Solo trip, 5k and the Fort in January

So before I start getting any angry PM's that I haven't started my trip report yet I figure I better get going. This trip was very different for me for a few reasons. The biggest one being because I was going in a school week Silvia could not join me. We looked into flying her down on Thursday night for the weekend but it was just too much money.

Another way this trip was different for me was my first time in the 1500 loop. I was fortunate enough that when I started talking about this trip Carol was kind enough to loan me her tent equip so I didnt have to try to fly mine down with me. Thank you again Carol.

Since I was tent camping and solo I had put it out to various people to see if anyone wanted to setup on the site. I figured I had tons of room and the fiends have been good to me. I finally got a taker and Curt and his wife Jody brought down one of their pop-ups to camp in. This was nice for me also as I am renting one of his pop-ups for Silvia and me to use in July. It was nice to get a look at it and re-assure my wife it was big enough as she's never been in a pop-up.

Okay enough monologue. I know Bob wants pictures.

A couple of days before the trip I started packing up my suitcase. I stepped out of the room to go do something and came back to find this.

20130106_175511.jpg

She wanted to come with me. Something about large mice being available.

I told her sorry, kicked her off and went back to packing what i could.

On the night before my flight I was going to my grandmothers in RI as I was flying out of TF Green in Warwick/Providence RI. Gram lives 5 miles from the airport and is awake at 4 in the morning anyway so she could bring me over without any large inconvenience to her. As i packed the last of my stuff in my carryon and checked suitcase, I stepped out and came back to find this.

20130107_173853.jpg

She really wanted a crack at that mouse it seems. I gave her a hug, kicked her off and loaded my stuff into the car. Sil and I headed out to RI so she could drop me off. She visited for a couple of minuted before heading back home and I borrowed Gram's mini-van to go visit some old friends I dont get to see much. got to play with a 1 year old cocker spaniel puppy for a bit and headed back to grams to try and sleep. Between Disney trip excitement and Gram's weird apartment noises I didnt sleep very much. Was up and ready to go at 4 at the airport at 5 and in the air on Southwest by 7:05.

It was an uneventful flight and Magic Express was only a 10 minute wait. I was the last stop and there was no one else going to the Fort on my bus. Here's the best shot I could get of the gates.

20130108_110035.jpg

Anyone else feel like they are watching an episode of MST3K?

Check in was uneventful and I headed over to Kelly's site to get the gear from Carol and picked up my cart and headed over to 1504 to start setting up.

Before

DSC02678_zpsdf546807.jpg

A nice short walk to the Comfort Station

DSC02680_zps0082155f.jpg

and the After

148506_4559607021330_60852026_n.jpg

While I was setting up I got a call from Curt that he was on his way over. His son-in-law helped me finish setting up the tent while Curt setup the pop-up and Jody watched/talked. :rofl3:

Sil wanted to see pictures of the pop-up so I took a bunch and now I will share them with you. Aren't you all lucky.

DSC02594_zps69700d0c.jpg

DSC02595_zpsfc2e3189.jpg

DSC02596_zps2ebb37a6.jpg

DSC02597_zpsf3648ddb.jpg

You had to see this pic at least as it has my sign in it.

DSC02598_zps1ad8ed65.jpg

DSC02599_zpsd7876b1c.jpg

DSC02600_zps78297eed.jpg

DSC02601_zps61c189c5.jpg

DSC02602_zps592c0e0e.jpg

DSC02603_zps77ccfca5.jpg

I was really glad to see the gear he has for this since I would be using it in 6 months. SIlvia and I are both really excited about our first trip in a pop-up.

After I was done I looped for a bit looking for Fiends and saw Stef's site but no one was home so I headed down to the dock to hop to the Magic Kingdom for lunch. Coming up in the next post.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So before I start getting any angry PM's that I haven't started my trip report yet I figure I better get going. This trip was very different for me for a few reasons. The biggest one being because I w

Continuing on..It's 5k day. I had my alarm set to wake me up at 4:30. I was supposed to meet up with Ed to ride over with him but we had separately realized the day before that they actually were run

Usually I am not....as it turns out drop me in DIsney World with no car, No wife to watch out for and a pay day and things change...as well will see over the next few days of the trip.

