Solo trip, 5k and the Fort in January

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So before I start getting any angry PM's that I haven't started my trip report yet I figure I better get going. This trip was very different for me for a few reasons. The biggest one being because I w

Continuing on..It's 5k day. I had my alarm set to wake me up at 4:30. I was supposed to meet up with Ed to ride over with him but we had separately realized the day before that they actually were run

Usually I am not....as it turns out drop me in DIsney World with no car, No wife to watch out for and a pay day and things change...as well will see over the next few days of the trip.

Great update Jason!! I'm all finished up, so the ball's in your court.

I'm so proud you did the 5K!

Great picture of the ball and flag.

NOW I know why you didn't ride TT with us. :rofl2: You could have screamed like a girl, I do!

Wait....I am a girl (I just don't act like one most of the time)

I'll be gone this weekend, but hope to see a lot of updates when I return!

I've always wanted to stay at AKL, and I hear the discount is pretty good for the race.

PS- See how I hijacked your report? TCD would be proud!

Yes, good job with that.

But, thanks for asking those questions.

Some members of the TCD gang have plans to participate in some Disney runs this year, and I'm interested in how things work, too.

Jason-

Great job on the Epcot pics!

Loved the flag and ball one too.

Could have done with one or less turtle pics, but it's your TR do what you want.

TCD

Looks like an awesome Epcot afternoon! How can you go wrong with a Grand Marnier Slushie!!!

I can't think of a way.

Great update Jason!! I'm all finished up, so the ball's in your court.

I'm so proud you did the 5K!

Great picture of the ball and flag.

NOW I know why you didn't ride TT with us. :rofl2: You could have screamed like a girl, I do!

Wait....I am a girl (I just don't act like one most of the time)

I'll be gone this weekend, but hope to see a lot of updates when I return!

Screaming like a girl was not the reason I did not ride with you guys. To be honest my knee was bugging me still from teh 5k and I didn't want to bang it around on the ride. Also I really was hungry.

More please.

:jumpforjoy

Coming right up!

Yes, good job with that.

But, thanks for asking those questions.

Some members of the TCD gang have plans to participate in some Disney runs this year, and I'm interested in how things work, too.

Jason-

Great job on the Epcot pics!

Loved the flag and ball one too.

Could have done with one or less turtle pics, but it's your TR do what you want.

TCD

Thanks TCD. I promise no more Turtle pics in this report.

Yea about that whole running thing. Jody now is considering doing a 5k also, since you don't have to run the whole way. Guess who will have to join her in doing it???!!

It's not too bad Curt. If you can spend the day walking around the parks then walking 5k is easy.

Running is meant to be a means to move or attempt to stop movement of the football, move from base to base, from basket to basket, or a means to flee from the river country panther......not a means to have fun. Just sayin. :)

LOL

During marathon weekend there is plenty of transportation to the expo and to the races. We're local so for other races my dh has just driven out there. The Fort is NEVER a host resort, we're lucky we get a bus...I know when we got back on after the marathon this year I heard complaints from others that the WL and Poly should have had their own bus and not shared with FW. Like everyone is not all stinky and wet from running the same race.

Continuing on..It's 5k day.

I had my alarm set to wake me up at 4:30. I was supposed to meet up with Ed to ride over with him but we had separately realized the day before that they actually were running buses for us poor shlubs at the Fort. He called me shortly after I woke up to inform me of it. If the buses are running it is a much better option than driving over.

So I got up and dressed and ready to roll. It was a little cold still but I drove the cart up to the front and walked over and on to my own personal bus. There was no one else on it. We waited a couple of minutes to see if anyone else was coming and then headed out. He had to stop at Wilderness Lodge to see if there was anyone there. Since there was a bus there already and getting ready to leave he checked if they had room so I would not have to wait around. So i switched to the other bus and off we went.

I got there around 5:30 or so and quickly got the idea what 10,400 people looks like. I had my phones with me for tunes and contacting others so I snapped a couple of pictures.

20130111_054745.jpg

20130111_055645.jpg

I thought I had some shots of the crowd but apparently not. I was in corral D. Yep I was in with the slow movers. I knew some family and other people were going to be there that morning but I figured the chances of finding any of them in this to be slim.

I headed over to corral d and found a relatively clear spot to hang out and wait till we started. While waiting some of Sal's in-laws who were in the same corral came upon me and we all hung out till it was time to start.

As each corral is released they are then stopped just before the start line, they do a countdown, fire off some fireworks and away you go.

Sal's in-laws were moving faster than I was but that was okay with me. When I woke up that morning my knee was giving me some signs that I have had previously that it didn't want to play to hard that day so I had decided jogging any of it was out and I was just going to walk it.

