Next Gen, MyMagic+, what is it?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure Disney will come out with a version that also doubles as a wrist watch. I better get credit for that idea if they do.

In true Disney fashion, I expect a whole new line of tin foil ear hats!

Should I be worried that Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, is on the Disney board? Facebook is so good when it come to matters of privacy. Will these Magicbands automatically identify me as bein

Oh great... I already can't get Brian to take the stupid party bracelet off for weeks. He'll probably wear this thing all year! :rofl2:

I'm sure Disney will come out with a version that also doubles as a wrist watch. I better get credit for that idea if they do.

First of all, lets establish that Next Gen is here and it's not going away, so you either have to accept it and learn how to use it to your advantage or don't come to WDW. Disney is spending a billion, so it's to big to fail.

Too big to fail?

A billion?

I'm not sure if it's a billion, but I know they have spent a lot.

The question I have yet to see answered is why?

I assume, like any company, they invested in this new program with the thought that they will receive a return on their investment.

How is that going to happen?

That's the question I am afraid to hear answered.

Especially since the place is clearly being run by a bunch of idiots.

TCD

Too big to fail?

A billion?

I'm not sure if it's a billion, but I know they have spent a lot.

The question I have yet to see answered is why?

I assume, like any company, they invested in this new program with the thought that they will receive a return on their investment.

How is that going to happen?

That's the question I am afraid to hear answered.

Especially since the place is clearly being run by a bunch of idiots.

TCD

I still stand by my hypothesis, that the answer lies at the bottom of those blue pools at River Country.

Posting this here as well as the other thread, as it does address some concerns...

FWG's good friend Bobby issued a reply today...

January 28, 2013

The Honorable Edward Markey

2108 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515

Congressman Markey:

For 90 years, Disney has been synonymous with high-quality entertainment for families and children of all ages. We use creativity, innovation and technology to create memorable moments and experiences for our hundreds of millions of customers and guests. And, as you well know, Disney’s record and commitment to children’s safety and security and the protection of their privacy is exemplary. People around the world trust Disney and its products. That trust is the cornerstone of our company, and we take it very seriously.

We are offended by the ludicrous and utterly ill-informed assertion in your letter dated January 24, 2013, that we would in any way haphazardly or recklessly introduce a program that manipulates children, or wantonly puts their safety at risk.

It is truly unfortunate and extremely disappointing that you chose to publicly attack us before taking the time to review our policies and/or contact us for information, which would have obviated the need for your letter. Had you or your staff made the slightest effort, you would have found most of the answers to your questions already existed and were publicly available online at
http://corporate.dis...rporate/pp.html
and
https://disneyworld....rivacy-policy/.

In the enclosed attachment, we address the questions in your letter about our new, yet-to-be­ launched program, MyMagic+. However, to ensure that you fully understand our practices as they pertain to children, and our commitment to our guests’ privacy, let me be clear and reiterate the basic facts.

MyMagic+ is a completely optional program that was designed with privacy controls from the outset. Disney does not use personal information to market to children under age 13, does not personalize or target advertisements to an individual child, and never shares children’s personal information with any third party for their marketing purposes. Additionally, parents have full control over their child’s participation in MyMagic+. We have transparent privacy practices, guests can control and limit the amount of information they provide to us — and how their information is used.

Further details are attached

Sincerely,

Robert A Iger

http://www.deadline....icband-privacy/

The best part is that that big long "demand letter" was written without bothering to do any more "research" than reading a NY Times article. Seriously?? You're going to waste the time of the CEO of a major corporation because you spent 5 minutes reading an article in a newspaper?

Ever heard of Google??

I'm pretty sure *I* could have answered that letter by spending about 10 minutes on my laptop.

The question about what will happen with people that are not staying at a Disney resort came up.

When those guests purchase tickets, those tickets will be RFID enabled. They will be able to purchase a MagicBand at an extra charge.

Another question is, will you have to use a smart phone to select your Fastpasses? The answer is no. There will be kiosks inside the parks.

Bobby's letter certainly put that joker in his place.

I thought the same. Kinda harsh language and tone to the dear congressman. I am surprised he took that avenue. I figured that FWG may have written that response for Bobby while they were in the 3000 loop spa... :rofl2: :rofl2:

• 1 month later...

Word has it that a new resource page has shown up on the CM HUB website for the MyMagic program.

Most of what is there now is information that's already been announced, but there are some new sections that have not yet been populated with any content that suggest some other things on the way - Memory Maker, Cast App and Resort Experience.

No word yet if these sections will just be additional information for Cast Members on the existing MyMagic+ program, or if there are still parts of the program still to be rolled out.

Stay tuned!

• 4 weeks later...

WDW News Today has posted an article on the updates made to the MyDisneyExperience app this past weekend that give some additional insight into MyMagic+...