Excellent! Curt had that rig setup in the spot across from us over New Years, we toured it, and bothered them during setup.

Wish I could've come back up to see the fresh crop of fiends that came in the few days after we left!

When I left off we were heading to the Magic Kingdom. I really love being able to just hop on a boat and head over.

DSC02534_zps8c167b7f.jpg

DSC02536_zps1238471c.jpg

DSC02535_zps7dadd0b0.jpg

I was surprised to find when I arrived everything was still decorated.

DSC02537_zpsc4983214.jpg

DSC02538_zpsc4bbf3a8.jpg

DSC02539_zps65c4bdbb.jpg

DSC02540_zpse4d0e560.jpg

Even the tree was still there.

DSC02541_zpse1ca03f5.jpg

DSC02542_zps277b99cd.jpg

DSC02543_zpsc9722c9d.jpg

I took full advantage of the photopass I had paid for and got lots of pictures with the decorations in them because I didn't know how long they would make it. Those will have to be added later.

I headed over towards Cosmic Rays to have lunch and a show.

DSC02545_zps1640f5fe.jpg

DSC02546_zpsfe977e23.jpg

DSC02547_zps9938cb66.jpg

Sorry Dave I hadnt eaten in so long at this point I think my food just vanished I ate it so quick.

I proceeded over to the New Fantasyland area for my first look at things. It was definitely the most busy section of the park and since it was the afternoon the place was busy.

Took some picture of the Mine Train progress as I walked

DSC02548_zps724cc68b.jpg

and Beast's castle over the Mine Train

DSC02549_zps8efd88a9.jpg

The new "gates" separating the courtyard area of Fantasyland from New Fantasyland

DSC02550_zps7f20b30d.jpg

I thought about going to Enchanted Tales with Belle but the wait time was 75 minutes. I had seen the videos online. No way was I waiting that long.

I continued on to the village.

Gaston's

DSC02551_zpsf0abb076.jpg

This picture was for my wife. I see a bunch of this stuff in my future come July.

DSC02552_zpsf3b7a095.jpg

More Mine Train work

Untitled.jpg

I headed over to Ariel's to see about riding that but it was showing 45 minutes and since I rode it in Disneyland that was not happening either.

DSC02554_zps18a65148.jpg

DSC02555_zps8f6df1ea.jpg

This is about the time I started realizing the wonders of a solo trip. If I didn't feel like doing something I didn't have to feel obligated to. It was great.

The gates to Storybook Circus were closed all week. I headed back toward the entrance to NF (New Fantasyland) and snapped some more pictures as I went.

DSC02556_zpsdcdd8743.jpg

Okay only one more of NF apparently.

I then wanted to check out the waits for Haunted Mansion. On the way over I snapped a pic or Rapunzel's tower.

DSC02557_zps0992a005.jpg

Haunted Mansion has a 45 minute wait as well and I felt like going back to the campground to relax. so that's what I did. I knew though the Castle lights were supposed to be on for one last night that evening so I will be back...after a nap.

Yeah!!

First!

Excellent! Curt had that rig setup in the spot across from us over New Years, we toured it, and bothered them during setup.

Wish I could've come back up to see the fresh crop of fiends that came in the few days after we left!

We would have had a blast hanging out. We may have needed a bigger screen room at Stef's though.

I'm in!

Excellent glad to have you!

Nice start!

FPBR (First Page Bragging Rights).

TCD

FPBR to you and everyone else. Glad to have you along as well.

So after I took a quick nap I saddled up the cart and swung by Stef's to see if they were around so I could say Hi!. The lights were on but no one was home. When we finally met the next morning she over at my site looking for me around then. Go figure.