It was interesting as we got backstage at Epcot. seeing some beat up old pieces of rides just laying around in places. We walked right under the outside loop for Test Track. and entered the World Showcase right where Donald has his meet and greet in Mexico.

While back stage I hit my 1 mile mark. The time underneath was the time from when the First corral got to start not mine. I don't walk that slow.

20130111_071530.jpg

As we walked around the world showcase they had characters set up for pictures. Everyone was welcome to stop and get a picture but I did not. Every Character had a long line and I felt if I stopped for that long I might not want to get moving again and I was maintaining a decent pace so I moved on. I will tell you I saw Chip and Dale backstage with no special costuming. A midget Norwegian Daisy in Norway. And by Midget I mean Stef was to tall for this costume. They had Goofy in his Revolutionary garb he wear at the Fort Fourth parade in America. Goofy was in France wearing a beret and collar. Donald was in Canada in his plaid get up and I never actually saw Mickey. I must have missed him somewhere along the way.

While I was over in Front of France heading up to the bridge to England I took a picture that had TCD written all over it.

20130111_073301.jpg

I call it Sunrise over early morning Epcot.

They sent us out the International Gateway and by our second mile marker.

20130111_073531.jpg

We then cut backstage by the millenium building and came back in between England and Canada in the area TCD got all the pictures with the rare characters.

We headed up through Future World right up next to the gates and then circled back in and out of the park by the Bathrooms next to the little gift shop on the left as you come under Spaceship Earth. Shortly after that we hit our 3rd mile marker.

20130111_075508.jpg

This meant we were almost at the end. As we came back into the parking lot I could see the finish line and as I crossed it I stopped the app on my Iphone and i was pleased with the results. I had maintained about 17:10 a mile and finished in about 54 minutes. I was hoping to jog some and set a better time for myself but with my knee acting up I was fine with that.

The finish line.

20130111_075659.jpg

And little did I know at the time but my wife's sister was there at the finish line for us and saw me coming and taped it to share with Sil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcZx1d-bnIc&feature=youtu.be

After I was done I got my medal made of rubber and had my picture taken and headed off to meet up with the rest of the people walking in Jennifer's memory. We all then headed back to our respective resort's to get cleaned up.

I will pick it up after that with a meeting, a boat ride and a first (and hopefully not last) time treat.

During marathon weekend there is plenty of transportation to the expo and to the races. We're local so for other races my dh has just driven out there. The Fort is NEVER a host resort, we're lucky we get a bus...I know when we got back on after the marathon this year I heard complaints from others that the WL and Poly should have had their own bus and not shared with FW. Like everyone is not all stinky and wet from running the same race.

Yeah there were definitely some people after the 5k who couldnt believe they were letting us on with them.

Also last year there were 8500 people in the 5K I guess they let in 2000 more this year. That's a great reason right there not to do one ever again at WDW.

I dont know if I will ever do the 5k Marathon weekend again. This was more of a support for a family member things but I dont have any regrets from doing it.

Once again Jason, AWESOME job on the 5K.

Maybe I've become use to the chaos of the Cooper River Bridge 10K having close to 50K people. So 10K dosen't sound bad for the 5K.

And it was awesome you were there for the family and friends!

Once again Jason, AWESOME job on the 5K.

Maybe I've become use to the chaos of the Cooper River Bridge 10K having close to 50K people. So 10K dosen't sound bad for the 5K.

And it was awesome you were there for the family and friends!

Thanks Genia!!

Jason... Nice work doing the 5K in rememberence of Jennifer. Take care of the knee...

Thanks John!. The knee is doing fine. I must have slept on it wrong or the general Disney Walking was catching up with me.

I'm late but I'm in! I'd run to catch up but then you'd have to listen to me huff & puff & whine.

17:10 a mile is mighty impressive with a sore knee! Way to go Jason!! :thumbsup1:

Outstanding job!!! That is quite a clip for walking. Bravo.

I haven't done a 5K in years, and haven't been up before 5 am in over a year. My hat is off to you just for that!

Thanks!

Awesome job, and I love the sunrise picture!

It really was beautiful. My phone camera didn't do it justice.

Bravo! Bravo! That's awesome that you were able to do the 5K in memorial. I loved the video of you finishing. Very inspirational.

Thanks Ray!

I'm late but I'm in! I'd run to catch up but then you'd have to listen to me huff & puff & whine.

17:10 a mile is mighty impressive with a sore knee! Way to go Jason!! :thumbsup1:

Thanks Pam!

Go Jason! Go Jason!

Thanks Nicki!

Good job on the race photos!

Especially the sunrise one.

I would run a 5K through Epcot just to be able to see the sunrise from the World Showcase like that.

TCD

It was neat to see the World Showcase so empty...with the exception of the people you were walking with.