When Disney updated the MyDisneyExperience app last night, they also updated the terms of service that guests using the app must agree to. Some details we have either speculated about or not been informed of to this point were discussed within those terms, so we have decided to highlight the more important new facts about MyMagic+:

Friends

There are two types of friends you can have within MyDisneyExperience: managed friends or connected friends. Managed friends are guests with profiles you create and manage on their behalf. Connected friends are friends who’s profiles you do not create or manage. By sending or accepting an invitation to become connected friends with someone, you authorize those connected friends to plan and modify activities for you including FastPass+ selections. Disney states is not liable for changes, so if your friends mess up your reservations, well, you’re out of luck.

Notifications

Once available, you may choose to receive special email and text alerts during your visit such as itinerary updates, notice of photo availability, and personalized on-site tips and offers. Push notifications will also be an option.

FastPass+

Disney FastPass+ service allows you to select an arrival window to experience certain park attractions, character meet and greets, and quick-service restaurants, and to arrange a viewing location for certain entertainment such as fireworks, parades and shows. You can modify FastPass+ selections for yourself, Managed Friends, and Connected Friends.

You can make FastPass+ selections for one park per day. You may only select and use a FastPass+ selection for a particular attraction, entertainment or restaurant experience once a day. When you initially make FastPass+ selections for a particular park, you will choose a FastPass+ experience set. If your plans change, you may modify the entire FastPass+ experience set until the first FastPass+ experience is used or the first unused experience expires. You may also modify any unused individual FastPass+ experience any time prior to the end of the day.

Magic Your Way ticket holders and Annual Passholders may make FastPass+ selections beginning 60 days prior to use. Selection window will vary for other tickets.

Disney reserves the right to re-assign or reschedule a FastPass+ selection due to an unplanned attraction or entertainment down time or change in operating hours. This will be useful is guiding guests away from attractions when they are down.

http://wdwnt.com/how-early-can-you-make-fastpass-selections-new-details-emerge-on-mymagic/

WDW News Today has posted an article with some speculation on how the "Memory Maker" application of MyMagic+ may work...

http://wdwnt.com/next-gen-memory-maker-to-help-guests-make-video-memories-while-they-wait-in-line/

Excerpt...

While we don’t have a lot of details on exactly what Memory Maker (or My Memory Maker) will encompass, it seems that guests will be able to interact with certain props in queues for attractions and create video memories that they can see on their phones or when they return home.

Here we go.  This 6th element is something that they can charge guests for. It can't be long before they reveal the ultimate element:, which will simply be called: "The Money Maker."

TCD

Absolutely.  What is the business incentive of spending the money they have on development, if it didn't either a) increase operating efficiency, b ) increase revenues by changing guest behavior to open their wallets more, or c) a combination of the above? 

The next element in the "MyMagic" program, called "Resort Experience," has been introduced. It includes the RFID door locks, MLE, and PIN set-up at the front desk.

MLE, Mobile Lobby Experience, is where resorts have Front Office CMs equipped with IPads at curbside and in the lobby to help guests with the arrival and departure process.

CMs can minimize the amount of time guests will have to stand in line by making certain reservations using the IPads.

In addition to what has to be implemented on the guest side, there are a bunch of things to be implemented on the internal side as well.

Will CMs have to get new IDs or will they keep the IDs they have as they've been RFID enabled for years. Will they work with the NextGen stuff?

They're currently used to open CM entry gates at the resorts and parks, including the Forts, which has been RFID enabled for quite some time.

They're also used to obtain costumes as all CM costumes have RFID tags embedded in them.

Once the limited testing being done now is completed, the next biggest test will be conducted using the 66,000 WDW CMs. All CMs will have the option of receiving a MagicBand. Will that be the new CM Maingate Pass? 

• 3 months later...
One of the areas not talked about with the changeover to RFID, is how the conversion of the CM Main Entrance passes and CM complimentary tickets will be handled. CMs have what is called a Main Entrance pass which is used to get family and friends into the parks. The CM or spouse must be present in order to use this method.

CMs also receive Complimentary tickets twice a year. These are stand alone tickets that are the same as Park Hopper tickets. CMs print these out and they can be given to anyone. The CM or spouse does not have to be present to use them.
The current complimentary tickets and ME passes will not work with the new park main entrance touch points and all of the turnstiles will be gone by Sept 1st, something had to change

It was just announced that CMs will have to exchange the paper tickets printed at home for RFID enabled cards.
I haven't seen anything as to what will happen with the Main Entrance passes. My guess is that CMs will get new RFID enabled ME passes, but as 
those are used to get more than one person into the parks at the same time, I'm not sure how that will be done.

If they're starting to address CM RFID technology issues, testing must be going as expected, and it is. Based on the internal guest satisfaction reports I've read, guests seem to like the Next Gen/MyMagic+ gadgets.