I headed back to the Magic Kingdom so I could see the castle lights and catch the new projections show and my favorite fireworks show in the world Wishes.

Yeay the castle is still lit up!

DSC02558_zps65e2cd1c.jpg

Oops Blurry

DSC02559_zps7d21b1bc.jpg

That's better

DSC02560_zps26a913e9.jpg

plus a couple from my phone.

20130108_193753.jpg

20130108_201248.jpg

I arrived at 7:30 grabbed a Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar and headed over towards the hub. I found a great place near the partners statue and waited for the show to begin. And here is where I failed you guys. I have no pics or video. I wanted to just sit and immerse myself in the show for that night figuring I would be back on another night to see it again and get pics. Unfortunately Epcot alchohol and Stef Jello shots meant I never made it back for Wishes. That was okay though. I will see them again in July. I have fun doing other things.

After the fireworks I left and went back to the campground to go looping. I hit every loop looking for fiends. Found a bunch of signs but no signs of life and sine I had been up since 4 am I was getting tired. I decided to head for the tent, call my wife and go to sleep.

to be continued.

Yay!! I'm in AND was there!

I can honestly say I was happy to see you pull up to my site every day. You were a lot of fun!

I just told Nate I saw you had started your report so I was going to read it, he said:

"Jason is a cool guy!"

When a 22 year old tells us old farts, we're cool, it means a lot! ;)

Can't wait to see all that you did when you were out and about!

I can honestly say I was happy to see you pull up to my site every day. You were a lot of fun!

I just told Nate I saw you had started your report so I was going to read it, he said:

"Jason is a cool guy!"

I just finished uploading all my videos including the important ones from Jordan's night. When you get to that point in your report I will throw them up on your report. I can honestly say hanging out with you guys may have been my favorite part of the whole trip.

Nate and Jordan are both awesome kids as well and it was great hanging with them. Mason may be my favorite but we won't tell Jedi.

I'm in...first page for me too? It would be first!! :wave1:

Edited to add...Thank you for the shots of Curt's pup. We're renting from him in exactly !22! days! lol

You made the first page Congratulations!

Your welcome for the shots of the pup. He really did a great job setting it up even with the other half of his setup team otherwise occupied. We are looking forward to our stay in July.

Have fun!

I just finished uploading all my videos including the important ones from Jordan's night. When you get to that point in your report I will throw them up on your report. I can honestly say hanging out with you guys may have been my favorite part of the whole trip.

Nate and Jordan are both awesome kids as well and it was great hanging with them. Mason may be my favorite but we won't tell Jedi.

:heart: You're too sweet!

We may need to check that video before we post it. I have a feeling with Jordan there may be one or ten F-bombs dropped.

Can you email it to me? I'll pm you.

Who's going to edit out the commentary on the videos?

ETA:

Never mind, I see Stef had the same thunk.

Jason, AWESOME meeting you. And thanks for the insight on the passes and discount cards.

"Jason is a cool guy!"

I bragged to my kids that Jordan and Nate said the music on my iPod was "legit" (well, they actually put another word in front of that one that I didn't share with the boys)…….they made my day! I agree with Jason. They are great kids, very kind and respectful. And funny!

:heart: You're too sweet!

We may need to check that video before we post it. I have a feeling with Jordan there may be one or ten F-bombs dropped.

Can you email it to me? I'll pm you.

Who's going to edit out the commentary on the videos?

ETA:

Never mind, I see Stef had the same thunk.

Jason, AWESOME meeting you. And thanks for the insight on the passes and discount cards.

Believe me I am working on editing. May not be enough left to make it worth posting or it may sound like R2D2 snuck in. We will see what it looks/sounds like before i post.

I bragged to my kids that Jordan and Nate said the music on my iPod was "legit" (well, they actually put another word in front of that one that I didn't share with the boys)…….they made my day! I agree with Jason. They are great kids, very kind and respectful. And funny!

I can imagine what that missing word is.