief.

We were going to miss the castle show.

Luckily, they are pretty good about replacing lost passes.

I went to the ticket window and got that taken care of.

But that took about fifteen minutes.

So we missed the whole show.

I was mad at myself. And the girls were mad at me.

Have you ever seen the show Parks and Recreation?

There's a character on there named Jerry. He's the screwup in the office. In one episode, everyone in the office was chanting "Jerry's Fault!, Jerry's Fault!" when he had messed something up.

Tonight, the girls started a chant: "Pappy's Fault!, Pappy's Fault!" (They call me Pappy). And I couldn't complain. I deserved it.

I couldn't believe I lost the passes.

It really bugged me all night, and even the next day.

It wasn't until the next day that the mystery of the lost passes was solved.

That was when Twin #2 was going through her purse, and produced the lost passes.

How did she end up with them?

She couldn't remember.

And neither could I.

This bugged me even more.

About an hour later, a lightbulb went off.

Do you remember those Christmas mouse ears the girls had on in the DHS photos?

They bought those at DHS.

When they did, I had given them some money and the passes, because passholders get a 10% discount.

Twin #2 never gave me the passes back.

I don't know why I didn't remember that.

Maybe I had a couple of beers. Plus I'm old. So I have some good excuses for not remembering.

But what about the girls?

How come none of them remembered?

And, I was the one who got grief for losing the passes!

You had better believe I didn't let them forget it.

Anyway, at this point, the mystery was still unsolved, but we were in the MK, and even though we missed the show, we were still planning to have some fun.

The older girls hadn't seen the Dreamlights yet, so we looked at those:

Thanksgiving2012140.jpg

Thanksgiving2012142.jpg

Those are pretty spectacular too.

The older girls had not seen any of the New Fantasyland area, so we headed there.

Here we are outside Gaston's Tavern:

Thanksgiving2012145.jpg

Don't ask:

Thanksgiving2012146.jpg

And inside:

Thanksgiving2012147.jpg

Thanksgiving2012148.jpg

Twin #1 was still rocking the socks and flops:

Thanksgiving2012149.jpg

We looked around for Gaston, but I guess he goes to bed early.

We then rode the Mermaid ride.

Fun was had by all.

Since the older girls hadn't been in Belle's house, I suggested we head there next.

There was zero wait.

In fact, we were the only ones there.

We had to wait for a while in the room depicting the interior of the cottage. On our previous visits, we moved through this room quickly, and it was full of other guests, so we never had a chance to really look around. Tonight, we had the whole place to ourselves, and had a chance to look at everything.

It turns out that Twin #1 is the same height that Belle was at age 18:

Thanksgiving2012150.jpg

I had noticed on previous visits that there are stairs in the room. I guessed that Belle's room was upstairs, as this room was more like a living/family room. So, I decided to head up the stairs to take a look. I would guess that if there was a CM in the room, he or she would have said I wasn't allowed to go up the stairs, but nobody was there, so I didn't know:

Thanksgiving2012151.jpg

Thanksgiving2012152.jpg

Spoiler alert: There is no second floor! Those stairs are fake! As soon as I turned the corner, there was just a blank wall. So don't feel bad if you don't get the chance to climb the stairs. There's nothing to see there.

Or maybe Belle's room is up there, and I'm just trying to keep that to myself. You may never know.

Since I couldn't go upstairs, I just looked around downstairs.

There are a lot of books:

Thanksgiving2012153.jpg

This magic mirror displays a really scary red eyed demon if you look in it from a certain angle (and there is a red eyed demon handy) :

Thanksgiving2012154.jpg

There is a table in the room covered with plans which we are to believe were drawn by Belle's whacky dad, Maurice:

Thanksgiving2012155.jpg

This book is open for us to see. It has a page full of French text. I have mentioned before that Twin #2 is in AP French in HIgh School. She was also just inducted into the French Honor Society. She couldn't read a word. Public School:

Thanksgiving2012156.jpg

This teapot and cup remind me of something:

Thanksgiving2012157.jpg

This portrait hangs on the wall. It is supposed to depict Belle and her mother. As far as I recall, the movie doesn't tell us what happened to Belle's mom. Maybe she left because she was tired of Maurice and living in a house with fake stairs and too many books. I don't know for sure. Anyway, I think the book Belle is holding in the portrait is the same book we just saw a photo of above:

Thanksgiving2012158.jpg

The title of the book is written in French. Twin #2 couldn't say what it said either. Public School.

More books:

Thanksgiving2012159.jpg

An umbrella stand near the front door:

Thanksgiving2012160.jpg

Did they have umbrellas in provincial France?

Don't ask Twin #2. Does anybody know?

And while we're at it, I don't think they had fire alarms like that either. But I am no expert in such things, so I could be mistaken.

Ever since I saw this chair, I wanted to sit in in. Tonight, I had my chance:

Thanksgiving2012161.jpg

To my surprise, that chair was pretty comfortable.

I took a photo of this shelf so I could look at it later and see if I could see a Hidden Mickey or some detail from the movie. I'm sure there must be something there, but I haven't found it:

Thanksgiving2012162.jpg

Maybe the candle? I don't know.

After a while, some more folks joined us in the room, so we had to behave.

Then we were moved into Maurice's workshop. On past visits, the lights in the room were immediately dimmed, but tonight, they kept the lights on for a while while the CM in there pointed out details to us. There are more plans lying around the workshop:

Thanksgiving2012163.jpg

Thanksgiving2012164.jpg

And some of Maurice's tools:

Thanksgiving2012165.jpg

Here are some more plans. I had not noticed these before, but they tie in with something in the new Be Our Guest restaurant:

Thanksgiving2012166.jpg

In one of the dining rooms of the new restaurant, there is a giant music box featuring Belle and the Beast dancing. These plans are for that music box. The story is that Maurice built it as a wedding gift to the couple. It's pretty cool that the plans for the music box are here in the workshop.

Everytime we visit, one of the items in the room that the CM's seem to always point out is this overhead light fixture, which is said to have been built by Maurice:

Thanksgiving2012167.jpg

After this, we were shown the magic mirror. The older girls hadn't seen it before. Since it wasn't busy, I was able to get a very good look at how it works. It is an amazing piece of engineering.

Next up, we enter the next room and meet up with Wardrobe. The last time we visited, the Wardrobe was broken. I was hoping she was fixed for the older girls to see.

We will pick it up from there in the next update.

TCD

OK- but somebody send me a reminder maybe in October or so.

I admit that I know nothing about astronomy, but won't the sun be lined up in the same place at another point of the year (like when spring is turning into summer?).

No, the Sun is a different distance from the Earth each day of the year. No two days are the same.

You have shorter days in the Fall and longer days in the spring due to that difference in distance.

Great updates!

The Osborne lights are something i am really looking forward to during our second 2013 trip.

You said dont ask.....so I have to ask of course.

The ticket story is funny although I am sure it was not funny at the time.

So Mrs TCD leaves and you look for Belle's room......hmmmmm.