I was just thinking the other day about all those people who have built and are building those milliom dollar homes in Golden Oaks. They have their own security, gate only access, and all that privacy they paid for and expected.

I bet you they did not know and Disney did not tell them they were going to build a muti-story Four Seasons Hotel almost in their backyard, where anyone with a pair of binoculars or a telephoto camera lense, can peer into their backyards.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

99.999% of the world's population would say I'm crazy, but I'd rather live at the fort than Golden Oaks.   I don't want a house that I can't be myself in.  Or that I have to worry if the dog or the gr

It's the "affordable teeth act". You haven't heard of it?     You mean it's a real country. I just pressed random letters.

What?! You mean I can get my teeth fixed? Oh never mind, if you cook that roadkill possum long enough and the correct way, it will just melt in your mouth....

Anyone who builds in a heavily populated, wildly popular vacation area and expects anything resembling privacy is so gullible that I'd like to sell them some new vacation property myself.

Have there actually been any houses built in there yet? I know the high-rise is well underway. So underway, you can see it when you loop around the Fort - which sort of destroys the idea of camping in the wilderness.

There are some homes built in there.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2012/06/golden_oak_1.html

Not sure if there's anyone actually LIVING in there yet though.

• 1 year later...

This photo was just shared on Inside The Magic's Facebook page...

1465311_10151933701972035_1900389215_n.j

Walt Disney World luxury home community Golden Oak now features bronze statues of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs characters.

Photo from homebuilder Issa Homes: http://www.issahomes.com/

https://www.facebook.com/insidethemagic

99.999% of the world's population would say I'm crazy, but I'd rather live at the fort than Golden Oaks.

I don't want a house that I can't be myself in.  Or that I have to worry if the dog or the grandchildren are gonna tear something up.  I don't want to "keep up with the Joneses."  I don't want a house so big that I have to hire a maid to keep it clean.  

I just want a small space of my own in a happy place a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom.  A space where I can hear boat whistles and the EWP.  A space where I can hop on my golf cart and feel the breeze blowing through my hair.  That's my dream.

99.999% of the world's population would say I'm crazy, but I'd rather live at the fort than Golden Oaks.

I think your number is a little low, Gwen.

I don't want a house that I can't be myself in.  

Hmm, I wonder what does that actually mean?

that I have to hire a maid to keep it clean.  

For us, that ship has sailed, so no big deal.

I just want a small space of my own in a happy place a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. :barf:

A space where I can hear boat whistles and the EWP.   :barf:

A space where I can hop on my golf cart and feel the breeze blowing through my hair. :barf:   

I think your number is a little low, Gwen.

I don't want a house that I can't be myself in.  

Hmm, I wonder what does that actually mean?

that I have to hire a maid to keep it clean.  

For us, that ship has sailed, so no big deal.

I just want a small space of my own in a happy place a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. :barf:

A space where I can hear boat whistles and the EWP.   :barf:

A space where I can hop on my golf cart and feel the breeze blowing through my hair. :barf:   

Okay, make that 99.99999999999999999999%.  But I'm not budging from that number, Lou!

You know what's funny, is I think the bottom price for those homes were 1.2 million when the complex first opened, now I think the bottom price is over 1.7 million. Just the difference in the MINIMUM price has gone up more than most sane people would pay for a luxury home.

$1.5 or 1.8 Million isn't going to cut it.

If you look at the actual sales that have taken place per the Orange County Property Appraiser's website, all home sales are well in excess of $2 million.  The lower sales you see on the map are for vacant land, or, in some cases, stated values on deeds that just changed legal ownership:

GoldenOaksSales_zpsea1153df.jpg

If you can't read the numbers, click on that image, and then click twice on the enlarge symbol in the lower right corner, and you'll see the full size image.

TCD

Gwen, I don't think your crazy!!!!!

Thank you, Carol!

For the price of a house at Golden Oaks, we could upgrade Dolly to a newer model, travel whenever and wherever we want (i.e., fulltiming at the fort), and still have a huge chunk to leave to our kids.  I don't have enough years left to spend $2 million responsibly.

Gwen, I don't think you're crazy either.

This is the break-down of the tax bill for one of the houses already in private hands.  This shows the actual 2013 property taxes:

gotaxbill_zps8b1ffdc6.jpg

That's just the taxes. $47+K.  Think about the mortgage payment, insurance, utilities, HOA dues, and maintenance expenses on top of that!  Although, I'd bet a lot of these houses won't even have a mortgage on them.

The owner of this home's primary address is in Brazil, and did not qualify for the Florida homestead exemption.  So this isn't even his primary residence. I can't even comprehend how deep the pockets must be of the folks buying these homes.

TCD

Gwen, I don't think you're crazy either.

This is the break-down of the tax bill for one of the houses already in private hands.  This shows the actual 2013 property taxes:

gotaxbill_zps8b1ffdc6.jpg

That's just the taxes. $47+K.  Think about the mortgage payment, insurance, utilities, HOA dues, and maintenance expenses on top of that!  Although, I'd bet a lot of these houses won't even have a mortgage on them.

The owner of this home's primary address is in Brazil, and did not qualify for the Florida homestead exemption.  So this isn't even his primary residence. I can't even comprehend how deep the pockets must be of the folks buying these homes.

TCD

Wow!  With just the tax money David could quit his part-time job and we could live at the fort.  Not counting everything else.  

One of these days we'll figure out how to be Florida residents.  Right now the prospect of no state income taxes and no $1,500 per year property tax on the moho goes a long way.  Just not quite far enough to purchase an RV lot there and to pay for living at the fort.  Right now the only RV lot we agree on is at Port St. Lucie Outdoor Resorts.  Too far for day trips.

Wow!  With just the tax money David could quit his part-time job and we could live at the fort.  Not counting everything else.  

One of these days we'll figure out how to be Florida residents.  Right now the prospect of no state income taxes and no $1,500 per year property tax on the moho goes a long way.  Just not quite far enough to purchase an RV lot there and to pay for living at the fort.  Right now the only RV lot we agree on is at Port St. Lucie Outdoor Resorts.  Too far for day trips.

Did I read that correctly? $1500 a year property tax on your MOHO??? That's in NC?? The property taxes for my HOUSE aren't that high.