Next Gen, MyMagic+, what is it?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure Disney will come out with a version that also doubles as a wrist watch. I better get credit for that idea if they do.

In true Disney fashion, I expect a whole new line of tin foil ear hats!

Should I be worried that Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, is on the Disney board? Facebook is so good when it come to matters of privacy. Will these Magicbands automatically identify me as bein

Oh, another question. If the reservations are booked by a travel professional, will the Magic Bands be mailed directly to the guests, or to the travel professional. We have had a small issue with DME tags not arriving in time because Disney mails them to my agent, then they have to get mailed to me, and sometimes that's been AFTER i've gotten home.

I could be wrong about this but, based on the past 30 yrs, I'm guessing that magic bands will still be considered as documents and mailed to your TAs office despite his/her requests to have them mailed directly to the client. DTC works well for brick & mortar TAs with local clients who typically drop by the office to pick up docs before their trip. That doesn't happen as much in today's world of internet bookings and home based agents. IMO it would truly be next gen if DTC would recognize this fact and mail documents directly to clients but I sure won't be holding my breath...

BTW this also wouldn't work well with last minute bookings when there often isn't enough time to process the docs and get them mailed. In cases like that documents typically are waiting at the resort when you check-in. That means, those clients will likely still be arriving at DME without vouchers just as they do now.

So what else can we do with Next Gen?

But before that, lets talk about the Magic Band bracelet. Most of you are aware that it works on RFID technology and that's what does most of the work, but it also has a radio transmitter embedded in it. The reason for that is that to enter the park, you wave the card or bracelet in front of the reader, but asking guests to do that when exiting the park is not going to work. And that's where the radio transmitter comes into play. As you walk out, you'll walk under a structure that is equipped with a gizmo that picks up the signal from the radio in your bracelet and zap, you're counted as leaving the park.

They'll be able tell if a park is clear of guests within seconds.

In addition to making a reservation at a WDW resort and getting FPs before you arrive, you can also make dining reservations, view photos on Photopass, and book activities. You can also do online check-in so that upon arriving at the resort, there is no need to go to the front desk, if the room is ready, you've got the key already, just go directly to the room. And if you used DME, hopefully your bags have arrived and are in your room.

I have the my disney experience app ILou but it crashes whenever you try to add your reservations.....i have noticed many complaints like this on the app comments section.

It might be too soon for you to use it for your upcoming trip.

Sounds like they're still working the bugs out.

It'll be a while.

I'm sure it's confusing because of all the different terminology that's being thrown around. Next Gen, My Magic, My Disney Experience, Mobile Magic, FastPass Plus, RFID, Magic Bands, and probably a few more that I've forgotten, all are part of of the new system. So be patient and let things play out before you dive in. Some features have been rolled out and others have not. Some things will change, others won't. During the transition period just go with flow.

Another feature of Next Gen is the ability for guests to enter information into their profile, only if they wish, that will allow CMs to enhance and personalize their WDW guest experience. In addition to the basic personnel info required on the reservation, you can also enter if you're celebrating a birthday, anniversary, are on your honeymoon, just married, favorite characters or attraction, etc, and it will be available to the CM on the hand held displays that some CMs will be carrying. If anyone has a food allergy or disability that requires special attention, the CM serving you will know ahead of time. Or you can opt out from the system entirely, it's up to you.

They have gates at AoA but I would say half the time they were not closed. Someone was complaining because they had to bring their key. Um, don't you always shut your room door and bring your key when you go to the pool?

i'm glad you can still get a card. not everyone wants to wear bands. thanks lou and the rest... this is good info.

I think when you get the chance to use it and find out how convenient it is, you won't go back to the card.

It'll be like wearing a wrist watch, you don't notice that you have it on.

And if you do decide to wear it, you can buy designer and Disney character versions.

I think when you get the chance to use it and find out how convenient it is, you won't go back to the card.

It'll be like wearing a wrist watch, you don't notice that you have it on.

And if you do decide to wear it, you can buy designer and Disney character versions.

I'm shocked!!!!! :dropjaw: :bugeyes:

I'm shocked!

They are brilliant on selling different ones. I've got sucker written all over me!

Ah, it's all coming into focus now.

MARKETING!!

They have to get their billion dollar investment back somehow.

We were given a generic Magic Band to try on and examine and were shown photos of the personalized versions. No prices were given for the special Magic Bands.

We were also told that, as usual, the 66,000 CMs will be used as guinea pigs soon and will be given a Magic Band to test on a free park day. CMs get free parks, but this will not count against those.

i'm glad you can still get a card.

i would rather keep it in my pocket.

That defeats the whole purpose of the Magic Band. It's kinda bulky as it has some thickness and rigidity to it to be kept in your pocket and it's easier to loose that way. If you opt for the card, you won't need the bracelet.